Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

@blackraptor: location on the bear's life spiral. It may not have just a straight vitality score, so we need to roll a d6 to see which branch of its life spiral we actually damaged.
    “My life has been a crusade against the ordinary, the mundane, the regressively second-rate.” the Architect, Home

Iron West Company -- Doctor Morella Peelbone; Milkweed's Sanctuary -- Nkonkari; Brave Zu Horizons -- Glacia Idlewild

All of it. You damaged all of It!
    I mean how could you EXPLODE a bear.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxLastfogel View Post
    friends don't let friends take Boneswarms
    Nuban, Ex Nihilo.
    Porosus, MWS. Rosomahka Ledovich, IMD
    Flint 'Goldeneye' Rockfist, IWC. Gregan 'Ardman Hardank, CCG

Magic, Lightning, and a Big Sword?

Ahh, yes. Sorry I missed the life spiral, good call.
    Also, since I seemed to have forgotten much over the holidays, I am putting below the persistence of weather effects after Wayfarer stops maintaining them:
    Rain:2 rounds
    Obscuring Mist: 2 rounds
    They'll both be gone by the time mama bear shows up. Anyone got plans for how to take down a furious mother bear?
    Last edited by blackraptor; 01-04-2017 at 09:14 AM.
    IWC: "Trident Darius" Deepwater- Human Ordic Warcaster/Arcane Mechanic
    CCG: Ghariel Thirdeye- Human Cutthroat/Ex-Allegiant of the Order of the Fist
    Brave Zu Horizons:
    Sebastian "Wayfarer" Krackfall
    Unused characters:
    Dakkor Hammerhand-Ogrun Pirate/Pugilist

A charge from Scar should soften her up good (as long as I don't miss), and as long as I have a couple of feat points I should survive the retaliation... Not very cunning, but very much Scar's style.

Affliction should help mitigate low-damage hits for everyone. In theory, Glacia could spend a feat point for Two-Fister and attack with both of her rapiers. Assuming hits, that would be two d3 damage rolls per turn. Of course, Glacia doesn't really want to be in melee with a bear!
    “My life has been a crusade against the ordinary, the mundane, the regressively second-rate.” the Architect, Home

Iron West Company -- Doctor Morella Peelbone; Milkweed's Sanctuary -- Nkonkari; Brave Zu Horizons -- Glacia Idlewild

I think it might be best to have at most 2 of us in melee, and against a single more powerful opponent like this it would probably be best if only one of us (Scar) engaged in melee, keeping our other melee fighter (Potbelly) ready to charge in once Scar grabs the bear's attention.

Best case as I see it is this:

1. Everyone but Scar hides (because let's face it, he's not going to be able to): Potbelly on or near the ground, everyone else in trees. This gives the bear something to focus on, thus ignoring the rest of you for the moment (it'll smell everyone though, I'm fairly sure).
    2. When the bear arrives, spells and ranged attacks get thrown at it to help soften it up and distract it from Scar.
    3. Scar charges.
    4. Scar takes the bear's counter-attack and hopefully doesn't get killed.

After that, we just focus on taking it down if it hasn't already gone down.

What if the bear attacks those of us who are hiding? Bears are masters of stealth, after all. If you don't believe me, let me point out that three of us failed to notice the baby bear, and it wasn't even trying to be particularly sneaky. Hmm. We should probably consider that when we take turns on watch.
    Joking aside, there's that firing-into-melee problem. Wayfarer and Glacia run the risk of hitting party members once the bear is engaged with some one (Hint, blackraptor. Pick up Battlefield Coordination. ). Of course, I can keep Carnivore running on Scar.
    I'm also concerned that the bear will charge Scar immediately, before he gets a chance to act.

Making me miss my archer-y guide character. Battle Field Coordination was amazingly fun...I was almost always in a group of melee fighters so it only really did anything for me.

As for the bear, yeah we have to be on our A-game but I expect she will go to her cub and try to sniff out his killers rather than just charging us first. Remember, bears don't have the best eyesight in the animal kingdom.

In my estimation, if the bear charges me first, or if it survives after having the 3-4 of you hit it at range and Scar hitting it in melee, Scar is likely going down, which will leave you all once again able to hit it at range... hopefully you can take it down before it corners another one of you in that case.

That's an excellent argument. I'm convinced. Looks like Glacia's got some tree climbing to do!

Wayfarer doesn't have to deal with firing into combat penalties as lightning is a skill check and isn't subject to range attack modifiers or protection like stealth, says so explicitly in the wording for the use of lightning in the stormsmithing skill.
    Brave Zu Horizons:
    Unused characters:

I meant that all to be in Ordic. Got my wires crossed.

if you're all ready to rock and/or roll I'll shift the countdown timer of doom to 0
    Nuban, Ex Nihilo.

I'm ready to rock and/or roll! Cue "In the Garden of Eden" by I. Ron Butterfly!

I'm good.

One of the few times a trapper would have been utterly amazing. Anywho, I'm as good as I'm going to get unless anyone has an idea to further stack things in our favor.

Let's do it
    Brave Zu Horizons:
    Unused characters:

And it is on. This is going to HURT. Dice-2 for the bear to hurt me (at worst), Dice-4 for me to hurt it (at best). I considered using my hammer instead for the critical knockout, but a bear's Willpower means it would avoid the effects pretty trivially. A Maul would have been good... Here's hoping for criticals to hit so I can keep my FP replenished.

I think my next upgrade is going to be Hyper Regeneration... If I survive.

Oof, Mama has some mean buffs on her.

I am not sure shooting her with my magic will do much. I might have to fall back on just smacking her. Potbelly has Anatomical Precision so if I can't get through her ARM that's three damage. Not much but I can slowly chip her down in melee, which gives her a ton of time to eat through his armor.

Just don't forget she gets 3 attacks...

Are we still using the same Initiative as the previous fight?

Ah, I assumed it was just the same fight but stretched out since Mama was the countdown of the last fight and after Baby Bear was down the timer still ticked.

If I was wrong I can change my post or shift thing about, not a huge deal.

Same initiative
    Nuban, Ex Nihilo.

@Ravensaurusrex: Did you add Wayfarer's +1 to attack and damage rolls?

Yeah, without it's an 8. Double ones and a two really killed my chances. Boosted or not there isn't much that could save such a poor roll.

I tell you what though, I was waffling between making Potbelly a better spell flinger or a tank for a good while, but after whiffing so many boosted shots I am certainly aiming at an ARC increase. Load Baring should help with his off-tank duties well enough. He would have taken about half the damage he did in the farrow attack just with his normal DEF.

Could we get DEF and ARM on mother bear, just so we know when we take our actions?
    Brave Zu Horizons:
    Unused characters:

She's Def 10 arm 18
    Nuban, Ex Nihilo.

thanks, post up. I'd rolled my lightning attack re-roll i get for free in case 16 didn't cut it, but it looks like she's a lot easier to hit than I thought. just not that easy to damage.
    Brave Zu Horizons:
    Unused characters:

Awesome damage roll. A few more like that and we could walk away unscathed!

Good lord man! Another couple like that and we'll have bear jerky!

And with that slightly above average roll for damage... I likely just left the bear with 1 point left in it's Spirit...

Please be dead, please be dead, please be dead
    xD
    Brave Zu Horizons:
    Unused characters:

Sorry guys work is kicking my behind at the moment. Through an unfortunate series of events I'm currently wearing 6 different boss hats. Will try to get it up tomorrow
    Nuban, Ex Nihilo.

No worries sir, I can honestly wait to have Scar get torn to shreds by an angry mama bear...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789