Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SteelTitan View Post
    ...will play an actual opponent tomorrow, which would be my first time with B3.
    Your opponent sounds like an awesome guy. Better concede early in the game, let's say bottom of turn one.

Also maybe give him some money or bake a cake for him.

Quote Originally Posted by pocketcanoe View Post
    Your opponent sounds like an awesome guy. Better concede early in the game, let's say bottom of turn one.

He should make a cake. Out of your internal organs once he crushes you with Lola.

Also, I like the Mighty Die reports too. Keep them up!
    Final Mark II record 45W/0D/37L
    Mark III record 29W/0D/5L
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent100 View Post
    You've just been Decimated!
    Watch me fail at warmachine here! - http://privateerpressforums.com/show...ador!-(Poorly)

Quote Originally Posted by Welshhoppo View Post
    He should make a cake. Out of your internal organs once he crushes you with Lola.
    This,definitely this. All this talk about organ cake makes me hungry.

We have an infiltrator in our mids, a dirty swan! He has learned too many secrets. Punishment shall be long and slow!
    Last edited by SteelTitan; 10-14-2016 at 11:41 AM.
    MK3 Track Record: B3 (6/1), B1 (1/3), S1 (1/2)

Gaming Group Battle Reports: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheMightyDie

This swan's gonna fly!

WOOPWOOPWOOPWOOP!!!

Another win for the Khadoran Empire with my first B3 game! Will this be the definite end of my losing streak against the armored forces of Cygnar?

Butcher3 vs Nemo3:

The afterthoughts can be found at the end of the video (28:22).

I noticed it during my own practice games against my second list (S1) and now in 'real-life', I really really like how Butcher3 and this list plays. The list is fast, it offers board control, it's durable, it\s flexible. Butcher himself (+ dogs *love*) is much more actively engaged in the game than some other casters (even if it's just his thread projection at times). The whole thing feels much more alive and pro-active than what I have experienced so far with Sorscha2 (mk2), Butcher1 (mk2 and mk3) and Sorscha1 (mk3).

I will be making changes to my list however, at least until i feel i need what those models offer. Surprise, surprise but I will be dropping the Decimator. The gun puts it in an awkward place where you want to shoot but open yourself up to a counter-charge to almost any model in the game. Considering most of the models I face are Jacks or other hard hitting units, it's basically 'I shoot you, you kill me'. In that situation, I will just decide to charge instead, wasting the ~3/4p I just spent on its gun. I'm thinking to replace it by either a Kodiak or a Juggernaut.

I will put in the Kodiak for now. It's more flexible than a Juggernaut and is yet another model with Pathfinder (or Relentless Charge). Especially in combination with Fuel Cache objective, it gives Butcher some more protection for home zone camping.

This gives me the points I need to replace Kell with Eiryss1. Don't get me wrong, I think Kell is great but Eiryss1 offers more flexibility. I think disruption can really help create some extra breathing space when I need it. It's awesome to take out a cav model with Kell double-tapping but I think Eiryss1 is the better choice.

This then leaves two points for a Goblin Tinker.

Some short thoughts on my game: I think I played it right throughout. The Entrenched practice paid off, I finally felt I was including scenario as one of my win conditions...maybe even too much. If you disagree, let me know!

Like we discussed, I should have put my cav at 20" first turn to not even give him the option to feat turn 1 and potentially taking out the whole unit with assault shots. However, that would have been a 'gotcha loss' because I didn't recall them having assault. And we all know that 'gotcha losses' are not losses at all

I also think I got a bit more stuck in the forest than I wanted to but it offered some good protection at the same time. Not realizing I would lose Relentless Charge on that last turn was not ideal if I hadn't been so far ahead on scenario. Also, considering I was at 4-0 I should have feated that last turn to not have it all taken away from me with some lucky shooting before I could claim the 5th point.

Also, Bunker doesn't offer much. I will be taking Fuel Cache from now on.

I also have to figure out how to use my Assassins better while facing e-leaps.

That was pretty sweet!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frey
    Moose don't get angry, they get even
    It is important to note that I am just awful at this game. Seriously, watching me play is like watching Keanu Reeves perform Hamlet. It's funny at first, but then starts to get quietly sad, until you just want to leave the room.

Quote Originally Posted by pocketcanoe View Post

After watching the report, it appears he did the best he could by leaving the Ulhans within assault range.

I do agree with dropping the decimater, to get the best use out of his Buzzsaw, your opponent has to be within 5 inches of him. You don't want to charge because you want to get as many auto hitting attacks as possible (although sawing certain Ginger Cygnaran casters in half with one hit is extremely funny) and if you want to use the gun, a lot of things in the game are capable of charging the maximum of 11 inches to get you back (that being the maximum distance achievable if you beat back but don't follow up.)

I can see the benefits of running Eiryss1, I just don't own the model. And both her and Kell can do a similar job, but disruption on a stick is amazing, and getting a caster hit with it will cause them massive problems, but I like Kell because I play quite a bit of Hordes and Kell does well into both. But as you tend to play a lot of Cygnar, Eiryss might be better for you.

Also, morale of the story, keep 1 dog hidden behind a wood so that you don't lose pathfinder on a turn when you really need it. It's also one of the reasons why I bring Action Saxon along, because he has it on a stick for a model or unit.

As for Kayazy against electroleaps, it is pretty hard when you have buckets of low def things around. There isn't much you can do about it.

Also, it's Welshhoppo!
    Watch me fail at warmachine here! - http://privateerpressforums.com/show...ador!-(Poorly)

Quiet! Your new name is Welshhippo!
    It is important to note that I am just awful at this game. Seriously, watching me play is like watching Keanu Reeves perform Hamlet. It's funny at first, but then starts to get quietly sad, until you just want to leave the room.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendan View Post
    Quiet! Your new name is Welshhippo!
    Then your new name is Brendan.

At least do a Michael and call me IrishRhino.

After watching the report, it appears he did the best he could by leaving the Ulhans within assault range.
    Considering what happened, yes. But it might have been a uphill battle had he decided to feat and do the assault shots.

My apologies for calling you a hippo, I did not mean offense :P

Well, it's on the forums.. So it's the law now! I'll get the papers for a name change.

I have and I am still changing my B3 list massively currently. - The old list I've played since MK3 (with 2 min Uhlans instead of Drakhuns at the beginning):

B3, the Butcher Unleashed - WJ: +22
    - War Argus
    - War Dog - PC: 3
    - Ruin - PC: 17
    - Kodiak - PC: 13
    Man-O-War Drakhun - PC: 9
    Ogrun Bokur - PC: 5
    Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor - PC: 5
    Ragman - PC: 4
    Widowmaker Marksman - PC: 4
    Kell Bailoch - PC: 5
    Alten Ashley - PC: 5
    Bunker - Steamroller Objective

Although this list was super successful - I played it 17:4 at large and small tournament games alike - I wasn't happy about it anymore. The reason? Sloan! Although I did win against Sloan builds several times (including 2 at tournaments and a lot more in total), I lost two of the four tournament games against her and started thinking about an alternative.

I lost the third game against Skorne btw, but that was definitely a dice thing: throwing snake eyes to hit 3 times in a row during B3's feat turn and including his charge attack was more than unlikely. But well, it happened, and without FOC left Rashet managed to assassinate B3 (B3 would have needed one single FOC to survive - but well...). - I lost the 4th game against Karchev because I (yes, me, seriously) ignored the scenario game!? Anyway, I had a revenge game against the same player and Karchev list right at the next tournament - and won easily via scenario.

I didn't want a pure "Sloan build" of course. What I really wanted was a new Cygnar build - and that includes Caine2 and Haley2 and Haley3! After having played B3 into Cygnar since ... B3 (that's 3 years!), it was time to find something new, and I think I'm happy now.

Besides I wanted a new build that gives me a way better game into WW (and a better Circle drop in general), since I2 isn't an optimal solution anymore: the skilled WW players have no problem with I2 these days. In my opinion I2 isn't a WW answer anymore - not at all.

The amazing thing: a H1 jack skew manages both problems very well - and on top is a pretty good allcomer against a lot of lists, especially those that can't ignore clouds (and for sure: Sloan can). - This is what I'm fielding against Cygnar and WW (and lots of other factions) these days:

Harkevich 1 - Kommander Harkevich, The Iron Wolf - WJ: +28
    - Juggernaut - PC: 12
    - Juggernaut - PC: 12

The two shield guards + Orin are the core of any list you want to play into Cygnar these days in my opinion. You won't survive the Shadowfire otherwise. - Anyway, here's a video of me playing H1 into Haley2. I had the exact same matchup (this Haley2 list seems to be the flavour of the month) at a tournament meanwhile - and tabled my opponent pretty brutally. But the initial game took a bit longer:

But back to B3: Having a new Cygnar drop gives me a lot more freedom in list design. I always wanted to run B3 with the full Sniper boat - and started that way. But I also needed to have a look at what H1 simply can't cover at all. And that's Retribution, obviously.

Be it Issyria or Vyros1 or Vyros2: all these lists don't have a problem with the jack heavy build since they can not only ignore clouds but threat pretty far with hard hitting weapon masters or jacks. So I wanted some Eliminators (the natural foes of anything Retribution), too. My current list looks this way and stand 3:1 in tournament games:

Kommander Zoktavir, the Butcher Unleashed - WJ: +22
    - War Argus
    Widowmaker Scouts - Leader & 3 Grunts: 8
    Kayazy Eliminators - Leader & Grunt: 5

As you can see, I'm still a huge fan the core setup (Ruin, 2x Kodiak, 2x Bokur, Orin, Ragman), but I don't think I will keep the 2nd Bokur and I'm not sure about Orin, too. What I really want to test next are Kossites against those Stormfall Archers and Heavy Rifle Teams.

I ditched Eiryss1 meanwhile but I might give her another go. - Eliminators, not getting grilled by Cygnar anymore, are a thing of beauty into MHSF as well as Sentinels. - But those double Sentinels builds aren't playable against this list anyway thanks to the Snipers.

Besides Kossites I really want to test Alexia2 who I'm missing a lot since MK2. And I might give the RCDS (which I'm not playing at all currently, just like Behemoth, LOL) another go in this setup. But well, against Retribution the Sniper boat is so much stronger.
    Last edited by @Kriegsspiele; 10-16-2016 at 04:49 AM.

Finally, here are 2 more video batreps of this list (or its parents). The first against Haley1, where you can just learn two things: 1. don't play low ARM into Cygnar (!), 2. The Pit isn't a scenario. B3 wins it regardless of what my friend does.

Last edited by @Kriegsspiele; 10-16-2016 at 04:51 AM.

And here's the 2nd batrep of a game in the finals of a tournament against Magnus2. I did really, really bad by clumping together my force - and becoming an easy target for Magnus2's feat. Besides, I should have contested the bottom flag with Kell and Alten:

One more thing: B3 is one of the most taped casters in MK3, again. Have a look at all the B3 video batreps right here: http://j.mp/B3batreps

2nd game of today's team tourney into Cryx. Picked B3 although I think H1 could have done it, too.

Because the tournament had char restrictions (!?) I had to alter my B3 list. No more Ruin, Orin, Ragman in both lists led to:

B3 +22
    - War Argus
    - War Argus
    - Behemoth - PC: 24
    Alexia, Mistress of the Witchfire - PC: 7
    - Thrall Warrior
    Widowmaker Scouts - Leader & 3 Grunts: 8

Yes, Alexia2, because I really, really wanted to play her at a MK3 tourney finally - and wanted an alternative Arcane Vortex, too.

And yes, she did work: the Kodiak added the first 3 Satyxis' souls which made the 2 Thralls who took down the Kraken (after Big B did most of the work) - and some more took down the objective (2 objectives, 2 flags scenario). 5:0 CPs plus assassination of Gaspy1 on top by Eliminators - and the last points by Behemoth. (There are some neat pictures of Eliminators and Thralls ganging on Gaspy1 on Twitter. - EDIT: and now it's here, too...)

My team played 2:1, so 2:0 overall. (Haley2 won against Magnus2.)

3rd game against Brisbane. This was an interesting build and caster combination (Nemo3) - and I took B3 again. But again H1 could have worked, too. I really like how these lists cover so many matchups now.

In short: Big B and B3 took down Stormwall after SW hurt Big B and a Kodiak very badly during Brisbane's feat turn. The ATGM got killed by Big B's bombards and the Snipers beforehand. There was nothing dangerous for B3 anymore and this was game. My opponent tried to score CPs and APs in Recon - what led to an assassination victory.

My team scored 3:0 again - so 3:0 in total. Sadly we only had 3 rounds but 9 teams and we had one SoS less than the other team, so place 2 only for Team User X. But hey, we were on par at victories (8:1), won on CP and even AP. SoS is a game of luck. We had a great time anyway. Next team tourney in 2 weeks ... and then no more tourneys on the horizon throughout Spring of 2017, sadly. Game over soon...

PS: We prepaired our Legion player every time to let him chose his matchup as he has no game into Cygnar currently (Caine2 in particular) - and there's been a Cygnar player in every round. It's sad how bad some factions' matchups are currently.
    Last edited by @Kriegsspiele; 11-28-2016 at 04:54 AM.

Congrats @Kriegsspiele! Great list and love the Behemoth + Eliminator set up. Thanks for the small Harkevich and Butcher 3 report, I'm looking very forward to hear a bit about your team aswell. Great games played I see, I think you'll be sharper than ever for the next tournament!

The next tourney doesn't have char restrictions so I'm going to play stronger lists again. Behemoth is a liability for example: I had to sacrifice a Kodiak to make Big B relevant. Ruin, with 3" more threat range, works so much better against an ASed SW. On the other hand H1 wouldn't have worked against Haley2/3 without Ruin. Really a tough choice under char restrictions. It was fun to play a weaker list - and still win against pretty good players who could pick me just like they wanted.

My Merc team mate played a Magnus2 jack skew and a Durgen gunline. Legion played pretty beast heavy gunlines under Saryn2 and Fyanna2. But well, that's just the common pattern you find everywhere: jack/beast spams/skews, gunline skews. There're very few exceptions making it to the top ranks. There isn't too much variety in general list patterns: melee infantry lists are dead outside of Ret's 2x Sentinels builds.

It was interesting to see all three Khador players running H1 jack skews. H1 is becoming THE jack caster in Khador now while B3 returns broadly, too.

Fantastic, looking forward to that aswell! Regarding Behemoth, I agree with your assesment, while at the same time I also think that the sacrifical tactics are often part of Butcher 3's list (still). I believe that the strenght your list has now allows you to dominate two sides of the field with both Behemoth and Butcher 3. While Ruin most certainly is a fantastic Warjack with Butcher 3 and I'd also certainly add him before Behemoth, both have distinctive pro's and con's, especially due to the low ranged support often found in Harkevich's list. With this build I think you have all weaknesses covered.

I agree with you regarding the skew numbers, not suprised, think it's still fully intentional . At the same time I think we will see the viability of combined arms or warrior heavy lists again as soon as all Command Books are released, largely because the common trend is becomming, you recieve 'one solo for free' for every unit. The effect this will have on Iron Fang Pikemen and Shocktroopers is rather big. Even the mediocre Destroyer might be worth giving a reconsideration as soon as you recieve a Winter Guard Artillery Kapitan for free...

Like you I believe Harkevich is one of our best Warjack Warcasters, Strakhov, Karchev and Butcher 3 can also do it obviously but each comes with it's pros and cons. The only con Harkevich comes with is 'himself' and if you play him touroughly (like you do) you'll see that con becomming a minimal con. At the same time the Strakhov alpha-strike, Karchev Jack-swarm and Butcher 3 execution list can also work really well .

Without buffing the defensive and general stats and abilities to a Sentinels' level, single wound melee infantry won't return. It's not that Pikes for example would just need a free IFK to work again. They need I2's AoD, SG, and Tough to be competitively relevant - not great, but relevant. Multiwounds are a different matter. They (Shocktroopers and Uhlans to be serious) are competitively useful with several of our casters (again I2, but also V2/3, I1, Kozlov). Again: not great, but useful. If you want greatness, you're playing jacks or shooty units these days. (And yes, there are exceptions like Ret, I2.)

It's a different topic but I do not toally agree with you.

If the 19 point Iron Fang Pikemen package came with an Iron Fang Kovnik aswell you'd see that the unit would remain functional untill the last 3-4 Warrior models, including the Iron Fang Kovnik. At the same time if the 20 point Man-O-War Shocktrooper package came with an Man-O-War Kovnik aswell you'd see that the unit would be very close to matching the effectiveness of 2 Warjacks for roughly/below the cost of 2 Warjacks.

We will see in the near future, but I can tell you that the difference of 4-5 points most certainly massively alters the functional worth of a unit, so much even that the difference of 4-5 points is exactly what keeps Warcasters competatively 'over the top' (such as Karchev) versus Warcasters who are competative but not over competative (such as Buthcer 3).

What you essentially do by allowing X 4-5 point solo's for free into the army is create room for another Light/Heavy Warjack/Warbeast, which is a massive change to any list. Survivability is only as relevant as you have pieces. The more pieces you have for the same cost the less relevant survivability becomes.

Edit: To make it Butcher 3 specific again, it doesn't really matter what you lose for Butcher 3 (and army) as long as the loss allows Butcher 3 to react to it. To me the trading game for Butcher 3 still very much comes down to removing pieces that can remove him so you eventually win the game. This game has become a bit more difficult for Butcher 3 due to how sitting on Focus now works but the Feat gained a nice bonus which further increases the potential of this bait-trade-stay save game he plays.
    Last edited by JDAntoine; 11-28-2016 at 03:55 AM.

It's indeed all about opportunity cost. And that's exactly what's making jacks and shooting (even more its combination: cheap shooty jacks) so awesome. But we're talking about a way more than 4-5 points difference at 20 points packages. And yes, this doesn't belong here. And B3 doesn't have a good reason besides SoD (what he likes for himself anyway) to play melee infantry anymore. This is even one of the core differences from MK2 to MK3 with him. If at all I'd suggest a unit of Uhlans, but on the other hand, there are good reasons to invest differently instead.

Conqueror

I've had two tournaments in the last month and I'd like to share my thoughts and experiences with Butcher 3.

I aquired the model only very late into Mk2 as my answer to Cygnar. Did have a chance to play him once only. So I'm not biased by previous experiences.

Also I'm a fan of Vladimir 2 therefore my caster pair for the tournaments was quite clear. I only had to tweak to better suit expected opposition. Here's the list:
    Kommander Zoktavir, the Butcher Unleashed - WJ: +22
    - War Argus
    - Ruin - PC: 17 (Battlegroup Points Used: 17)
    - Kodiak - PC: 13 (Battlegroup Points Used: 5)
    - Rager - PC: 11
    - Marauder - PC: 10
    Gorman Di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist - PC: 4
    Gobber Tinker - PC: 2
    This is a lot of heavy armor there with very little squishy pieces (in order of usefulness): Orin, Kell, Gorman and Gobber. In this regard I was thinking of Stockpile as an objective but then decided for a Bunker to have a blast-imunity option for my support pieces. Still not sure if that's a right choice but never had it prove its worth so far and niether wished for Stockpile.

Now the battlegroup - I have 5 jacks to play the typical Butcher 3 trading game until there's nothing left to kill him. The treats are quite abysmal there with the exception of Ruin that can reach something 13" away with a kind of indirect treat (Energizer).
    * Kodiak are there for cloudwalling and infantry clearing. One tactic there is to sacrifice another jack for infantry to pile up, trample into his place with Kodiak and vent steam for maximum effect. This is when Butcher is not available for the job himself for some reason.
    * Ruin is something you take mandatory with Butcher.
    * Then Rager is my first shieldguard. I chose him specifically over another Bokur to support the ARM skew and also due to his additional abilities: Shoot, Shake, Explode - all of them have proven to be useful at some point so I'm quite confident with my choice here.
    * Marauder is the cheapest ARM20 jack that we have and also fits nicely into points allowance. His combo strike ability was also very useful a few times. Think I could use it on Drakhun to extend his treat from time to time.
    * Wardog is last but not least. I think this is a natural attachment for Butcher 3. And I didn't ever find a reason to kick it out.
    With 5 jacks in my battle group I find that I can sacrifice 3 to my opponent's alfa where he has to commit almost all his heavy hitters. Then I can despatch them with Butcher.

Support module is where I have pieces to improve my strategy:
    * Drakhun is a solo I don't really ever leave at home - awesome and counts almost as another jack in the list.
    * Orin Midwinter is a must with Cygnar. Also his boostable lightning leaps turned to be useful much more than once.
    * Ogrun Bokur is another heavy armoured hard hitter. I must refer to @Kriegsspiele for an idea of Bokur and a second shieldguard in general. Thanks.
    * Kell is also a specific anti-incorporeal piece. I took him initially as a counter to Covenant of Menoth but he turned out of great use overall due to Butcher's playstyle. He normally sits in the middle of my advance deploy and removes certain smaller jammers or fixes an issue of "almost crippled system/aspect" with aimed shots.
    * Gorman is the most contradictory piece here. First of all I took him over Ragman as he has a bit more offensive treat with his armour debuff. But still I was not able to get a satisfactory mileage out of him. Peculiarly my most used shot of him is corrosion one to clear up jamming models from my heavy ARM pieces.
    * Gobber Tinker is a very logical addition to the list with 6 repairable pieces but I actually used his ability not more then 3 times at all. And had none when that was critical I think. Maybe this is due to the list's playstyle so he can be removed to upgrade Marauder to Juggernaut. I'm still in doubts and will try to figure it out over my next games.

So this is to the list and I will now give you a brief on my opposition, why I chose or didn't choose Butcher list and a few highlights.
    * Game 1 - Circle - Wurmwood. I was expecting Wurmwood and didn't think Vladimir 2 had a game here at all. On the other hand Butchers tactica: get a hit -> hit harder is fully legit. The only thing I have to ensure scenario security. That was linebreaker and I just ran two turns towards his flag. My own flag was secured by Drakhun and Gorman which proved a very good decision. Initial plan was to leave Marauder there as a kind of immovable object but changed that plan due to how my opponent deployed. I win on scenario in the end.
    * Game 2 - Minions - Rask. Once again I didn't expect a different list and went on with Butcher. This game is a textbook illustration of Butcher 3 tactics. Rask uses his feat to deny alfa on his beasts. I'm totally fine with that and get charged. Butcher goes in and removes all attackers. With 2 shieldguards Rask does not even have an assassination angle. Game.
    * Game 3 - Cryx - Skarre 1 with 2 Krakens. And again I'm very sure with my opponents list. Here I don't go with Butcher. My treat is lower and my chances to remove even one Kraken under his feat is small. I don't think there's game for Butcher. Vladimir 2 was successful.
    * Game 4 - Retribution - Issyria/Kaelyssa. I'm not happy at all seeing lots of Sentinels there. I think I act a bit counterintuitive and choose Butcher. He chose Kaelyssa. I take advantage of terrain and deal with sentinels one unit at a time. I use Energizer to exchange Ruin for Discordia. I sacrifice both Kodiaks and Marauder to make him commit fully. Then Butcher removes two Banshees with normal attacks (bad rolls - he is on zero focus). Two shieldguards save the Dog from shooting and now Sentinels need 9s to hit Butcher. They were not lucky and got despatched one unit at a time by Butcher himself. Game.
    * Game 5 - Khador - Karchev. No surprise here either. There's just to many boxes there to remove so even I get my alfa I can't remove all possible dangers for Butcher and I have to commit him at some point. I go with Vladimir and win.
    * Game 6 - Menoth - Severius 2. And again no surprise. I'm very tired and fearful of the Covenant. I think it is wrong that I chose Vladimir 2 here. Butcher is capable of despatching two Jacks even without flashing blade on feat turn. That should have been quite enough. I loose.
    * Game 7 - Trollbloods - Ragnor. I wonder is it a state of the meta or what is the reason my opponents don't have a choice against me? For the same reason as game 3 I select Vladimir here. I make some mistakes and loose on clock.
    * Game 8 - Minions - Rask. See game 2. The only difference is that I was able to reach Rask with Butcher on retaliation. He survived due to Bog Trog shamblers sacrificing themselves. But again nothing was left to kill Butcher. Game
    * Game 9 - Khador - Butcher 1/Irusk 1. I knew his preference was with Butcher 1 berserker spam. For similar reason as game 5 I choose Vladimir and win.

Hope this was insightful. Looking forward to some arguments.

My open topic 1: Bunker or Stockpile or else?
    My open topic 2: Ragman or Gorman or Else?
    My open topic 3: Marauder and Tinker of Juggernaut?
    My open topic 4: Do you think I made right choices into games?

that seems like a good list and it seems to have worked really well.

Can't really blame the B3 choices, seeing as you won them all. I would have probably droppe B3 into trolls, because I don't feel that Vlad has game. But hey, what was your list? And I think the Tinker is quite important.

I'm kind of lost of my B3 list at the moment, I'm not sure what I want from it any more.

@welshhoppo: what do u mean? I thought u were doing great with ur B3 list?

I recently tried out Behemoth in my list (i.e. Welshhippo list) because i missed the ranges threat in it and how i can dictate movement with it or remove key pieces before lines clash. Only one game so far but seems like a good change so far. More testing will need to show if Im sacrificing model count for effective piece trading.

I believe i gave up my single kodiak, tinker and drakhun for it. I know, i know madness but didnt manage to make the kodiak or drakhun do much until now. Too much hard pew pew that just removes the drakhun.

I was, I've only lost one game with it, but I don't know. Something about it doesn't seem all that great. It might just be the severe lack of range, I can't remove enough hard hitters some times in order to go high enough up on attrition. I might have to look into changing it just to make me happy.

Or maybe its because I keep losing my Ulhans in turn 1 or 2. It's probably that actually.

Anyway, here is a battle report of B3!

http://privateerpressforums.com/show...=1#post3748361

Conqueror

Can't really blame the B3 choices, seeing as you won them all. I would have probably droppe B3 into trolls, because I don't feel that Vlad has game. But hey, what was your list? And I think the Tinker is quite important.
    I have a kind of allround list for Vladimir:
    Vladimir Tzepesci, The Dark Champion - WJ: +27
    - Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator - PC: 4
    - Behemoth - PC: 24 (Battlegroup Points Used: 24)
    - Devastator - PC: 14 (Battlegroup Points Used: 3)

Kovnik Jozef Grigorovich - PC: 4

Winter Guard Rifle Corps - Leader & 9 Grunts: 13
    - Winter Guard Rocketeer - PC: 2
    Iron Fang Uhlans - Leader & 4 Grunts: 20
    Battle Mechaniks - Leader & 3 Grunts: 3
    Against Trolls I was thinking of creating a layered offence with 18-20 treat of shooting. Then 12-16 treat of uhlans and drakhun and last 8-10 of behemoth and Vladimir. This should have made him choose when to feat and most probably have it on the low end of effectiveness unless he is very agressive and can secure board space early.

As for B3 - I avoided dropping him to matches where I had doubts. I'm still mastering him but I have much more experience and certainty going with Vladimir 2 when in doubt. Maybe I need to get some casual games with B3 against tougher matches to try it out.

oops wrong thread
    Last edited by ordunin; 12-02-2016 at 11:56 AM.

When pairing with Hark and trying to cover the ret matchup, how important do you find having a shield guard in the list?

Quote Originally Posted by Druzhina_Dropout View Post
    When pairing with Hark and trying to cover the ret matchup, how important do you find having a shield guard in the list?
    Ossyan and Kaelyssa usually come with an Eiryss, so: pretty important? You can trust a Kodiak cloud screen, but personally I like to have a Bokur around, too.

Extremely. Ret has plenty of guns which will ruin your day, including Eiryss, The Banshee and several of the warcasters.

Quote Originally Posted by @Kriegsspiele View Post
    Ossyan and Kaelyssa usually come with an Eiryss, so: pretty important? You can trust a Kodiak cloud screen, but personally I like to have a Bokur around, too.
    Extremely. Ret has plenty of guns which will ruin your day, including Eiryss, The Banshee and several of the warcasters.
    Ya that's what I figured. Was hoping I might have missed something

http://conflictchamber.com/#b31bdI7q...7m9i9i7y9u8rdH

Khador Army - 75 / 75 points

(Butcher 3) Kommander Zoktavir, The Butcher Unleashed [+22]
    - War Argus
    - Devastator [14]
    - Kodiak [13]
    - Kodiak [13]
    - Ruin [17]
    Kayazy Eliminators [5]
    Kayazy Eliminators [5]
    Kell Bailoch [5]
    Ogrun Bokur [5]
    Ogrun Bokur [5]
    Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor [5]
    Ragman [4]
    Widowmaker Marksman [4]
    Gobber Tinker [2]

This is my current B3 list. After the errata I had to make a few adjustments. I am currently 3-1 (the one loss was a mistake, because i was unaware you could arcane vortex animus range self spells at the time, I would have won.)

I am going back and forth between dropping the devastator for Alten, and the widowmaker scouts. I like having the high armored autohitting roadblock, and bulldoze is nice. I also like the idea of extra spot removal while closing, and the grevious wounds.

Any thoughts?

January 6, 2017
    Scenario: Outlast
    Opponent: Dan W
    Initiative: Dan

Butcher3
    Ruin
    Marauder
    Rager
    Min Uhlans
    Min Uhlans
    Eliminators
    Eliminators
    Drakhun
    Ragman
    Kell
    Alexia2

Doomshaper2 (ADR) - Power of Dhunia
    Mulg
    Mountain King
    Mauler
    Earthborn
    Axer
    Runebearer
    Janissa
    Whelps
    min stone

-Scenario victory, attrition advantage
    -Once again, I forget pictures
    -He runs up, I run up. He moves up the MK spraying 2 cav and primal shocking another, luckily, he only kills 1. He kills alexia with a primal shock coming from the earthborn, rolling the needed 14.
    -I send in 5 uhlans and a SoD'd ruin and leave the Mountain King on a handful of boxes. Dan forget to check Ruins threat range when he moved up to spray and primal shock some stuff, but it worked out in his favour as the MK survived
    -I lose ruin and all 5 remaining cav in response, Dan feats to send mulg in to kill 2 eliminators and ragman in opposite zone
    -I kill the MK with elims, drakhun and kell. Butcher clears the other zone (needing to feat to kill mulg and cast an obliteration to kill whelps). I score 2 and because of a building placement, it will be difficult for dan to get something meaningful in to contest/threaten butcher now.
    -We fight back and forth but due to the strength of Butcher I get up on attrition and score my last three

-Dan feated too early, if he had kept Mulg toe'd in the zone, saving his feat it would have been much more dangerous to get butcher to get into the zone and be relevent
    -His list is extremely fast. With a 15" threat on the MK and 14" on Mulg, even with ruin and all my cav he out threats me
    -If he goes first he can rush all his heavies and get way up the board, guaranteeing him the alpha, and with sprays and primal shock I have to put a heavy in his face, not cav, otherwise he can zap my cav while staying far enough back
    -Might be worth sacrificing ruin as bait since the marauder hits like a truck against the MK
    -Have to be careful with wild aggression on mulg with his retaliatory strike, its a ~40% chance that he will crit butcher if butcher goes in on him
    -This matchup is probably not favoured too heavily one way or another

-Working on finding a pair for Harkevich. Butcher3 seems to be a good fit, however I'm not sure about this list
    -It's fun and its fast, but to boostable shooting or magic the cav probably wont last long. Will continue to test

You'd be surprised how often I use Ruin as bait, it's normally about half and half. So long as I can get something to kill the model that kills him, it's all good.

Destroyer of Worlds

This is my Voltron list. For those that don't know it is a reference to a kind of Magic Commander deck where you have one big nuke who then gets artifacts, spells, buffs to become even a BIGGER nuke and then who wins you the game. It comes from a comic back in my misspent youth called Voltron that centered on 5 badly drawn kids that would combine their lion robots into VOLTRON - defender of the galaxy and uber robot.

So

Butcher 3
    Maddy
    2 Kodiaks
    Ruin

Orin
    Ragman
    Kell
    Bokur

Shocktroopers+Officer
    MoW Kovnik.

e2

Played it into Haley2. Don't remember the full list but she had Min Stormlances, max Stormblades, Rowdy, Thorn, Junior and a Firefly 2 Gun Mage Rifle dudes, Runwood, Rupert, and I thing a Gun Mage Captain.

Was Outlast (one with 2 zones)

I won roll. Plan was to deliver Butcher to zone (I chose the left one) and outlast him in the right with Ruin and the Shocks. Deployed that way with E2 providing support on the left to the Voltron package (Butcher and the support) and Kell over to do irritating things on eht right. He deployed with his Cav and Infantry against the Shocktroopers and some stuff against Butcher on the left. Looked as both of us were going after the other zone. But Shocktroopers in shieldwall are....a "thing"

Turn 1 top

Lots of running. One thing you might want to copy is that I put ONE shocktrooper within 6 inches of Butcher 3 but in command while the rest of them were properly alinged to get to the zone they needed to be. That let me cast Silence of death (see Rupert) if they needed that without any hassles. They ultimately wouldn't but it was there. Energized stuff and then charged while the kodiaks did the whole trampling and clouding. They probably could have just run but I like clouds.

Turn 1 Bottom

Not much here. He puts some shots into a kodiak with his riffle guys and takes the auto damage. Stormlances get ready to stormlance. Stormblades hanging back for wave 2 which we agree later is a mistake.

Turn 2 Top

Main threat to Butcher on the board is Rowdy. Want to kill him and given the zone set up he will be the one to come in and deal with the Voltron package. Bad for Rowdy unless I screw it up. So I position things. Butcher sorta hides behind a house. I don't want to let Haley2 set up a rube goldberg assination run where she gets ride of Orin through leads and then brings butcher forward in a TK to Rowdy. So a bit of bunkering here. Kell shoots a Storm lance for some damage but had to move to do it. Shocktroppers get Desperate Pace and get to where they need to be to screen Kell and set up the ARM 21 line of steel.

Bottom of 2

Rowdy pounds on Kodiak 1. He wacks out cortex and knocks him down. He is positioned sorta around the corner of the house mentioned above. This will prove important next turn so remember. Stormlances charge into Kodiak 1 but don't kill its cortex or arms. Yeah Kodiak. One goes into a shocktrooper it fails to kill. Blades move around. Haley 2 feats

Top of 3

A key to beating Haley2 (or for her to win) is for her to get work done on BOTH the turn she feats and the turn she doesn't. If that doesn't occur....and/or if you can get work done under her feat you can do good things. Butcher 3 (and to an extent Irusk) are both casters whcih can do that because energize is....a thing.

Over on the shocketrooper zone the one shocktrooper that survived stormlance charge kills himself a horsie. Most of the rest of them do the shield wall thing. Kell is out of the feat and nails 2 stormblades including one of the gunners. Ruin waddles 2 inches through some forest to get closer to the second Kodiak.

