Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Welshhoppo View Post
    My opponent does have this crazy idea to assassinate Butcher this turn. If he can get the Seraph to flare him, Zuriel can be furied and he can walk up and hit him a few times. It is remote but he tries it out by moving the Seraph into a position to hit him with a flare. He needs a 9 to hit and rolls an 8, so he changes his plan and goes for the long game. Zuriel ends up whacking Kodiak2 several times, leaving him with no cortex. The Nyss Warlord charges Kodiak1 and goes for an amazing decapitation shot at dice -9, and rolls a 9 on four dice, so no damage for him. Fyanna walks up and manages to get a smite on Kodiak3, knocking him down and doing a bit of damage, the Neraph gets Fury and charges in, bringing him down to just his right arm and cortex. Proteus charges and kills a man o war, but due to the fact he is a little 'pillow tentacled' he can't kill any of the other ones.

I have no easy way to get to Fyanna, so it is time to show him how Khador plays attrition! Ruin turns a soul into a focus and I give him one more, I give Kodiak1 2 More. Kodiak2 has no cortex and Kodiak3 can stand up in his own time.

With Fury on the Neraph it means I get to hit him twice with my Kodiak's decent fist, dealing a massive amount of damage. The Shocktroopers get a charge order, 3 into Proteus and 2 into the Neraph, The Neraph dies and Proteus takes a pounding with Silence of Death negating his unyielding. The Kovnik, not to be outdone by his own men charges both Nyss, but misses with both attacks. Kodiak1 vents steam to try and kill the Warlord, but leaves him on 1. So he tramples him, and misses, but buys 2 attacks into Zuriel, doing quite a bit of damage at dice -1 (Because I forget that Legion heavies are armoured with wet paper.) I was going to try and use Kodiak2 to throw him out of the zone, but he kills him with the initials, bloody pillowfisted Kodiaks...... Ruin charges the Warlord and turns him into a soul. Butcher walks into the zone and kills the Seraph in 3 hits before feating, his dog kills a Nyss, sprinting out of the way to allow the war dog to kill the last one.

And that's how the game ends. I go to 2 points and my opponent decides to call it there, it was nearing the half way point of the night so we decided to rerack rather than watch him lose the next turn as he was unable to kill Butcher and had nothing left that could really contest the right zone, only the forsaken could make it and it would just die to Butcher.

So Victory Khador!
    Part Deux.
    Final Mark II record 45W/0D/37L
    Mark III record 39W/0D/6L
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent100 View Post
    You've just been Decimated!
    Watch me fail at warmachine here! - http://privateerpressforums.com/show...ador!-(Poorly)

Annihilator The Armchair Warrior's Avatar

Welshhoppo, nice batrep and thanks for adding the pictures. Love it. I so admired how you got Butcher beyond the wall but screened by the forest, while the wardog was within "DEF buff range" but behind the wall.

As I read the report, I couldn't help but think that if our new theme force is a halfway decent MOW theme force which includes free solos and some speed or AD buff, that it could be a "thing".

January 11, 2017
    Scenario: Incursion
    Opponent: Bryan Taylor
    Initiative: Bryan

Butcher3
    Ruin
    Marauder
    Rager
    Min Uhlans
    Min Uhlans
    Eliminators
    Eliminators
    Drakhun
    Ragman
    Kell
    Alexia2

High Reclaimer1
    Scourge of Heresy
    Reckoner
    Knights Exemplar
    Max Vengers
    Max Idrians + CA
    Rhoven and co.
    Min Cleansers + CA
    Min Choir

Ok so there's a lot of proxies in this report but I actually remembered pictures this time! My models are out being painted and Bryan just bought a bunch.

Here's the proxy legend:
    Winter guard infantry = Idrians
    Storm knights = Vengers
    Ternion + IF Kovniks = Rhoven & co.
    Risen = Choir
    Rockbottom = Cleanser CA
    Templar = Scourge of Heresy
    Greylord outrider = Uhlan leader

End of round 1. Butcher casts energizer and everything charges and runs up. I try to use uhlans to tie up idrians. Probably shouldn't have used the unit that was their prey.... Alexia move up, hits a def 17 idrian with a hellfire, removes it from play, and repo's back.

In response, the HoF'd idrians kill the 2 engaging uhlans and shoot the third, killing the unit and shifting prey to the drakhun to which he also shot and put 5pts on. The rest of his stuff run around as shown above.

Time to get work done. Butcher puts silence of death onto himself, charges up, engergizes into position and pulls almost all the idrians and removes them all from play. He also kills scourge but due to slightly bad positioning, the reckoner is a tiny bit out of range. I have to feat to kill scourge and I end up sitting on 3. Ruin gets a soul from a venger and chargers the reckoner, knocking everyting out except for his cortex and right arm, uh oh.... Alexia moves up to deny souls from the errants that my eliminators kill to score the flag. HR only gets 2 souls the entire turn.

Bryan needs to kill me or lose. Cleanser aim and blast butcher, bryans dice are on fire! They burn through 2 of my focus and put 4pts of damage on top of that. HR feats back Exemplars, puts them into position to walk into butcher, and puts HoF on them. HR walks into butcher (6.9” away!) and puts another 5 or so pts of damage on him. He gets 3 Exemplar onto butcher (drakhun counter charged and killed 2) but his dice arn't great and leave butcher on 7. But reckoner gets the job done and puts butcher into the dirt.

Butcher has game and tools into HR, but i definitely underestimate his assassination potential. Even if I had killed the reckoner, which with better positioning I think I could have, he still has a decent chance of killing Butcher. Silence of death is money in this match, as is being able to deny HR souls with good placement of Ruin and Alexia. Going first is probably good against HR as well. Matchup probably isn't favoured to much one way or another

Quote Originally Posted by The Armchair Warrior View Post
    Welshhoppo, nice batrep and thanks for adding the pictures. Love it. I so admired how you got Butcher beyond the wall but screened by the forest, while the wardog was within "DEF buff range" but behind the wall.

As I read the report, I couldn't help but think that if our new theme force is a halfway decent MOW theme force which includes free solos and some speed or AD buff, that it could be a "thing".
    It is the little things after all. I wanted to be in a position where the dog was basically immune to damage, so the wall was the perfect hiding spot. The Dog was what moved my opponent from trying the walk and smash with Zuriel, needing 8s to hit means boosting to hit, even with dice +2, I had three Focus to negate five damage. He'd had to boost to hit with both his initals and can buy and boost once more with Fury4, so I should have been okay unless he spiked really high.

I'll be well chuffed if the new theme force lets me run this list and gives me free things.
    Watch me fail at warmachine here! - http://privateerpressforums.com/show...ador!-(Poorly)

Butcher 3 w 2 Gun Carriages - unlimited shieldguards?

Not exactly unlimited. Gun carriages are still pretty fragile for a huge base, and usually they outpace battle mechs.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelTitan View Post

[Stuff]

A couple of things that went wrong:

* Although I lost the roll-off so didn't have the choice to go first, I did want to go second. This was probably a wrong assumption and should have gone full on into the zone.

* Maybe I shouldn't have aimed to go for the flag with Butcher. Maybe I should have gone full aggro and committed him to the zone instead. I haven't played this scenario often but it always seems particularly hard to score the zone, so I thought to score some 'easy points' early in the game by going for the flag first. Maybe this was a mistake.

* I wasn't aware of Rebuke and my Uhlans shouldn't have been within threat range of Stryker2, at least not before they got some favourable charges off. In all honesty though, it's not easy to stay out of Stryker2's threat range (16" + 6" of magic movement tricks).

* I also wonder if I should have prioritized killing Gibbs more (with Snipers or Behemoth). It would make his overload killing spree much more risky. However, it's not always easy to kill a solo in the backfield without over-committing which means less damage to the 'in your face' targets. Also, Piper offered him too many Pathfinder benefits. Maybe I should prioritize removing him too.

* Although it's hard to not get stuff killed by Stryker2 super saiyan mode, he shouldn't be allowed to ONLY use his regular charge to do so. That means he can still cast his movement spell after taking out a Jack and move away too far for retaliation. Ideally, Stryker has to charge 15-17" to reach his desired target, which means he has to burn 2-3 focus before melee with no option to retreat after he's done.
    Sorry to 'bump' my own batrep, but i'd love to hear from the more experienced players (i.e. not me), if these observations/conclusions are in any way correct. Any comments/feedback on especially the Stryker2 match-up would be much appreciated.

After the game we also found out that B3 himself (+unit) can be affected by Rebuke, which worries me. With Stryker's range, he could easily take out the Uhlans on an early turn and switch the spell to Butcher later in the game, taking out some of the key units in the list.

This alone tempts me to putting Orin back in the list, although I'll have to make sure to position the Bokur between him and Butcher to protect him from lightning arcs. That or Eiryss2 has to keep hitting Butcher but then Stryker can still just eat the d3 damage and prevent a critical charge.

I'd also be tempted to switch to full-jack, with our new theme, but that doesn't allow Orin either.
    MK3 Track Record: B3 (7/4), B1 (1/3), S1 (1/2), Kozlov (JML, 2/0)

Gaming Group Battle Reports: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheMightyDie

Well finnnnnnnnnne.

Rebuke is a nasty spell and if there is a chance you are going into Stryker2, you'll need something to get rid of it. Now it might be a case of using arcane vortex on Orin or Ruin, or letting Ruin slap a dog with his mace, but it might kill him in the process.

You need to knock out his arc nodes before they get up the field. Kayazy are very good at tying them up, but if your Cygnar player is worth his salt, he'll just electroleap his own node to fry the Kayazy in combat. Snipers can scoop out the node as Cygnar doesn't tend to run that many mechanics.

But yeah, kill Gibbs. It prevents Stryker from going nuts to kill something then getting a hot meal and being able to do it again. Whilst Stryke does have a very long threat range, he doesn't wipe things out along the way, he is a scalpel, a very strong one. But still a scalpel, plus his MAT is average and he will need to boost to even hit Butcher if you use a dog (or bring maddy) and with his casing Velocity as well, it means he doesn't get that many attacks when he actually gets at the other end.

Destroyer of Worlds

Well finnnnnnnnnne.

Rebuke is a nasty spell and if there is a chance you are going into Stryker2, you'll need something to get rid of it. Now it might be a case of using arcane vortex on Orin or Ruin, or letting Ruin slap a dog with his mace, but it might kill him in the process.

You need to knock out his arc nodes before they get up the field. Kayazy are very good at tying them up, but if your Cygnar player is worth his salt, he'll just electroleap his own node to fry the Kayazy in combat. Snipers can scoop out the node as Cygnar doesn't tend to run that many mechanics.

But yeah, kill Gibbs. It prevents Stryker from going nuts to kill something then getting a hot meal and being able to do it again. Whilst Stryke does have a very long threat range, he doesn't wipe things out along the way, he is a scalpel, a very strong one. But still a scalpel, plus his MAT is average and he will need to boost to even hit Butcher if you use a dog (or bring maddy) and with his casing Velocity as well, it means he doesn't get that many attacks when he actually gets at the other end.
    Maddy! You named the key. MADDY! There are games where you essentially remove his jacks and it is all over. She is ridiculously powerful if you keep our favorite working girl alive look to eliminate constructs.

January 13, 2017
    Opponent: Carolyn W
    Initiative: Carolyn

Butcher3
    Ruin
    Marauder
    Marauder
    Min rifles w/3 Rockets
    Min rifles w/3 Rockets
    Min rifles w/3 Rockets
    Min rifles w/3 Rockets
    Joe
    Mortar (Free)
    Mortar (Free)
    Field Gun (Free)
    THEME: Winter Guard Kommand

Fiona1
    Galleon
    Buccaneer
    Max Sea dogs w/3 rifles
    Max Press gangers
    Devils Shadow
    Rockbottom
    Killingsworth
    Grogspar
    Hawk

Carolyn was very inexperienced, and unfortunately I only brought the Butcher list to try out and I was the only one to play her, so she got the rocket spam. It was a very one-sided even tho I tried to help her out, gave her some jacks to kill so she had some fun, but I still tabled her. Instead of writing about the specific game, I figured I'd write my thoughts about the new theme and this list in particular.

So I've been trying to find a pair for my 7 jack Harkevich (which may also go in theme) and I think rocket spam might be the way to go (I had been working on a vlad1 list with 12 rockets before the theme dropped). Vlad1 is the obvious choice for the rocket spam, SnP every turn is of course amazing, and having the threat of the 12-14" threat jacks is also a powerful question to ask. I may very well end up with Vlad in the end.

So why Butcher3? It's true he does nothing for the rockets and Joe can only be in one place at a time. The plan is to use the combo-smite from the mauraders and the field gun to knock down hard targets for the rockets to unload on. The rifles use CRA's to take care of infantry or softer targets and the mortars lob shots of opportunity.

So again, why Butcher3? My theory is with Sac Pawn Butcher can pretty aggressive. He doesn't have to worry about Eiryss stripping his focus or being shot to death by lots of boostable guns. With the 4" move at the beginning and energizer for extra distance, I can use the marauders to be upfront, forcing the enemy to deal with them. The enemy will need to close with my army, else the rifle corp will slowly whittle them away. But they have to respect the 12-15" area of death around Butcher. The list also brings magical weapons which if I went with Vlad, both my lists would have almost none. So the list asks 3 questions. Can you deal with all the rifles and rockets? Can you deal with 3 Khador heavies that threaten 10"-13? And finally, can you deal with Butcher himself? Butcher also gives an answer to vyros2 in theme with imperatus and 10 griffons. With that many shield guards, Vyros can spread the damage around too much for vlad to deal with, and even with my marauders getting the alpha, I think they just get wrecked in response. And then theirs haley3 or any mass incorporeal, without Butcher, I can't deal with the incorp. Maybe I worry to much about the corner case tho.

Anyways, going second and maneuvering this many ranged models around is difficult. It will take a lot of practice to get proficient at it. In certain matchups, such as one with lots of AOE's, correct spacing will be key and knowing when to hold models back so that I don't lose them trivially the following turn, even if that means they don't get to shoot. The range threat is strong however. The list shot the galleon off the table from full (although it took nearly every gun in my army to do it), and having Butcher as an anchor seems like a great base for the list. However, trying to hit def 12+ is pretty sketchy with rockets if you don't knock the target down, this is where SnP really comes in (not to mention the damage). But I also worry that even with SnP, its going to be difficult to keep all the rockets in control, with butcher they are completely caster independent, which does have some flexibilty.

I'll have to continue to test, I'd like to get 15 games in with the rocket spam list (B3 or vlad) before the LVO. Enough of this rant, I'm tired. Goodnight.

Butch3rs feat helps protect him from Stryker2 when they are close as well. Drakhuns, with KD impact attacks counter charging are a serious deterrent.

Destroyer of Worlds

Played a new butcher 3 list today.

Butcher
    Argus
    Devestator
    Ruin
    Kodiaks x2
    Maddy

Orin
    Maddy
    Kell
    Widows
    Widowmaker Marksman
    Eliminators

I modified the list to reflect my new Hark list in teir. I figured that I needed a Cygnar and likely a retribution drop. this is the designated Legion/Skorne?/Trools Drop as well. The big change was LOSING the MOWs to gain the devestator and some sniper elements. I decided to do that because The devestator is actually significantly faster (10 inches with energize) in getting up the field and, ultimately if their job is to last the devestator can do that nearly as well at much fewer points allowing me some ability to snipe out stuff. May HATE stealth with this list but I will come to that road when I come to it.

today it was Trolls.

New Tier
    Ragnor
    Glacier King
    Mountain King
    Axer
    Shaman x2
    Runeshaper x2
    Stone (min)

Scenario was Incursion. I lost the roll

So this was going to be a GOOD test of Butcher's capacity to defeat in detail. The main issue to avoid was eating one of the gargs and then opening myself up to be charged by the other one. If I could avoid that I could do OK. So it was mission - "Throw away jacks".

Without going through each round (not sure I remember them) that is what I did. Butcher got the Glacier king "pinned" by a Kodiak he quickly ate. While the other Kodiak, Ruin and Devestator worked on trying to manage where the Mountain king would go. I am not sure the jacks did a single point of damage on the mountain king but they didnb;'t need to. All I wanted them to do was keep him tied up while Butcher killed Ice cube troll. Did that. By the time he had extractated himself I had gone up 3-0 and so even though he killed the last jack I was able to kill off a controlling shaman, score with Butcher and Run maddy (an unexpected strength of the Voltron list is the solos who are there who can score in for a 5-3 win for the good guys.

I like the sniper boat a lot (even though I totally brain farted on the Widomaker Marks and Kell both doing auto 3 points on each hit. But no big deal. Came back from that error.

So question - assuming this is the legion, Trolls and possibly Skorne drop. Would you add in Alton by, for example, LOSING the eliminators and dropping a kodiak down to a jugger? Seems between the Sniper corp I could have a good shot at shooting out Sprit columns? I guess a LOT of it depends on Skorne - as eliminators are scary good for what I want them to do in this list - get over to the othher object and be ridiculous irritating while Butcher 3 goes and starts scoring.
    Last edited by Sand20go; 01-14-2017 at 09:33 PM.

Thanks for the advice on Stryker2 guys. While i like my current list, i might have to consider dropping some models to include the more 'situational' ones (Orin, Maddy, Drakhun) to cover me in those kinds of matchups. However, based on your feedback, it doesnt seem that Stryker2 bs B3 is necessarily a bad matchup.

Looking at Sand20Go's list and batrep, maybe losing Behemoth but adding all the snipers (minus Ashley because nobody plays Hordes) might be something to try out.

Alten is best for hordes, but he removes the repair ability on hit for jacks. Also if you could ping Stryker2 with alten after he powers up, it will prevent a hot meal for at least a turn. I like Alten a lot, but unfortunately with his point increase he got dropped from a bunch of lists. (Which in hindsight is pretty stupid, since I play Trolls, Skorne, Circle, CoC all the time, CoC may not be beasts, but they repair like crazy.) I think I have talked myself into finding room for Alten again.

I think even if you are running ruin with B3 Orin is always a safe bet, he is so versatile. If you are playing a matchup with debuffs, and spell assassination power, he just follows butcher around. If you are playing into a matchup where that is not necessary, he is an excellent solo hunter, great for unjamming jacks, going stealth and contesting/holding flags, even e-leaping into casters with boosted arcs.

As for Maddy I see the potential value, but I have never felt so inclined to try her, or even buy her. Someone else may have to weigh in there. But in my experience my opponents have always tried to keep everything away from butcher, not throw things at him. And the things that can really put a hurt onto butcher like jacks and beasts are not effected by Parlay anyway.

I personally have never played B3 into Stryker2, but I would not hesitate to do so.

Destroyer of Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by Tenzilla View Post
    Alten is best for hordes, but he removes the repair ability on hit for jacks. Also if you could ping Stryker2 with alten after he powers up, it will prevent a hot meal for at least a turn. I like Alten a lot, but unfortunately with his point increase he got dropped from a bunch of lists. (Which in hindsight is pretty stupid, since I play Trolls, Skorne, Circle, CoC all the time, CoC may not be beasts, but they repair like crazy.) I think I have talked myself into finding room for Alten again.

I think even if you are running ruin with B3 Orin is always a safe bet, he is so versatile. If you are playing a matchup with debuffs, and spell assassination power, he just follows butcher around. If you are playing into a matchup where that is not necessary, he is an excellent solo hunter, great for unjamming jacks, going stealth and contesting/holding flags, even e-leaping into casters with boosted arcs.

As for Maddy I see the potential value, but I have never felt so inclined to try her, or even buy her. Someone else may have to weigh in there. But in my experience my opponents have always tried to keep everything away from butcher, not throw things at him. And the things that can really put a hurt onto butcher like jacks and beasts are not effected by Parlay anyway.

I personally have never played B3 into Stryker2, but I would not hesitate to do so.
    Ahh.....let me riff off your last sentance to explain the joys of Maddy, the tart who is trying to take Lola's place in Butcher's heart.

Lets say you have done your job and kep the band all together so you have Maddy, Orin and Butcher left and you have successfully played MK2 Butcher 3 game and done a bunch of jack trading. Butcher is "in the zone" (or on the flag) and getting ready to score. Your opponents chances rely on now killing butcher - who is in the threat range for his caster.

Opps. Warcasters/Warlocks are warrior models.
    Ooops. Orin can keep Maddy alive from spells
    ooooppps. Maddy can sucker shots at her (to remove her) into Butcher (or argus)
    Ooooppps. Orin is stealthy.

So in the aforementioned Stryker 2 match up our poor Stryker is in quite a pickle even if he is close enough to go all rambo and overload into Butcher. Untill he gets rid of Maddy that is not happening.

There are answers. He has to try to get something like an electroleaping range shot into Maddy. An AOE can hurt her as she is ultra squishy. But if your opponent doesn't have JUST the right pieces on the board you remove the other threat (than Warjacks) from Butcher 3 - their caster.

To get this combo in my mind I have a token that says "parlay/stealth" on it. Orin and Maddy in the early game almost always are near each other and I simply activate them back to back - just saying parlay and stealth to get me in the habit. At the end game - where the combo is devestating - on it goes.

B3, as the tread says, is our scenario/control caster. Not classic control aka time walk but control in that he makes it very difficult for your opponent to move into his threat range and he is fully capable with impending doom and flashing blade of removing contesting models like a total champ.

Well the issue now is to theme or not to theme.

I like that there are pros and cons to both. Which is pretty awesome!
    Last edited by Zelbinnean; 01-15-2017 at 03:15 PM.

Well I am thinking of trying this out.

War Room Army

Khador - Butcher3

Theme: Winter Guard Kommand
    75 / 75 Army

Kommander Zoktavir, the Butcher Unleashed - WJ: +22
    - War Argus
    - War Dog - PC: 3
    - Juggernaut - PC: 12 (Battlegroup Points Used: 12)
    - Juggernaut - PC: 12 (Battlegroup Points Used: 10)
    - Kodiak - PC: 13
    - Ruin - PC: 17

Kovnik Jozef Grigorovich - PC: 4

Winter Guard Infantry - Leader & 9 Grunts: 10

THEME: Winter Guard Kommand
    ---

GENERATED : 01/15/2017 23:22:26
    BUILD ID : 2034.17-01-07

If I go first, I can bum shuffle my Kodiaks 25 inches up the board. I probably wouldn't do that, but it could be fun!

Destroyer of Worlds

For B3 I say not theme. You are giving up ALOT into Cygnar unless you are trying to cover off list. Orin helps so much into the Haley2 match up because he suhts down TK and Domination ****. Rags is really useful against Arcane Shield. Yes. You DO have Ruin who can mace it off but sometimes they focus a lot of firepower on Ruin to stop that. B3 can still kill an AS Centurian but you may have to hit it so many times you blow through a ton of your focus and are exposed for assissination. Plus, I am not sure you NEED 3+ sac pawns for butcher. Bringing one Shield Guard for bad bad things seems probably OK.

January 18, 2017
    Opponent: Vann K
    Initiative: Vann

Butcher3
    Wardog
    Ruin
    Marauder
    Min Uhlans
    Min Uhlans
    Eliminators
    Eliminators
    Drakhun
    Drakhun
    Orin
    Kell
    Bokur (c:Butcher)

Vlad2
    Sylys
    Kodiak
    Grolar
    IFP + UA
    Eliminators
    Eliminators
    Greylord Ternions
    Drakhun
    Manhunter
    Manhunter
    Yuri
    IF Kovnik
    IF Kovnik

Vann was trying this list out for the first time, it was designed as a wormwood drop with tons strong feat targets. A couple proxies (Ruin = Grolar. Valachev, Greylord Escort & Harlan = Ternions. Great Bear = IF Kovnik). I'm missing quite a few pictures but will try to make due.

Bottom of 1, end of my first turn. We both move up as shown. Kell is able to aim and put 6pts onto the drakhun.

(MISSING PICTURE)

Vann's drakhun charges my yellow eliminators, killing 1 and missing the impact attack on the other, (I forget to counter charge). His eliminators move up, I counter charge one and kill it. His front manhunter charges my centre uhlans, but terrible dice leaves the uhlan alive. He moves his grolar (ruin) out of LOS of my left uhlans but in side of my central uhlans, hoping the manhunter will tie them up. His IFP mini feat and run up.

My eliminators clear out the jamming manhunter. My central uhlans (with SoD) charge his grolar and leave it on about 8 boxes. Kell and Ruin kill the 5 contesting IFP. Bokur and Drakhun kill his drakhun and orin leaps a chain lightening off my drakhun to kill his other eiminator. Butcher runs up as do everything else as shown. I score 3.

(MISSING PICTURE)

Vann Feats, throws my marauder, kills both dogs, puts a lot of damage on Ruin and kills some uhlans. But he doesn't contest enough and between my left drakhun, 2 uhlans and butcher himself I'm able to clear both flanking flags without much difficulty.

Final game state (besides the IFK that butcher killed).

Not much to say about this game. Vlad2 is very versatile with tons of threats due to his feat and arcane might. Vann had never played Vlad2 so he wasn't very proficient with the list, but in time it will come. I am still liking the butcher list. In Mk3 threat ranges are extremely important with premeasuring, and with a ton of 12-13" charges in the list, the list threatens pretty well.

Used the same list I used last time, I'm quite enjoying it actually. Read more here!

So I was going to attend a Steamroller tomorrow, but due to work commitments I am unable to go, so I gave one of the members of my club a game so he can get some practice in. He is going to Smogcon to play in the Master's later this year, so he is running the ADR.

Which means I get to face off against MACBAIN!

I brought.

Butcher3
    -War Argus
    -War Dog
    -Kodiak
    -Kodiak
    -Kodiak
    -Ruin

Man o War Kovnik
    Widowmaker Marksman

Man o War Shocktroopers
    -Shocktrooper Officer
    Widowmaker Scouts

Against

MacBain
    -Sylys Wyshnalyrr
    -Galleon

Bloody Bradigan
    Bosun Grogspar
    First Mate Hawk
    Gorman Di Wulfe
    Major Harrison Gibbs
    Ragman
    Raluk Moorclaw
    Rhupert Carvolo

Kayazy Assassins
    -Underboss
    Press Gangers

That is a lot of crazy stuff. I won the roll off and choose the sides, my opponent went first. But the deployment looks a lot like this.

I really need to invest in a better camera, I'll consider it after I stop buying more models.

Anyway! My opponent puts Failsafe on the Galleon and Countermeasure onto the Press Gangers, they run into his zone everything else just moves on up. All his solos hide around in the back. Except for Bosun who is sitting in the front.

I move up and make a few boo boos. But my Marksman advances and hits the Bosun in his head with the Vanar Liberator, blowing it clean off and killing him. One of the other widowmakers kills the lass, but the other 3 fail to hit the unit. Silence of Death goes onto the Shocktroopers, and everything moves up. I put the unpainted Kodiak slightly too far forward for its own good.

Raggie puts Death Field up and gets the Galleon death shrouded. He gets six shots with his little guns and does a few boxes to my jacks, his harpoon sucks in the Kodiak and he beats it to one box. A charging Kayazy does the final box and removes him from the board. His traitorous brethren jam up the field. The Press Gangers kill the widowmakers and turn them into pirates. MacBain feats, making six of his warriors quite a bit tougher.

It takes the majority of my turn and efforts, but the two Kodiaks kill a fair few Press Gangers and the Man o War kill several more, I probably shouldn't have let Silence of Death drop, so a few tough and remain to cause me issues. Ruin can kill another two of them. But it does allow Butcher to dominate his own zone, letting me go to 1 point.

MacBain does his Failsafe upkeep and gives one to the Galleon. Gorman throws a Rust bomb, clipping both of my jacks. Ragman Death Fields, and the Galleon moves up into melee range with two jacks. He gets another six shots off and manages to kill 3 man o war. But in doing so he no longer has a harpoon target, but MacBain Jackhammers him, and at dice +6, he wrecks Ruin and nearly cripples the Kodiak. It takes the Charging Kayazy and First Mate Hawk to finish the beast. The Underboss runs to contest my zone, and the remaining Gangers and Bradigan charge my Man o War Officer, killing him. Quite a brutal turn. He also puts MacBain in his zone, making it 1 all.

The Kodiak gets none from his master. He vents steam to tough the Underboss, and he has to trample him to finish the job. Butcher charges the Galleon and puts up Silence of Death. Due to several poor rolls, it takes all but 1 of my Focus to bring the warjack down, but my feat is live. But I manage it. The Argus Try and kill the Kayazy, but they miss. The war dog goes near Butcher to keep him company. The Marksman snipes the Press Ganger still engaging the Man o War, the Kovnik gives them desperate pace and they run to contest his zone.

The end of my turn looks like this.

My opponent only has five minutes left on his clock, but he moves up Rags to try and death field, but he is too far away to get Butcher. The Piper finally stops giving the Kayazy tough and instead gives them pathfinder. Raluk kills one of the dogs, and the Kayazy move over to Butcher and kill his wardog and do a point on the big man. MacBain charges the Kodiak and then Energisers to get into Butcher, with flank he only needs 6's to hit him. But he goes through 5 attacks and only hits once. Hawk walks in, misses her first swing and connects with the second, but still only does about 2 boxes. My opponent ends his turn with MacBain next to Orsus and camping none. I don't have to write the next bit, you know how it ends.

Khador Victory!

Destroyer of Worlds

Don't have time (but I may edit) my games today.

I have evolved my Butcher 3 list and Really happy that I have

Butcher
    Ruin
    Kodiak x2
    Devestator
    Maddy

Orin
    Rags
    Bokur (client Butcher)

Widowmaker Scouts
    Widowmaker Marksman
    Eliminators
    Kell

What this list provides is additional "dudes be gone" options with most of the jacks and the sniper+elimnator group. Devestator in both games was a champ in contesting - his only job. Kodiaks Cloud wall is very strong. But what makes this list - really makes it powerful - is the voltron-like support of Maddy+Orin+Bokur. On feat turn it is near impossible for Butcher to get killed - and that allows him to get such a good pace up in scenario play. Today I used the support crew to essentially deny by opponent any good options at the end of both games and he conceeded both. If you haven't run him with Maddy I STRONGLY recommend. She is fantastic (and of course sucker provides wonderful options when it comes to triggering vengeance - so no one WANTS to do THAT.

I usually camp a dog near rag man to sac pawn onto for vengence as well. This is almost my exact list. I haven't used Maddy but everyone seems to be, maybe I should give her a second look.

San gives so much credit to Maddy maybe I'll start bringing her out too. The issue is my main opponent runs beast heavy legion, so she doesn't do jack in that list.

Sac pawning rags onto a dog is a good idea, as is getting a sucker off on maddy to a dog too.

San gives so much credit to Maddy maybe I'll start bringing her out too. The issue is my main opponent runs beast heavy legion, so she doesn't do jack in that list.

Sac pawning rags onto a dog is a good idea, as is getting a sucker off on maddy to a dog too.
    It also allows you to play ragman forward a bit more, making him much easier to use. Just be sure youre not blocking charge lanes.

Destroyer of Worlds

Not entirely true. Reread parlay. A VERY common trick against Butcher3 is to play a jack trade something like....You bait with Jacks, he kills jacks, Butcher kills those jacks, caster kills butcher. That is why in MK2 the sit on 6 focus trick was pretty common with ARM 24 and 20 boxes being a "thing".

Maddy shuts down that trading hards because while within her command range WARRIOR models (yup, that includes casters) can not attack her or the caster she works for. Huge. I have blown nearly all of butcher's post feat stack because LIVING models can't charge me (usually meaning they can't get to me) and casters within 7 of Maddy can't attack me EITHER.

Are their tricks to get around? Sure. But by this time, if I have been playing well, a ton of beasts are "off the table". Thus in last game Butcher HAD some risks....except Bronzeback had been eaten and thus no pathfinder to be given out. IN the next game not Hexy downtown hail mary because Parlay. And with SUCKER you can't really shoot her squishy *** off the table - she just suckers to dogs...and then to rags...and then finally to butcher.

And finally I LOVE the voltron list because you don't really want to try to take out the support at RANGE....because Vengeance.

I played a TON in MK2 into "the unbeatable cygnar list (tm)". I finally in this list feel like I have something that comes close to approaching it in power and in the difficulty of unpacking the onion. Not impossible but you have to have a concerted plan, use terrain really really well to avoid impending doom and then have me make the inevitable mistake if you don't have the hard anti-magic counters...which even then are not THAT hard to deal with. And I play it like the unbeatable cyngar list - scenario being the first win condition with Butcher getting into the zone with his ridiculously huge circle of death. Just like Stormwall you don't want to go into it....and so you are forced to make awful trades. And the sniper corp and eliminators are sorta a poor mans version of lighting pods - removing key things at range. I do miss not having more anti-stealth tech....but in some ways that is what the eliminators do....or Orin with boosted leaped lightenings.
    Last edited by Sand20go; 01-22-2017 at 08:44 AM.

My opponent plays a lot of Vayl, the day Vayl is an credible threat to Butcher in melee is the day I eat my Butcher model.

But saying that, I once saw Vayl kill Haley by throwing snowballs at her........

January 29, 2017
    Scenario: Recon
    Opponent: Greg S
    Initiative: Greg

Butcher3
    Wardog
    Ruin
    Marauder
    Min Uhlans
    Min Uhlans
    Eliminators
    Eliminators
    Drakhun
    Drakhun
    Orin
    Kell
    Bokur (c:Butcher)

Haley2
    Stormclad
    Stormclad
    Thorn
    Squire (Free)
    Max Lances
    Min Lances
    Laddermore
    Junior (Free)
    Firefly
    Min Field Mechanics
    THEME: STORM DIVISION

This was the final table of a local 11 man steamroller. Greg and I are both prepping for the LVO and we have relatively even record against each other so we knew it was going to be a tight game. Greg felt his Haley3 didn't quite have enough arm cracking to deal with Harkevich as he is my normal Cygnar drop. However entrenched is a scenario that Butcher loves, and with Orin and Ruin in the list he has some solid tools in the Haleys. Giddyup.

End of Round 1. Haley TK's 4 models and everything runs up. I run up everything as well, trying to keep my forces spread out so Haley can't feat on everything. While trying to keep Butcher out of feat range and still threatening the zone, I make a stupid mistake and place Ruin outta control. Kell aims and kills a stormlance. Not sure why Greg put them so close.

Thorn moves up, dominates the marauder forward which gets killed by Laddermore and a stormclad. His max lance unit shifts over to cover his zone, knowing Butcher can easily clear and dominate, he doesn't want to put anything with 12" of Butcher in fear of losing too much. He kills my jamming Uhlan, and the one behind the forest gets killed by eleaps. Haley doesn't feat.

Ruin was out of control. Stupid stupid mistake. Kell aims and shoots the stormclad for 6pts. Only need to do 5pts of damage to column 4 or 5 to take out the cortex now. I move Butcher into the zone and position with entourage around him. The drakhun covers most of the zone while staying outside of charge threat range of the lance that can see him. I send Ruin into the damaged stormclad, but dont hit the right column. If only I could have allocated to him. My Uhlans charge his objective, bad dice require 3 of them to kill it, I jam with them and position the drakhun in the corner of the zone. 2-0.

(Missing Picture)

He clears out all my uhlans, puts 7 pts on my left drahun, and TK's him outt the zone. Haley feats and moves far forward and barely clips the eliminator that I had positioned to run into the zone to contest. Nothing on my right side is under feat. He boxes out the zone so after my drakhun kills a lance he can't repo in. Ruin dies but it takes a stormclad, 2 lances and a firefly charge to bring him down. Go Ruin. Everything is just outside of butchers 12" threat. He runs the mechanic officer in to contest just outside of counter charge range. 2-1.

Kell aims and kills a lance. With the mechanic in the zone, Butcher has his charge target. He charges the mechanic pulls in the firefly and stormclad, killing them both. He feats and energizes behind the wall. Left flank doesn't do too much and unfortunately I can't contest. 3-2.

(Missing Picture)

Greg mops up the left side but has difficulty contesting. He runs arcane shields laddermore and runs her into the zone. She takes a free strike from an argus and a countercharge from my wardog, but she contests. 3-3.
    Last edited by Druzhina_Dropout; 01-30-2017 at 01:29 PM.

Drakhun charges a lances, hills him and repo's into mechanics and Jr. Bokur dismounts laddermore, bucher flashing blades her then backs up into the rubble. I position my guys as so. 4-3

(Missing Picture)

To contest Greg runs Thorn to TK a dog, then TK the stormclad so the stormclad can run into my zone. With a TK and a charge from haley, the lances and Jr are able to kill my Drakhun. Greg clocks to me with 1 second left on his clock. 4-4.

All I have to do is kill the stormclad and clock over to him since we would both score to 5 and then he would time out. Butcher easily kills the stormclad, and my dog is able to run to contest just for good measure. 5-4.

Oh man this was a great game! Couple mistakes on both sides, but when is there not? Butcher is really strong in entrenched and going second (even against H2) probably won me the game, not that it was my choice tho. The terrain also helped as he didn't have access to pathfinder, which is a problem with the Storm Division. Although it does allow more beef in the list.

The double drakhun is great in this list. The double Uhlans.....I'm not sure about, I've thought about dropping a unit for a Juggernaut, but being able to act outside of 12" from butcher is really good, especially in scenario's like this one or recon. Anyways, I'm not gonna make any changes this close to the LVO.

I find eliminators and devastators are great for acting out of Butchers control range.

Have you tried with a max unit of ulhan instead of the min unit? And if so what is the choice behind the two min unit. I'm guessing less vulnerable to debuff, this also makes silence of death on the ulhans less of an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Auracco View Post
    Have you tried with a max unit of ulhan instead of the min unit? And if so what is the choice behind the two min unit. I'm guessing less vulnerable to debuff, this also makes silence of death on the ulhans less of an option.
    I've tried the max unit it definitely has advantages. Particularly a better use of SoD. But I've found you rarely send more than 3 ulhans in at once and I really like the flexibility of the 2 units. On scenarios where butcher like to go up the middle, I can flank with a unit on each side and it's overall just easier use them as 2 units. It's also one more ulhan, which is good. Tho dropping to a max unit would get me pts for ragman or a wmm, night be worth further exploring in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Druzhina_Dropout View Post
    I've tried the max unit it definitely has advantages. Particularly a better use of SoD. But I've found you rarely send more than 3 ulhans in at once and I really like the flexibility of the 2 units. On scenarios where butcher like to go up the middle, I can flank with a unit on each side and it's overall just easier use them as 2 units. It's also one more ulhan, which is good. Tho dropping to a max unit would get me pts for ragman or a wmm, night be worth further exploring in the future.
    Or upgrade maurader to a devestator....

Destroyer of Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by Tenzilla View Post
    I find eliminators and devastators are great for acting out of Butchers control range.
    +Many. that was the secret sauce that pumped my butcher list to an 11. Much harder to kill than the Uhlans and cheaper. When you want to contest nothing says "hell yes" than an ARM 23 Clam

Well what is great with this combo as my opponent pointed out last night, if you want to clear the zone, you have to send something that can deal with stealth/def17 and ARM23.

Destroyer of Worlds

The Zoltron list got a win against a bad match up.

Butcher 3
    Ruin
    Kodiak x2
    Devestator
    Maddy C.

Ragman
    Bokur (client is Butcher)
    Widowmakers
    Widowmaker Marksman
    Kell b,

Into

Kaelyssa
    Sylss
    Banshee
    Disco
    Hydra x2
    Arcanists Mecahnics x2
    Sentinals -UA+ Souless dude
    E1

Entrenched.

So this is try to keep butcher alive from shooting army.

No pictures so no full recap. Key things.....

A) Use the Kodiaks smartly. He is going to fire into them and it will hurt. No mechanics (I wonder if that is a mistake in this list). I just didn't get the work done with them like I should. Third game of the evening so I was tired.
    B) My sniper corp LOVED seeing those sentinals. Even with a hill and blur some aimed shots helped the cause.
    C) Zapping E1 with a Boosted leap from Orin was a thing of beauty. He died next turn but oh well. 5 points for a very annoying 7.
    D) In such a game it is far better to get Butcher over to the FAR corner of the zone. Why make it easy for K? That said, he was able to eat both Hydras which was fun.
    E) LOVED the sniper corp finishing off the sentinals and then working on the Banshees movement. No charge for YOU!!!

Butcher ultimately won on scenario 5-0. Hit and miss. He was down to 3-4 points after taking a massive hydra roll for damage early on.

Was glad to win. The Banshee is a real problem for Butcher and I had to think smartly about his 5 inch no magic bubble. Disco's no spell spray also would have been a real problem if the game had gone longer. But ultimately Butcher did what he is supposed to do in this list - go eat jacks while the Devestator and the eliminators deny scoring in the other zone. As pper the KGB - the ultimate scenario bully.

I got another two games in with B3 yesterday, both of them versus Nemo3. The first game was recorded and you can find the batrep here. The second we didn't record which is probably for the best, because it was kind of a mess. I highlighted some questions in blue for those who don't want to read everything but would still like to contribute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMKJrLcOSME

I lost my first game and won the second, although only because my opponent made an activation error which took away his chances of killing my caster. Still, mistakes happen all the time and a win is a win Later in the game, he death-clocked himself, we continued playing and I won because I would have been able to charge his caster with Ruin.

Playing two games back to back, on the same scenario with the same list, is definitely good to learn things faster. With more variables changing, with games weeks apart, it's hard to improve my game.

* Fuel Cache might not be the best choice. It didn't impact the game at all. It's not hard for the fast Storm Lances to draw LOS anyway while the cloud does prevent me from drawing charge lines. If anybody has better experiences with other objective, let me know. I'm currently leaning towards Bunker (I think it's called)...the one with one die less against shooting. It reduces the chances to scoring that point from range and would force people coming closer to my objective and thus Butcher.

* The impact of Behemoth on games is too small. He can't lead the charge because he would be trivially removed by the lists i face, his shooting doesn't do much against all the jacks and ARM-buffed Lances and the few melee combats he is in later game doesn't warrant his 25 points' price tag. Although I don't want to copy netlists all the time, I just see two Kodiaks being so much more useful. Sure, the two Kodiaks can be taken out, but it would allow me to position the rest of the army much better.

* With most of the dangerous guns having a 15"+ threat range (Dynamo, Storm Lances/Firefly/Laddermore, Thunderhead), it's very hard to move up Butcher enough to impact the game. Kodiaks might help as would camping more focus (3 is probably a good number). How much focus do you typically leave on your caster when facing such opposition?

* Before the games and after the first game, I felt I was wasting too many points on all the defensive tech (bokur, madlyn, orin). However, once I started using them properly, especially Orin, they were gold. The Lancer's node allows for 16" pushes, knowing things down left and right, potentially negating Butcher's high DEF, and draining my focus resources. Having Orin say 'no' to that by hiding behind (in the last game), the Bokur, Argus, Behemoth and Butcher) really took away his options. Also, Maddy prevented flank charges to both Butcher and herself from Storm Lances (I guess being flanked is a problem from Jack heavy armies).. If you play it tight and prevent LOS, the Bokus can protect the Butcher, Maddy and Orin which his 3" bubble, shield guarding that one shot you fear most. If you play jack heavy, would you still deploy and move around in a more spread out fashion to cover more board space and prevent such or similar flanking moves or do you prefer to keep things tighter so models can support each other better (for piece trading, etc.)?

Destroyer of Worlds

Will try to watch you battle report but into Nemo do NOT underestimate the joys of the Kodiak cloud wall. You want to star with an energize and then Butcher moves up 5 (he can charge top of 1). Kodiaks can Run 10 top of 1 or Trample and vent steam bottom of 2.. You can put a nice cloud wall in front of Butcher. So now you can play Butcher3 MUCH more aggressively into a ton of Cygnar lists because many of their casters don't have a way to see through clouds. A few do (Caine3) but most don't

Understand Leaps rules (leaps to the NEAREST model - so a B2b thing is always nearer than a model SLGIHTLY off base. You can really use this to your advantage to keep her alive from the storm lance shots and also potentially trigger vengances.

In the match up you have I think we probably bait/sacrifice a couple of things OTHER than the Kodiaks. (Ruin and a Devestator?) We are hoping that our opponent sends the Lances into them so that we can retaliate with Buthcher and then Cloud wall up again. If the Jacks then fully the Kodiaks (hard to do - remember - you can vent steam with a single point left) then you eat the jacks and use maddy and the bokur and the Argus to present Nemo and the remaining stufff with a tough pickle.

Now some things to keep in mind. Magnetic Field will deny the push and pulls. So you have to think about impending doom and how you want to use it and energize and 2 inch reach to move around the battle field as you eat things with butcher. Force hammer is a critical spell to use Orin to shut down. You do NOT want things to slam into Butcher and provide the Lances LOS under feat. Basically dead butcher. Again, see Kodiak cloud wall.

Also eventually get read to see a better build than what your opponent presented. Lances are great but even better with Nemo AND Finch is a bigger battlegroup list. I have played games where I have seen 16+ focus out on the battle field, as Finch gives out extra candy, the JMW is running around with focus and the Stormclad is getting a focus from being near a stormknight unit.

Got in another battle with Butcher tonight.

Back with two new reports for you tonight. Two fights against Legion of Everblight. These lists are potentially going to be the ones that make it along to the Welsh Masters in May, at least the casters will make it.

First report is.

Butcher3
    -War Argus
    -Madelyn
    -Kodiak
    -Kodiak
    -Ruin
    -Devestator

Kayazy Eliminators
    Widowmakers

Ragman
    Ogrun Bokur
    Kell Bailoch
    Widowmaker Marskman
    Orin Midwinter

vs

Rhyas
    Blight Bringer
    Naga Nightlurker
    Succubus

Raptors
    Swordsmen
    Hellmouth
    Hellmouth

Nyss Warlord
    Nyss Shepard

I lose the roll off and my opponent goes first, giving me the choice of sides, so I choose the one without the massive piece of rubble in it.

He runs everything up the board, Occultation goes on the Raptors and Rapport goes on the Blightbringer. Otherwise nothing interesting happens.

Kell and the Marksman get three whole shots into the Hellmouth, killing it. Butcher puts up Energiser and moves up the board. My Clam runs into the zone, the Kodiak follows it. My Kayazy go the long way around the house. And the widowmakers kill all the tentacles.

The Raptors and the Deathstalker take out 3 of the widomakers and hover around the edge of the zone. But he only puts two swordsmen into the zone on the right because of the Kodiak keeping watch. The Blightbringer hits the Red Kodiak with a Blight Blast and puts up the Withering. He also hurts one of Butcher's dogs, granting him vengeance.

The marksman advances and kills the furthest swordsman, Kell aims and kills the other. I control the zone for 1 point. My Kodiak runs to engage the Blightbringer and Ruin kills a Deathstalker. The Kayazy run to engage three of his raptors. Butcher advances to be just outside the zone, the dogs are ahead. Madelyn parleys and Orin goes invisible.

Rhyas goes up and feats. All of the Swordsmen charge, but they bounce off the Devastator, but do some damage to the Kodiak and kill the Marksman. A tentacle sucks in Ruin towards the Blightbringer, and he nearly kills both of them with his attacks. A charging Raptor finished off Ruin, and one also manages to kill a kayazy. The Red Kodiak is basically crippled.

The Kodiak near the swordsmen vents. Killing both of them, the Devastator lines up a Rain of Death and kills three more. Leaving just the one alive behind him. Ragman moves out of the way, letting Butcher charge up and get both Raptors, I use the Dogs first and they are both successful, letting one of them sprint into another Raptor, the other blocks the way to the Blight Bringer. Everything comes to keep Butcher company, but I go to three points. Madelyn parlies again.

Due to my opponent not being used to playing with a FURY5 Warlock, he overheats the Blightbringer and it frenzies killing the Kodiak. The Nyss warlord charges the Devastator, but doesn't do that much damage with his decap. The second Nyss does nothing, but Rhyas hereself takes the last 20 boxes off the Kodiak with her charge attack. The Hellmouth bites a dog, but it hits the other dog and doesn't get closer to the Hellmouth. One Raptor takes a shot at Butcher, but he ends up hitting the Shield Guard. They reposition on the edge of the zone.

Butcher gets a vengeance move and kills one Raptor, he charges and kills the second one before pulling in the third and then moving back into the zone. Giving me 2 more points and a Khador victory via scenario!

Destroyer of Worlds

Welsh - I see you using the Voltron list. Fun, isn't it ;-)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast