Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default KGB Butcher3 - the better, the stronger scenario B3 ever!

This is the new MK3 KGB on Butcher3 (the archive is still here). And I can tell you one thing right now: Cygnar is going to lose against B3 in MK3 just like they did in MK2! But there are two things your list will need: 1. at least one, better two Shield Guards against Caine2 in particular - and Eiryss1 in general - and 2. Orin against Haley2's dirty tricks. And believe me: Haley hates Orin from the bottom of her heart! It's plain lovely - so protect him well! - And indeed, Cygnar is still playing the dirty way, using any trick available. So, keep your eyes open:

I'm looking forward to this new B3. I feel as though he has gotten better. I'll probably end up running a similar list to what I did in mk2 (see previous kgb).

But at one point I am going to run a crazy list with 2 juggernauts, 2 grolars, Ruin, Kodiak and some ternion.
    Final Mark II record 45W/0D/37L
    Mark III record 39W/0D/6L
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent100 View Post
    You've just been Decimated!
    Watch me fail at warmachine here! - http://privateerpressforums.com/show...ador!-(Poorly)

As said at the very beginning of the MK3 leaks: B3 and S1 were played MK3ish already at the end of MK2. But I think that we're not yet where MK3 is leading us. The question to me is 3, 4, 5 right now? Currently playing Ruin and double Kodiak, but already testing it with one or two additional Juggies. Same with S1 by the way. Interesting times...

Played B3 into Sloan today at a tournament. played Entrenched? 2 rectangular zones with objectives in them.

B3
    Behemoth
    Ruin
    Kodiak
    Madelyn

Bokur
    Kell
    Uhlans
    Widowmaker scouts

vs

Sloan
    Reinholdt
    Thunderhead
    2 Hunters
    2 Defenders
    1 Firefly
    Alten Ashley
    Min Stormlances

that may be it

Turn 1 he advanced. Kell aimed and sniped out the arm of 1 of the hunters which had been over extended. Super bummer. Widowmakers try to do the same thing to the firefly on their side. Uhlans run forward behind a wall and threaten the far zone with the widowmakers. Butcher, Behemoth, Kell and the Bokur take the near side while Ruin and Kodiak go up the center.

Top of 2 he feats. Firefly zaps the widowmakers and rolls 3 for leaps (screw that thing) Thunderhead only really has the option of the Uhlans in cover. He manages to zap one of them and it dies. Everything else in his army except the lame hunter shoots living hell out of the Kodiak. Kodiak survives on 3 boxes. Lame hunter shoots Madelyn and she suckers it off for Vengeance. He shoots her again and puts her down.

My bottom of 2 Ruin gets 2 and Behemoth gets one. I have Kell snipe one Stormlance while behemoth nails the other two. Vengeance move and a walk and an energizer get Butcher to dominate the near zone right next to my objective which is the effigy of Valor (I love that thing). the remaining dog tries to block line of sight with the objective and the bokur tucks himself into a safe spot. Ruin charges the enemy objective and half wrecks the firefly. Only 2 Uhlans have threat to Thunderhead. They both charge him, but one of them winds up taking a free strike and dying. The other 2 finish wrecking the Firefly and engage the left side (intact) hunter and Thunderhead.

So he has a half wrecked hunter and 2 defenders with his feat burned facing a turtled Butcher camping 1. He finishes off the kodiak and puts a shot into Butcher. I shieldguard it and the Bokur survives with 1 box. I point out at this point that Sloan is within 13.5 inches of Butcher. He doesn't have enough firepower left to kill Butcher and if he shoots me again vengeance wins me the game (new vengeance is awesome). we were having a fairly friendly gentlemans game with some take backing of order of activations errors and it was clear that he had forgotten to refuge Sloan.

He decides to scuff behemoths pain instead and walks the lame hunter into my zone to contest. Thunderhead 2 hand throws ruin out of the far zone (presumably to prevent him from assassinating Sloan who is fairly close on a hill.)

At this point I forsee it taking 3-4 turns to win the game by scenario. I don't really have any way to get Sloan or the far defender and I'm worried that before I can win the game that the 2 defenders and kara will shoot me to pieces. I can ditch scenario and and go snag the near defender more or less removing his ability to threaten Butcher. I do so and kill it in about 2 swings. Butcher is camping 1 at this point in concealment with a (still alive) bokur. he only has 3 shots in his army that can damage Butcher and I'm like (naaaah defender cannon isn't gonna kill me). Which leads to the moment I damn near **** the bed. I decide that Butcher is perfectly safe and decide to save feat so that I can dance back to my zone and win the game 5/0.

Behemoth spends 2 full rounds whiffing at the lame hunter in my zone and the remaining argus does the same to Alten Ashley.

He allocates 3 to the defender (and I'm like... why does defender have 3 focus? doesn't he know that Defender can only spend 2?) and then I remember that defender has a perfectly functional hammer thing. Thunderhead kills the uhlan engaging intact hunter (oh right he can do that) and shoots the bokur....fails to break armor. Kara sloan nails her first shot and I shield guard it to bokur killing the poor guy. Her second shot rolls an almighty 1,1,2,2. Dice off 6 for damage. Defender charges in and... misses his charge attack. Defender swings again and rolls 9 to put 8 damage on Butcher and then misses his third swing.

At this point Butcher is half dead and my previous plans many errors make me feel sheepish. I stop being cocky and immediately bury Kara for the game.

Now aside from the ..colossal error that almost lost me the game I had a fully intact ruin and behemoth. 2 Uhlans tying up thunderhead and kell picking off targets of opportunity. He didn't have much recourse.

Now his list was... not the best ever (we are all still experimenting ayup) and my list was subpar because half my army is still on the bench, but barring a very lopsided Sloan I don't think she has the firepower to shoot me off the table.

Great batrep!

Did you already test Drakhuns instead of Uhlans? I started with two min units - and moved over to two Drakhuns: you're losing attacks this way (although the POW 14 impacts have to be mentioned) and 1" threat, but you gain higher ARM, more boxes for fewer points, countercharge and, most important to me, reach when simply running to engage.

Besides I can't point you to Orin strongly enough: Haley2 is alive and kicking - and Orin is a massive counter. (Also against other factions )
    Last edited by @Kriegsspiele; 07-16-2016 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @Kriegsspiele View Post
    Great batrep!

Did you already test Drakhuns instead of Uhlans? I started with two min units - and moved over to two Drakhuns: you're losing attacks this way (although the POW 14 impacts have to be mentioned) and 1" threat, but you gain higher ARM, more boxes for fewer points, countercharge and, most important to me, reach when simply running to engage.

Besides I can't point you to Orin strongly enough: Haley2 is alive and kicking - and Orin is a massive counter. (Also against other factions )
    Sure Orin is awesome. I also really wanted aiyanna and saxon and Eliminators. The points level of this version is rather irksome. I feel like there is ALWAYS something I'm leaving out. no room for fluff. I haven't really figured out what is absolutely necessary or just merely exceptionally useful.

Destroyer of Worlds

Eat flaming Lola, Sloan!

Yeah, I think the B3 drop is going to be Haley2 most of the time, and it's probably best to build for her. TK and feat is just crushing. Orin is at the top of my to-buy list.

Relevant to the KGB: here are two really interesting B3 vs Haley2 games from the awesome Courage of Caspia blog:
    http://www.courageofcaspia.com/2016/...-butcher3.html
    http://www.courageofcaspia.com/2016/...ame-4-207.html

Quote Originally Posted by Trihnicus View Post
    I haven't really figured out what is absolutely necessary or just merely exceptionally useful.
    Give Orin a try! It's plain lovely when a Cygnar player is crying: "Cheater!"

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyTerror View Post
    Yeah, I think the B3 drop is going to be Haley2 most of the time, and it's probably best to build for her. TK and feat is just crushing. Orin is at the top of my to-buy list.
    Not entirely sure yet, but most probably it is Haley2: Caine2 is a good choice, too. But since I've added a 2nd Shield Guard to my list, my Cygnar playing friends started testing different, non-shooty lists.

Destroyer of Worlds

Not entirely sure yet, but most probably it is Haley2: Caine2 is a good choice, too. But since I've added a 2nd Shield Guard to my list, my Cygnar playing friends started testing different, non-shooty lists.
    I think the excellent Caspia blog makes a good case for H2 / Sloan. But whatever it is, yeah, I think H2 is still really strong vs Khador, and that's going to be my main target in thinking up what to take. Orin forever. Ruin too. And that all speaks well for B3 in the matchup.

Destroyer of Worlds

And I can tell you one thing right now: Cygnar is going to lose against B3 in MK3 just like they did in MK2! But there are two things your list will need: 1. at least one, better two Shield Guards against Caine2 in particular - and Eiryss1 in general - and 2. Orin against Haley2's dirty tricks.
    High five! While I do share your opinion that Butcher 3 is very well set up into Cygnar I believe our general Cygnar counter has massively increased because Cygnar changed quite a lot and the lowered number of Stromwall's generally speaking gives us a much better fighting change (and indeed lowered number of Haley 2 players).
    Where we dissagree is the number of Shield Guards needed. I don't think you require this as much as you require regular ranged support yourself and snipe out opposing pieces. One of the best choices for me regarding that has been Behemoth. While it certainly can be disrupted, it forces our opponents to focus onto it and dedicate many ranged attacks to make sure Behemoth doesn't simply lay any non-blast immume model to waste, including Caine 2.

I've found myself comfortable into Cygnar with Butcher 3 running with Behemoth, Kodiak's, Gun Carriages and generally LOS blocking by War Argus.
    Other currently popular Cygnar choices, such as Sloan, are still ideally covered by infantry-spam, which is where my Irusk 2 pairing plan comes from.
    Orin in general is a fantastic choice for us and Butcher 3 I can only agree with that .

Uhlans vs Drakhuns are a clear Uhlan win for me regarding Butcher 3. You can get a lot of milage out of Silence of Death and while it's not unlikely Uhlans will be removed at the end of the game, being capable to assassinate issue targets for Butcher 3 is what Butcher 3's game is still very much all about. It's for that reason that I do not build Butcher 3 lists without Behemoth. While Behemoth might seem expensive the fact that he's Energizered up still makes him a very potent melee threat range during the mid stages of the game. On top of that it's the cheapest and functional ranged support Butcher 3 can ask for and still present an 'Arm-skew' type of build. Which is exactly where I want my Butcher 3 (or Karchev or Strakhov) for.

The great balace Mk III has given us also allows us to seriously consider Karchev and Strakhov over Butcher 3 because 22 WJP are very noticable in list building (as Trihnicus more or less also said) and I do think Karchev attritions better and Strakhov now has the superior assassination game. However if your looking for something that's a bit of both Butcher 3 is the perfect solution. Like the previous topic I'll certainly contribute with my Butcher 3 game soon.

Destroyer of Worlds Evil Necromancer's Avatar

I don't get Orin too much. Ideally, Haley is always out his anti magic bubble since she has thorn and 18 control range.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Necromancer View Post
    I don't get Orin too much. Ideally, Haley is always out his anti magic bubble since she has thorn and 18 control range.
    Orin doesn't have the bubble in mk3 anymore, instead he provides Arcane Vortex, preventing targeting within 3".
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

Destroyer of Worlds

Orin "Come at me, suckahs" Midwinter

Arcane Vortex
    This model can immediately negate any spell that targets it or a model within 3"... etc.

(Also, he starts with three tokens, so that's three spells he can fend. And even if he doesn't need to Vortex, he can chain lightning doods. Chain lightning never gets old).

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW yeah.

Edit: yeah, Stormwall can trample, pod, boost, dead. But 1. you can still deny it with something to have Orin's back, and 2 that Stormwall will have to come awful close, so I reckon you've got a good shot at setting up to take advantage. God bless Energiser.
    Last edited by SmellyTerror; 07-18-2016 at 12:46 AM.

Destroyer of Worlds

Edit: yeah, Stormwall can trample, pod, boost, dead. But 1. you can still deny it with something to have Orin's back, and 2 that Stormwall will have to come awful close, so I reckon you've got a good shot at setting up to take advantage. God bless Energiser.
    God bless the fact that Cygnar isn't all Haley 2 + Stormwall at the moment . The power of Stormwall changed because of the meta, cost and general use for other Warjacks. It's about as rare as Conquest and Conquest isn't strictly below it's power level either.

One of the best indirect things Mk III has done for our faction is make Colossals less mandatory and much more of a optional choice, while still being very good. For example, Behemoth and Kodiak come really close to the raw power provided by the Conquest while having the same cost. Shows amazing design really.

Destroyer of Worlds

Well, competitive Cygnar hasn't settled yet, but I reckon H2 / Stormwall will return. It's a LOT harder to clear Arcane Shield now, and her shtick very well complements the other obvious partner of Caine2 or Sloan. It's still a very hard thing to answer for us, anyway, and I'd prefer to plan for her and be happily surprised when I get Sturgis, rather than the other way.

I very much doubt we'll see much double-Stormwall. But that's never much worried me.

I think the excellent Caspia blog makes a good case for H2 / Sloan. But whatever it is, yeah, I think H2 is still really strong vs Khador, and that's going to be my main target in thinking up what to take. Orin forever. Ruin too. And that all speaks well for B3 in the matchup.
    Seconded. Haley2 is completely underrated by (not so good) Cygnar players: the old hands tested all the new shinies - and returned, simply because Haley can still deal with lots of infantry easily (like an I2 list) - but, with the right tools like double Stormclads or single Stormwall, fits very good to a meta with more heavies.

Well, competitive Cygnar hasn't settled yet, but I reckon H2 / Stormwall will return. It's a LOT harder to clear Arcane Shield now, and her shtick very well complements the other obvious partner of Caine2 or Sloan.
    H2 (against infantry and heavies) & H3 (against gunlines and heavies - maybe Caine2/Sloan instead of H3) are my bet for Cygnar's future pairing.

Orin "Come at me, suckahs" Midwinter
    This! - Orin is worth every single point (and beyond in a lot of matchups)...

Quote Originally Posted by JDAntoine View Post
    I believe our general Cygnar counter has massively increased because Cygnar changed quite a lot and the lowered number of Stromwall's generally speaking gives us a much better fighting change (and indeed lowered number of Haley 2 players).
    Maybe your Cygnar meta hasn't evolved enough yet?

Where we dissagree is the number of Shield Guards needed.
    If you don't want your relevant jacks to be disrupted all of the time you really, really want 2 of them. My Cygnar opponents are spamming disruption like candy. - Besides, B3 is close to dead against Caine2 and Sloan without 2 SG. Do the math. Some slightly higher than average rolls - and it's game.

Uhlans vs Drakhuns
    It takes a huge amount of resources to handle a Drakhun. Most of my opponents removed Uhlans without any real effort. Maybe we're using them differently? For me the Drakhun is a countercharger during the early - and engaging to stop my opponent's advance and possible charges during the midgame. The passive attrition work of a Drakhun is way higher than of a min unit of Uhlans. Again: do the math.
    Last edited by @Kriegsspiele; 07-18-2016 at 01:46 AM.

When that moment comes, when the flying elf lady casts blinding light on the conquest, then you'll lament the moment you didn't add orin to your lists. :P

Agreed, Issyria's blinding light is extremely mean. No way to remove it and it can target anything on the board.

Orin is love, Orin is life.
    Watch me fail at warmachine here! - http://privateerpressforums.com/show...ador!-(Poorly)

Destroyer of Worlds The Buoyancy of Water's Avatar

Now have two Butcher3 battle reports up in my topic over in the battle report forum. Link in my sig!

Cheers,
    Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Baroness1987 View Post
    real men play Khador
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendan View Post
    And Kilts are wasted on no one.
    My Khador Battle Reports

Destroyer of Worlds

Maybe your Cygnar meta hasn't evolved enough yet?

If you don't want your relevant jacks to be disrupted all of the time you really, really want 2 of them. My Cygnar opponents are spamming disruption like candy. - Besides, B3 is close to dead against Caine2 and Sloan without 2 SG. Do the math. Some slightly higher than average rolls - and it's game.

It takes a huge amount of resources to handle a Drakhun. Most of my opponents removed Uhlans without any real effort. Maybe we're using them differently? For me the Drakhun is a countercharger during the early - and engaging to stop my opponent's advance and possible charges during the midgame. The passive attrition work of a Drakhun is way higher than of a min unit of Uhlans. Again: do the math.
    Could very well be. My local Cygnar player isn't playing at top level.

I certainly don't want all my relevant Warjacks to be disrupted all the time which is why my Butcher 3 pick isn't exclusively awnsering Cygnar, it's awnsering specific Warcasters from Cygnar and those exclude Sloan. No math needed. Infantry spam into Sloan works out better and Jack Spam into Caine works better. Much like infantry spam (for example) works better into Butcher 1 as it would into Sorscha 1.

Regarding Uhlans vs Drakhuns, I do think it's likely we're using them differently. For Butcher 3 I do not really care if Uhlans get removed as long as they had the alpha. The attrition options of the Drakhuns are certainly bigger but the damage output of a unit of Uhlans under Silence of Death is working out really well for me. On top of that we're also playing with 6-8 terrain pieces and I've found quite the Battle Reports who are still running low on terrain pieces. Which might be another reason for me to liking the Uhlans so much.

However I do also still believ the general Butcher 3 build really depends on your pairing, as was the case in Mk II.
    If Butcher 3 is your totally dedicated Cygnar drop I do understand why you want to load up on Shield Guards. At this moment however I also believe we have more options into Cygnar as Butcher 3. Irusk 2 being one of the examples (just not into Caine 2) into Sloan 1.

Quote Originally Posted by The Buoyancy of Water View Post
    Now have two Butcher3 battle reports up in my topic over in the battle report forum. Link in my sig!
    Great! Please copy them to this thread, too!

JD, I2 does not work into Haley2. Not at all. She's still a (the?) master of control! Tested it several times, no way in my opinion.
    Last edited by @Kriegsspiele; 07-18-2016 at 04:34 AM.

Butcher3 vs Asphyxious3, 75pts

My list:

Butcher3 +22
    -War Dog -3
    -Kodiak -13
    -Kodiak -13
    -Ruin -17
    Kovnik Joe -4
    Orin Midwinter -5
    Battle Mechaniks (Min) -3
    Iron Fang Ulhans (Min) -12
    Winter Guard Rifle Corps (Max) -13
    -1 x Winter Guard Rocketeer -2

Opponents list:

Gaspy3
    -Barathum
    -Cankerworm
    -Inflictor
    -Inflictor
    -Nightwretch (I think)
    Machine Wraith
    Satyxis Captain
    Wrongeye & Snapjaw
    Satyxis Raiders (Max)
    I think that was everything

Scenario was The Pit.

For terrain there was a hill on my right and a forest about halfway up the board on my left. There was a trench on my side, just toeing into the central zone. There was a forest between the hill on my side and my opponents deployment, plus an obstruction off on that flank. There was another trench on my opponents side, not quite in the zone, plus another obstruction within the zone itself

My oppnent won the roll to go first and chose sides, making me deploy first. I deployed ulhans on each flank, the one on my right to go around the forest there and the ones on my left to go inside, between the forest and the zone. The rifle corps and Joe set up ready to go onto the hill. Butcher deployed centrally with Ruin on his right and he and Ruin flanked by kodiaks. Orin, the mechaniks and the dog all followed close behind. My opponent had his satyxis ready to run up behind the hill opposite the rifle corps. Gaspy was central with his inflictors, his little attachment towards my left. Wrongeye and Snapjaw deployed between Gaspy and his flag and the nightwretch stayed behind the satyxis. Cankerworm and Barathum both ADed, Cankerworm slightly to my left and Barathum pretty central in front of the rest of the battle group.

Turn 1:
    Both kodiaks start by running forward, followed by Ruin charging at Cankerworm. Butcher then puts Silence of Death onto the ulhans on my left, Energizers everyone forward and then also charges at Cankerworm, roughly towards the trench on my side. The ulhans on the left run up the flank, going just past the flag. The other ulhans run round the forest onto my right flank, threatening the opponents flag. Rifle corps run onto the hill and Joe gives them tough. Support all follows Butcher and his jacks up the middle.

Both inflictors advance up, being sure to stay out of charge range of kodiaks. Barathum moves towards my right. Cankerworm does too, aiming to be more into the zone and facing the jacks instead of the ulhans. Wrongeye moves right and casts Submerge and Starcrossed to protect satyxis that go to block the opponents flag. Satyxis all run up, mostly staying behind the forest, and prey force barrier. Gaspy puts Ashen Veil on them. The machine wraith stays pretty central, threatening the zone.

Turn 2:
    Silence of Death is upkept. I forget the machine wraith is there and have both kodiaks trample forwards before clouding off a fair portion of the zone. Ruin advances up fairly central behind this. I see a chance to take an advantage on scenario and have Butcher advance towards my flag, then Energize to reach it. The kodiaks move backwards and Ruin repositions. The war dog follows Butcher and Orin and the mechaniks follow the jacks. Joe gives the rifle corps boosted attacks and then they advance. After a few big CRA's they kill one or two I think. The right ulhans run/charge to contest the enemy flag. I mess up the leads one's charge, so it gets impact attacks which both miss but then doesn't reach it's charge target so stops. It's contesting though. The left ulhans run round some more, keeping out of inflictor threat range.

Ashen Veil stays up. The satyxis captain charges the lead ulhans from the unit on my right and manages to kill it before repositioning backwards. The satyxis run/charge and kill about five rifle corps, engaging a couple more and getting a few into the zone after their overtake moves. I think Barathum then charges in and kills the last two ulhans on my right. The machine wraith charges the lead kodiak and moves it towards his forces, turning his back on them. The nightwretch then runs forwards and Gaspy arcs Calamity onto the kodiak (Orin no longer in range after the machine wraith move), feats and gets to his flag to dominate. Cankerworm then charges that kodiak and does a fair bit of damage before repositioning further to my right. A single inflictor can also reach it, but leaves movement and cortex. The other inflictor doesn't want to get into threat range, so toes the zone instead. The attachment guy stays on my left.

Khador: 1 Cryx: 1

Turn 3:
    I upkeep Silence of Death and give two extra to the undamaged kodiak. The damaged kodiak advances round the inflictors reach and vents steam, killing the two satyxis in the zone and feeding Ruin a soul. Butcher then Energizes again, moving the unhurt kodiak towards the inflictor in the zone and getting one of his dogs into the zone behind the obstruction. Ruin uses Energizer to go right slightly. Ruin kills a third satyxis for another soul, staying behind clouds as he does and removing Ashen Veil. The undamaged kodiak can now advance to the inflictor. It boosts both initial attacks and the two handed throw attack, giving Gaspy three souls. It wins the strength contest and throws the inflictor at the attachment, though it's out of range. It scatters towards the left ulhans, but also back into the zone. The ulhans charge it and at dice minus one leave it standing on two boxes! Orin hits it with chain lightning and boosts damage, not getting the nine needed to kill it. The three bounces into the attachment, Cankerworm and another Cryx model does three damage to the attachment after I boost that as well. Joe once again gives boosted attacks to the rifle corps. They advance, mostly getting into melee, though the rocketeer moves back and towards my left to draw sight to the inflictor in the zone. Thankfully he finishes it off, clearing the zone. A couple more satyxis die from the rest of the unit.

Gaspy upkeeps Calamity. He hands out focus to the last inflictor, Cankerworm and Barathum (he had ten due to the feat). He casts Mobility and stays on his flag. The nightwretch then advances into the kodiak clouds and boosts a shot into Orin, killing him. Cankerworm finishes off the damaged kodiak before the attachment puts a Hex Blast into the left unit of ulhans, removing Silence of Death. The inflictor then charges them, killing all three. Snapjaw goes into the remaining kodiak, doing some good damage, but it lives with cortex and a couple other systems. Barathum can't reach it, so moves to cover the zone a bit with counter charge. The satyxis take my down to two rifle corps and the rocket, one overtaking back into the zone. However, nothing can reach my flag to contest.

Khador: 4 Cryx: 3

Turn 4:
    All I need to do is end my turn to go to five CPs and win. We had a look at the board and while we didn't roll it out we were pretty sure Butcher could clear the zone quite happily If something had been contesting my flag at the end of turn three.

Khador: 5 Cryx: 4

Victory to Khador!

Pleased with how that list performed! Everything had a job and performed well. Was fairly quick to activate and get through turns, despite the number of options Butcher gives. Would like to get a koldun lord in there to stop things advancing into the clouds to shoot through, but not sure because I'd have to drop the mechaniks and war dog for the koldun lord and either a gobber tinker or another rocketeer. Opponent pointed out that he could have slammed a jack over Orin, so the no shooting wouldn't be that great. Though it would have required the inflictor to do it, which would have kept the ulhans alive on my left flank ready to counter charge in. Other option is to try Corbeau on Butcher I think, dropping the mechaniks for either a tinker or another rocket.

Butcher3
    Excellent! The changes to the rules and to Corbeau have reined in his personal threat range, which I think is fair. Silence of Death giving him an in built damage buff made it feel like he didn't need the huge support boat he used to. Still threats a big area of the board and dictates where some things can go which is fine given it's less ridiculous than before. Vengance didn't come up, but triggering on damage instead of death seems like a good switch. Would make people think twice about trying to assassinate or ding up Butcher!
    War Dog
    Yep, same old really.
    Kodiak
    Great jack! This game they killed with the steam, protected with it as well and got to try a power attack. Very flexible jack and great with Butcher3 since he has a damage buff if they need to hit a little harder.
    Ruin
    Reach was again great and dispel was very useful against Ashen Veil. Once he got some souls and started threatening Arcane Vortex he became doubly annoying. If there'd have been a turn four he would have been able to fully fuel himself without Butcher's help, which would have really helped clear the zone.
    Kovnik Joe
    Was far more reasonable with him not getting his own buffs. Minor, but it stopped him super-sniping a satyxis every turn with little effort. Didn't use Bear's Strength this game, but I think the extra point of strength it now gives makes it actually relevant in some instances.
    Orin Midwinter
    Very solid. Got to threaten spell prevention from behind the cloud wall and (ineffectually) boost some damage rolls with chain lightning. Well costed at five points.
    Battle Mechaniks
    Never got a chance to repair, but from previous games I know they're great. If I swapped the war dog for, say, Corbeau, I'd drop these guys for the points though.
    Iron Fang Ulhans
    Still great and they were exactly what the list needed (they were the last things to go in). Were put in based on my experience with them in the Vlad3 list and on Olannon's reports about using a similar set up of double minimum stormlances with good results. Really like the ulhans overall due to speed, accuracy, hitting hard and being survivable.
    Winter Guard Rifle Corps
    Very nice! The loss of covering fire is a bit of a bummer, but is more than made up for by having CRA. Let them hit DEF18 satyxis with the help of Joe.
    Rocketeer
    Felt much better having it here than with winter guard infantry. The brutal damage on direct hits is great and made it ideal for finishing off that inflictor to give me the zone.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,
    Dave
    real men play Khador
    My Khador Battle Reports

Butcher3 vs Damiano, 75pts

My list:

Butcher3 +22
    -War Argus
    -War Argus
    -Kodiak -13
    -Kodiak -13
    -Ruin -17
    Alten Ashley -5
    Kell Bailoch -5
    Orin Midwinter -5
    Widowmaker Marksman -4
    Battle Mechaniks (Min) -3
    Widowmakers -8
    Fuel Cache

Opponents list:

Damiano
    -Nomad
    -Rocinante
    Gobber Tinker
    Stannis
    3 x SH Halberdiers (Max)
    SH Heavy Cavalry (Max)
    SH Riflemen (Max)
    Bunker
    I think that's it!

Scenario was Recon.

Terrain had a forest off to my left and a wall just to the right of my objective. There were also a couple obstructions scattered around my right flank up to the middle. There was a hill on my right in my opponents half of the table and another wall near their objective. There was another large obstruction in the opponents half, opposite the forest in mine.

My opponent won the roll and takes first turn. The heavy cavalry deploy on my right flank and the riflemen on my left. Damiano is central with Rocinante slightly towards my left and the nomad further right. The tinker is behind them and Stannis is off towards the cavalry. The halberdiers deploy across the rest of the front of the deployment, creating a huge mass of bodies! I deploy Butcher centrally with a kodiak on his left and the other kodiak then Ruin to his right. Both ulhan units go on my right flank and the mechaniks and Orin deploy behind Butcher and his jacks. The widowmakers AD opposite the forest, the marksman is slightly more central than them and Alten and Kell AD on my right flank.

Turn 1:
    The Mercenary first turn can be summarized by: everything runs forward full pelt! Damiano puts Deathmarch on the halberdiers to my right and Surefoot on the central halberdiers.

The cavalry came too far forward, though they're on a hill. Kell aims and does three damage after missing his second shot and Alten aims and misses as well before repositioning backwards. The marksman has to move over next to my objective to finish off that cavalry, using swift hunter to move a little behind it. The widowmakers advance up and take out two or three halberdiers from the leftmost unit. The objective pops a cloud for the marksman to hide behind, then the left kodiak runs up. Butcher Energizers and moves up behind the objective. The right kodiak now tramples up and puts out another cloud and Ruin follows. One unit of ulhans runs up to get largely in the way and the other hangs back a little.

Turn 2:
    Both upkeeps stay up. The central halberdiers run up, one engaging each kodiak. The heavy cavalry then charge, one reaching each kodiak, one attacking the lead ulhan and the last one running centrally into the zone. The kodiak on the right looses it's left arm and the other takes a decent chuck of damage. I think the ulhan survives. The Deathmarch halberdiers then run/charge. Charges on the lead ulhans unit and a couple running around to engage some of the second unit. Two lead ulhans die and the third survives. The riflemen advance and put big CRAs into the two widowmakers they could see in the forest, killing both. The left halberdiers then run up, engaging one of the widowmakers.

Through Energizer, Butcher attacking, Ruin attacking and clouds I shimmy around a bit and clear off both kodiaks, getting Ruin to five souls. The kodiak with the broken arm on my right then advances up and kills Stannis while the other can advance up to the last heavy cavalry model in the middle and kill it. The ulhans kill the last cavalry model and a few halberdiers. The objective puts up a cloud to block LoS to Butcher, Orin stays nearby and the widowmaker kills a halberdier, swift hunter moving back a bit. Kell had weakened Stannis a bit and Alten shot the nomad, but did no damage.

Turn 3:
    Vengence doesn't do much against the ulhans and is then dropped along with Surefoot. Damiano loads up the nomad, advances forwards, casts Surefoot on himself and feats. The nomad then trashes the kodiak on my right that had just killed Stannis. Halberdiers on my right reduce me to two ulhans and other halberdiers put a little damage on the other kodiak. One sneakily charges Butcher, putting three damage on him and triggering vengeance (I cancelled this damage with over boost, but as far as we're aware that still triggers vengeance. Can someone confirm/deny?) Halberdiers on my left kill the widowmaker they're engaging and riflemen run round that flank to threaten the zone.

I'm in a bit of a rush because my opponent needs to catch a train, so don't plan my turn that well. Ruin converts two souls to focus to go to full. The remaining kodiak vents steam on some halberdiers, but only kills one due to the feat. Kell and the marksman remove the nomads buckler before Butcher moves up and Energizers, killing it and a halberdier. He then feats up to full camp. This leaves a tinker between Ruin and Damiano that I momentarily thought would move with Impending Doom because he wasn't friendly faction, which is obviously wrong. Ruin just charges in and squashes the tinker. Ulhans kill some more halberdiers, as does Alten and the last widowmaker.

Turn 4:
    The only thing that can do much to Butcher is Damiano himself. He drops his upkeeps and gives one focus to Rocinante. The jack boosts attack and damage with his gun and after I remove five damage with over boosting he does a couple. Three halberdiers can walk up and CMA for nothing before Damiano walks up and burns all his focus attacking, but doesn't get much done.

Damiano is stood on no focus in front of Butcher and Ruin with five souls. Suffice to say he doesn't last long!

Victory to Khador!

Pleased with the list overall. I started rushing a bit towards the end and made a few mistakes. Had an alternative plan for killing both the nomad and Rocinante and having Butcher sat at full focus with the feat up at the end of my turn three. Would have been a better play but I was aware of train timetables! Worked out well in the end, Butcher showing he can still face-tank some stuff nicely. Thought I'd feel the loss of the war dog a bit more, but it was ok without it to be honest.

Butcher3
    Still great! Nerfed through no charging friendlies and the change to Energizer, but I think the changes to vengence and Silence of Death make up for it. The changes to over-boosting also seems fine to me. Makes him more inclined to spend a few focus.
    Kodiak
    Yep, awesome now. A little pillow fisted for a Khador heavy, but there's plenty of ways round that.
    Ruin
    Quickly becomes monstrous once he can build up souls! Using souls for focus and then topping him back to full before he's activated was nice.
    Alten Ashley
    A solid sniper solo really. Didn't get much use from Grievous Wounds this game though.
    Kell Bailoch
    Excellent when he can land six damage anywhere!
    Orin Midwinter
    Solid deterrent to spells and has a nice offensive spell. Finding that once he runs out of power tokens Ruin normally has a couple souls to keep the spell protection going.
    Widowmaker Marksman
    Way better with deadly shot!
    Battle Mechaniks
    Still good.
    Iron Fang Ulhans
    Love these guys! They didn't get any charges off this game, but soaked a lot of attacks and fought well in melee thanks to their two initials and MAT7.
    Widowmakers
    Still like them a lot. No tough against them is sweet and well worth the loss of camouflage.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,
    Dave
    real men play Khador
    My Khador Battle Reports

Excellent work.

And yes, using the over boost to reduce the damage still counts as being damaged. Even if no damage is done.

This is great for vengeance, not quite so good if you get with something with tow.

I've see multiple places where it's stated that the butcher has a 15" (18 with vengeance) threat range on a single model but I can only come up with 12." I first thought this was due to charging, and then impending doom prior to the charge failing but according to an infernal ruling this is not allowed.

Could someone more familiar with the rules explain how people are coming up with this number?

Great batreps! Thanks for resharing them!

I like your assessments of models a lot, good idea! I started with 2 Uhlans as well - but switched to two Drakhuns meanwhile. Written something about the reasons up there^. Did you test Drakhuns, already? One additional thought on them: Since premeasuring I didn't get too many charges *before* the armies have clashed (regardless if Uhlans or Drakhuns). Cavalry, being fast, has been more of a threat projection than a real charging instance so far. But well, I've seen many shooty armies, only a few melee ones. I'm one of the few melee (with just a few range weapons) players locally. Anyway: I learned that Drakhuns helped me way better when engaging stuff in 16''. The fun fact is, that 1 Drakhun engages and controls the same area than 3 Uhlans do (if you want them to be ARM 19).

And yes: B3 has at least the same power level than before. I'm even starting to believe that the new SoD and the new toys (Kodiaks, Orin) made him stronger than before - especially for scenario play and that's what I've done first of all in MK2 already.

2 for energiser. 8 movement with a charge for a total of 10 inches moved. Then impending doom for 5 more in.

It is reliant on having something to charge, but Kodiaks can throw things into range for him. And if there is no one within charge range of butcher, then you'll probably score on the flag/zone he is dominating.

Destroyer of Worlds

I thought of running B3 with something like: 2x Juggernauts, Ruin + Beast 09 (saw some WiTC I think lists with similar) but that's so many points that it seemed there wasn't enough left for basically anything else. It would be a cool idea though, just a wall of murder. I almost think B3 will get a lot of use out of Kodiaks, other than them just being P+S 16; maybe just one Kodiak to throw Silence of Death on it to make it P+S 18. I'm unsure of running two because they are a bit pillow-fisted.
    2017 Goals: Play 20 games of Warmachine/Hordes, participate in 2 local Steamroller Tournaments.

Games Played: 0/20
    Tournaments: 0/2

Great batreps! Thanks for resharing them!
    Thanks!

I will be trying double drakhuns (spare points will probably go on maxing the mechaniks and adding Ragman) but I have a tournament this weekend and want to use lists I've tried already. Then I'll be back to trying one game with each caster, depending on when the next tournament is.

Will report back after the weekend!

Cheers,
    Dave
    real men play Khador
    My Khador Battle Reports

Quote Originally Posted by skryeguy View Post
    I've see multiple places where it's stated that the butcher has a 15" (18 with vengeance) threat range on a single model but I can only come up with 12." I first thought this was due to charging, and then impending doom prior to the charge failing but according to an infernal ruling this is not allowed.

Could someone more familiar with the rules explain how people are coming up with this number?
    Quote Originally Posted by Welshhoppo View Post
    2 for energiser. 8 movement with a charge for a total of 10 inches moved. Then impending doom for 5 more in.

It is reliant on having something to charge, but Kodiaks can throw things into range for him. And if there is no one within charge range of butcher, then you'll probably score on the flag/zone he is dominating.
    That's only half of the truth:

1. B3 almost always has a basic threat projection of 12 inches**:
    A. SPD 5'' + 2'' Energizer + 5'' Impending Doom OR
    B. SPD 5'' + 2'' Energizer + 3'' Charge* + 2'' Reach

2. If you can charge* (1.B.) the threat projection is higher of course because you can ID afterwards, too:

SPD 5'' + 2'' Energizer + 3'' Charge* + 5'' ID = 15 inches

3. If Vengeance was triggered as well, you get +3'' so:

A. Vengeance 3'' + SPD 5'' + 2'' Energizer + 5'' ID = 15 inches OR
    B. Vengeance 3'' + SPD 5'' + 2'' Energizer + 3'' Charge* + 5'' ID = 18 inches

* Remember (!): you can only charge enemy models! - And for sure: your charge needs to be successful because otherwise your activation ends immediately.

** 12 inches are enough: In my opinion these 12 inches are the way to win games - via scenario that is. I won about 9 out of 10 games via scenario at the end of MK2 (B3 had a basic threat of 13'' back then thanks to 1-3'' Energizer). Now, with the better SoD and new toys (Kodiaks, Orin), winning via scenario has become even easier. B3 still clears zones or flags all by himself - but has an even more viable BG and army surrounding him thanks to Power Up and +2 POW via SoD. It's amazing. - And for sure: If your opponent is a newb and offers you his warnoun: go and assassinate the way B3 always did. But hey: it's not needed. It's enough that your opponent will always have to think about this potential assassination because B3 kills everything in this game all by himself.

Quote Originally Posted by The Buoyancy of Water View Post
    I will be trying double drakhuns (spare points will probably go on maxing the mechaniks and adding Ragman) but I have a tournament this weekend and want to use lists I've tried already. Then I'll be back to trying one game with each caster, depending on when the next tournament is. Will report back after the weekend!
    Great! And good luck this weekend! Playing a 126 players team tournament this weekend, too.
    Last edited by @Kriegsspiele; 07-18-2016 at 06:56 AM.

I assume we're talking about a successful charge on another model correct?

Quote Originally Posted by skryeguy View Post
    I assume we're talking about a successful charge on another model correct?
    Absolutely. Failed charges still end the activation immediately. Added it to the post above^.

awesome, thank you all for your input!

Destroyer of Worlds

Great lists Dave, I'm really liking the double Min Uhlans on paper, will apply that aswell as I'm just one Leader model shy .
    Generally speaking though I don't think Butcher 3 is an ideal drop into Cryx but I'm happy you managed your win.

I'm just not that sold on double Drakhun's for Butcher 3 Gerrit, I like the idea but don't feel they are playing as much into Butcher 3's strenght as two additional Marauders for example. I want the model quantity. I do not feel a Drakhun brings the advantage I require with Butcher 3. Vladimir 2 or 3 and double Drakhun's is an idea I can fully stand behind.

The Haley 2 list I've seen certainly seem manageable. Her Feat is obnoxious but the exclusion of Stormwall is doing it's work for Khador. As mentioned I have never really had too much problems with Haley 2 by herself. Mk II Stormwalls + Mk II Arcane Shield Junior was a totally different story but now we have the right ammount of Warjacks capable for every list to also deal with that.
    The Haley 2 lists I've seen having succes are actually akin to Butcher 3's, in that they are heavy beater heavy and rely on the feat to migate infantry issues. The beauty of Irusk 2 is that he brings what is needed to force an early feat or attrition that game out. Solid Ground and Behemoth do work .

Destroyer of Worlds Evil Necromancer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pariah View Post
    Orin doesn't have the bubble in mk3 anymore, instead he provides Arcane Vortex, preventing targeting within 3".
    Oh jeez. This is pretty awesome

Destroyer of Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Necromancer View Post
    Oh jeez. This is pretty awesome
    Mk III Orin effectively replaced the role Mk II Eiryss 2 used to have in terms with us dealing with (upkeep) spells. Khador is still very limited in it's options regarding this (Zerkova's and Ruin being the other outs) but Orin works out good enough.

Mk III Orin effectively replaced the role Mk II Eiryss 2 used to have in terms with us dealing with (upkeep) spells. Khador is still very limited in it's options regarding this (Zerkova's and Ruin being the other outs) but Orin works out good enough.
    Especially as he can do so whilst stealthed. Meaning he can hide his old butt whilst still providing cover. We do also have Ruin, but that involves forward thinking like using a Widowmaker to ping a model to give him a soul. He isn't that tough to survive concentrated firepower back at him.

Generally speaking though I don't think Butcher 3 is an ideal drop into Cryx but I'm happy you managed your win.
    Thanks!

I agree that this list isn't really a Cryx drop and I wasn't aiming for it to be. Just when trying to get a game with every caster I either decide what I'm playing beforehand or roll and use that against whatever my opponent wants to play, hence the match up

Cheers,
    Dave
    real men play Khador
    My Khador Battle Reports

Got a game today against a Stryker 3 Cav List

My List

Butcher 3
    - Argii
    - Ruin
    - Juggernaut
    - Kodiak
    - Wardog
    WG Gun Carriage
    Kell Bialoch
    WM Marksman
    Gobber Tinker
    IF Uhlans (min)
    Widowmakers
    Battle Meks (min)

Opponent (approx)

Styker 3
    - Storm Clad
    - Storm Clad
    Strangeways
    Major Katherine Laddermore
    Acostak
    Stormblade Captain
    Stormblade Captian
    Colbie Sterling
    Storm Lances (max)
    Storm Lances (max)

We played incursion, and I won the roll to go first.

Turn 1

I'm not too keen on getting blasted by lighting, so I run up but stay outside the storm lances threat range of 16". He has a unit on each side. B3 puts Silence of Death on Kodiak to help it's depressing P+S 16 fists. I push forward as far as I can with all my stuff, while staying out of any threat range. Snipers all find a spot to be relevant, even though this means I may only get one round of shooting with them. He moves up his stuff into my shooting range, but not charge range, so that he can contest on his turn without opening himself up too much. He parks Stryker in a forest in the middle of the field.

Turn 2

He get's his first taste of the WG Gun Carriage. It's a friendly game, so once I determine Stryker is not a full 3 inches of forest from the Gun Carriage, I allow him to bump him back about 3 millameters. At first, he thought he'd face tank the GC, but when I reminded him it was 3D6 on the charge and auto-knockdown, followed by 2 POW 16's into the dome, he wisely backed up. Instead, I targeted models that allowed me to put my 4 inch AOE's on either side of the forest, totally taking away his charge in the middle. Then I repositioned back 3 inches. I then pushed up my stuff to jam him and prepare to threaten/contest flags. Acosta died to Kell. I pushed my Juggy and Kodiak up, popped steam, and gave him my best, "come at me bro." I left my Widowmakers in range to entice a chanrge by at least some storm lances, with my Cav partial obscured by a forest behind them. He decided he had to feat to dislodge me, and did so. Of course, this meant moving Stryker forward to do so. Again, the middle was a no fly zone for charges, and this meant he coudln't get my Gun Carriage. He did get a Storm Lance onto Kell, and 3 onto my Kodiak. ON the left side, he got 2 and Laddermore into the Juggy, and ran a few to smartly engage my Cav unit. His warjacks were totally stuck in rough terrain, and durtled forward. He took out some stuff, but low damage rolls on my jacks mean they survived with full systems.

Turn 3

He was full stuck in, and featless. I started mopping up. Ruin went first to move forward and collect souls. He smashed two Cav on the right, and positioned to get more souls. B3 went and the dogs whiffed on a cav model while he smashed the flanking guy who got Kell, and would have had a Hail Mary charge on Butcher next turn. Meanwhile, the Kodiak (my first game with him) paid back the lucky damage dice by whifffing on all four attacks (2 initials and 2 focus) to clear the 2 storm lances on him. He barely hit them with his steam (that's how bad the dice were) but couldn't damage them. Poor showing. Juggy did much better and smashed and dismounted Laddermore after crit freezing her. The Gun Carriage continued his reign of destruction and charged into a Storm Clad. It went a bit sideways after knocking it down, rolling the dreaded "1 1" to hit, and scattered. I did have a bit of luck as the scatter got in his way with the rough terrain, but pretty brutal. I put shot 2 into him as well, giving me the rough terrain I needed to deny the jacks charges again next turn. Finally, the Uhlans still got a three inch charge off, and that allowed them to clean up the 2 storm lances harrassing them.

At the end of the round, I scored 2 points. He had to go to work, and honestly it looked so grim, he conceded. We don't like to concede, but with the time constraints, it was probably best. He had 2 warjacks that couldn't charge this turn, a featless Stryker, 4 cav models left, and no chance to take out Butcher 3.

Thoughts

B3 - I love this guy. I think using him as "The Cleaner" is a great way to use him, especially with the change to overboosting
    Juggy - Still love putting this guy forward and making people deal with him. Any work he does, like this game, is a bonus
    Kodiak - The steam is great, and his pathfinder combos really well with the Gun Carriage. His attacks this turn were horrible, but that was a quirk of the dice. Still worry about his P+S 16's, and it makes me want Ragman
    Ruin - Absolute boss. Love having him behind the other 2 jacks, prepping for the counter charge. This does negate his spell cancelling ability early, and makes me think about Orin per the conversations above
    Gun Carriage - I'm loving this model. Great screen for B3, and the AOE's provide nice long distance shooting and solo control with scatters. The knockdown and new Cav rules are also fantastic with him, as is reposition. He forces people to come into the B3, or keep copping those shots to the dome. This was the first game where the rough terrain was key, and man, was it ever.
    Widowmakers + Kell + Marksman - For B3, I like this combo better than WGRC + JOe + Rockets. I just think it has more game into the stuff I'm likely to play B3 into. It also has more options to score flags and zones, which WGRC + Joe can lack b/c Joe can't leave the WGRC area, and WGRC can get below 50% by mid-game.
    War Dog - took it b/c I had 3 points, not sure if it's needed how I am playing B3
    Tinker - Really great. Might go 2 Tinkers. It's cheaper than 1 + min Meks, and cheaper than full meks. I've found the way I spread out jacks and Gun Carriage, the 6 inch leadership bubble of meks is really limiting.
    Uhlans - In this list, I love them. They have really been great sitting back, and threatening counter charges. When somebody charges my Juggy or Kodiak, I can respond with them, Gun Carriage, B3, or Ruin. Nice options. Silence of Death is really good on them, and I also love the relentless charge with the AOE's the Gun Carriage is putting out.

Overall, pretty happy with this list. I realize this was a GREAT match-up for me, and not likely one I'd see in a tourney. There are three things I'd like to get in the list: Orin, Ragman, and a shield guard. Obviously I can't have them all, so it's a matter of what I"m willing to sacrifice. I can easily squeeze 3 points of the list by dropping the dog, and down grading the Meks to a 2nd Tinker. After that, it would be tough cuts. Perhaps I'll find 1 Tinker enough, but man, the ability to repair the 2 of the 3 between Juggy, Kodiak, or Gun Carriage on turn 3 is really sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitz View Post
    There are three things I'd like to get in the list: Orin, Ragman, and a shield guard. Obviously I can't have them all, so it's a matter of what I"m willing to sacrifice. I can easily squeeze 3 points of the list by dropping the dog, and down grading the Meks to a 2nd Tinker. After that, it would be tough cuts. Perhaps I'll find 1 Tinker enough, but man, the ability to repair the 2 of the 3 between Juggy, Kodiak, or Gun Carriage on turn 3 is really sweet.
    Great batrep!

I still haven't tested Ragman with B3 because SoD adds +2 POW anyway. But well, +4 (or +2 at a different location) sounds great and Sucker is still a very cool thing, too. Since Madelyn isn't in my B3 list anymore, Ragman could do the job just like he did in MK2. Besides, I'm playing my list pretty dense - so Death Field should really help a lot. Sadly it last for a turn only - because otherwise my countercharging Drakhuns would be pretty happy to become POW 16 weaponmasters.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast