Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 81 to 120 of 164

Thread: KGB: Strakhov

  1. #81
    Conqueror Tenzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    451

    Default

    I agree, the min unit of AKs and max flamers is good. I have used them to escort Strakov. They are great at clearing out trenchers. The brutal charge is nice but do not expect it to get much done to jacks.

    I don't really like cav with strakov, they already have e relentless charge and out threat strakov feat. I think they are an expensive unit and he does nothing to help deliver them aside from occultation which isn't exactly needed.

  2. #82
    Destroyer of Worlds roddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oswego New York
    Posts
    1,645

    Default

    I played the mirror match yesterday into a strakhov list, i was running irusk2.
    His list best i can remember.
    Strakhov
    Reinholdt
    Behemoth
    Drago
    Torch
    Juggy? Cant remember, did squat
    Mow boat
    Max mechanics


    My list
    Irusk 2
    Reinholdt
    2 juggernaut
    2 destroyer
    Max Kayazy
    Kell
    Widowmakers
    Widowmaker Marksman
    2 mortars

    Terrain was skewed abit, i lost the roll and took the side with a wall, ahill and some cover. Turn one he ran everything, i did the same and tried scattering some aes into behemoth. I also plinked 10 points off behemoth but he repaired 8 with 3 mechanics. He never lost his cortex anyway so didnt matter. He made acrucial mistake, putting occultation on the mechanics. Turn 2 he didnt feat as he didnt think it would be worth it. He got drago into some kayazy and widowmakers, and shot the marksman with torch. He had his shocktroopers towing the big circle in the center of the board ( we played the 2 flags scenario) with strakhov right behind them. They were in a straight line, so mistake 2. I energized a juggernaut into slam range and moved up my destroyers also. I had gave 1 focus to each destroyer, and had the wrong mortar with ffe so dropped it.
    I slammed a shockie over strakhov, killed reinholdt also. 3 bombards later and he was dead, 2 were boosted. I made some mistakes, but not as many as i needed to in order to lose. I had feated turn 2 and camped 2 so felt like i was fairly safe from retaliation, but i felt like my only chance to win was to assassinate due to the number of boxes coming at me. If he had stealthed strakhov i would have had to try and get some lucky bombards on him. I like the strakhov list, but he didnt like the mow boat or the juggernaut. Im thinking of swapping a mortar and the kayazy for the mow boat.

  3. #83
    Annihilator The Armchair Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Wellesley, MA
    Posts
    910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tenzilla View Post
    I don't really like cav with strakov, they already have e relentless charge and out threat strakov feat. I think they are an expensive unit and he does nothing to help deliver them aside from occultation which isn't exactly needed.
    OK, Tenzilla, let's talk about this because I LOVE the Uhlans with Strakhov.

    Turn 1 I put occultation onto the Cav. Against most lists, they can now sit out on the flank and your opponent is totally helpless to take any out short of you brain farting positioning. The extra distance on the feat turn charge means they can scream in, wreck stuff, and reposition away. The extra distance on turn 1 means they can get whatever board position you want. I also like playing units where the caster accentuates their strengths and vice versa...thus, the cav.

    I agree they are an expensive unit, but let's talk about what other units we have access to with POW 16 attacks - the MOW. Very different role. Also, I think it's helpful to have some stuff with pathfinder for use outside of feat turn.

    That said... I am looking forward to seeing if the MOW theme force is viable with Strakhov.

  4. #84

    Default

    I'm with you on the uhlan's thing. While Strakhov is versatile, he doesn't necessarily buff his army. He certainly helps them, but he doesn't have any hit or damage multipliers. That's what's nice about uhlans, they are fairly self sufficient in getting boosted attack rolls on the charge and they do good damage.

  5. #85
    Combatant
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    montréal
    Posts
    26

    Default

    I play 75 point and i like that list, i loose because i ake to much miss play but i learn it

    strakov
    behemoth
    ruin
    torch
    full unit of pikemen +ua
    full unit of kayazi assassin +ua
    eliminator

  6. #86
    Conqueror
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Hey,

    I am a new player and very much drawn to Strakov and his whole theme.

    I will attend my first Tournament with him in the next few days and this thread helped me a lot with his list building (although it confused me a lot too).

    My main Problem when building Strakov is genrerally that I would like to stuff him full with Jacks. I know and read a lot about people loving the MK2 Infantrie Meta, but well MK3 seems really to resonate with me.

    When I am building Strakov I always want to be able to find a good Assasination but not be relianing on it. Thats why I like to focus my builds a bit on attrition and Scenario too.

    Lets start with Armchair Warriors analyzis:

    Victor. I want to love the Victor. I really do. I am working hard to get him to work with Strakhov, but EVERY game the Victor feels like he end up just too far back. That's because I'm trying to get some work done on the gun in addition to Sentry. Strakhov needs to play forward, and the other stuff I am bringing is really fast. Vicky gets left in the dust. So, if I don't win on assassination (which hasn't happened yet...the feat has been great at going up on attrition but not yet assassination), I've got 38 points of heavy metal too far back to protect my caster. Don't get me wrong, he's a GREAT sentry target but I am struggling to justify the cost and exposure.

    Oh, yeah, and if your opponent has Stranglehold then Victor HAS to stand back and use his gun.
    This goes for the Conquest too. My first game (and Victory) with Strakov I had with a Conquest, but the more I think about the Colossals the weaker I think they are for Strakov.
    Their Main advantages are "beeing a good Sentry target" and having a Punch.
    So I would consider them while having Attrition in mind, but the problem I see with them is that you would need at least 2 other Jacks with the Colossal to get a use out of Overrun (but they are also good at triggering it).

    Spriggan I think Strakhov is the one caster who is making the Spriggan worth his points. A superiority-spiced-spriggan on feat turn is simply amazeballs. 6" + 3" + 4" " 2" melee = 15", and if you Overrun that's 21" of non-linear threat that can bulldoze models out of the way. Superiority fixes the MAT issue. With Strakhov, Spriggan is money.
    While I concour that the Spriggan is at its best with Strakov, I still don't like him, simply put because there are so many better Jacks at our disposal that in my opinion outshine him in many aspects. The only time I would consider him is if I wanted a Reach jack + Stealth Removal, and just had 1 Slot for that.
    But I cant really estimate the use of Bulldoze.

    Grolar. Haven't tried it yet. Everyone is saying great things about it, but it fills the same role as the Spriggan and I wouldn't trade the bulldoze for the additional 1" threat on the Ram.
    Same here, but I am about to try him. And I would take him over Spriggan because the most important part for me is Pathfinder. I often find myself with a lack of Pathfinder with Strakov. And that opens up a lot of knew lanes of attack. (KD and gun are nice but nothing more).

    Marauder Amazing value package. The knockdown on a stick is awesome. It won me the game yesterday. Oh, yeah. I've had a chance to play one game post-errata with the Marauder where my opponent had a battle engine. AMAZEBALLS. Wow. Just wow.
    Same. I love it. It just adds (and suffers) from the "I want all the Jacks" with Strakov phenomenon.

    Torch I want to love Torch for the affinity. I dropped him to fit in the Spriggan, but I think I will drop the Victor and might put him back in. The sustained attack is good but POW 17 is a bit weak.
    I am a bit unsure about him. I want to like him because he is Strakov Charackterjack, but he is a bit Pillow-fisted for 18 Points. I like the Stealth removal and the Mobility. Also sustained Attack is nice against Circle etc.

    Juggernaut / Ruin Dunno, I feel like I might need either a Juggernaut or Ruin as a damage fixer.
    I have to seperate these 2. Juggernaut needs nothing to be said about him. Everyone knows him. Suffers from the Marauder Problem. Where do I fit all these Warjacks.
    Ruin is awesome...we all know that. I often take him because he is the best "cheap" Assasination Jack, while being relativly good in defense too. And because I want all the Jacks, this one is fairly self sufficent.

    Beast Who has used Beast with Strakhov? Is it worth the points over Ruin (4 less) or Jugger (9 less!)
    I tried him with Strakov as an Assasination Jack, but he is very expensive. Yes he is nice because you dont have to boost the hit against most Casters, and Thresher is nice too for a save Overrun but man he is expensive.
    In the End Ruin would have done a better job, because of the dispel (stupid Stumbling drunk)

    Behemoth/Destroyer. So with a Victor in I didn't have room for the Behemoth. Perhaps it's time to put him in? That solves my melee beatstick problem, and gives me a great Sentry target. I can't remember a time I put Behemoth in list and regretted it. In exchange for Vicky, I can fit Behemoth and a Juggernaut (37 points), and still come out 1 point ahead. The nice thing about the Behemoth is it gives a really good long range Overrun target. If you miss with the initial shot you still have boosted blasts.

    Buuuuuttt....Now that the Destroyer is 14 points for a good sentry target I could put him in with either Ruin (31 points), or Beast (still only 35 points).
    I am currently contamplaiting this myself. I want to have one of these most of the time, for Sentry and easy Overrun, but which one? The Destroyer now is pretty cheap, but Behemoth is...well Behemoth, and he is the safest bet for Overrun. Really not sure, gonna try without Behemoth tomorrow.
    Another jack with Bulldoze Bulldoze is just so good with the 4" of movement. However, I feel like if I'm already including the Spriggan then it may be redundant.

    In ADR, I might have a Devastator if I were going to a tournament, and swap him in if I see double hell mouths. Hellmouths freak me out.
    Often i think about a Devestator as a last peece, because he has such a good Scenario precence and is good against Ret and Legion.

    Cavalry OK, I love cavalry with Strakhov. Uhlans are turning into a "must" for me. The POW 16 charge (and they will get the charge), is just great. The Uhlans LOVE, just love, Occultation.

    I want to try a min unit of Outriders as infantry clearing and magic attacks. Again, you will assuredly get the alpha with them.

    I also want to try Fenris. I don't take him because he dies so easily, but the Feat gives him an 8" + 3" + 4" + 2" = 17" threat. OK, so you can finally get the alpha with Fenris...and then they HAVE to prioritize killing him. Maybe with the Spriggan + Outriders (who can repo away) clearing charge lanes with bulldoze, it will make it worthwhile to spend the 9 points on him.
    I never tried it, but thats because I am really not sure. They seem to fall in the teretory of "Win More" or "look at these Units that are already faster then most of my stuff, now they can be even more fast!!!".
    But I like the Idea of them on the Flank.

    AKs Just one try with them. I didn't hate them (+1 RAT/MAT is a thing), but didn't love them. Pretty expensive package for the 3 flame throwers. Cheap melee jammers. Still, 16 points. I could get another jack with infantry clearing capabilities, or shove in Outriders, who will really benefit from the feat.
    I really want to like these too, but the dmg is sooo meh. Maybe I am playing them wrong so. Also they are heavily Matchup dependend. They will be in my ADR-Points for sure.
    Normally I play 6 with 2 Flamers for a cheap version. There is just so much better stuff for holding Scenario or killing dudes.

    [QUOTE]Doomreavers Used them once. Strakhov can deliver them, which is nice. The one time I tried them with him I brought 3 units. Premeasuring made it difficult for me to land a ton of them on the enemy, and then on the counterattack they just die in droves. Maybe 1 unit might be worth it but...they are so expensive.

    MOW Who's tried MOW? Given how Strakhov struggles with damage output I am considering that this might be the one useful place to bring Democorp, or maybe I should bring a shocktrooper boat but that's just so expensive. I don't know that I can fit both MOW and the Uhlans in with all the jacks. Still, who's tried them and how have they done?[/QUOTE]

    Both meh. I can imagine they are not bad with the feed, but I don't think they offer much "special". Mow are funny if they are fast, but I am really not impressed with them. Doomreavers are to far forward most of the time I think.

    Solos & Support

    I have not tried solos and support with Strakhov since I find my lists are so damn strapped for points. Because I've been including Victor, I guess. What to include?

    What else have YOU tried that you really like?
    There I can add a lot. But first:

    WGI A Unit I saw in some Battlereports and want to try. Looks really nice to remove Infantry with a 14 Inch charge + 6 Inch spray. Even with the Erratas this could hurt a lot of infantrie. And with Occultation they are pretty safe for their cost.

    Kayazy Eliminators Didn't test it, but seems Powerfull too, again a 14,5 inch charge that kann kill a caster is nothing to laugh at.

    Sniperboat This is something i frequently play. It doesn't really benefit from Strakov but really helps to clear charge lanes and kill enemy solos. Usually contains Widomakers, Marksmann, Kell Bailoch, Alten Ashley. With these we enter the terretory of Solos. Marksman and Kell are really good at taking out Systems like Cortex on Jacks and Beasts. Alten just got a bit more expensive, but is still good against Hordes with Grievous Wounds.

    Orin Midwinter A bit matchup realiant, but even in Bad matchups he is still good, and in good ones he is gold. I am struggling not to make him an auto include in all my lists atm.

    Ogrun Bokur Nothing to say here, very solid, protects Strakov, would pick it often.

    Reinholt The only attachment I consider for Strakov (except maybe a dog). Depends on how much Shooting and Stealth Removal I got.

    Gorman, Rogue Alchemist against Warmachine. Strakov has no Pow buff, this helps, but I see a struggle to get in Range.

    Eiryss
    2 is cheaper, but 1 is massive help with Assasination if she hits.

    Some Lists I am consindering atm:
    System: Warmachine
    Faction: Khador
    Caster: 1 / 1
    Points: 75 / 75
    Strakhov1 (Kommander Strakhov) -28
    - Destroyer 14
    - Ruin 17
    - Torch 18
    - Grolar 18
    Iron Fang Uhlans (Leader and 2) 12
    Winter Guard Infantry (Leader and 9) 10
    - 3 Winter Guard Infantry Rocketeer 6
    - Winter Guard Inf. Officer & Standard 4
    Kovnik Jozef Grigorovich 4

    This one is just for testing. As well as this one:

    System: Warmachine
    Faction: Khador
    Caster: 1 / 1
    Points: 75 / 75
    Strakhov1 (Kommander Strakhov) -28
    - Ruin 17
    - Devastator 14
    - Grolar 18
    - Torch 18
    Widowmaker Scouts 8
    Kayazy Eliminators 5
    Kayazy Eliminators 5
    Widowmaker Marksman 4
    Kell Bailoch 5
    Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist 4
    Winter Guard Mortar Crew 5

    1. List is just to test Units, 2nd List is to test if I need a Range-Killer for Overrun triggers, and also Unit test. 2nd List is tailored against Warmachine factions.

    And this is my "normal" List if I just play a casual game:

    System: Warmachine
    Faction: Khador
    Caster: 1 / 1
    Points: 75 / 75
    Strakhov1 (Kommander Strakhov) -28
    - Behemoth 25
    - Ruin 17
    - Juggernaut 12
    - Marauder 10
    - Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator 4
    Widowmaker Scouts 8
    Widowmaker Marksman 4
    Kell Bailoch 5
    Alten Ashley 6
    Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor 5
    Ogrun Bokur 5
    Gobber Tinker 2

    Basically everything thats good right know. Behemoth as a 2nd wave and for a sure Overrun. Ruin as main Assasination Tool. Juger for Raw Dmg. Marauder against Colossals and to Bully (maybe KD)

    I really like Strakov. He is a caster that really acts on the Battlefield, not just a cloud, focus or buffbot.
    I just tend to overload him with Jacks.

    Is infantrie worth it with Strakov? I mean IF also look sweet with a 15 inch charge and occultation, but I don't know what there target should be.
    There is just so much good stuff.

    Considered the Outriders too, but as mentioned before. They seem to "not fit", because they really don't benefit that much.

    Is a Mortar a good Sentry target? With the huge Range they could be a pain for Support Stuff.

    Really like to keep this thread alive. Will post again on Saturday and/ or Monday

  7. #87
    Destroyer of Worlds Auracco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Posts
    1,687

    Default

    I've tried Beast 09 with Strakhov a couple of times and it mostly ends up being a glorified juggernaut, not really worth the 9 point difference. Never really managed to get it to a caster, that's what the grolar is for, native pathfinder is a sweet thing to have in a jack for Strakhov. I ended up changing my list to include two juggernaut and I've prefered that set up over the beast 09 set up.

  8. #88
    Conqueror
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    103

    Default

    I couldn't post on Saturday, had to much thinking to do. Testing on Fridays against Trolls didn't go so well.

    Revised my hole list after noticing I really WANTED Behemoth with Strakov and also a Juggernaut for Armor cracking.

    Beast got scraped entirely because when a Jack reaches a caster it mostly doesn't matter what Jack reaches him.

    The tournament went 2-1 with Strakov going 1-1. Learned a lot about Strakov.

    Main Points:
    1. People like to Assasinate Strakov. Every game they tried to come for him. Sometimes they succeded. Most important point for that. KEEP OCCULTATION ON STRAKOV. Trolls and Ret shot him dead, and just ignored what had occultation.

    2. Plan you upkeeps in advance! Even with free upkeeps Strakov is very Focus hungry. With 1 for Behemoth 2 for Overrun and maybe 2 for the Overrun Jack you often don't have the time to switch Upkeeps around.
    So pick your Occultation target carfully (see point 1). It can often be tempting to give it to a Jack or a Unit, but then Strakov looses a lot of protection.
    Also if something is between 18,1 and 20 inches away from your behemoth, its not worth casting Superiority on him, unless you plan to assault with him the turn after. Which often times you don't because everything else has run and is closer.

    In a List with Behemoth, Ruin and Juggernaut (and maybe a 4th Jack) I would probably start by casting sentry on Behemoth, Occultation on Strakov and Superiority on the Juggernaut and use him as a 2nd round Missile into something valuable (or on the Flank).

    Sniperboat is still good, but couldn't really shine because there was not much infantrie or I was dead to fast.
    Same goes for the Assasins. Still pretty good.

    Ogrun is a bit useless if you want to keep occultation on Strakov. On the other hand if you hand it out to Units/ Jacks you definatly need one.

    The Mortar was quite meh. With Snipers, Assassins and/or AKs you really have enough Anti Infantrie and thus don't want to spend Focus on it, so I rather keep it on a ranged Jack, which I like because of Overrun anyway.

    The Jacks that didn't make it: Marauder, Devestator, Groaler, Torch.
    I like all of these Jacks, but because of the expected Meta (much Khador, very mirror) I wanted to have enought to deal with Armor. And the 4th Jack ended up to be a Kodiak, because Pathfinder in my Army was an issue and I prefer the Kodiak over the Groaler. The Groaler is more focus hungry than the Kodiak and everything he offers over the Kodiak is "cute". A "cute" gun, a "cute KD effect and a few "cute" tricks with said KD effect. The only thing really better is the Pow18 and thats just 2 dmg more with full focus in feat vs the Kodiak (not counting throw dmg) isn't worth the 5 points for me. I will test him more though.
    Marauder is pretty equal to the Kodiak imo, but Pathfinder sold me on the Kodiak, not a bad Jack in any way though.
    Devestator is pretty matchup and scenario specific. The Arm 23 won't bother most enemys because you just ignore him as long as he is Arm23. Is nice for scenario though and steady and sturdy make him good in some matchups. Would have liked him in my list against Ret and Legion. Will have him in the ADR sideboard most likely.
    Torch...ahh I wanna like him. I really do, but I have no clue why I would take him. Yes he is versatile, but thats it. His Pow is meh, he has no "real" Pathfinder. Just while charging, and when I charge under feat he gets Pathfinder anyway. Maybe instead of the Jugger or as 4th Jack to be the "missile" Jack and let him sprint back. Stealth Removal is nice, but I rarely needed it.

    The WGI idea got scraped again, when I realised thats basically what the AKs do, or would do too, and I like them more.
    Speaking about Aks I am going to test them again with Ternions for Cloudwalls with the cinder bomb. I really want to use them and I don't think they are half bad.
    Maybe include Doomreavers in the Mix.

    Pikes are on hold in favour of aks (I really want an UA for them, at best with the same Repo Mini Feat).


    Still in love with Strakov, there are still so many possibilities to explore!

    Next Testrun: Probably this one:
    System: Warmachine
    Faction: Khador
    Caster: 1 / 1
    Points: 75 / 75
    Strakhov1 (Kommander Strakhov) -28
    - Destroyer 14
    - Ruin 17
    - Torch 18
    Assault Kommandos (Leader and 9) 16
    - 3 Assault Kommando Flame Thrower 6
    Doom Reaver Swordsmen 13
    - Greylord Escort 3
    Greylord Ternion 7
    Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor 5
    Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist 4

  9. #89

    Default

    As a long standing but awful Strakhov player, I wondered if Chris Active Player would be able to offer some advice in gitting gud. Being an absolute gent, he obliged. I'm cross-posting from my battle report thread, just in case anyone missed this!

    So some thoughts about list building:

    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken_Slayer
    So first up I take almost no units that benefit from the feat for delivery (Cavalry for instance) and play quite Jack heavy. If I do take units, they're primarily for shooting. The reason for all this is that I find Strakhov's more powerful game is actually in his Overrun combo, and the ability to use it as long as possible is what I find best about him.

    Also if you feat, deliver a bunch of **** then don't wipe your opponent out you will in turn get swept off the table by casters with better damage buffs, now that you've delivered yourself on a silver platter.

    There's a lot you can do but a starting package of Juggernaut, Behemoth and Marauder go a long way. Riflemen and Snipers are also key because they're how you solve the damage problem with Strakhov a lot of the time: they give you models to soften up a target or finish if off. Redline being another solution I've done from time to time. General recommended jack to put on Andrei is either a shooting jack or Ruin. Ruin can eat souls to fuel himself so if you throw him 15" up the table, Andrei can take off in the opposite direction and Ruin will still be able to get focus from the board and continue punching stuff if they don't kill him.

    For my part, here's my current list. Truth be told it started as a bit of a joke, having Andrei run a Destroyer. It's not been terrible, in fact it might be worth keeping, but usually I prefer Ruin if I'm taking Andrei or simply running everything off of Strakhov. For a more simple version cut them both and put in Torch.

    Khador Army - 75 / 75 points

    (Strakhov 1) Kommander Oleg Strakhov [+28]
    - Behemoth [25]
    - Juggernaut [12]
    - Juggernaut [12]
    - Marauder [10]
    Kovnik Andrei Malakov [4]
    - Destroyer [14]
    Kovnik Jozef Grigorovich [4]
    Winter Guard Rifle Corps (min) [8]
    - Winter Guard Rocketeer (3) [6]
    Gobber Tinker [2]
    Gobber Tinker [2]
    Armory (Steamroller) [0]
    Widowmaker Marksman [4]

    Realistically, I think he's a bit off-meta kinda like pSorscha: it's hard to figure out matchups with him a lot of the time cause he's pretty unique. Great fun though and powerful in his own right.
    And on playing Strakhov:

    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken_Slayer
    Reading briefly those reports, the big thing to me is that when you feat with Strakhov, if you're not 100% ending the game that turn the primary purpose of Overrun is to move Strakhov backwards so that he's safe from harm, since otherwise he's generally about to get eaten by something or shot to death.

    The other thing too would be putting Sentry on Strakhov and using the maintenance phase shot to throw Smoke Bombs at your jacks or fire immune models. This way you can make a cloud wall for Strakhov to hide behind.

    Marauders I find primarily useful on feat turn to put a Combo slam into something in support of a jack with 3 focus: can get a free Charge, boost to hit then pull off a POW 20 + 4D6 slam. Then when the target is KD'd you can follow up with some Rockets or a sniper shot to pick out the column.

    Also, treat your first Juggernaut like a "ranged attack". i.e. you want to apply that sucker to a valuable target of your opponent's early using Overrun. Gives you good tempo and is pretty strong in a lot of the shooting based matchups like Cygnar: being able to pull that off to deliver a Juggernaut to a cluster of Hunters or Dynamo is totally worth it. Just try not to die in the process :P

  10. #90
    Conqueror
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Hey Lacerto, I will just reply here, because I want to avoid a discussion on 2 threads^^ (But do inform us if there are more Strakov Battreps incoming).

    And thx to you and Chris Active Player for the input.

    Although I don't get the reasoning behind Andrej. It feels like a waste of focus/Spells on a Destroyer, but maybe I just have to try it out.
    Same goes for Andrej and Ruin, kinda defeats the purpose for me of having Andrej.

    So if I understand correctly, you (Chris Active Player, Chicken_Slayer) are playing Strakov more like a ranged caster with "Jugger-Missiles" and the Feat more late then early to finish the opponent off. A bit like Vlad.

    I have to admit, the reason I want to try him without Behemoth atm is because I think I use him to much as an Overrun "crutch" and rarely think about other Overrun-Plays (like retreating Strakov after the feat or using it to advance a Jack during its own activation).

    Maybe I have to rethink my Strakov aproach and instead of trying to get the best out his kit, to kompensate for his weaknesses. I just don't like to throw Units in a list, just because they are good in their role, if the role doesn't fit the caster, but maybe I have to broaden my view.

    And I think you are right about his matchups. I have no clue when he will perform how. Especially because his builds can really change a lot. The only thing I know right now is I like him into Ret (especially with Ruin). I don't like him into Armor that much, and I think he does good against High Def (awesome against Legion, meh against Circle).
    Depending on the build he got he could be could against Menoth.
    His speed may help him against Cygnar.
    I don't know how I feel about trolls, may be a bit to tough.

    The sentry trick certanly is nice, but I don't know if I would rather have a free shot with Behemoth.

    A final question:
    How important is the repair with Strakov, or Jack heavy in general. Because you took 2 tinkers, which could have been a Reinholdt against stealth.

  11. #91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skathrex View Post
    Because you took 2 tinkers, which could have been a Reinholdt against stealth.
    I imagine these will be in for Scenario, rather than repair. They are very resistant to shooting, and can opportunistically dash out to score points, or if necessary to contest.

    I have found it difficult to do much repairing on the melee jacks with Mechanics, so repairing with Tinkers is probably corner case.

  12. #92
    Destroyer of Worlds Auracco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Posts
    1,687

    Default

    I'd rather have 2 thinker than reinholdt with Strakhov.
    Also overrun is Strakhov's money spell, thinking this spell is a cruth is looking at him wrong in my opinion. I think Strakhov's feat is terrible and I mostly use it late game and most of the time for one or two charge, nothing more.
    The juggy missile is a valid option for strakhov and the behemoth is an excelent warjack to proc overrun.

    As far as his match up goes, I'd say anything but high arm, he doesn offer any arm cracking buff and will probably struggle against casters like Baldur2 or Horgle2 that can have some very high arm models on the table and who are not really easy to assassinate. I've played him with good success against menoth, cygnar, ret, merc so far. Juggy are pretty good with him and they hit hard but they will struggle if your opponent has a way to get models to arm 21 or more.

  13. #93
    Destroyer of Worlds Welshhoppo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Swansea
    Posts
    3,779

    Default

    Repost time!

    Quote Originally Posted by Welshhoppo View Post
    I am also surprised by the lack of Orin and a Bokur (or 2) But luckily I was playing into a melee heavy legion force, so I didn't miss them that much. I'm still not fussed on throwing this into a primarily ranged force and I don't know if it has game into 2Una, but with 3 Kodiaks they could probably do some damage. Actually, I could run the Kodiaks in a line of cloud if I was facing a regular shooting list. I'm sure I'll find a bad match up eventually, but I don't normally look for them, they tend to find me.


    BUT! This wasnt the only force I brought that night, we re racked and swapped lists so I brought out Strakhov, half way through the match I discovered that Strakhov2 was announced, so I'll take credit for that too because I can and because my ego will let me do it without any issues. I brought this.

    Strakhov
    -Victor
    -Ruin

    Kovnik Joe
    Orin Midwinter (Here he is Growl!)

    Iron Fang Uhlans
    Winter Guard Rifle Corps
    3 Rocketeers


    The important thing is that my opponent brought Lylyth1 and that the shredders you see are actually Shepards.

    My opponent wins the roll off again and swaps sides. I go second again.



    As I write this, I really need to remember to take pictures, and perhaps buy a camera that works. But my opponent runs up the board in a nice little block. Hiding behind the very annoying forest in the middle of the board.

    I move up, Sentry goes on Victor, Superiority goes on Ruin and the WGR get Occultation, which will help 4 of them dying to Deathstalker shots. My opponent did advance them to that wall on my left, and two rockets are able to blast damage one to death. Victor walks and shoots his big gun at the Ravagore with a flame shot, it actually hits on 3 dice and does some damage and sets him on fire.

    Like I said, I forgot to take a picture at the end of this turn, because I was too busy deciding whether or not I like the new Strakhov model.

    My opponent moves up his beasts once more, the left Ravagore kills 4 WGR with a lucky blast and unlucky tough rolls. The Deathstalker just moves out to the side to be annoying. My opponent would have liked to parasite Ruin, but I remind him that Ruin has sacred ward before he leaves Lylyth within 12 inches of him. Because I am a gentleman. The Bolt Thrower and the right Ravagore shoot at Ruin, doing about 12 damage but leaving all his systems online, in exchange the Ravagore takes a few damage boxes from the fire damage.

    Scoring Turn!

    I remembered to take a picture after I started moving the WRC up, which is why the clump wasn't targeted instead. But Strakhov gives an additional Focus to each jack and drops Stealth. I move the rockets out the way and they shoot at the Ravagore with Joe helping out. They do about 10 damage because 1 missed and 1 rolled low for damage.

    I do some premeasuring and I put Strakhov into a positon where he can get both Ravagores and the Bolt Thrower in feat range, and then he feats. Putting over run onto Victor. He then camps 2 focus.

    2 Ulhans go miles and charge into the Ravagore and leave him on 3 boxes, unfortunately they are his spirit boxes. The remaining 3 move up to block hellmouths from walking to Strakhov. Victor charges the Ravagore behind the wall for free, he needs an 8 to hit him and he does. At dice +5, he does about 22 damage to the warbeast and kills him with his second fist. He backhands the tentacle and triggers overrun on Ruin, moving him up 6 inches. Ruin charges the Bolt Thrower, he takes a free strike but it does no damage, because my opponent potentially wants to fondle Strakhov, he doesn't drag him to the maw. But I made it so that even if he had, I would still have a successful charge. Ruin kills the Bolt Thrower with his initals and buys 2 Maces into the Hellmouth, leaving him on one box. I grunt for a little and then remember Orin.

    Orin walks up and shoots Ruin in the back with his lightning, it does no damage but it arcs into the Hellmouth and I use a token to boost the damage, I roll a 9 on 2 dice and kill the mouth. Satisfied, I end my turn gaining a point for controlling the right zone.



    Killing his beasts means that I helped my opponent from running hot. Lylyth walks and shoots Ruin twice, not doing a lot of damage but allowing the Naga to charge it for free. She also feats and heals the Ravagore for 2. The Naga gets off a critical Shadowbind and does a bit of damage to him, the Blackfrost Shard charge him but roll terribly on their attack rolls. A sheperd also goes in and does more damage that they did. The Ravagore kills the two Uhlans in combat with him. The Seraph advances and kills Joe and shoots a Ulhan but doesn't kill him. He also runs a Shepard into my zone, preventing me from controlling it. The Deathstalker kills 2 rocketeers.

    This is where I forget to take another photo, but Victor fires a sentry shot at Lylyth but scatters to the arse end of nowhere. Strakhov keeps all his focus and just runs into my right zone. Orin walks up and zaps the cowardly shepard, Victor walks up and takes like 3/4 of the boxes off the Seraph, Ruin fumbles around and tries to kill some blackforest shards, but because he is missing his cortex and both arms, he just kills 1. The Rifles CRA into the deathstalker and kill it, and the last Rocketeer hits spikes and kills the Ravagore.

    I go to 3 points for dominating the zone.



    My opponent's Naga doesn't frenzy, and harmlessly caresses Ruin's butt. Everyone else also fails to kill him. My opponent's ride was arriving soon so we called it there.

    Victory to Khador!


    Post match thoughts.

    Victor - Im unconvinced. It's a shame because he is a lovely model, but it feels like something is lacking. There is too much of a difference between his main gun and his little ones, they just suck. The range is too short, Granted he got into Melee and ripped a heavy apart like it was nothing, but at PS23, thats easy to do.

    I was impressed with the WGRC, but I don't like playing them into Legion because of the deathstalkers and Eyeless Sight, but at least stealth means that the Deathstalkers have to come within threat range to actually hit them. Orin saved the day again, which is amazing. And the Uhlans killed things from 17 inches away, so that was a great success story.
    Final Mark II record 45W/0D/37L
    Mark III record 39W/0D/6L
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent100 View Post
    You've just been Decimated!
    Watch me fail at warmachine here! - http://privateerpressforums.com/show...ador!-(Poorly)

  14. #94

    Default

    Strakhov's two big weaknesses are LOS Denial and lists where there isn't any real weak spots to scalpel out (like Mad Dog spam, but also massed dudes). He can fight into a lot of control on the back of Overrun and extreme threat (can force a lot of early or sub-optimal feats as a result), but hard LOS or charge blocking can be a serious problem. One of the reasons I put emphasis is it allows you go circumvent this: Without Over run you are out threated by Centurions of all things -_-

    With regards to Sentry...yes it's generally worth it. An unboosted shot from Behemoth is pretty mediocre, although necessary in some matchups. A Sentry'd smoke bomb is often how Strakhov avoid's dying.

    Also Tinkers ARE in fact for Repair. And Scenario. Turns out they're good at both.

    But they're especially good when your opponent cripples a jack at range, but doesn't quite finish it off. Then you glue its arms back on, fix its movement and punt it up the field with Overrun. Now they have to deal with some piece of s**** juggernaught with like 10 boxes that just took out one of their fresh warjacks.

    Especially important in the Cygnar matchup I find because if you don't bring mechancis they will cripple your jacks and leave them alone afterwards. Having mechanics forces them to blow through all 34+ boxes of your heavies.

    Further, Reinholdt I found was pretty mediocre with Strakhov: like it's nice he ignores stealth but you can take Torch for that purpose if it's a serious problem. And unlike with say Karchev, his reload is not the best. Can be funny to chuck 3 bombs a turn, but generally unrealistic. Reloading the Riot Gun is nice if you have to use it to trigger Overrun but I generally avoid having Strkhov do that because his warjacks are generally more effecient at doing so (Can often do it just with Powerup focus, especially on feat turn if it's a melee jack).

    Also good emergency protection from guns for Strakhov if clouds won't work. Standing in front of him at Def 18 is nice.

    Oh, and regarding Tier lists...I'm not sure atm. I feel he doesn't get the best out of the Winter Guard one in general but he IS one of the best casters to run Winter Guard Infantry. I feel other casters like pSorscha or pVlad get more out of it and Harkevich/Karchev benefit more from writing down the tier list on their card whilst taking no Winter Guard. Might be something there though but more interested in teh 2nd Khador tier list for him, whenever that one comes out.
    Active Player. Professional Try Hard.

  15. #95

    Default

    So yeah, theme force. My main problem with theme and Strakhov is lack of Behemoth. Between overruning a jack into position via Behemoth and putting the Behemoth itself into position to assassinate I really really like it and don't think theme benefits make up for losing it. Especially considering Strakhov already was one of the hardest our casters to shoot because of stealth.
    So Behemoth vs. theme is it worth it?

  16. #96
    Conqueror
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auracco View Post
    Also overrun is Strakhov's money spell, thinking this spell is a cruth is looking at him wrong in my opinion. I think Strakhov's feat is terrible and I mostly use it late game and most of the time for one or two charge, nothing more.
    Ah you misunderstood me there. I love Overrun. Its one of the reasons I play Strakov, but I use Behemoth 99% of the time to trigger it, and because of that I kind default to "Overrun goes to Behemoth".
    While there beeing plays like Sup on Ruin, Overrun on Ruin, Feat. Charge Ruin into something small 15" away, kill it with charge, trigger Overrun for additional 6" move. So "Overrun on Behemoth" is a crutch for me, because its so easy.


    Thx for the Inside Chicken_Slayer.
    The Sentry on Strakov Idea totally escaped me, especially because he has Occultation. But if I am not wrong, this requires a lot of forward thinking. You have to position a target where he wants to be NEXT TURN. But on the other hand, thats exactly what I like about Strakov.

    When LOS Denial is a Problem, doesnt Torch become an Auto include? Not really as a forward Jack, but as a early support peace to put flares in clouds (and be the Sentry target for Strakov).

    I feel the tier lits are not for Strakov. He looses to much. Behemoth, Ruin, Mercs etc. WGI might be nice, and when I test them with Strakov I will also test the WG Theme Force, but atm not.
    Maybe the free Mortar would be nice, as a Sentry target, but I am not overwhelmed.
    On the other hand if one of your lists is a WG-Theme Force I feel like Strakov is a good pairing, because he likes to bring the kind of stuff, thats not inside those Lists.

  17. #97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
    So yeah, theme force. My main problem with theme and Strakhov is lack of Behemoth. Between overruning a jack into position via Behemoth and putting the Behemoth itself into position to assassinate I really really like it and don't think theme benefits make up for losing it. Especially considering Strakhov already was one of the hardest our casters to shoot because of stealth.
    So Behemoth vs. theme is it worth it?
    Dunno, I guess it comes down to the question of how much does he like the Advanced Move?

  18. #98
    Destroyer of Worlds Auracco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Posts
    1,687

    Default

    Well since the theme force have dropped and Winter Guard Kommand sounds like an interesting list, here's the next list I'm going to try with Strakhov, hopefully tomorrow and I can post some battle reports on Sunday.

    Winter Guard Kommand,
    Strakhov
    Victor
    Juggernaut
    Juggernaut
    Grolar
    Kovnik Joe
    Winterguard Artillerty kapitan
    Winterguard infantry
    3 rockets
    Winterguard officer (free from the theme)

    So a lot of bodies for sac paw, that might be really usefull on the feat turn to allow strakhov to be more forward, 3 jacks with advance move, a free command attachement, victor for a good sentry target, juggys and grolar for overrun targets. I've played only one game with victor as my overrun enabler, not as good as behemoth, but I can't take the behemoth in tier so I have to deal with it.

    Any suggestions or comments on the list?

  19. #99

    Default

    Interesting idea might be to stealth not Strakhov but WG, preferably WGRC so they can keep distance. This way opponent still can't kill the caster, but they have to deal with def 15 if they want to shoot WGRC. He's also obviously easier to park into cover or concealment.

    I think Conquest is much better Overrun enabler than Victor.

    What's the reasoning for Grolar? To kill caster?
    Last edited by Smooth Criminal; 01-13-2017 at 07:06 AM.

  20. #100
    Destroyer of Worlds Auracco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Posts
    1,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
    Interesting idea might be to stealth not Strakhov but WG, preferably WGRC so they can keep distance. This way opponent still can't kill the caster, but they have to deal with def 15 if they want to shoot WGRC. He's also obviously easier to park into cover or concealment.

    I think Conquest is much better Overrun enabler than Victor.

    What's the reasoning for Grolar? To kill caster?
    Yeah conquest might be better for overrun, that list was going for the sentried victor for two mortar shot a turn. Sentry on conquest seems ok, less good than victor's mortar, but I do have to admit I hadn't thought about using conquest to trigger overrun, might not be a bad idea at all. Hehe with Strakhov in ADR I could have one as specialist, altough that might be going full retard...

    As for the grolar, I have nothing but praise for that jack with Strakhov. It is very good for casterkill but native pathfinder the main reason, it allows for full overrun move through terrain, something torch can't do, that doesn't sound like a half bad idea in a list that can put 2 5'' aoe of rough terrain a turn. I've played the grolar a lot in my Strakhov's list and it has never disapointed me so far. Expansive but when he does a good job I'm not going to hold it against him. If you want more details just read all the times I've mentionned the grolar in this thread so far.

  21. #101
    Conqueror
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Khanada
    Posts
    125

    Default

    +1 for Grolar I would play him more myself but I only have the 1 Kodiak/Grolar kit and well Strakhov just like most other casters love that extra cloud out there

  22. #102

    Default

    Has anyone tried putting Sentry on Croe now that animi are spells? Shutting down two animi a turn sounds good in some matchups. Assuming you can bring yourself to pass up the opportunity cost of having it on a jack or Marksman.

  23. #103
    Destroyer of Worlds Welshhoppo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Swansea
    Posts
    3,779

    Default

    The issue is that you need Valachev in that situation. That's quite a bit of points. Plus Croe is better at shooting things up, generally Strakhov likes having things beat people up in melee.
    Final Mark II record 45W/0D/37L
    Mark III record 39W/0D/6L
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent100 View Post
    You've just been Decimated!
    Watch me fail at warmachine here! - http://privateerpressforums.com/show...ador!-(Poorly)

  24. #104
    Destroyer of Worlds Auracco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Posts
    1,687

    Default

    Yeah Valachev on croe doesn't seem worthy just for that janky two silence shot a turn.

  25. #105

    Default

    The way I remember it from MkII, Overrun could only be cast once per turn. Am I remembering that right? Because I've only just realised that according to the wording in MkIII, there's no limit to how many times you can cast it now. The only limit is that a model can only advance once per turn due to Overrun, but you could use it to move two or even three models in one turn.

    Now three models is obviously silly, but I could imagine some situations where it might be useful to cast it twice in one turn; for example, on Strakhov's feat turn you could cast it on one jack that gets loaded up to try to get it to something important (possibly even an assassination run), and on a second jack (probably a Destroyer or Behemoth) who uses his power-up focus to boost an attack to Overrun Strakhov to back safety once everything is finished charging.

    Is this news to anyone, or am I just slow on the uptake?

  26. #106
    Destroyer of Worlds Welshhoppo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Swansea
    Posts
    3,779

    Default

    Just slow on the uptake.
    Final Mark II record 45W/0D/37L
    Mark III record 39W/0D/6L
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent100 View Post
    You've just been Decimated!
    Watch me fail at warmachine here! - http://privateerpressforums.com/show...ador!-(Poorly)

  27. #107
    Destroyer of Worlds Welshhoppo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Swansea
    Posts
    3,779

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuarnix View Post
    Hey folks I want to explicitly point out I didn't catch for a long time, just in case anyone else missed it.

    The once-per-turn casting stipulation on Overrun is no more. You can only move a specific model once with Overrun, but you can have as many instances of Overrun in play as you like. This means that if you need to, you can Spear and as your final activation use a second instance of Overrun to move Strakov back to safety.
    See, Kuarnix pointed it out back in July.
    Final Mark II record 45W/0D/37L
    Mark III record 39W/0D/6L
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent100 View Post
    You've just been Decimated!
    Watch me fail at warmachine here! - http://privateerpressforums.com/show...ador!-(Poorly)

  28. #108
    Destroyer of Worlds Auracco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Posts
    1,687

    Default

    Played in a tournament this weekend with the following list,

    Winterguard Kommand
    Strakhov
    Juggernaut
    Juggernaut
    Grolar
    Conquest
    Full winterguard infantry +3 rocket + free CA
    Kovnik joe
    Min mechaniks

    I ended up 3rd in that tournament, played Strakhov 3 times and butcher3 once, actually lost my first game in mk3 with Strakhov (so I'm currently 10/1 with him). The list is a very good general drop, the only thing against which I would not run it is an armor skew, I did go against Horgle2 with an arm 23 mtk (because inviolable resolve in troll is ok I guess) and I was only able to win because my opponent did a mistake and allowed me to charge his mtk with the two juggy and the conquest on my feat turn, if any of these 3 pieces hadn't made it, I would have lost that game, so live and learn and even with the kind of punch I'm packing in the list, going up against an arm skew is a bad idea.

    First game was against PVlad in a winterguard kommand list with 4 jacks, two full units of winterguards and a couple of artillery piece, the verdict on that game is that stealthed winterguards win against unstealthed winterguards, and that conquest is good a proccing overrun and clearing winterguard when ironflesh and solid ground are not in the picture.

    Second game, which is the one I lost was a thight game against the flameguard theme list in menoth lead by vindictus, scenario was the pit and I really loathe that scenario and I'll keep it at that otherwise I'm going to start ranting why I hate that perticular scenario. It was a close game but in the end I lost because I rolled low on a couple of clutch roll and my opponend had a couple of clutch roll, such as having a couple of good spike on my grolar and juggernaut that were contesting his flag. I would play that match up again with the list and be confident that I could win that match up more than I would lose it.

    Third game was against Horgle2, I knew it was a bad match up from the beginning but since first place was out of the question I gave strakhov a go. Won that game because I was able to take out his mountain king top of turn two and then kill his caster top of turn three. Not much to say here but don't drop Strakhov into Horgle2, having my caster immune to his feat was nice but ended up being irrelevant.

    I tried a version of the list with a Victor instead of the conquest and after these three games with the conquest, I can say I prefer the conquest in the list against most match up, shooting twice with the siege mortar is nice thanks to sentry, but even considering that conquest's main and secondary guns are way better at triggering overrun and overrun is Strakhov's money spell, by far. Also the creeping barrage is way better in mk3 than it was in mk2. I think ret is the only match up where I would prefer the Victor since they have a lot of easy access to blast protection, that and specific casters such as all the solid ground caster, conquest is a sad bear against an army immune to blast damage.

  29. #109
    Conqueror
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Khanada
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auracco View Post
    Played in a tournament this weekend with the following list,

    Winterguard Kommand
    Strakhov
    Juggernaut
    Juggernaut
    Grolar
    Conquest
    Full winterguard infantry +3 rocket + free CA
    Kovnik joe
    Min mechaniks

    *snip*
    First of all I love your list and I am a fan of the the Grolar as well, I am just curious if you would always play a Grolar with this build or would Torch have some benifits to be in the list instead?

  30. #110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Welshhoppo View Post
    See, Kuarnix pointed it out back in July.
    Huh, I missed that. Well, it's pretty cool, even more movement jank potential for the Hoff.

  31. #111
    Conqueror
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auracco View Post
    Played in a tournament this weekend with the following list,

    Winterguard Kommand
    Strakhov
    Juggernaut
    Juggernaut
    Grolar
    Conquest
    Full winterguard infantry +3 rocket + free CA
    Kovnik joe
    Min mechaniks

    I ended up 3rd in that tournament, played Strakhov 3 times and butcher3 once, actually lost my first game in mk3 with Strakhov (so I'm currently 10/1 with him). The list is a very good general drop, the only thing against which I would not run it is an armor skew, I did go against Horgle2 with an arm 23 mtk (because inviolable resolve in troll is ok I guess) and I was only able to win because my opponent did a mistake and allowed me to charge his mtk with the two juggy and the conquest on my feat turn, if any of these 3 pieces hadn't made it, I would have lost that game, so live and learn and even with the kind of punch I'm packing in the list, going up against an arm skew is a bad idea.

    First game was against PVlad in a winterguard kommand list with 4 jacks, two full units of winterguards and a couple of artillery piece, the verdict on that game is that stealthed winterguards win against unstealthed winterguards, and that conquest is good a proccing overrun and clearing winterguard when ironflesh and solid ground are not in the picture.

    Second game, which is the one I lost was a thight game against the flameguard theme list in menoth lead by vindictus, scenario was the pit and I really loathe that scenario and I'll keep it at that otherwise I'm going to start ranting why I hate that perticular scenario. It was a close game but in the end I lost because I rolled low on a couple of clutch roll and my opponend had a couple of clutch roll, such as having a couple of good spike on my grolar and juggernaut that were contesting his flag. I would play that match up again with the list and be confident that I could win that match up more than I would lose it.

    Third game was against Horgle2, I knew it was a bad match up from the beginning but since first place was out of the question I gave strakhov a go. Won that game because I was able to take out his mountain king top of turn two and then kill his caster top of turn three. Not much to say here but don't drop Strakhov into Horgle2, having my caster immune to his feat was nice but ended up being irrelevant.

    I tried a version of the list with a Victor instead of the conquest and after these three games with the conquest, I can say I prefer the conquest in the list against most match up, shooting twice with the siege mortar is nice thanks to sentry, but even considering that conquest's main and secondary guns are way better at triggering overrun and overrun is Strakhov's money spell, by far. Also the creeping barrage is way better in mk3 than it was in mk2. I think ret is the only match up where I would prefer the Victor since they have a lot of easy access to blast protection, that and specific casters such as all the solid ground caster, conquest is a sad bear against an army immune to blast damage.
    I really like that List too.
    Especially since I like to run conquest again.
    The Idea to use him in place of a Behemoth in the Theme List escaped me completly, but now that I see it, it becomes clear as day for me^^

    Would you say the themforce benefited Strakov? Or would you just rather take a "normal" List. I mean he should be relativly save anyway and you got 4 Points and a free Move.

    If you didn't like this List into Armor then is there any chance for him to have an anti-Armor build? Because your build is way better than anything I played against armor.

  32. #112
    Destroyer of Worlds Auracco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Posts
    1,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kovnik Ninehouse View Post
    First of all I love your list and I am a fan of the the Grolar as well, I am just curious if you would always play a Grolar with this build or would Torch have some benifits to be in the list instead?
    I don't see any benefits to Torch in this list, the native pathfinder on the grolar is too big to pass up, Torch has relentless charge but isn't pathfinder on overrun move, the grolar is and it makes a really big difference. That and dual attack on the grolar is big, the gun is situational but has worked out fairly well for me so far, variable rof mostly suck in this game but when the minimum number of attack is 3 it's ok.

    Torch gets sprint and it's cool, but I don't like the pow 17 and I don't feel like I'm loosing too much on the targeting flares so far.

    You could try the list with Torch and tell us how it goes, I'd be curious to know, but for now I don't plan on running that set up anytime soon.

  33. #113
    Destroyer of Worlds Auracco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Posts
    1,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skathrex View Post
    I really like that List too.
    Especially since I like to run conquest again.
    The Idea to use him in place of a Behemoth in the Theme List escaped me completly, but now that I see it, it becomes clear as day for me^^

    Would you say the themforce benefited Strakov? Or would you just rather take a "normal" List. I mean he should be relativly save anyway and you got 4 Points and a free Move.

    If you didn't like this List into Armor then is there any chance for him to have an anti-Armor build? Because your build is way better than anything I played against armor.
    I'll give credit where credit is due, it was Smooth Criminal's answer to one of my post that made me consider the conquest over the Victor in the list and it's been a great idea since after some try with both I prefer Conquest over Victor in the list.

    I like the theme force so far, advance move is big in this kind of list, with superiority on a jack and heavy boiler on the grolar you can have two jacks that are fairly forward pretty soon in the game. Or if you put superiority on the grolar you can have it past the middle of the board on turn one if needed for scenario presence, for scenario like the pit. The free CA is nice, the winterguard infantry have not disapointed me yet and are an excelent occultation target when it is not needed on Strakhov himself. Sacrificial pawn is also a great deterrent against shooting assassination, noone has taken a shot at Strakhov in all my game using the theme force.

