Strength: Average
    MAT: Good
    RAT: Average
    DEF: Average
    ARM: Good
    FOCUS: Average
    WJ points: High

Front of Card

Immunity Corrison and Fire and Pathfinder (Oh My!)
    Trench Knife - Short Range and not very powerful
    Ranged - Riot Gun and Cinder Bomb Neither are particularly long ranged, but the gun gets D3 shots for free. The Cinder Bomb does have a fire damage type.

Back of Card
    Alchemical Mask - Strakhov see through your puny attempts to hide behind clouds.
    Resourceful - Strakhov is so awesome he can upkeep battlegroup spells for free.
    Sprint - Strakhov never runs away, he merely moves to assess the situation from a better angle, only after killing someone in melee.
    Veteran Leader: Assault Kommandos - He make them better, but he isn't a kommando himself.

Cinder bomb - The aoe leaves a little cloud
    Trench Knife - Brutal Charge, but don't expect Strakhov to kill anything with armour thicker than paper.

Spells
    Battering Ram - Short Range spell that hits quite hard and sends the enemy back 3 inches. Situational, but maybe you need to clear a zone.
    Occulation - Target Model or Unit gains Stealth. This can go on jacks or Strakhov himself. Or any units he brought with him. If it is on a member of a battlegroup, it is free to upkeep.
    Overrun - An interesting spell. Explained in detail below.
    Sentry - Model gains rapid fire, you get to make a shot in the maintainace phase. Bring a big gun.
    Superioity - Target Jack gains a boost to its defence, MAT and speed and cannot be knocked down. Pick a melee Jack and go to town.

FEAT
    Iron Fist - Friendly faction models gain +4 movement and pathfinder when charging or slamming enemy models in Strakhov's control area. Warjacks may charge or slam an enemy model for free.

Strakhov's Strengths

Strakhov is amazing at bringing power to a specific point on the field. He basically doubles the speed of warjacks when they are charging enemy models and with overrun and superiority he can send a warjack miles up the field. He can also make a unit stealthed, and has quite a lot of movement shenanigans to play with

Strakhov's Weaknesses
    Strakhov's stats are quite average, he can die quite easily to a counter attack. To use his feat the enemy must be within his control, meaning that he must be within 12 inches of his opponent. You will often win or lose games on that feat turn.

Thoughts on Strakhov

In Mark II, Strakhov was able to pull off a move known as the Heaven Piercing Spear by sending a Spriggan into a target 21 inches away. And he can do it even better in MarkII by actually being able to afford the focus to do it.
    Strakhov's main shenanigans is the spell Overrun. When cast on a model, when that model kills an enemy model, a model in his battlegroup may move for free. Note, you can Overrun yourself. You could charge a model, kill it, move six inches with superiority and then keep on killing.

When using his feat, don't be afraid to use a Overrun to move Strakhov away from the battle to a safer position, if you do enough damage, you can play it safe for another turn.
    Final Mark II record 45W/0D/37L
    Mark III record 28W/0D/5L
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent100 View Post
    You've just been Decimated!
    Watch me fail at warmachine here! - http://privateerpressforums.com/show...ador!-(Poorly)

Warjacks

Strakhov likes warjacks who hit hard and have big guns.

The Colossals

Both Victor and Conquest are good for Strakhov. They make excellent sentry targets and are very deadly superiority targets too. They do not benefit from overrun themselves, but they are excellent are triggering it with massive firepower.

Reach Jacks
    In order to use a full Heaven Piercing Spear you need a warjack with a Reach, Beast 09, Ruin or a Spriggan. Beast hits the hardest, Ruin is the Cheapest and the Spriggan can remove stealth. Ideally, you will want one of these three to make full use of overrun.

Other Jacks
    Outside of superiority, Strakhov doesn't help warjacks to hit, so the Beserkers chassis isn't that useful to him. Neither are warjacks who can fail to trigger overrun, so pillow fisted ones like the Kodiak aren't quite as useful either. He does work well with Behemoth, who is a good choice for sentry or superiority. And he works really well with Torch, his character warjack. Who gains an additional move.

Units

Strakhov does go well with assault Kommandos and makes them accurate on an elite level. But he has no real way of boosting units himself, he needs self sufficient blocks. All he can do is protect them with Occulation. I have run black dragons with him to great success so far, his feat provides the pathfinder they lack, and increases their range. He can also give Ulhans a phenomenal charge threat. You would think he would go well with doom reavers, but to get the use from his feat the enemy needs to be in his control, and doomies are often too far ahead.

Solos
    Powerful solos like Fenris or the Drakhun love Strakhov's feat. Pathfinder and rediculous ranges can give you a nasty alpha. Kell and the Widowmakers can also help to unblock any charge lines that might have been blocked, but it is the basics mostly. He is fragile, so maybe a Bokur or Orin to save him from magic or big guns.

Battle Report

I played a tiny 35pt game, and I used Strakhov to get the most out of my models.

Strakhov
    Juggernaut
    Destroyer
    Bokur
    Iron Fang Kovnik
    Kell Bailoch
    Black Dragons
    -UA

Against Legion of Everblight, it was my opponents first match in two years and he brought Abby2. He made a few mistakes, but was a good match
    Abby2
    Scythean
    Scythean
    Seraph
    Death stalker
    Death stalker
    Shepard
    Forsaken

I won the roll and got first turn, he picked the table edge. But the table was more or less identical on both edges.

The black dragons went left, Strakhov his battlegroup and his bodyguard in the middle. Kell was ahead to the right.

Death stalkers opposed my black dragons, his battlegroup was opposite mine.

I out Occulation on the black dragons, effectively neutering the range threat from the snipers. They ran ahead, Strakhov gave the juggernaut Superiority and the Destroyer Sentry. Kell advanced into a forest. Every else moved or ran up.

He advanced forward, the deathstalkers moved and pinged the juggernaut a little. The Scytheans moved into position and the Seraph advanced.

The destroyer was out of sentry range, so I didn't bother to fire his gun. I gave him an additional focus and moved him forward, he managed to hit the seraph and knocked out his mind with a boosted damage roll. Kell missed his first shot but took three out of his spirit on the next.

My juggernaut advanced behind a wall, my black dragons charged the deathstalkers, failing to kill One but gutting the other. Strakhov moved closer up, keeping his Bokur with him. I figured next turn was feat turn.

One Scythean charged the iron fangs, killing four of them with a thresher attack. The other charges the Juggernaut, but with the wall and Superiority he fails to kill me, taking out my movement and leaving me with 10 boxes. The seraph advanced to shoot some black dragons, but even with four shots he fails to crack armour on any of them.

I drop Occulation, upkeep Sentry and Superiorty and take a pot shot at the Scythean but miss and do nothing. I then give two to the Juggernaut and one to the Destoyer.

Kell goes up the board and take a pot shot at Abby, but he misses. Strakhov walks up. Fires twice at the Scythean not in combat with my Juggernaut and then feats. Catching all my opponents models in my control. I also cast overrun on the juggernaut, hoping he will be able to kill the Scythean and walk to the seraph and hopefully punch it in the face.

The Engaged Juggermaut walks over the wall and freezes the Scythean in the first swing. But bad dice means he fails to kill it by a long shot, with about ten boxes left. The Bokur charges and deals about nine damage, leaving it on one box. Then the black dragons activate and charge into the remaining Scythean and one goes to ankle tap the damaged one. He manages to kill it. It only takes six black dragons to down the other beast. My opponent then concides.

Victory to Khador.
    Last edited by Welshhoppo; 07-06-2016 at 03:54 PM.
    Watch me fail at warmachine here! - http://privateerpressforums.com/show...ador!-(Poorly)

What are people's thoughts on running larger, more expensive battlegroups with him? Between Power Up and Resourceful, he now actually has the focus to manage more than one 'jack, and I can see potential for running either two more expensive heavies (Beast, Torch, Ruin, Spriggan) or a trio of Juggernauts or Kodiaks.
    "Перед нами стены, за нами пыль!"
    Puppy Chow Mk. III coming soon
    Kozlov has an axe, a beard, and knows how to use both to deadly effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalranya View Post
    What are people's thoughts on running larger, more expensive battlegroups with him? Between Power Up and Resourceful, he now actually has the focus to manage more than one 'jack, and I can see potential for running either two more expensive heavies (Beast, Torch, Ruin, Spriggan) or a trio of Juggernauts or Kodiaks.
    Beast/Ruin, Beast/Spriggan or Spriggan/Ruin seems ideal. Gun Carriage for Sentry target WOOO. possibly a Behemoth pairing. Behemoth is a LEGIT assassin now. Less threat range than any other pairing, but more consistently useful.

I once ran him with a Grolar, Behemoth and Ruin. Was a very good set up for him. I messed up my order of activation and ended up with Strakhov stuck behind an objective and two of his warjacks. And he wanted to go first to feat so I basically shot myself in the foot.

The Gun Carriage would make an excellent Sentry target, but there are also benefits to up keeping it on a warjack (free focus mostly).

But under superiority, Behemoth still has a threat Range of 20 inches with overrun. And you can give him two focus to max him out, cast overrun and still have a focus or two left on Strakhov for something. Maybe shoot something to trigger it.

I've played him at 50 with Beast and Torch, and at 75 with Beast, Torch and Ruin. I'd say this is almost the ideal build out for him.

Aks are great, especially in a cloud heavy meta. Immunities are golden.

I'm loving the ability to double cast overrun and use it keep Strakhov safe at the end of the turn. Maddy+Occultation+Distance is a great way of staying alive post feat if you're piece trading rather than going in for the assassination.
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS_MrSoles View Post
    Because it is a dice game and we like chance.

STRAKHOOOOOV! The Rushing Russian. I love this guy.

He always wanted to be our jack caster, but couldn't quite manage the focus. Then Power Up was announced. And then we saw Resourceful. He won't be doing full jack-spam any time soon, but more crucially he fills the role of pushing a group of quality heavies, as opposed to the usual "large quantity of crap = good" we see in e.g. V1 Berserker lists. Personally I like a battlegroup of 2/3, depending on army composition, to hold his upkeeps and try to load up each turn.

In this way he works better at Scenario/Attrition, getting some heavy armour up the board fast and ensuring it fights to the last. Which is a different game to his obvious "Whoops my Spriggan moved so fast it burned a hole in the table" plan. Shoutout to the humble Juggernaut as a fantastic Superiority target.

For unit considerations, Black Dragons are of course awesome, and stealth delivers them well. Another one i've heard talked about is the OG Winterguard Infantry. Under mini-feat to grab some gunfighter sprays, they charge 13" and blast, which is going to cause havoc to infantry and support units alike. And again, Occultation goes great on them, now they don't have silly defense to deliver them.

And of course, no Strakhov discussion would be complete without mentioning the classic Fire&Brimstone list:

Strakhov the Hedgehog
    - Victor
    - Torch
    AKs
    - 3x Flamers

50 points of dropping fire all over your own guys and not caring. It's a very special feeling, if not hugely competitive.

I'm not gonna get a chance to play until next week, but i'll be trying out Strakhov and reporting back then.
    Gators are my bros, Skorne are just the delivery system

Mk3 Winterguard dead under my command: 24 Conscripts, 3 Officers, 13 Rocketeers.

Curiously the idea of "Assault Kommandos" comes from WW1 German Stormtrooper tactics.. Maybe we should rename him to the Grumpy German......

The heaven piercing spear will work once and it will work really well. But your opponent probably won't let it happen twice.

But I think that it makes for an excellent attrition game and his feat means you can get a really mean alpha strike off.

I do believe that he needs good jacks to do his dirty work, Ruin or Beast or a Spriggan for a highly accurate and powerful attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Welshhoppo View Post
    The heaven piercing spear will work once and it will work really well. But your opponent probably won't let it happen twice.
    I've pulled it off against the same opponent more than once. As with much of what Khador does, it's not really about whether or not you see it coming; it's about whether or not you can stop it in time.

Of course, the third time I played that guy, he spent all of his effort keeping the Spriggan pinned down and completely ignored the Kodiak+Eliminators+Great Bears rolling up his flank. Sometimes when you see the trick coming, you're looking at the wrong trick.

Does anyone else feel the urge to pose dramatically and shout ”俺を誰だと思ってやがる!!!!” when you use Strakhov's feat?

No? Just me? Okay.
    "Перед нами стены, за нами пыль!"
    Puppy Chow Mk. III coming soon
    Kozlov has an axe, a beard, and knows how to use both to deadly effect.

I've tried him with 3 Binkistators, a Grolar and a Destroyer, with a tinker in support.

Resourceful is just amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Talhe View Post
    Squee, it is no exaggeration to say that you have single-handedly restored my faith in Khadoran 'jacks. Thank you.
    ai ar riter for webkomiks an ar gud at spelings en gremar. u can find mai komiks HEER (fantusee advenchur) an HEER (ackshun an cheezcaek!)

Combatant

So I have been running nothing but Strakhov since MKIII hit. First few games we're a lot about list changing to get comfortable but i've settled on the following for the last 7 games or so.

Strakhov
    Conquest
    Torch
    Kell Bailoc
    Marksmen
    Widowmakers
    Black Dragons (max w/ ua)
    Eliminators
    Eliminators

Turn one usually goes with me casting superiority on torch, sentry on conquest, and occultation on strak. This can change depending on lay out of my opponents faction, back up casting plan would be to occulation the dragons and superiority conquest, leaving sentry to go on the marksmen but I try to keep the up keeps on the battle group to max out the advantage of resourceful.

For my game plan i really need the focus on strak, while the old school heaven piercing spear tactic is great when the opportunity presents itself I really don't think Straks attrition game should be counted out anymore. I essentially max out allocation on the jacks leaving strakhov with 2. Running the two jacks at peak efficiency, with a free extra shot from conquest, all along side self sufficient units that can almost always get the alpha with straks feat has been putting my opponents in tough defefnsive positions.

Biggest thing i've learned is to not get greedy trying to sling shot a jack up the field mkII style, now on my feat turn i always cast overrun on the jack i know i'm going to activate last so i can send the army up and then get Straks @$$ to safety at the end of the turn.

Right now im at about 60% win 40% loss ration, but i have to say each of those losses we're pretty elaborate last ditch efforts to assassinate strakhov because no other path to victory existed, this is a far cry from Strakhov relying on one trick to win a few games.

Quote Originally Posted by KovnikMike View Post
    So I have been running nothing but Strakhov since MKIII hit. First few games we're a lot about list changing to get comfortable but i've settled on the following for the last 7 games or so.

Strakhov
    Conquest
    Torch
    Kell Bailoc
    Marksmen
    Widowmakers
    Black Dragons (max w/ ua)
    Eliminators
    Eliminators

Turn one usually goes with me casting superiority on torch, sentry on conquest, and occultation on strak. This can change depending on lay out of my opponents faction, back up casting plan would be to occulation the dragons and superiority conquest, leaving sentry to go on the marksmen but I try to keep the up keeps on the battle group to max out the advantage of resourceful.

For my game plan i really need the focus on strak, while the old school heaven piercing spear tactic is great when the opportunity presents itself I really don't think Straks attrition game should be counted out anymore. I essentially max out allocation on the jacks leaving strakhov with 2. Running the two jacks at peak efficiency, with a free extra shot from conquest, all along side self sufficient units that can almost always get the alpha with straks feat has been putting my opponents in tough defefnsive positions.

Biggest thing i've learned is to not get greedy trying to sling shot a jack up the field mkII style, now on my feat turn i always cast overrun on the jack i know i'm going to activate last so i can send the army up and then get Straks @$$ to safety at the end of the turn.

Right now im at about 60% win 40% loss ration, but i have to say each of those losses we're pretty elaborate last ditch efforts to assassinate strakhov because no other path to victory existed, this is a far cry from Strakhov relying on one trick to win a few games.
    Strak won pretty hard when he came out too. They were calling him overpowered BS. Now I have exactly 0 evidence that what you are saying isnt true. What I am getting at is that Khador always does well early on. Best punch you in the face faction (and its true now) can carry early games while lists arent settled. people usually adapt. If they cant then we will pull a nerf, but what you are saying will be proven accurate. Interesting to see whether everything is awesome and likely to get nerfed or everything is just new and we are in a good place.

Great write up Welshoppo, thanks for sharing!

I absolutely agree that compared to Mk II Strakhov is far from a one trick poney. Not only because of his change to his spell list, or better put, Sentry, but much more because of his personal abilities. Resourceful is just that amazing on a upkeep heavy Warcaster and the Veteran Leader now actually lets you do something with Assault Kommandos (oh how I wish Sorscha 2 had it for Winter Guard).

On top of that assassinations in Mk III don't really require you to always be able to slew through armour, reaching your opponent in my opinion is much more important and 4" on top of regular movement is a lot. I really like your list KovnikMike.

I think that one of the biggest issues is when, or how, to use Overrun. I basically wasted it in my last game because I cast it on a Juggernaut and then he failed to kill a Scythean (what are the odds of failing to kill a legion Heavy with a Juggernaut and three focus? Seriously, someone math!) But I could have cast another spell in its place or not cast it at all.

But do you use it to kill a piece further up the board or do you use it to reposition? You could use it as a form of Sprint to move things away and into different positions, Torch can do this really well as he can move twice, and be up to 12 inches away from where he caved someones face in.

I'd typically only cast Overrun for assassination purposes, just piece assassination that is. Generally speaking it's a spell I'd only use during the later stages of the game. Because sometimes it's difficult to remove an opposing piece, such as another heavy or colossal but be aware that you can trigger it with practically any shot at an single wound model. Because Strakov can trigger it himself try to find support models or just a single model in a unit.
    Generally speaking though the spell is a nice addition but also the least directly relevant spell because 2 focus also allows you to fully load up a Warjack.

- Sentry and Superiority + Resourceful and Feat are Strakhov's main selling points.
    - Occultation allows you to either keep Strakhov save (for free) or lets you keep something around, generally speaking I think it's best put on himself.
    - Battering Ram and Occultation are your assassination set up spells but should really only be used if you are certain of reaching the opponent.

One of the reasons to why I think Beast 09 is amazing with Strakhov has to do with the build in assassination abilities meaning the only thing you really need are paths to victory.

Edit: double post, sorry.

I´ve tried Strakhov with generic jacks and so far I like the idea of slingshotting our cheap but killy jacks into enemy heavies for piece trading, leaving opponent with no heavy pieces to oppose our superior infantry:

Kommander Oleg Strakhov - WJ: +28
    - Behemoth - PC: 24 (Battlegroup Points Used: 24)
    - Juggernaut - PC: 12 (Battlegroup Points Used: 4)

Kell Bailoch - PC: 5
    Kovnik Jozef Grigorovich - PC: 4
    Kovnik Andrei Malakov - PC: 4
    - Juggernaut - PC: 12
    Gobber Tinker - PC: 2

Winter Guard Rifle Corps - Leader & 9 Grunts: 13
    - Winter Guard Rocketeer - PC: 2
    Black Dragons - Leader & 9 Grunts: 17
    - Black Dragon Officer & Standard - Officer & Standard: 4

Sadly, Black Dragons are still very hard to deliver in a reasonable amount. Will try to test some character lists next.

I rather like this list I've been running for a couple weeks:

Strakhov: +28
    - Behemoth 24
    - Ruin 17
    - Torch 18

Kovnik Markov 7
    Man O War Drakhun 9
    Uhlans 20
    Widowmakers 8

List is super fast, and Occultation makes Uhlans difficult to deal with. If they have any kind of infantry, Behemoth is usually able to trigger overrun pretty easily. Have found in other match ups in mark 3 that the usual tide of battle is to take a charge and then retaliate, and our jacks seem to be built along those lines (armour 20, 34 boxes, etc), but with Strakhov, I'm always getting the alpha, and between Torch for infantry clearing and sprint and Ruin + Behemoth for armour cracking, it's pretty versatile. Cat and mouse is great fun.

Destroyer of Worlds Bearded Dragon's Avatar

I have been using him with Behemoth (sentry) and Beast 09 (superiority). andrei has been running two juggernauts to allow more hitting power. Also have rifle Corp (with Kovnik), Kell and Kayazy eliminators to clean out attack paths.

Behemoth is really good for triggering overrun as it can reliably kill infantry from ranged with the boosted bombards or take out a heavy during feat turn in melee.

I like Beast 09 with him in Mark 2 but +1 May and murderous really pushed him up in mark 3. Yes, opponents will be able to see overrun feared beast 09 coming but they will have to play cautious and having the threat of that in store really affects enemy tactics.

i tend to keep occultation on strakhov because it's free that way and it helps his survivability a good bit as he needs to play a bit forward. May toss it in Andrei depending on what's out there.
    Official Georgia Area Events thread

3d hills are a Cyrist plot.

Destroyer of Worlds

I still swear by the spear technique in MK3. It may even be a little easier to pull off with less infantry in your way.
    Strakov
    -Beast09 - kill piece.
    -Ruin- kill piece
    -Torch - anti- stealth, jam piece with sprint, sentry target if need be, back up kill piece
    Drakhun, can clear a path, kill a caster, or finish off something wounded.
    Yuri - as above
    Tinker - repair bot
    Black dragons - Plan B. They jam/hold zones/get in the way.
    Widow makers - clear stuff

works great so far, but i am thinking about dropping torch and widowmakers for the behemoth.

Hey folks I want to explicitly point out I didn't catch for a long time, just in case anyone else missed it.

The once-per-turn casting stipulation on Overrun is no more. You can only move a specific model once with Overrun, but you can have as many instances of Overrun in play as you like. This means that if you need to, you can Spear and as your final activation use a second instance of Overrun to move Strakov back to safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yertle4 View Post
    Oleg is the name, and making Cygnarans cry is the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kovnik Legolam View Post
    I rather like this list I've been running for a couple weeks:

Strakhov: +28
    - Behemoth 24
    - Ruin 17
    - Torch 18

Kovnik Markov 7
    Man O War Drakhun 9
    Uhlans 20
    Widowmakers 8

List is super fast, and Occultation makes Uhlans difficult to deal with. If they have any kind of infantry, Behemoth is usually able to trigger overrun pretty easily. Have found in other match ups in mark 3 that the usual tide of battle is to take a charge and then retaliate, and our jacks seem to be built along those lines (armour 20, 34 boxes, etc), but with Strakhov, I'm always getting the alpha, and between Torch for infantry clearing and sprint and Ruin + Behemoth for armour cracking, it's pretty versatile. Cat and mouse is great fun.

Looks terrible you obviously have no idea what you are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    Looks terrible you obviously have no idea what you are doing.
    ouch? 10 characters.

I think it may be sarcasm.

This is the Khador board after all.

I don't know what you're talking about
    Quote Originally Posted by Frey
    Moose don't get angry, they get even
    It is important to note that I am just awful at this game. Seriously, watching me play is like watching Keanu Reeves perform Hamlet. It's funny at first, but then starts to get quietly sad, until you just want to leave the room.

I think it may be sarcasm.

This is the Khador board after all.
    possible. I don't read those things terribly well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendan View Post
    I don't know what you're talking about
    Somebody hotswap Superiority to Wenden, Occulation isn't working well on him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yertle4 View Post
    Oleg is the name, and making Cygnarans cry is the game.

Ohh, bringing it back with a Strakhov Reference!

Nice work!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frey
    Moose don't get angry, they get even
    It is important to note that I am just awful at this game. Seriously, watching me play is like watching Keanu Reeves perform Hamlet. It's funny at first, but then starts to get quietly sad, until you just want to leave the room.

Quote Originally Posted by Trihnicus View Post
    ouch? 10 characters.
    Guy's our best local player (I hope). I'm just teasing.

oh boy, i love the new strakhov! something i have been trying for a few games is to include a demolisher with him. great for occupying scenario while the dance kommander is playing his cat and mouse game with the enemy, he also makes a great sentry target! shoot during maintenance (usually to clear out jammers in melee, can't really miss that way) and close up once you activate him as the usual bulldoze/slam bot to keep his objective a little more open. works wonders for me. if you combine him with a grolar, he can put 2 boosted pow 15 into the knocked down target (for a single focus from strakhov ofc) and overrun is great to get some distance between him and enemy heavy hitters, should you really need to use his guns.

having great success with him so far.

the other noteworthy mention are his AKs, i love the flair of these guys and in mk3 they can really pull some work! the trick ist to take a min unit with max flamers, having them stroll down the field casually in shield wall and charge them in on feat turn. the regular kommandos have an insane threat via assault and can keep back a little, they just throw their gas on tough troops or warbeasts to prevent healing, maybe shoot a trooper here and there. the flamers though are at the fore, they "only" have gunfighter. but they charge 13 inch under his feat and can hose down quite a few troops with rat 7 pow 12 sprays (if you pull it of correctly they will profit from his veteran leader everytime.)

@Trials
    That's really interesting, I hadn't considered the Demolisher with Strakhov much. I was running a Devastator, for the extra range on charge+explode, but your plan works well on non-feat turns.

Do you have a specific list you could post up? Would be great to see how you run him.
    Gators are my bros, Skorne are just the delivery system

Mk3 Winterguard dead under my command: 24 Conscripts, 3 Officers, 13 Rocketeers.

today i played the following:

Strakhov
    +Demolisher
    +Torch
    +Grolar
    +War Dog
    Min AssaultKommandos
    +3 Flamer
    Max BlackDragons
    +Officer+SB
    Greylord Ternion
    Manhunter

i played against abby2 with proteus, typhon, carnivean and seraph, 2 deathstalkers, 2 spell martyrs and a forsaken. he also had a min unit of archer, but they didn't contribute much, since he didn't want them die to a blast to trigger overrun.
    it was a slow game with both of us trying to get into position for an alpha. i baited him out by pushing the demolisher up the middle. he took the brunt of the charge well. next turn i struck back hard but left strakhov too far forward camping 2 (16" threat with a flying heavies is something i guess). later we saw that i could have used those two focus to let torch kill typhon and trigger overrun, moving the kommander out of range. as it played out i took 2 of his heavies and pinned the seraph with pikes. but a feated proteus flew over my jack line, survived the barrage of freestrikes miraculously with only a broken mind, but thanks to boosts and his animus he beat the kommander into submission.

in hindsight i'd replace the black dragons with uhlans and the ternion for widows. manhunter goes for the ifkovnik. seems like the way to go, keeps the dynamic of kommando gas clouds, knockdown and spirit killing. i really liked the jack setup, although not ideal for such a beast heavy list, but i like the versatility of the battlegroup. grolar is a beast with superiority!
    Last edited by Mr Trials; 07-14-2016 at 01:38 PM.

If Strakhov has Torch in his battlegroup and casts and upkeeps Superiority on him, then casts Overrun on Torch and pops his feat, and Torch charges a model and destroys it, how far away from his beginning point can Torch threaten to wind up in melee range assuming that the originally charged model was at the optimal distance for maximum movement?

Well Torch would charge 13 with 1 inch reach. Move 6 more to 19, engaging up to 20. He can then Sprint at the end of his activation. So he can engage targets 26 inches up the board.

Well Torch would charge 13 with 1 inch reach. Move 6 more to 19, engaging up to 20. He can then Sprint at the end of his activation. So he can engage targets 26 inches up the board.
    That was what I was coming up with but thought maybe I was adding up a move or bonus that I shouldn't be. Granted, once he gets to 26", his turn is effectively over, but if he engages an enemy model/unit it has to deal with him in melee. This scenario also requires a perfectly located model to charge at 14" that he can one-shot, but getting a model with a base SPD of 4 to cover 26" is a neat trick if you can ever manage to get it off.

Thinking of this list as an anti-Hordes drop

Strakhov
    - Torch
    - Ruin
    - Juggernaut
    - Reinholt

Iron Fangs + UA
    Iron Kovnik
    Assault Kommandos
    - 2x Flamethrowers
    Alten Ashley
    Widowmaker Marksman

Occulation goes on the Iron Fangs for the approach, Sentry can go on the Marksman early game so he gets an extra 3 auto damage so between him and Alten they do 9+d3 damage to beasts then switches to the Kommandos.
    Mk3 Record - Khador - 17/9
    Legion - 1/1
    Battles wut I had
    Newest report (12/30/16): Irusk2 vs Magnus2

Double post
    Legion - 1/1
    Battles wut I had

Looks pretty good HereComesTomorrow. Do think the Iron Fang Uhlans would grand you more power into general Hordes factions because you can be absolutely certain they will reach your opponent's pieces before they reach yours.

I don't feel you really need Reinholdt however, I think it might be better to upgrade Ruin or upgrade the Iron Fang to Uhlans, Black Dragons and add a 3rd Flamer.

Quote Originally Posted by JDAntoine View Post
    Looks pretty good HereComesTomorrow. Do think the Iron Fang Uhlans would grand you more power into general Hordes factions because you can be absolutely certain they will reach your opponent's pieces before they reach yours.

I don't feel you really need Reinholdt however, I think it might be better to upgrade Ruin or upgrade the Iron Fang to Uhlans, Black Dragons and add a 3rd Flamer.
    Last time I played Uhlans into Hordes an Archangel shot all but one of the unit off the table in one round.

I said in another thread I feel like 20pts is a lot to pay for only 5 guys. In certain lists they're great but they're easy to focus down on with boostable shooting, which Hordes, especially Legion, has a lot of.

Also, Reinholt is for Stealth removal. Deathstalkers are a huge pain to deal with otherwise.
    Last edited by HereComesTomorrow; 07-17-2016 at 12:42 PM.
    Legion - 1/1
    Battles wut I had

I just remembered that I actually wrote a few Strakhov battle reports. So I'm going to resurrect the thread and toot my own horn.

http://privateerpressforums.com/show...=1#post3717292

(Toot toot)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast