Default A Gathering of Unused Subterran Uprising Abilities, and Some Homebrew Uses For Them

Me being bit by this bug again has led me down some strange paths, and has had me return to an old one. Back in the day, one of the downloads for Monsterpocalypse was a fairly large summary document for Monpoc Now and its factions. Of course, there were the rules simplified, but the meat of the document was the abilities. Each faction had a two-page spread that listed all the abilities that it would get. Now, I'm not sure if that's still around, but I have a physical copy of it printed out, and have had it for years. Thus, I spent the time today to go through and mark which abilities were already on Subterran Uprising figures. Here's what I learned:

There are 19 unused abilities in the Subterran Uprising Ability Index. They are:
    • Nesting (action)
    • Relocation (action)
    • Summon (action)
    • Teleport (action)
    • Chain Reaction (blast)
    • Crunch (blast)
    • Feeding Frenzy (power)
    • Amplify (skill)
    • Charge (skill)
    • Cloak (skill)
    • Decoy (skill)
    • Fortify (skill)
    • Gang (skill)
    • Indirect Fire (skill)
    • Infiltrate (skill)
    • Logistics (skill)
    • Power Tap (skill)
    • Steady (skill)
    • Weaken (skill)

I did not find these abilities anywhere in the currently produced figure selection. However, I found a few abilities that were not listed in the Subterran Uprising Ability Index. These odd powers out were:
    • Fortified (Drillcon)
    • Limited (Ral Kurrik)
    • Power Drain (blast) (Mollok Mortar)
    • Fragile (Glass Promos)

Even Leadership is recorded in the Index, which makes these abilities stand out oddly. There's a story behind them, I'm sure.

I am interested in seeing what the other Now factions missed out on, and if this is well-received, I will continue. However, there is a second part to this, one that is far more fandom-y.
    Monsterpocalypse Will Rise Again

Default The Homebrew Uses for Unused Subterran Uprising Abilities

These figures are a potential 'what-if', as inspired by the unused abilities as mentioned above. I quickly statted them out, using what knowledge I knew of the SU's direction to guide me. They are not final, but they are a start. We can, if we so chose, playtest them into oblivion and see how powerful they are.

Mollok Cannon / SU Combat Unit

Speed: 4
    Defense: 3
    Brawl: 1*0 / 1*1
    Blast: 2*1s / 2*2s
    Cost: 1 / 2
    Abilities: Chain Reaction (blast), Indirect Fire, Burrow, Leadership (Elite)
    This unit was based on the preview image of that cute little mole unit with the gun. The Mortars and Grinder Tanks are better brawlers, but this chapís gun is up there with them. I decided to add in Chain Reaction (Blast) because I thought itíd fit in thematically. It can be removed for balance reasons.

Seismic Machine / SU Support Unit
    Speed: 4
    Defense: 4
    Brawl: 1*0
    Blast: Nope
    Cost: 2
    Abilities: Nesting, Burrow, Power Tap
    Really, this one came about by the oddity that is Nesting. I honestly didnít expect to see it on the list of abilities. That inspired some kind of machine that pounds the ground, either summoning in units from deep under the Earth, or disrupting the channels of power the enemy have. Itís tough but slow, and could be even slower safely because of in-faction Tow. I gave it a high cost because, honestly, it looks to be a useful unit. But everything could fluctuate.

Drill Fortress / SU Installation
    Defense: 6
    Blast: 2*1s
    Energy: 4
    Abilities: Relocation, Teleport, Cloak (red), Weaken
    Relocation was a big tip-off on the SU Installation - It had to have the ability, as it was the only one that could use it. The rest is more pondering. Teleport on a building is like the GUARD Installation, and because of the connection with blocking out the Sun in the faction bio, I decided to give it red cloak to add to general survivability. At the same time, I gave it weaken for further advantage. Drill Fortresses are high-profile targets now, but also highly useful. Unfortunately, I couldnít justify adding in Spire or Chemical Spill because they werenít on the SU ability sheet. If they were, Iíd twink this structure to have those without it being as broken.

Combinok-Zurkaas / SU Morpher Monster
    Alpha
    Rig-Ubbo (1 /4)
    Speed: 6
    Defense: 5
    Brawl: 3*1
    Blast: 2*1S
    Health: 5
    Abilities: Crunch (Brawl), Burrow, Charge, Gang
    Leb-Ubbo (2 /4)
    Brawl: 2*1
    Blast: 3*1s
    Abilities: Summon, Amplify, Burrow, Fortify
    Rig-Loruz (3 /4)
    Blast: 2*1s
    Abilities: Burrow, Decoy, Logistics, Infiltrate
    Leb-Loruz (4 /4)
    Blast: 3*1L
    Abilities: Crunch (blast), Explosion (blast), Burrow
    Alpha forms for Morphers are tough, because they get a hell of a lot of abilities. Itís normally 16 potential abilities, but itís really Ďonlyí 12, once movement abilities are handed out. This means you can have devastating power potential in a Morpherís alpha state. In order to make it simpler, I gave each part a Ďroleí to play. Rig-Ubbo is a brawler, liking to move and attack with his buddies. Leb-Ubbo is a stay-at-home camper fellow, staying on a button space and increasing the power of his allies. Rig-Loruz is a tech guy, hard to hit and making things easier to hit. Finally, Leb-Loruz is a blast expert. I couldnít actually give Leb-Loruz the full set of abilities, or the set would be too powerful. As it stands, this set can roll a truly monstrous amount of B-dice when in formation, and can deal 4 damage a turn if lucky! Of course, they are fragile for a monster, being easy to hit and having plenty of targets.
    Combinok-Zurkaas / SU Metamoprh (Ultra / Mega)
    Speed: 6 / 5
    Defense: 7 / 7
    Brawl: 6*4 / 7*2
    Blast: 7*2L / 8*2L
    Power: 7*3 / 8*4
    Health: 5 / 6
    Hyper: 4 / 4
    Abilities:
    Ultra: Energy Cycle, Follow Through (Brawl), Crunch (Blast), Burrow, Steady
    Mega: Nesting, Feeding Frenzy (Power), Following Fire (Power), Burrow, Steady
    Metamorphs, the hyper forms of Morpher monsters, tend to be a bit scatterbrained in their construction, but have a solid direction. They almost all have good offensive abilities, and when they donít, theyíve got good defensive abilities instead. I used the two abilities I hadnít used until this point to guide my construction of this monster. Ultra Combinok is a bit dice-hungry, but is immune to body slams, for what itís worth. Mega Combinok is the form Iím more confident in. He feels more in-line with some of the other monsters, yet can bring out a unit if he fills out a requirement and he gets a benefit from them!

We thank you for your time and appreciate your thoughts.

Default More Accuratly, a Thread About Unused Abilities and Potential Uses

I return once again, this time with a list of abilities listed in the Faction References that were not used by their Faction. This time, I'm focusing on the Empire of the Apes. They do not have a lot of abilities, and they tend to share them. Blue Berserk is used by 2 different monsters, same with Beat Back Brawl.

Empire of the Apes Unused Abilities
    • Beacon
    • Ignite
    • Rage
    • Beat Back (Blast)
    • Chain Attack (Blast) (Commander Haldar)
    • Fling (Brawl)
    • Hit & Run (Blast)
    • Lightning Attack (Blast)
    • Synchronized Move (Blast)
    • Distract
    • Drain Life
    • Jam
    • Shelter

12 Unused Abilities (13?)
    I'm on the fence about Commander Haldar's use of Chain Attack (Blast). I honestly believe that the Character Units were last minute, while much of everything else was planned. I think that Haldar just nicked the ability from somebody else for his own nefarious purposes of blowing everybody up.

Unlisted Abilities: Hasten, Temporal Displacement, Anti-Air, Limited, Fragile, Indirect Fire
    There were a few abilities that were not listed, interestingly. Hasten and Temporal Displacement are both from Quantum Kondo, perhaps to no surprise. Anti-Air and Limited is from Commander Haldar, while Indirect Fire is from the Glass Rocket Ape and Fragile is from both Glass promos.

It's an interesting exercise to go out and find what abilities weren't used, as it gives us much-starved smashers some idea of what could've been. Of course, me being me, I've come up with some figures.

Default EotA Series 6 Figures - A Possibility

Pyro Ape / EotA (g/e unit)
    Speed: 5
    Brawl: 2*0 (2*1 e)
    Blast: 1*1s (1*2s e)
    Cost: 1 (2 e)
    Abilities: Ignite, Chain Reaction (Blast), Bomber, Leadership (Elite)
    When I saw Ignite, I knew I had to make a flamethrower-wielding ape. It isnít exactly environmentally-friendly, and there really is no reason to have more crowd control, but damn if it wouldnít be fun!

Drumline Ape / Eota(support unit)
    Brawl: 2*0
    Blast: None
    Cost: 1
    Abilities: Rage (Red), Distract, Motivator
    The Drumline Ape is a concept Iíve had for a while. Thereís Intelligence, Logistics, and now Moral Support. Loud moral support. Heís got a host of useful abilities that generically boost the Ape forces. Should be good fun.

Guerilla Hideout / EotA Installation
    Energy: 3
    Abilities: Beacon, Shelter (Red), Force Field (Red), Jam
    Though this is an installation without an attack, itíll still be a major pain in the butt. It makes units stationed near it tougher, has Beacon for movement shenanigans, and Jam. Because.

Doctor Zondo / EotA Morpher
    Dr. Zondo / EotA (Alpha ľ)
    Blast: 3*0L
    Abilities: Lightning Attack (Blast), Synchronized Move (Blast), Jump, Logistics
    Engineer Aondo (Alpha 2/4)
    Blast: 2*2L
    Abilities: Drain Life, Distract (Red), Jam, Jump
    Technician Bondo (Alpha ĺ)
    Blast: 2*2L
    Abilities: Beacon, Hit & Run (Blast, Red), Jump, Motivator
    Clyde (Alpha 4/4)
    Brawl: 3*2
    Abilities: Rage (Red), Riled (Red), Intensify, Jump
    ------Doctor Zondo, as he calls himself, was the first of the Apes to come into contact with Humanity. He did not enjoy the experience. Captured by a secretive organization, he was cruelly experimented upon in a secret laboratory on an island in the Pacific Ocean. There, his intellect was painfully expanded, making him incredibly intelligent. To further his pains, he was targeted with a device that could alter size. The prototype did not work as expected, causing his size to alter every moment, either increasing or shrinking. Desperately, he built a belt to control the changes, but this breakthrough inadvertently helped his captors. They reverse-engineered his own discoveries in the size-changing technology and used that for their own purposes, coming out in the Monsterpocalypse as the Shadow Sun Syndicate.
    -----Though he was scheduled to be destroyed, Doctor Zondo broke out, losing an arm in the process, and made his way back to his people with a harrowing tale. He convinced King Kondo to take up the mantle and declare war on destructive Humanity, and bolstered their forces with technology he made. Helping him are Engineer Aondo, Technician Bondo, and Clyde.
    While Zondo fights with the changes dealt to him, Aondo and Bondo fight with Power Staffs of Zondoís make that produce strange effects. Meanwhile, Clyde has to carry around an Energy Generator. When the situation calls for it, Clyde can focus power through the staffs of Aondo and Bondo to supercharge Zondoís belt, granting him staggering power and size.
    Doctor Zondo / EotA Metamorph (Ultra / Mega)
    Speed: 6 / 5
    Defense: 6 / 7
    Brawl: 7*3 / 8*3
    Blast: 8*4L / 8*3L
    Power: 7*2 / 7*2
    Health: 6 / 6
    Hyper: 3 / 4
    Abilities:
    Ultra: Rage (Blue), Follow Through (Brawl), Lightning Attack (Blast), Climb
    Mega: Fling (Brawl), Beat Back (Blast), Adaptable, Jump, Riled
    -----Of course, we have an image of the good doctor, whatever his actual name may be. I had to repeat a lot of abilities, as the EotA has the least amount of abilities I think Iíve seen in a faction yet! Zondo became a heavy blaster monster, targeting foes with his brutally strong Quantic Cannon, a device he is glad he has yet to see among the human arsenal. However, as a smaller ape, he lacks for power. The design is, of course, to have either Aondo or Bondo stand next to him and charge up his attack. Aondo is geared towards debuffing, but the force would have to get uncomfortably close to do so. Bondo is mobility-focused, though I originally thought of him as the coward of the quartet. Clyde is a bit of a cheerleader piece. Heís there to get power and hit people.

Default Tritons: Fish Inna Barrel

Tritons Unused Abilities and Potential Figures
    • Relocation
    • Energy Cycle
    • Marker
    • Demolish (Blast)
    • Hit & Run (Blast)
    • Lightning Attack (Blast)
    • Multishot (Brawl)
    • Siphon (Brawl)
    • Weapon Master (Power)
    • Spire
    • Amplify
    • Cloak
    • Discount
    • Drain Life
    • Flight
    • Force Field

16 Unused Abilities

Unlisted Abilities: Demolish (Brawl), Limited, Fragile

Sonar Boats/ Tritons (G/E Unit)
    Brawl: N/A
    Blast: 2*1s (2*2s-e)
    Cost: 1 (2-e)
    Abilities: Hover, Radar (Red For Elites), Leadership (Elite)
    -----Sonar Boats are combative units equipped with hover jets and potent cannons - yet they cannot attack in melee. Despite this, they are equipped with advance sound-based tracking systems that, for the elites, can be communicated to even the beasts of the Tritons. The idea for this unit came while looking at Hunter KoíRal, the only figure in the faction to have Radar. Now, I figure that the character units were last-minute creations, as their abilities didnít show up on the series reference sheets sometimes. This gave me the idea to do what the Spitter did and make a unit with radar. However, because the Grunt also has radar, they do not get the bonus from securing a building with Radar or Radar Network.

Medusal Lurker/ Tritons (Support Unit)
    Speed: 3
    Defense: 4
    Cost: 1
    Abilities: Drain Life, Shelter (Red), Force Field (Red), Amphibious
    -----Some mutant combination of Sea Slug and Sea Anemone, Medusal Lurkers are slow, but incredibly hard to root out. Their wavering tendrils give unpleasant shocks to those that attack near them, and a sickly, toxic feeling that they emanate prevents healing. Theyíre tough, and built to secure locations.

Megashell Temple / Tritons (Installation)
    Defense: 6
    Energy: 4
    Blast:
    Abilities: Relocation, Amplify (Red), Discount, Spire
    -----Titanic living structures of coral placed upon the shell of some long-dead crustaceous colossus, they are pulled along like crude chariots by a pair of massive hermit crabs who call the base of the building their home. They form good structures to build a power base around, and Spire means that your foe wonít want to get too close to them.

Hydraxus / Tritons Morpher (Alpha)
    Elektrus (Alpha ľ)
    Abilities: Demolish (Blast), Lightning Attack (Blast), Flight, Reach
    Toxnos (Alpha 2/4)
    Abilities: Multi-shot (Brawl), Siphon (Brawl, Red), Flight, Reach
    Luxinus (Alpha ĺ)
    Abilities: Energy Cycle (Red), Marker (Red), Flight, Reach
    Propulus (Alpha 4/4)
    Abilities: Hoist, Hit & Run (Blast, Red), Flight, Reach
    Hydraxus / Tritons Metamorph (Ultra / Mega)
    Speed: 5 / 5
    Defense: 5 / 7
    Brawl: 7*2 / 8*2
    Blast: 8*3L / 7*3L
    Power: 8*2 / 8*4
    Health: 7 / 5
    Hyper: 3 / 5
    Abilities - Ultra: Tow, Radial Attack (Brawl), Flight, Negation, Reach
    Abilities - Mega: Command, Weapon Master (Power), Cloak, Flight, Reach
    -----First shown off as a preview of molds to come, Hydraxus is intended to by that mysterious Jellyfish that was tied down with part of a battleship. I am still torn over whether or not that thing is the monster or the installation, but decided to make it the monster. You see, jellyfish are not known for their brain-power...or senses...or physical strength...or anything that would make them be able to throw down with other giant monsters at a gigantic scale. However, as Siphonophores are colonial organisms and are closely related to Jellyfish, it makes for an easy morpher.
    -----Hydraxus is the legion-bodied morpher monster of the Tritons, and is an idiotic force of destruction brimming with both toxic and electrical powers. Its components can fire off bolts of lightning that turn buildings into hazardous live wires before they collapse in on themselves, drain the power from their foes, focus bioluminescent spotlights onto designated targets, and manipulate the air around them to push both themselves and their allies around the board.
    -----When they use those powers in tandem, it causes the components to attach to each other and mutate rapidly in a bizarre display of biology to form the oceanic electro nemesis Hydraxus. As Hydraxus, its toxic body can prevent prolonged contact with foes while its many tentacles and tendrils lash out around it, or divert its massive power into clouding itself while charging up its tendrils to devastating effect when it grabs ahold of its foes.