Butcher3 reads his card and swears. Flashing blade is ENEMY models. So I can't execute my glorious voltron plan to get the Kodiak out fo the way by flashing blade, walk, Doom, FB a bunch of stuff including Rowdy. Oh well. Next turn. Butcher a bit but still hugs house. Narratively think about him pressed,back to the wall behind a corner ready to come out when the time is right axe a blazing ;-) He does execute on his plan and ENEGIZED the Kodiak forward to engage the Stormlances and Kodiak #1 (my opponent let me have a do over so he could stand up - if knocked down energize doesn't work) who moves up basically B2B with Rowdy. Ruin moves a bit forward as well. Kodiak #2 eats the 2 stormlances and Ruin gets a Soul! I make a slurping sound as he sucks it up. I have cleared the zone and get a point for the Shocktroopers capturing. Ruin is just out of zone. Khador 1; Dirty Swans zero

Bottom of 3

Opponent charges the Stormblades into Kodiak #2 and hurts it. He uses Firefly and Thorn and it dies (I believe). Rowdy eats Kodiak #1 but is in Butcher's walk around the wall threat range. Haley2 sorta backs up and you can see my opponent is getting worried.

Toop of 4

Butcher walks up and does bad things to Rowdy. Had to remember from a previous game that went south. Butcher has 2 inch reach. Rowdy has 1. If you wish to avoid the dangers of the retalitatory strike and knockdown just stay more than an inch away if you got reach. Arcane shield was on Rowdy and I screwed up Ragman positioning (one of the things about the Voltron list is that things CAN get in the way of each other) so Butcher has to spend all 6 focus to kill off that dumb swan jack but eventually even dice -7 weaponmasters can get it done. I feat. With that zone cleared I will go up 3-0. Maddy puts down parlay, Orin hangs out behind house; stealthed but in proper position to help keep TK off Butcher

The Shocktroopers - because they wanted to - assualt the Firefly. We read a rule wrong and a missed Assault shot Should be randomized to hit other things in combat. Woudln't have made a difference but learn from my mistake. They kill firefly. Ruin charges Thorn and sadly doesn't kill him prior to the shockshield taking out Cortex. Mechanics will be working on that back at basecamp. Kell nailes more Stormblades.

Bottom of 4

Essentially over. Runewood runs to contest. Ditto I think Junior. Stormblades DO clear off the one zone of Shocktroopers. Haley moves over there to Dominate. Khador 3; Swans 2

Top of 5

Butcher goes and kills off the 2 contesters. Style points would have had Maddy seduce one but out of range. Ruin moves to contest (maybe kell did as well) Khador wins 5-2

Voltron list worked great. Built with Orin and Maddy (and I wonder down the road whether it could be Bad santa and then maybe a second shield guard for full on Voltron) it really does make it hard to respond to butcher by killing him. Maddy and Feat are really a key here - you can't charge with living; you can't really walk and melee with living (see Parlay) and with her sucker rule she can pawn off shots into Butcher all day who is ARM 18 and with Focus so that really doesn't work EITHER (or Argi...who trigger vengenance. Yeah!). It allow Butcher 3 to sorta play like Butcher 1 gun line from the perspective that what Voltron wants to find is the Jacks on the table and to neutralize them. (that is why e2 is in the list....disruption for the WIN!). Once he is able to do that....and if Maddy can't be kept alive, it is fairly easy to just dominate and win. Butcher alone can clear **** great. Ragman has a range shot. Orin if magic is off the table has range shots. Butcher has a gun if need be,.....and with flashing blade can move, shoot, Impending doom, and flashing blade to remove stuff....and be realtively safe from relatation with Maddy. As noted above, one challenge is positioning - things can get crowded around butcher3 who often wants freedom of movement to go wreck 2/3rds of the opponents army.

Sorry for the delay Komrads, but since we can, I do:

Q: Now that card information is going to be available for free online, is it still going to be against the terms of use on the forums to post stats and rules?

A: There will be no restrictions on posting stats and rules in the forums, going forward. Post away!
    More will follow

I had another game with B3 yesterday. The video batrep can be found here:

The game was against Stryker2, which I expected to be an interesting match-up. I did some research and saw Stryker2 as the preferred drop versus B3 (although that was in the MK2 era). I didn't read up too much as to why that would be but S2's super saiyan mode might have something to do with it...which out-threats Butcher.

My list was:

Butcher3
    Behemoth
    Ruin
    Devastator
    Bokur
    Eiryss1
    Windowmaker Marksman
    Ironfang Uhlans
    Kayazi Eliminators

You can hear my opponent talk about his army at 0:50. A key thing to notice is Stryker2 + Gibbs setup, where S2 can go berzerk and be fully healed after.

If you watched the batrep, it'd be great to get your feedback.

Spoiler Alert: I lost the game.[Highlight to read]

A couple of things that went wrong:

* Although I lost the roll-off so didn't have the choice to go first, I did want to go second. This was probably a wrong assumption and should have gone full on into the zone.

* Maybe I shouldn't have aimed to go for the flag with Butcher. Maybe I should have gone full aggro and committed him to the zone instead. I haven't played this scenario often but it always seems particularly hard to score the zone, so I thought to score some 'easy points' early in the game by going for the flag first. Maybe this was a mistake.

* I wasn't aware of Rebuke and my Uhlans shouldn't have been within threat range of Stryker2, at least not before they got some favourable charges off. In all honesty though, it's not easy to stay out of Stryker2's threat range (16" + 6" of magic movement tricks).

* I also wonder if I should have prioritized killing Gibbs more (with Snipers or Behemoth). It would make his overload killing spree much more risky. However, it's not always easy to kill a solo in the backfield without over-committing which means less damage to the 'in your face' targets. Also, Piper offered him too many Pathfinder benefits. Maybe I should prioritize removing him too.

* Although it's hard to not get stuff killed by Stryker2 super saiyan mode, he shouldn't be allowed to ONLY use his regular charge to do so. That means he can still cast his movement spell after taking out a Jack and move away too far for retaliation. Ideally, Stryker has to charge 15-17" to reach his desired target, which means he has to burn 2-3 focus before melee with no option to retreat after he's done.

January 8, 2017
    Scenario: Entrenched
    Opponent: Kevin B
    Initiative: Kevin

Butcher3
    Ruin
    Marauder
    Rager
    Min Uhlans
    Min Uhlans
    Eliminators
    Eliminators
    Drakhun
    Ragman
    Kell
    Alexia2

Issyria
    Hyperion
    Chimera
    Max Sentinals + UA
    Max MHSF + UA
    Max MHSF
    Arcanist

Yay! Pictures......BUUUUUT only 2. Bow before the glory of my proxies! And his hyperion popped off the base. Probably good I didn't take too many pictures. Kevin is just getting back into the game after a break, so we played a pretty loose game

-He runs up, I run up as shown

-Butcher is camping 2 and Kevin goes into the tank debating an assassination
    -Issyria feats casts blinding light through his chimera, he moves up his AD MHSF and puts 8 shots into butcher at dice-8. He only does 4 pts of damage and I don't spend butcher's focus
    -Kevin abandons his assassination plan and instead focuses the rest of his shots (MHSF and Hyperion) to remove the marauder

-Butcher uses his vengeance move to move up, cast impending, kill 4 MHSF then advances backwards out of hyperions melee threat range.
    -One unit of eliminators charge his sentinels, killed 4 and tying up another 3, Uhlans kill chimera and reposition onto the flag to score
    -Ruin and Alexia get fueled up on souls, but silly me forgets to put either of them near butcher
    -Other uhlans and eliminators kill more MHSF

-Butcher is camping 2, and I forget about vengeance on the sentinels...uh oh
    -I also forget Issyria has flight so with only 1 velocity move, she can get into range to blinding light butcher and she casts crusaders call
    -Hyperion moves up and shoots butcher and gets a couple more points on him
    -With his vengeance and crusaders call he his able to get 4 sentinels onto butcher. All hit and no tough.

Sad Butcher (I moved a red eliminator before taking the picture, she was farther up the board)

-I easily could have kept butcher safe with better placement, but good on Kevin for capitalizing especially with only a few minutes left on his clock (lot of tank time). Otherwise I was in a pretty spot
    -Drakhun is great for tying up and kill MHSF and eliminators are amazing at doing the same to sentinels
    -Need to work on better side steps to maximize jam potential
    -Also need to make sure eliminators survive his feat turn so they can take care of the sentinels
    -Perhaps putting them behind uhlans so they at least need to hill 1-2 cav models before they can get los to the elims
    -Issyria's assassination needs to be respected, the feat plus all her shooting is surprisingly dangerous, even to Butcher, I definitely did not respect it this game
    -Ruin will be important for knocking off Inviolable Resolve, either off the sentinels so butcher can drag them in, or off Hyperion so he's only arm 19
    -Should try to set up a situation that butcher goes in to finish off hyperion and then feats to stay safe from sentinels

-I'm liking Butcher as a ret drop so far (1 game deep), the list seems decent so far, Kevin mentioned how difficult his list has at removing cavalry from range, so the double min uhlans might be good to keep. Kevin is going to replace one MHSF unit with Invictors, this will give him better game into my cav, hopefully we can play the matchup again soon Will continue to test the list

Soooooooooooooooooooo I wrote a battle report in my own thread, but rather than forcing everyone to go and read it there, I'll post it here too.

It has been a while, but I'm back again and ready to party like it is 1699!

I've been umming and arring over what to bring with my Khador (umming and arring being technical words) and decided to bring along ole Butcher3 once more.

By the Way, if this list looks at all similar to any other recently seen Butcher lists, you are obviously wrong. I'd never 'web list' and if anyone says otherwise then it is pistols at dawn!

Butcher3
    -War Dog
    -Kodiak1 (The 5th Border Legion one)
    -Kodiak2 (The Red One)
    -Kodiak3 (The one so fresh from the armoury that it hasn't been painted yet one)
    -Ruin

Man O War Kovnik
    Widowmaker Marksman

Widowmaker Scouts
    Man o War Shocktroopers
    -Man o War Officer

Voltron Activate! My idea was to have Butcher and his jacks deal with one side, and the Shocktroopers dealing with the other. I was up against Fyanna2 and the Legion of Everblight, I'll post my opponents exact list later. Or maybe I wont, we'll see if anyone even notices it isn't here, and it allows me to throw in more models to make my epic scenes seem more epic.

My opponent wins the roll off and picks a side, I decided to go second. Why? Because my B3 list is scenario and I want to score first.

I deploy with my Shocktroopers heading left and my army going right. Butcher and his jacks only have to deal with the swordsmen to secure the zone, whilst the Shocktroopers kind of have to deal with a few legion heavies.

My opponent puts Iron Flesh on the Swordsmen and marches them up the board towards the zone. I was too busy thinking about death to take a picture of the deployment. So I took one here instead.

His beasts and support march up the field, but he makes sure to keep his deathstalkers just out of walk and shoot range of my marksman.

I put Silence of Death onto the Shocktroopers and they get the order to shield wall up with desperate pace. I didn't want to risk Proteus getting to them out of shieldwall. I decide that maybe the shockies might need some help holding up my flank, so Kodiak3 joins them! Everything else moves towards the right zone. It takes 4 widowmakers to kill a swordsman on the hill, but hey first blood!

So we look like that, Ruin is held back and if any Swordsmen enter the zone, a Kodiak is in a position to steam them.

Fyanna decides to feat this turn, moving up so that everything will be in her bubble. Proteus gets Admonition and Zuriel gets a cloud on his head to the shocktroopers can't see Fyanna. The Swordsmen contest the zone and spread around a bit. The deathstalker tries to kill the marksman but he misses. This isn't a very interesting turn, I will admit.

Now it is time for a bit of payback. The shocktroopers go into the zone base to base and in shield wall. A few take a lucky shield cannon shot at Proteus, but he probably just tentacles them to death. However the Kodiaks do manage to vent onto a few swordsmen, and by a few I mean six. I trample over one and miss, so he dodges forward but he lets me steam 3 into death. Ruin charges one and boosts to kill him for his soul. Kodiak3 goes to plug the gap. Butcher crosses the wall and waits on the other side of the forest.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast