Default Mekame's Painting Log

Greetings!

Not the most original title, I know. Anyway, this is a continuation of my previous painting log, located here:

http://privateerpressforums.com/show...rst-Miniatures

As of the time of this thread, I'm a relatively new player who started out about a month before the transition to MK2 was announced (either the best or worst timing ever?), currently running Cygnar and some related Mercs. I had a painting thread up before this to see if I liked the hobby side enough to continue with it -- I had never really done any sort of painting before coming to this game -- and to my delight I most certainly did! Still, the first thread was meant as a trial of sorts, and while I did love the idea of keeping a log to see my progress, by the end my 35pt (MK2 points) army was built and the trial done.

So, I'm restarting it here! This will probably be a bit less structured, though I might use this post as an index of sorts if it gets too long.

Honestly this post could have gone in my previous painting log, but I declared the trial over and done with, so I'm just putting it here.

My first 35 pt army was a red desert based Cygnar, using a slightly darker color scheme. I decided to make an option for myself in making a hunter I could swap out the charger for (plus throw in an ancient squire.) Of course, it needed to be painted first!

The basing is an amusing story here. I decided since it had pathfinder to go a bit more aggressive on the shrubbery etc. So there's a second stand of grass behind him and more rocks? I also have his foot on the rock because... well I'll be honest, I couldn't get it level with that bar below his feet. So he's now perched on a rock instead!

Default Basing Revisited

In honor of the first army's completion, as well as the fact that at this point I decided to do a sort-of merc list involving Magnus and some trenchers for MK3, I decided to revisit my basing schemes and see if I couldn't make any improvements. For one thing, let's be honest here -- the white gravel on the mercs wasn't a bad starting idea, but I was pretty sure I could come up with better now that I had a little experience.

So, I had three ideas after some googling around:

1. Paint the gravel: Paint the gravel grey, maybe highlight it a bit. A simple idea, but one that'd make it more like an actual gravel road that... I dunno, something out of a national park?

2. Grassland: Actually a variant on my desert themes using bits that looked off back then. Paint the red sand I have brown, drybrush a bit when it's done, use the static grass liberally and add bushes for decoration, maybe some rocks. Kinda...normal...honestly, but a bit of interesting variation from my intentionally-barren looking desert scheme before.

3. City streets: The most ambitious of the 3 projects. Use the green stuff I had laying around to make bricks (I used a few online tutorials I totally forget the names of to help figure out how to do this bit), then paint it black. Paint bricks bastion grey/brown, then wash the grey in black wash and everything in brown wash. Seal and call it done. (I'm also considering throwing a few barrels or something from the merc heavy warjack kit on if I have empty space to spice things up later?)

The results of the test, plus a merc model for the next post:

I quickly decided I was not using the grey gravel alone. However, the other two had potential. In the end I decided to use the city streets for merc forces, and the grassland theme for MK3 Cygnar (retiring the desert scheme for now, but leaving the first 35 point army on it since, well, it wasn't bad in the end.)

Now, as part of the 35 pt army and entirely too many troops, Boomhowler and Co. are staying on desert bases. But Ashlynn and Reinholdt are just too urban in environment as I have them painted to pass up a rebasing! Mind you these are earlier models (as in my second one ever for Ashlynn), so the painting on them is quite a bit rougher. But I do like the new basing scheme on them.

Default Another Battle Box

So with MK3 coming up, I decided I wanted to try and get a group ready for a few battlebox tourneys not too far from here. And of course I like painted armies, but good luck getting the Cygnar one painted in time (I DO have it on preorder mind). But hey, there is this one ex-cygnar guy in mercs that can use a lot of the troops I'm planning to paint anyone that happened to get a battle box...

I decided to go with traitor green on this one. The stubble was just done using a bit of armor wash, which I think worked considering he has black hair. I also experimented with a few homemade washes (4 parts water, 4 parts matte medium, 1 part paint recipe I found). The fun part of course was getting him off his original base and onto the one I already put bricks on!
    Last edited by Mekame; 06-04-2016 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Elaboration on what I did

Default Abort, abort!

So the first of the battlebox warjacks I did was the mangler. I was originally going to try for a sort of half rusted out look with this. Use bloodstone for rusty areas, otherwise magnus's green paint job. So basically trying to steal a few ideas from the Rover's paint scheme. The results were... erm...

The results were a warjack that looked like it wanted to play a basketball game after a hunting trip. Turns out bloodstone is good for rust color, sure. But paint it too smooth and uniform and it just looks like another coat of paint, even if you did wash it twice. Note this was an undetailed/highlighted model because at this point I quickly decided this paint scheme wouldn't do at all, and I rapidly painted over it in bronze and green. Kind of a hybrid between the two studio schemes I guess?

...yep, better.

The last model in the merc battlegroup was the rover. For this one, I decided to try the weathering effect again, but a bit less than last time, just using a brown wash over parts of the steel and some heavily dilute arcane blue mixed with some matte medium for the brone. Not perfect with the tech yet, but really I think it turned out decently. Incidentally, since I had the mule barrels left over anyway, I justed them as basing material.

And the full merc battlegroup! The mangler got the other barrel incidentally, at least after I cut off the input line of one of them.

Default I'm not dead yet!

So, I've been travelling some, got a bunch of new minis in a lot, playing MK3 games -- lots of stuff like that. I've also been slowly working on a bunch of trenchers on custom basing, and I'm finally ready to show off the first and largest piece -- the trenchers infantry unit +3 weapon attachments.

I took a few ideas from some of the models I had seen in the lot -- the guy was a good painted -- and decided I probably had enough experience I could finally try eyes again. Still not perfect, but painting 17 guys does give you practice! (Skipped 3 due to trouble getting at the eye area from guns, repeated 7 after I realized I was making them too big.) Also got far more aggressive with the highlighting this time in some areas.

Also the bases... heh, the sand bags took a bit to figure out! Still have one on there that's probably too big. Otherwise it's painted match sticks, green stuff, and some fake modeling razor wire mostly. Some modeling water puddles and foot prints from the toops.

Next up, the command attachment.
    Last edited by Mekame; 08-10-2016 at 10:18 PM.

Conqueror

Looks cool! Was wondering how the plastic trenchers would look. Be mindful of colour choices and placement as the trenchers' gold, skin and leather are a bit close to each other in hue, so the different elements of the model are a bit hard to identify.. at least in the photos.

Another thing I'd suggest is to introduce much stronger shadows and lights to your models, and thinning your paints with water

Thanks for the advice! ...heh, yeahhhh, I may have gotten lazy with the water on the metallics on this unit given the sheer number of them. Good to know it shows so I can avoid that in future!

Ahh, speaking of lights. I actually did make an attempt at that on the back of the model.

I may see if the added high and lowlights on the metallics help, since I don't want to do a total palette swap on the command attachment. If that doesn't work, I have two master gunners and Maxwell which are technically solos, so I can go farther out on the color scheme there.

Next model up: Siege again. Normally I don't like to redo models -- shows me how much progress I've made, plus I still have a LOT I want to do. But in this case, since he'll probably be leading this army and, frankly, he was the third model I ever did? I decided to make an exception this time. That, and his base was screaming to be put with this basing scheme.

And finally finished up the trencher officer and sniper. Still playing with highlights, but fairly pleased how they turned out overall.

Also, yay! Full trencher unit with all the trimmings is finally complete!

Officer:

Sniper:

And the full unit together:

...wow that took a while, but it was worth it.

Next up is probably the Grenadier warjack. Already have a journeyman from a lot sale, so I may as well give it something to pilot for this army!

Finished up the grenadier between yesterday and today. I decided to try the more exaggerated highlights on the edging of that jack; happy enough with the results, especially at a distance.

Next up, the gun mage captain adept. Planning to use a subset of the army with a few other models for a 50pt, so bumping him up in the schedule a bit.

Now, I know what you're thinkin'. Did he load that gun with flare-shadowfire or brutal-snipe? Well, truth is in all the excitement I kinda forgot myself. But I'm a gun mage captain adept, one of the most powerful toolboxes in all of Cygnar, and this here gun is liable to blow your head clean off. So what you gotta ask yourself is... do I feel lucky?

Destroyer of Worlds Defenstrator's Avatar

Those bases give them a lot of character.
    Quote Originally Posted by John of Arc View Post
    Who hates Steelheads? That's like saying "Man, screw bread. Bread can go die."
    Our Warmachine and Hordes Blog.

Thanks! Took a few prototypes and a good bit of green stuff, but worth it. I also learned that metal snippers are way more efficient than a hobby knife at cutting match sticks.

So I got sick for a week, then got busy, hence the delay.

Figured I'd do the army's last jack next, since I had a decent bit of time yesterday. I'm pretty happy with how the basing came out with this one. The kitty I took inspiration from WW1 for, where they'd sometimes inhabit ships or trenches hunting down rodents. That and I happened to come across some random animal figurines a while back, so why not?

So as an aside, I went back and replaced all the sand from the bases from the first trial with a mix of the wintery-type from the GMCA and a few more... forest/garden like ones. That stuff kept coming off and I didn't want it to damage my models.

Anyway, next up is Finn! He didn't turn out too bad I don't think; not a masterpiece or anything, but I think he'll go well with the trenchers. I really like how the rusting on the gun turned out, though.

Next up is the two master gunners. Used a different color scheme for these two given the amount of coat on them and what that would have meant if I'd used the default theme (ie, a giant mass of brown.) They're obviously a bit off from the rest of the trenchers as a result, but they're close.

Last up for this army will be a min unit of field mechaniks!

Ok, so looking at the pictures I decided my detailing on the shadows wasn't satisfactory. So, I went back and made a few adjustments!

Default Field Mechaniks

So for the final unit: a group of field mechaniks! I was actually so close to done I decided to marathon these last night and tonight, and given the army I did them in a sort of Murdoch-inspired trencher them.

I have to say I am quite pleased overall. ...also, yes, I had lots of spare Ironclad heads. And a hand. And part of an arm that I'd cut the ball off of for other purposes.

The grunts:

The full unit:

The leader in reverse:

Last edited by Mekame; 10-08-2016 at 09:39 PM.

Default The Trencher Army, Complete

And with this the trencher army is finally complete. I can't actually take credit for the journeyman I'll admit, but otherwise, all my work, and I'm looking forward to fielding this force.

For the next step I'm going to go and deal with a few other models that I have I've been wanting to do, both for an army I just threw together and some others I have. First up, Johnas Murdoch.

Default Inadvertent Trencher Epilogue

So he's not part of my trencher army, but he is a trencher, and he might make it in the same pairing as the trenchers for a while. Seemed appropriate to do him now!

Default The Piper

So for the last model for my initial pairing (that I didn't already have done one way or another), I present the Piper of Ord. I decided I liked the idea of using more protectorate-esque pants on him (well, I decided I wanted red and rolled with it), but Cygnaran-style whites on the belt and a standard black jacket.

As for what's next... not quite sure yet honestly! I do have a stormclad, about 3 models from the starter set, and another caster I can do against my wall, so probably one of those.

So I decided to try my hand at the default Cygnar color scheme and a base idea I had. And I happened to have a certain battle box caster laying around, so...

This brightness seems, well, weird. Especially after the trencher army -- base blue instead of exile, gold instead of bronze. But, it kinda works with the electro coils (which I'm also practicing on here.)

Now, that early winter snow base... that's never happening again. I swear it looks like salt deposits...

And the last of the battlebox (I am doing; already have two lancers and the ironclad got converted to Triumph): The Firefly.

For the next one: a stormclad I may have won in a MK3 release event that I just now got around to.

Did a lot more highlighting on this, but kinda happy I did. Oh, and I did use model railroad track as a base prototype here. Looks decent with the robot, not doing any more of them. Far, far too much work.

Last edited by Mekame; 11-23-2016 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Added some gauges to the boiler.

I love that you put some extra effort in to your bases. It really lifts your models to the next level. If i were to adjust something i would look for tutorials on how to paint eyes. You have a steady hand it seems, but you could use a better technique. For example you can try painting the whole eye black first and then doing two small white dots on the sides. There are plenty of good tutorials you can use for tips. You have the requisite skills, but the technique you are using is sub optimal imo

Thanks! I always rather enjoyed the creative aspect of basing the models; create something from scratch when puts the models in the world somewhere. And trust me, the steady hand thing was not innate. Lots and lots of micropipetting during grad school and practice with a brush over the last few months, learning to brace my hands against the same thing the model was sitting on, that kinda thing.

That's a good idea; I'll do a bit of research before the next batch (the horses probably.) I, um, may have just kinda come up with the current one on the fly.

Yep, units take a while.

Still, I finished out my latest project: one unit of storm lances.