Destroyer of Worlds Lord Azathoth's Avatar

Default New Expansion Idea: Spell Deck

The other thread gave me an idea.

More of the same expansions are fine, but how about an expansion that really changed up the core gameplay?

I propose a separate spell deck you could draw from for the cost of 2 War or Command. You could then use those purchased spells at any time to affect battles or other areas of play.

Examples:
    Freezing Grip, Effect: Target enemy card's power is reduced to 0 until end of turn
    Sacrificial Pawn: Move target warrior card from your hand to your occupying forces pile. Draw two extra cards at the end of your turn.

This gives you a way to more actively interact with an opponent and something to do with excess resources instead of just cycling cards.

What do you think?

Destroyer of Worlds tutenkharnage's Avatar
    Mucking about in the swamps of western Immoren

I think it's a good idea, but you could do it without a deck of cards. Either limit the spells by faction, or limit them to particular warcasters/warlocks. Perhaps one spell for each warleader, usable only when the warleader is put into play. This limits the effect, just like the feat abilities, so it allows for something as powerful as your Freezing Grip example. Each warleader would have only one spell, which would be in line with the stripped-down vision of the game.

I was thinking of that at first - having faction specific spells or being able to pick spells based on the Warcasters/Warlocks you choose. I kind of like the idea of it being random what you get though. I also didn't want to tie to to Warcaster activation as the goal is to have something you can surprise your opponent with to create more of a connection between players. Most deck-building games suffer from a lack of direct impact on other players - sure in this one you can wage war, but the inactive players are still very much restricted in their ability to affect the outcome. I am looking for a way to keep players engaged and impacting each other.

However, I am not really set in any ideas, I just think it would be nice if future expansions really mixed things up a bit and offered a different play experience instead of releasing just more of the same. Most successful card (and board) games work that way, and players can choose to use or ignore expansion rules as desired. I'd love to see a future where friends sit down and say something like, "High Command, Spell and Mechanika expansions are in, but no Blight".

I'm not a big fan of "gotcha" event cards, which I think it's easy for spells to become... A large part of why I like (and still play!) this game is because it doesn't have surprise triggers. If spell cards are just single use buffs that are played on your turn, not much distinguishes them from warcasters... Also, many models have spell abilities as their own special rules.

Not to rain on your parade, of course! I have my own ideas... I think that spells should be built into each faction's deck, to make them faction specific and for e tough decisions. Make them Rush only, one use and then they go to occupying forces. That way, the spells can maintain powerful effects but can't hold territory or contribute resources. So the player must weigh the benefit of including them, and try to use them at the opportune moment. Perhaps you could allow spells to be rushed during the opposing player's turn, after their deploy step is concluded. This allows you to react to your opponent to a small degree, but if spells are rush only they're at least aware of the potential.

I'd love to see terrain as another new rule added to the game — give each faction a few terrain cards that change the active effects of the location. Perhaps Circle can summon forests which make it more difficult to rush cards, while Protectorate can sanctify a location to prevent opponents from rushing warcasters. The locations are worth victory points, but the victory points go to the opponent who captures the location they're deployed on. It gives the player a "home field advantage", but you risk your opponent taking the victory points from you if they capture the zone. It also allows you to make some of the more tame location decks, from the core sets, a bit more exciting to fight over.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSuchMethod View Post
    You know, there's really no evidence to prove that St. Barnabas was not an alligator person.

I really like the idea of Rushing spells - you are right about the tradeoff being a balancing factor. I also like the terrain idea but that may be implemented with spells too - for example Circle can Rush the Rapid Growth spell that attaches to a location and prevents non-Circle cards from being Rushed there (or Fertilizer, damages an enemy and has the no-rush restriction until the start of your next turn).

Yeah, in general I'd be more interested in this kind of expansion than just another "new model represented in a card" type expansion.

Destroyer of Worlds Martyr of the Cause's Avatar

I had a very similar thought to this, where you could mix Faction Spells into your deck and use them as "interrupts" during battle. Ultimately, I decided that would throw off too much of the relative predictability to battles (which is part of the game's charm).
    The Eternally Loyal,
    Martyr of the Cause