    As for building him as an armor cracker, I don't know, he has a couple of ways to get help against armor, but most of them don't really seem like a good idea... Ragman is usually great and cheap to get some armor cracking bonus, but ragman is going to be way too slow to do his thing in this list. Ayana&Holt could do it if they were with Valachev but it would need to be out of tier and that package is expansive, the upside is that they could keep up with the list without problem, but still, I'm not convinced it's worth cutting 12 points to get them in the list. An I think the last way to do it would be to fit Ruin in the list, which could be an interesting idea and probably the best way to help, if you want to get out of tier that is, problem with Ruin here is that he doesn't help against stuff that isn't an upkeep such as root of the earth or batten down the hatches. I still think it's the best way to turn that list into more of an armor cracker, but for now I think I'll just turn my other list into my armor cracking list and use that list for the problematic match ups. As I've said before it can pack a punch, it's when armor get to the extreme end of the spectrum that it starts to fail, against arm 21 and under it should be ok, hence why I think its a super general drop since most faction can't really push their armor to high level like that.

  34. #114
    Conqueror
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    103

    Default

    I always prefered the Conquest, because while the Victor sounds fun and very much like a toolkit I think thats just to many points for that. Conquest is also pretty flexible with Strakov, good against Heavys, good against infantry, all around good.

    I guess Strakov just isn't our Armor cracking guy, which is a Shame because I like to run him and Old Witch in ADR, but both will struggle against Armor so then it will be Kozlov vs. Armor.

    In my experience Ruin only helps against certain stuff and not people with more "native" armor.
    Ragman was something I was thinking too, but I was also very afraid that he is to slow for Strakov.
    Ayana&Holt is an interesting Idea, especially since I never tried them. But they sure are expensive wich presents a bit of a problem since Strakov already runs an expensive Battlegroup (Jugger, Behemoth, Ruin).
    What about Andrej, is he worth it or not?

    Now I have 2 Strakov Lists I wanna try...argh...I need more time for games.

  35. #115
    Destroyer of Worlds Auracco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Posts
    1,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skathrex View Post
    I always prefered the Conquest, because while the Victor sounds fun and very much like a toolkit I think thats just to many points for that. Conquest is also pretty flexible with Strakov, good against Heavys, good against infantry, all around good.

    I guess Strakov just isn't our Armor cracking guy, which is a Shame because I like to run him and Old Witch in ADR, but both will struggle against Armor so then it will be Kozlov vs. Armor.

    In my experience Ruin only helps against certain stuff and not people with more "native" armor.
    Ragman was something I was thinking too, but I was also very afraid that he is to slow for Strakov.
    Ayana&Holt is an interesting Idea, especially since I never tried them. But they sure are expensive wich presents a bit of a problem since Strakov already runs an expensive Battlegroup (Jugger, Behemoth, Ruin).
    What about Andrej, is he worth it or not?

    Now I have 2 Strakov Lists I wanna try...argh...I need more time for games.
    The way I see it Kozlov is the only armor cracking caster in the ADR rooster, so he seems pretty mandatory to me if you plan on running an ADR pairing. In my area most tournament have dropped the divide and conquer one, so you can just play the same list all day long in a tournament, that could be interesting, Kozlov to fight against arm skew, Strakhov against the rest. Next step is ginding a Kozlov list I actually like and that can fight an arm 23 mtk and not be totally cockblocked by deafen on spray.

    Overrun is battlegroup only, that alone makes bringing Andrei questionable at best... Altough stacking redline and the feat can make for great threat range. A jack like Ruin that can collect souls to not require focus even when outside of Andrei's control might be good. I just don't know if it's worth the 21 points required to pull it off and it can't be played in tier.

  36. #116
    Conqueror
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Maybe a bit offtopic, but this would be my Kozlov List. It is mostly against Heavy armor Lists:

    System: Warmachine
    Faction: Khador
    Caster: 1 / 1
    Points: 75 / 75
    Kozlov1 (Lord Kozlov Viscount of Scarsgrad) -28
    - Devastator 14
    - Marauder 10
    - Marauder 10
    - Juggernaut 12
    Iron Fang Uhlans (Leader and 4) 20
    Man-O-War Shocktroopers (Leader and 4) 16
    - Man-O-War Shocktrooper Officer 4
    Man-O-War Kovnik 5
    Gobber Tinker 2
    Ogrun Bokur 5
    Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor 5

    Personaly I don't like Kozlov, but I would like to play ADR, its really intersting.
    I would prefer Old Witch but I dont see her with Strakov.

    Andrej was suggested by someone else (don't know). Yes he can overrun his Jack, but a Jugger gets to Pow 21 and thats a bit of fighting Power.
    But I too think its a solution to a self made Problem. Just accepting that Strakov isn't the best man into armor is the right way . And your List has enough to deal with any amount that is not "over the top".

    I will definatly try you List, even though its not the best for ADR I already came up with a good "Specialist" Plan even for the theme force.
    Basically I just want to run Strakov only and Kovzlov just as a Backup. I think that will be possible, just have to decide on the list.

  37. #117
    Destroyer of Worlds Auracco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Posts
    1,687

    Default

    What would you run in specialist with Strakhov? I was planing on making the official list one with a victor and have the 40 points of specialist be Conquest and Min mechanics, since the list is 74 points at the moment I could just switch between victor and conquest depending on the match up, against any solid ground caster or ret victor is probably better than conquest.

  38. #118
    Conqueror
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    103

    Default

    I don't think Victor is that benefical as a Specialist drop, but I haven't played it, and was told the Sentry is kinda strong. But you don't switch much, it is the same deal.

    My Specialists would be:
    Andrej -4
    Kodiak -13
    Devestator -14
    Widowmaker Scouts - 8

    The Ideas are:
    Andrej- If you happen to run into to much armor or are not comfortable with the Armor on the opposing side.
    Kodiak - was there to be switched out for the Groaler to get Andrej in (if I wanted to keep the Conquest), but now I realize I could just switch the mechaniks out (since you have 1 point left), so here are 14 Points that are not really assigned
    Devestator - I really like this Jack but it never makes it in the main List, because of the Mat 6 and Pow 16, but it has really great matchups, one of which coincendently is Ret, where we want to switch out the Conquest.
    Widowmaker Scouts - a bit of a filler, but awesome against Ret. Kill Sentinels very easily.

    Maybe a second Spec List after the realisations of the First:
    Andrej - 4
    Devestator - 14
    Torch - 18 (against cloudgame, or circle for example)
    Widow Maker Marksman - 4 (bit of a filler, could be Mechaniks or Hound or whatever)

    My main point is that I feel like I have a plan and answers for specific situations that could work. Firs list could maybe use a 2nd Devestator

  39. #119

    Default

    I've been running Hoff lately, and been having a blast. I also switched out Torch for a Grolar, and never looked back. I don't really like the Grolar in general, but he works really well for Strakhov.

    Question about running the Conquest in theme...does he get the advanced move?

  40. #120
    Conqueror
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    103

    Default

    sadly he doesnt, but since you don't want him to be the first in line anyways thats not a big problem.

    I also don't really like the Grolar, but I have to give him more of a chance.

    Didn't test him that much.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •