Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: KGB: Irusk2

Atm I am playing the WGI because without Uhlans I love 2nd target for Battlelust (and 3 are a bit meh). WGI with Joe go to Pow 12 Weaponmaster which is nice.

Obviously I would love a full Unit of Uhlans. Currently they are one of the few things my Khador setup lacks imo (not counting stuff like WGRC spam). Because I would love a cavalary charge with Battle Lust!!!

I really have to find me some lonely Uhlans.

Ogrun was just 5 Points left and beeing afraid of shooting. Tinker looks more like a filler than really usefull.

Do you have problems with terrain? A reason for Saxon was that I really don't like to be hindered by terrain. Or is Irusks feat enough?

Our meta is filled with colossals who splat light infantry at a range <12". Here's my try at showing them what's for.

Irusk 2
    - Behemoth (Gets FFE turn one so that Irusk never has to give him focus.
    - Ruin (Tries to get him into the enemy lines as fast as possible, then cast Battle Lust)
    2 x Shocktrooper Boats (Max Shocktroopers + Officer, Kovnik, Max Battle Mechanics) - They shield Irusk and stay in his Tough Bubble.

I'd probably drop it with my Strakhov Heaven's Piercing Spear list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadam View Post
    Protectorate: When you are villain even in your own story.
    If Cryx and legion had a bikini contest who would win: Deneghra, Saeryn, or the intruding Morvhana?
    Gabriel's Character Sheet - IWC

Combatant

Quote Originally Posted by TheBronzebackKing View Post

Irusk 2
    - Behemoth (Gets FFE turn one so that Irusk never has to give him focus.
    - Ruin (Tries to get him into the enemy lines as fast as possible, then cast Battle Lust)
    Sad to say but Battle Lust is a spell that can only target warrior models.
    Upkeeping FFE on behemoth cost one focus and one allocated focus on Behemoth have the same effect for the same price. Perhaps you could try to put FFE on another good target, a winter guard rocketeer, mortar or field gun perhaps?

Conqueror

With the spoiler of the winter guard kommand theme i figured out this list

Irusk2
    Conquest

Full WGI+3WA
    Full WGI+3WA
    Full WGRC+3WA
    min mechs
    fieldgun crew

Kovnik joe
    Artillery kap

WGI UA Free
    WGI UA Free
    Mortar crew Free

Maybe you can trade the conquest for 3 juggy and then drop the mechs for adding a second mortar, maybe.

Soooo many sac pawn for Erusk, sooo many bodies to block charge lines and jamming opponents. Than conquest, mortar and field gun shoot the enemy to death.

I think this could work. I'll try this out on monday, maybe!

Quote Originally Posted by Skathrex View Post
    Atm I am playing the WGI because without Uhlans I love 2nd target for Battlelust (and 3 are a bit meh). WGI with Joe go to Pow 12 Weaponmaster which is nice.

Obviously I would love a full Unit of Uhlans. Currently they are one of the few things my Khador setup lacks imo (not counting stuff like WGRC spam). Because I would love a cavalary charge with Battle Lust!!!

I really have to find me some lonely Uhlans.

Ogrun was just 5 Points left and beeing afraid of shooting. Tinker looks more like a filler than really usefull.

Do you have problems with terrain? A reason for Saxon was that I really don't like to be hindered by terrain. Or is Irusks feat enough?
    Iron Fang Uhlans are just so solid it's silly, prime reason remains how well Tactician works out for them, with Reposition basically creating the best possible Warrior mix, all still immume to blast damage so continue to feel free to directly fire into their enemies with Behemoth and Mortars or Airburst . As soon as you'll find your (second hand) Uhlans you won't look back .

In addition to what the Uhlans do offensively they are still also very perfect to use as a screen to Irusk 2, only charging when the option presents itself, otherwise you could even use the Mortar/Field Gun crew to block LoS to Irusk 2, that's how I usually do it and manage well without Shield Guard. In general this army isn't designed to thake on dedicated gunlines. By large because those are still very effective into infantry and while Irusk 2 can try it there is no real reason to make life difficult when you also have the easy acces to 6+ ARM 20 BOX 34 models with Butcher 3, Karchev, Harkevich, Strakhov, Vladimir 1 and maby even something of your own design.

I personally use a unit of Iron Fang Pikemen (max) and Iron Fang Uhlans (max), who all come with Boundless Charge on top of the Irusk 2 Feat, the result of that so far has been a very efficient way to migate possible issues terrain can offer to other builds. If your not confortable with that idea or prefer to use Kayazy mixed with Winter Guard choice you could consider Saxon (but remember he isn't affected by most of the key abilities Irusk 2 comes with). Staying in-faction is heavily rewarded however.

-

Oddly the recent Winter Guard Kommand Theme force doesn't really spark my interest for Irusk 2, instead I think Vladimir 1 and Butcher 1 mainly are now onto the same level as Irusk 2 was, not in terms of force survivability but much more in terms of Warcaster survivability. Finding a spot to Vladimir 1 or Butcher 1 was the main plan when masses of WGRC and Rocketeers where spammed but this has become much harder to apply.

What I can't wait to test is to Sac Pawn from Warcaster to Jozef to Sac Pawn from Jozef to other Winter Guard Unless I'm missing something this should be possible I believe, which is not only fantastic but also very funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Malte View Post
    Upkeeping FFE on behemoth cost one focus and one allocated focus on Behemoth have the same effect for the same price. Perhaps you could try to put FFE on another good target, a winter guard rocketeer, mortar or field gun perhaps?
    I suppose this would make sense if Irusk2 had Sylys? Though there was no mention of this...

Anyway, that way, Irusk2 could cast Fire for Effect on Behemoth in 1st turn and later upkeep it free and save one focus per turn for the rest of the game, still leaving Behemoth able to shoot at full capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by RedCommander View Post
    Anyway, that way, Irusk2 could cast Fire for Effect on Behemoth in 1st turn and later upkeep it free and save one focus per turn for the rest of the game, still leaving Behemoth able to shoot at full capacity.
    There is very little to no point in casting FFE on Behemoth Mortars, Rocketeers and Field Guns or Destroyer on the other hand is more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by JDAntoine View Post
    There is very little to no point in casting FFE on Behemoth Mortars, Rocketeers and Field Guns or Destroyer on the other hand is more interesting.
    Yeah, allocating 1 Focus to Behemoth is over 99% of the time totally affordable.

However, FFE w/Sylys would save that one Focus point in later turns. I can see the potential value in that, even if I don't think it's very effective use of points. Of course, without Sylys, casting FFE on Behemoth is never good idea if it's possible to allocate Focus.

Edit: Scratch that. You'd still need to most likely up keep Solid Ground, so you wouldn't save any Focus in the end. Okay... so if you play Irusk2 and have Sylys but don't need to cast and up keep Solid Ground (or any other up keep spells) for reason X, casting FFE on Behemoth in turn 1 would save Focus in later turns. That's too spesific and niche situation.
    Last edited by RedCommander; 01-19-2017 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedCommander View Post
    Edit: Scratch that. You'd still need to most likely up keep Solid Ground, so you wouldn't save any Focus in the end. Okay... so if you play Irusk2 and have Sylys but don't need to cast and up keep Solid Ground (or any other up keep spells) for reason X, casting FFE on Behemoth in turn 1 would save Focus in later turns. That's too spesific and niche situation.
    Exact.

I use Sylys with Irusk 2 all the time and understanding his spell priorities is one of the keys to playing Irusk 2 'competative' or 'wrong'. I've seen some examples where Solid Ground and Tactican arn't used, for lack of better words, if you don't play him for those spells and abilities you don't have to play Irusk 2 at all. It would be akin to playing Butcher 1 but not using his Feat or Vladimir 1 and not cast Signs and Portents.

Playing Irusk 2 requires you to understand the several levels of tactical depth he has (most of all Khador Warcasters in my honest opinion), target priority matters, dropping or upkeeping Artifice of Deviation matters per match up... In a lot of cases even Energizer is a spell you should consider to use turn 1 and 2....

-

Here is my little list of questions I usally ask myself and consider for Irusk 2, the steps might help newer Irusk 2 players to understand how to use the maximum potential Irusk 2 has to offer to us:
    1. Tactician/Total Obiedience: Am I using my Warrior screens correctly? Remember that Tactician allows you to move any Warrior model through ANY Warrior model. Meaning Iron Fang Uhlans shouldn't be jammed because you ran them in front of the deployment because of your own forces. (Unlike usual Irusk 2's Uhlans are very manouvrable)
    2. Sold Ground: Do I use Irusk 2 at all? Start with this spell in every match you see Warrior models and obviously Knock Down effects or Blasts! Which are 9 out of 10 match ups you should Irusk 2 for. Also keep in mind that this allows you to abuse 1. Tactician even more as there is little to no AoE downside to clumping up. In fact you even gain Tough if your close enough to Irusk 2.
    3. Artifice of Deviation: Gunners or non-Pathfinder? If your opponent has 1-2 units who are very efficient gunners, use it on your most important asset in that game, this can be anything . Otherwise it is a control piece that can keep non-Pathfinder pieces just out of melee in specific cases. So use pre-meassurements to your advantage when using this. [Also keep in mind your models do not have to be completely within]
    4. Airburst: What does your support do? It is a AoE 4, does not require usual ranged 'checks' and is incredible in dealing with support. This spell has won me more games as AoD because it's magical offensive AoE 4 that just eliminates single wound things that are within Irusk 2's CTRL.
    5. Energizer/Battle Lust: What needs to go down and when? Simple part of Irusk 2 and the prime reason as to why 2 Warjacks with him are never a bad idea, the mix of models is just too hard for most opponents to handle. Behemoth is your friend but so is a Destroyer or Devastator and even a Juggernaut or Kodiak is a solid investment.
    6. Fire for Effect: Do I need additional ranged support? Really FFE is the spell that is the least relevant on Irusk 2's list but it can come in handy on pieces mentioned above. Since the cost increase of Behemoth targets have been a bit harder to find as I can't easily jam a Mortar in there for the sake of it

Hmm, I forgot Battle Lust is warriors only. Now I'm thinking drop Behemoth and Ruin for a Conquest and Sysls/a Bokur. Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadam View Post
    Protectorate: When you are villain even in your own story.
    If Cryx and legion had a bikini contest who would win: Deneghra, Saeryn, or the intruding Morvhana?
    Gabriel's Character Sheet - IWC

Quote Originally Posted by TheBronzebackKing View Post
    Hmm, I forgot Battle Lust is warriors only. Now I'm thinking drop Behemoth and Ruin for a Conquest and Sysls/a Bokur. Thoughts?
    Try Behemoth with a simple Juggernaut, Devastator or even Marauder if points feel tight. Prime reason: Energizer.

What is your current Irusk 2 list JD ?

Destroyer of Worlds

Erusk should always always be upkeeping Solid Ground (the only exception being if everything is dead, or he's going all-in on a desperate Airburst assassination or something). Having tough models who can't be knocked down is a huge part of what makes him so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingmabus View Post
    What is your current Irusk 2 list JD ?
    Still largely the same as it used to be, just swapped the Mortar for the Field Gun in order to compensate with the Behemoth cost increase. However to date I still am eager to switch out the Juggernaut for a Devastator or Destroyer for more blast juicyness, a Gobber Tinker hanging around with Behemoth would fill in the slot of the Field Gun then. You can also obviously go for a Marauder next to Behemoth but I think the Destroyer route might be the most potent one of all. (which still feels odd to say)

Irusk 2
    - Behemoth
    - Juggernaut
    - Sylys
    Iron Fang Uhlans (max)
    Iron Fang Pikemen (max)
    - CA
    WGRC (min)
    - 3x Rocketeer
    Kovnik Jozef
    WGFG
    Objective: Armory
    Up for next:

Irusk 2
    - Behemoth
    - Destroyer
    - Sylys
    Iron Fang Uhlans (max)
    Iron Fang Pikemen (max)
    - CA
    WGRC (min)
    - 3x Rocketeer
    Kovnik Jozef
    Objective: Armory
    The one downside to the list below is that turn 4-5 you don't have the man-screen you'd otherwise have by using some of the Field Gun Crew. Which isn't too big except for the few cases where it is :P

Quote Originally Posted by JDAntoine View Post
    Iron Fang Uhlans are just so solid it's silly, prime reason remains how well Tactician works out for them, with Reposition basically creating the best possible Warrior mix, all still immume to blast damage so continue to feel free to directly fire into their enemies with Behemoth and Mortars or Airburst . As soon as you'll find your (second hand) Uhlans you won't look back .

In addition to what the Uhlans do offensively they are still also very perfect to use as a screen to Irusk 2, only charging when the option presents itself, otherwise you could even use the Mortar/Field Gun crew to block LoS to Irusk 2, that's how I usually do it and manage well without Shield Guard. In general this army isn't designed to thake on dedicated gunlines. By large because those are still very effective into infantry and while Irusk 2 can try it there is no real reason to make life difficult when you also have the easy acces to 6+ ARM 20 BOX 34 models with Butcher 3, Karchev, Harkevich, Strakhov, Vladimir 1 and maby even something of your own design.

I personally use a unit of Iron Fang Pikemen (max) and Iron Fang Uhlans (max), who all come with Boundless Charge on top of the Irusk 2 Feat, the result of that so far has been a very efficient way to migate possible issues terrain can offer to other builds. If your not confortable with that idea or prefer to use Kayazy mixed with Winter Guard choice you could consider Saxon (but remember he isn't affected by most of the key abilities Irusk 2 comes with). Staying in-faction is heavily rewarded however.

-

Oddly the recent Winter Guard Kommand Theme force doesn't really spark my interest for Irusk 2, instead I think Vladimir 1 and Butcher 1 mainly are now onto the same level as Irusk 2 was, not in terms of force survivability but much more in terms of Warcaster survivability. Finding a spot to Vladimir 1 or Butcher 1 was the main plan when masses of WGRC and Rocketeers where spammed but this has become much harder to apply.

What I can't wait to test is to Sac Pawn from Warcaster to Jozef to Sac Pawn from Jozef to other Winter Guard Unless I'm missing something this should be possible I believe, which is not only fantastic but also very funny.
    Funnily enough, that day I got my Unit Uhlans (1. Hand from a local store who stops selling PP-Stuff so they gave a hard discount). Hadn't had the chance to test them though. Only played 1 game since then, and that was Skorne.
    Not likely to change in the next month.

But I have already found 2 places for them (Kozlov for ADR, and of course Irusk2 with more or less your list) and I am even considering using them with Strakov.

Don't Mortar and Fieldgun have som special rules that they are treated as smaller bases?
    But screening with Uhlans works well to. I think I really have to get used to beeing able to move threw my own Stuff. And with both IF and IFU I don't really need Saxon that much.

An issue I am having with Irusk 2 (and what cost me my 1. game with him) is the fact that he kinda likes to be all in one place with his army. How do you play Scenarios with 2 Zones? Are the Uhlans enough "Flank"?

I'd probably drop it with my Strakhov Heaven's Piercing Spear list.
    I am interested to hear what that List is @TheBronzebackKing.

Quote Originally Posted by Skathrex View Post
    Funnily enough, that day I got my Unit Uhlans (1. Hand from a local store who stops selling PP-Stuff so they gave a hard discount). Hadn't had the chance to test them though. Only played 1 game since then, and that was Skorne.
    Not likely to change in the next month.

But I have already found 2 places for them (Kozlov for ADR, and of course Irusk2 with more or less your list) and I am even considering using them with Strakov.

Don't Mortar and Fieldgun have som special rules that they are treated as smaller bases?
    But screening with Uhlans works well to. I think I really have to get used to beeing able to move threw my own Stuff. And with both IF and IFU I don't really need Saxon that much.

An issue I am having with Irusk 2 (and what cost me my 1. game with him) is the fact that he kinda likes to be all in one place with his army. How do you play Scenarios with 2 Zones? Are the Uhlans enough "Flank"?
    Fantastic to read that you have the Uhlans, again I think they are amazing with Irusk 2 and Strakhov and same applies to practically most lists that can improve their damage output, such as Vladimir 2/3, Butcher 1...

Mortar and Fieldgun are most certainly small bases, however you can use the 2 guys to form a small wall in front of Irusk 2 who's also small based. There is little to no disadvantage to it thanks to Solid Ground and Tactician .

The prime reason as to why I play two Warjacks is because of the spread-ability you gain. Other than that with WGRC and IFP you still have 3 big warrior units who will assit you, in many cases this should be enough. The Artifice of Deviation also helps out the IFP to sit in a gunfire (for a little while).

Generally my deployment is the same as mentioned a few pages ago, Uhlans in the center, WGRC left/right and IFP on the other side. Between those units the Warjacks have a nice spot to hang out into.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123