Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 188
  1. #1

    Default KGB Harkevich 1 - H1, Khador's Iron Wolf, finally!

    "Okay this is happening." - somnicide (2013)

    Well, I wasn't a fan of Harkevich in MK2. Not even close. He was subpar in my opinion. But that's the past. It's not true anymore. This IS happening! - The new Hark is an awesome, a powerful, even one of the most powerful casters of Khador in MK3. We're really in need of a KGB Harkevich! I mean, just look at him now - and don't forget to learn more about Soul Samurai's awesome conversion, too:




    What's New? Why Harkevich Now?

    Because we're living in a jack meta now. And H1 still is a jack caster - and a pretty awesome jack caster on top. Again: one of the most powerful jack casters of Khador in MK3. Besides, we have awesome jacks now, too. And Power Up.

    Hark traded Escort for Mobility with Magnus 2 (and found something new called Iron Sentinel to up his defensive stats): Mobility gives us SPD 6 Khador jacks with Pathfinder. And thanks to the Kodiak's Heavy Boiler, it can now run a whopping 14'' and engage in 15''. Think about it: not even our infantry can do that without the help of a feat!

    On top he's got Field Marshal Reposition (3'') for warjacks in his BG (so not for Hark himself!). This means, the awesome bear jack can trample 9'' with Mobility, place a 4'' cloud and reposition back exactly behind this cloud (0.4 mm behind it, to be serious). It's just plain awesome!

    And there's Jumpstart, just in case your BG was KD, Stationary, or looking in the wrong direction.

    And then there's his feat: +3 ARM for the whole BG - making the Kodiak ARM 23 for one round. A lot of factions have a very hard time to deal with ARM 23 jacks - not to mention ARM 26 jacks! Especially not when it's 6+ of them. And of course your whole BG is going to charge or make slam power attacks without spending focus. It even does a basic ranged attack before advancing.


    Some Thoughts on Broadside

    Besides, he still has an offensive spell (Bombshell) and Broadside: But well, except of Black Ivan (with boosted attack rolls under H1) our shooty jacks still are RAT 4 only. And RAT 4 doesn't hit too much. Even worse: what it does hit doesn't mind POW 14 or 15 attacks - if at all. It might still help to deal lots of AOEs against low ARM single wound infantry. But seriously, I don't see too many of these guys lately, do you? (And those I see are blast immune like under I2 or Idrians...)

    In my humble opinion Broadside is a trap (some more thoughts). We're not Cygnar. (And thankfully they don't have Braodside!) Anyway, this doesn't mean the shooty part of H1's feat and Broadside are useless, they are just nothing I would optimize his list for. I'm optimizing my lists to abuse Mobility, Reposition, his feat.


    Fighting Circle and Cygnar

    My latest list looks this way - and is build to fight Circle (Wurmwood in particular) and Cygnar. Yes, Cygnar, Sloan Hunter spam in particular. It might sound stupid, but Harkevich is an amazing Cygnar drop. He's most probably our very best anti-Sloan option - but he works awesomely into the rest of Cygnar, too. At least as long as you add some basics (Shield Guards, preferably two of them, and Orin). I also like it without Ruin and the WMM but with 2 Marauders instead (but well, Ruin is awesome against Cygnar):

    Harkevich 1 - Kommander Harkevich, The Iron Wolf - WJ: +28
    - Kodiak - PC: 13
    - Kodiak - PC: 13
    - Kodiak - PC: 13
    - Juggernaut - PC: 12
    - Juggernaut - PC: 12
    - Ruin - PC: 17
    Ogrun Bokur - PC: 5
    Ogrun Bokur - PC: 5
    Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor - PC: 5
    Ragman - PC: 4
    Widowmaker Marksman - PC: 4
    Bunker - Steamroller Objective

    Here's a video batrep of it: Harkevich vs Haley2...



    ...and you'll find a lot more Harkevich Battle Reports under: http://j.mp/H1batreps


    Update Post Errata (December 2016)

    There's actually no need for Ragman (against gargossals) anymore. Same for a 2nd Juggy to hunt heavies first and foremost. We've got Marauders to deal with heavies and huge bases now, so Marauders and Ruin in future:

    Kommander Harkevich, The Iron Wolf - WJ: +28
    - Kodiak - PC: 13
    - Kodiak - PC: 13
    - Kodiak - PC: 13
    - Ruin - PC: 17
    - Juggernaut - PC: 12
    - Marauder - PC: 10
    - Marauder - PC: 10
    Ogrun Bokur - PC: 5
    Ogrun Bokur - PC: 5
    Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor - PC: 5
    Bunker - Steamroller Objective

    Some thoughts on this iteration and the Marauder in particular.


    Harkevich's Stat Cards

    Thanks to JD we've got Hark's stat cards available right here, too...

    Last edited by @Kriegsspiele; 01-09-2017 at 05:50 AM.

  2. #2
    Destroyer of Worlds HRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Dartmouth, NS, Canada
    Posts
    3,286

    Default

    I'm gonna have to pay attention to this thread. Hark is the one 'caster where I just don't know what he's supposed to do. Broadside is garbage on RAT 4, Jumpstart is situational at best, Bombshell is LOLsy, and Mobility, while great, is half his stack every turn. He basically has one spell. Every list I make for him, I'm just like... Wouldn't Vlad 1 do this better? Would it have killed Harkevich to have kept Fortune?

    I'm not saying you're wrong, or arguing for the sake of it... I just don't see it. To me he got worse. Hopefully this thread enlightens me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod_GoLu View Post
    We always were the good guys. But sometimes being good requires being good with an axe.

  3. #3

    Default

    Hark was one of those casters I really tried to make work in MK2, and my go to in MK 3. Ill tr and get some games with him and put up the Bat'Reps.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HRM View Post
    Mobility, while great, is half his stack every turn. ... Would it have killed Harkevich to have kept Fortune?
    As said elsewhere: you're not casting Mobility every turn. You're always casting it in the first turn, but then it really depends on the situation on the table. After you've connected (by running for example) you're not going to cast it anymore but fuel your jacks (two of them, mostly).

    Besides, you're really ditching Field Marshall Reposition too harshly. It's huge! It's amazing to charge something, then reposition forward to engage and feat for example (or even reposition back into safety if possible). It's an amazing ability. It's hard to describe it - but as soon as you play it, you'll understand how powerful it really is (not only on the Kodiaks). It's a free, super powerful "spell".

    Fortune would be neat, but I'm not really missing anything on Harkevich. A DMG buff would be neat, but not really needed on the other hand.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrHaystacks View Post
    Hark was one of those casters I really tried to make work in MK2, and my go to in MK 3. Ill tr and get some games with him and put up the Bat'Reps.
    Great! I was really wondering why nobody started a MK3 KGB yet!?
    Last edited by @Kriegsspiele; 10-18-2016 at 05:33 AM.

  5. #5
    Destroyer of Worlds HRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Dartmouth, NS, Canada
    Posts
    3,286

    Default

    I guess Hark just doesn't appeal to me because of all the infantry I own. I spent a lot of time and money on my Iron Fangs and Winter Guard so I can't run 'casters that do nothing for them, because dropping a bunch of dough on 3-5 more 'jacks isn't an option for me right now (and I only own three warjacks, none of which are the good ones).

    I'm glad folks are having success with him though - I really like his fluff and eventually I'll get around to buying more 'jacks. As I said, I'll be watching this discussion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod_GoLu View Post
    We always were the good guys. But sometimes being good requires being good with an axe.

  6. #6
    Destroyer of Worlds Wendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    7,794

    Default

    Are you guys in my house? I was just thinking about putting Hark with two colossals on the table this week. HOW DO YOU KNOW!?!?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frey
    Moose don't get angry, they get even
    It is important to note that I am just awful at this game. Seriously, watching me play is like watching Keanu Reeves perform Hamlet. It's funny at first, but then starts to get quietly sad, until you just want to leave the room.

  7. #7
    Destroyer of Worlds Welshhoppo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Swansea
    Posts
    3,583

    Default

    The Empire still keeps an eye on the old colonies......


    I'm going to ask this here, because I've always been confused. Jumpstart affects knocked down or stationary jacks, but the second half (the turn) says that effected models may turn. Does that mean only knock downed models may turn, or all the models may turn? I'm asking because I might actually play Mr. Ham at some point in the future.
    Final Mark II record 45W/0D/37L
    Mark III record 28W/0D/5L
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent100 View Post
    You've just been Decimated!
    Watch me fail at warmachine here! - http://privateerpressforums.com/show...ador!-(Poorly)

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HRM View Post
    I really like his fluff and eventually I'll get around to buying more 'jacks. As I said, I'll be watching this discussion!
    I think this thread will get interesting as a lot of players seem to go for him these days:

    Quote Originally Posted by Wendan View Post
    Are you guys in my house? I was just thinking about putting Hark with two colossals on the table this week. HOW DO YOU KNOW!?!?!?!
    This is a KGB, isn't it? I mean, seriously?

    Quote Originally Posted by Welshhoppo View Post
    I'm going to ask this here, because I've always been confused. Jumpstart affects knocked down or stationary jacks, but the second half (the turn) says that effected models may turn. Does that mean only knock downed models may turn, or all the models may turn? I'm asking because I might actually play Mr. Ham at some point in the future.
    In my opinion they are affected when in Hark's control area. (No reference at hand.)

  9. #9
    Conqueror
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    385

    Default

    This a list I played (stolen from the Khador FB group) the other day. This is disgusting. Between the cloud wall of 16" approx, venting steam and mortars wiping infantry and the feat, my opponent couldnt do anything. The Kodiaks dont hit especially hard, but once the juggy's are in its fine. And I used my Kodiaks for throwing models around to take it on scenario at Incursion.

    Kommander Harkevich, The Iron Wolf - WJ: +28
    - Juggernaut - PC: 12 (Battlegroup Points Used: 12)
    - Juggernaut - PC: 12 (Battlegroup Points Used: 12)
    - Juggernaut - PC: 12 (Battlegroup Points Used: 4)
    - Kodiak - PC: 13
    - Kodiak - PC: 13
    - Kodiak - PC: 13
    - Kodiak - PC: 13
    Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor - PC: 5
    Winter Guard Mortar Crew - Gunner & Grunt: 5
    Winter Guard Mortar Crew - Gunner & Grunt: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS_Hungerford View Post
    I have never eaten a Press Ganger.

  10. #10
    Conqueror
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Shhhhhh! Don't tell anyone that Harkevich is good now, or people will want him nerfed like they do Karchev!
    I play Harkevich. Because I'm one of those jerks who has the audacity to play a battle wizard controlling an army of big stompy robots in a game about battle wizards controlling big stompy robots.

  11. #11

    Default

    Do you think Kodiaks are crucial to his lists or he can work with any jacks as long as they're melee oriented?

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
    Do you think Kodiaks are crucial to his lists or he can work with any jacks as long as they're melee oriented?
    Quote Originally Posted by muzbuz01 View Post
    Between the cloud wall of 16" approx, venting steam and mortars wiping infantry and the feat, my opponent couldnt do anything. The Kodiaks dont hit especially hard, but once the juggy's are in its fine. And I used my Kodiaks for throwing models around to take it on scenario at Incursion.
    This sums it up pretty perfectly. Personally, I don't think Kodiaks are mandatory at all. I know people who just run one or none but Devastators instead (ARM 26, guys!). But hell, Kodiaks are so damn awesome under Harkevich: It's really, really lovely! Kodiaks are our very best jacks (for their point cost) in my opinion - and Hark just makes them so much better thanks to Mobility (+ Heavy Boiler), Reposition, feat. They are a perfect match and the cloud wall is super effective in a lot of matchups.

    Besides, you can of course add shooty jacks to a H1 list. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't build a list around the shooty part of the feat and Broadside (like the two following) in my opinion. Focusing on Broadside is a trap as long as you don't find an effective way to up RAT or lower the DEF of your opponent's models. And I only see three interesting options here: 1. Ternions/Koldun, 2. Field Guns, 3. Thor/Avalancher. These builds are good fun but the Ternions, Koldun, and Field Guns just too fragile, Thor/Avalancher too expensive (and Thor not less fragile ), and under Broadside POW 14/15 isn't that impressive, too:

    Kommander Harkevich, The Iron Wolf - WJ: +28
    - Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator - PC: 4
    - Behemoth - PC: 24
    - Black Ivan - PC: 19
    - Decimator - PC: 16
    - Kodiak - PC: 13
    - Kodiak - PC: 13
    Greylord Ternion - Leader & 2 Grunts: 7
    Greylord Ternion - Leader & 2 Grunts: 7

    Kommander Harkevich, The Iron Wolf - WJ: +28
    - Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator - PC: 4
    - Behemoth - PC: 24
    - Black Ivan - PC: 19
    - Decimator - PC: 16
    Thor Steinhammer - PC: 4
    - Ghordson Avalancher - PC: 17
    Ogrun Bokur - PC: 5
    Ogrun Bokur - PC: 5
    Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor - PC: 5
    Gobber Tinker - PC: 2
    Gobber Tinker - PC: 2

    One more thing: These lists won't work against WW anymore, I guess.
    Last edited by @Kriegsspiele; 10-18-2016 at 06:56 AM.

  13. #13
    Destroyer of Worlds HRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Dartmouth, NS, Canada
    Posts
    3,286

    Default

    I noticed the Bokur in that last list - would not a Rager be a better choice, since he directly buffs it? Or is it just a points thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod_GoLu View Post
    We always were the good guys. But sometimes being good requires being good with an axe.

  14. #14
    Destroyer of Worlds OrsusSmash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Abingdon, MD
    Posts
    2,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
    Do you think Kodiaks are crucial to his lists or he can work with any jacks as long as they're melee oriented?
    My initial games with Harkevich didn't have any Kodiaks. Having played those lists, I'd say that Kodiaks aren't "crucial", but they sure are nice. They bring some really nice general anti-infantry along with potential LOS blocking. They aren't great at beating up heavy armor, but they'll do well enough against most heavies that it isn't that big of a deal (and you can supplement with Juggernauts to crack the really heavy stuff as needed).

    I feel like Harkevich works surprisingly well in this edition. However, he still doesn't play the way most expect him to: shooting with most Khador warjacks isn't that great so any reliance on that or Broadsides usually doesn't work out so well. I've found that Behemoth and/or Black Ivan are about as good as its going to get for him mostly due to Focus efficiency/relative accuracy (no reason not to boost Behemoth's shots, Ivan's are auto-boosted). I also think that Broadsides would be worthwhile with either of the colossals, but I haven't tried them yet with him in the new edition.

    The three best things that Harkevich brings to the table are:

    1) Mobility (the spell). It isn't as elegant as his old Escort + Field Marshal combo, but it still makes for a rather mobile battlegroup. Getting Khador warjacks up to 6" advance/12" running is really good for taking ground early in the game, or staying stuck in as turns go on. Pathfinder is also very nice to have access to at the battlegroup level though its an expensive way to get it if that is all you need.

    2) Reposition. This is surprisingly useful, even on melee only models. Being able to move after completing your combat action can do a lot for keeping your models safe, keep other models tied up, stay in scenario zones, and many other little things that come up during games. It can be an easy thing to forget but I was surprised how often it came up and was helpful. It is also obviously useful for shooting warjacks as it allows you to shoot-and-scoot. Also one of the reasons that I haven't jumped at running a colossal with him as you lose out on that benefit.

    3) Feat based ARM buff. This was arguably his best feature in the last edition and it is even more valuable now that running larger battlegroups is more feasible. Harkevich's feat tips Khador warjack ARM well into the ugly side of the bell curve and since it is a feat based buff the common ways to strip/ignore ARM buffs don't work. Multiply that across however many warjacks you have brought and it can really jam up the opponent. Also worth noting that Harkevich himself benefits from the feat, so between that and Iron Sentinel he will likely be 16/21 on feat turn (immune to KD) which is very nice.

    I like Harkevich quite a bit in the new edition, but it is mostly for running a wolfpack of melee warjacks backed up by Behemoth/Ivan shooting. It would be nice for a more combined arms battlegroup to work out for him. That will take some tweaks to Destroyers/Decimators though before that will really sing. They aren't terrible, but they aren't especially great or efficient.
    More thoughts about WM/H and other nerd hobbies: Sticks and Dice

  15. #15

    Default

    First of all a full acknowledge to OrsusSmash!^

    Quote Originally Posted by HRM View Post
    I noticed the Bokur in that last list - would not a Rager be a better choice, since he directly buffs it? Or is it just a points thing?
    Well, both. But it's not about that 1 single point. It's about having two Shield Guards. A perfect list - where points wouldn't matter - would even have 3 Shield Guards to have a perfect game against Caine2.

    In short: The Bokurs are there to take at least 2 Shadowfire shots (from 2 GMCA under Sloan). Sadly, there can be 3 Shadowfire shots under Caine2 (Ace), so it's super important to have a very, very good positioning.

    I'm talking about my melee list here (which is especially build against WW and Cygnar), not about the shooty list with Thor/Avalancher.
    Last edited by @Kriegsspiele; 10-18-2016 at 07:18 AM.

  16. #16
    Destroyer of Worlds
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6,304

    Default

    So I want to pitch shooty jacks. If you have played much into Retribution's Helynna you know how god awfully good Rhythm of War is. Well Hark gets a BETTER version of that (since he can resposition each jack after it is done rather than all at once at the end of the turn) AND it isn't a spell but a Field Marshall ability. Their feats are pretty similar - Harks being more offensive and Helynna being more grinding/attrition. Mobility speeds up our jacks to Retributions level.

    Now key differences are the arcanists who help with focus efficiency. Be interesting to see how Armor Santa plays out

    So you could, for example, build this way. Here we ARE abusing broadside and respositioning

    Hark
    Black Ivan
    Destroyer
    Destroyer
    Destroyer
    Behemoth

    Field Guns x2
    Joe
    Armory

    Not a lot of trick here ;-) Field guns look to knock down 2 jacks each turn and are deployed on the flank. Should that occur you are capable, with broadside, of putting 11 POW 14s into said knocked down Jack - with up to 5 of them boosted without spending anymore focus and 6 of them boosted with just 1 allocation to Behemoth.

    Is Caine2 a problem? Absolutely! Though with iron Sentinal AND feat you can get Hark up to base ARM 21.

    Dug in Trenchers are a problem here. One might want to drop a destroyer and add, for example, some WGI so you can spray out infantry.

    It isn't subtle but I can see this list getting a LOT of work done....again sorta similar to the way that Helynna abuses his feat/Rythm of war.

  17. #17
    Destroyer of Worlds Juris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by @Kriegsspiele View Post
    I think this thread will get interesting as a lot of players seem to go for him these days:



    This is a KGB, isn't it? I mean, seriously?



    In my opinion they are affected when in Hark's control area. (No reference at hand.)
    Pretty sure that all Warjacks that are within Harkevich's control range when the spell is cast may change facing.


    Maxwell Finn's longest killing spree:
    11 Doom Reavers Swordsman.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by @Kriegsspiele View Post

    In short: The Bokurs are there to take at least 2 Shadowfire shots (from 2 GMCA under Sloan). Sadly, there can be 3 Shadowfire shots under Caine2 (Ace), so it's super important to have a very, very good positioning.
    You, and all the Cygnar players I know, are forgetting/ignoring Taryn. It can go up to five Shadow Fire shots. Which is maybe for the better that no one is thinking about that.

    Ragers are really not necessary, Bokurs are sufficient and cost effective.

    However, if you want to seriously consider Harkevich as a strong tournament list (aiming for x-1 or better), you need something in your off-list that can deal with melee forces, which can out threaten or get an attritional advantage. You cannot play him into trollbloods, for example. Doomie 2,3 and Ragnor come to mind. And where you will not lose the list chicken.

    If the enemy out threatens you, you must feat first and will be waited out. If it is Ragnor or Doomie3, they get shoved in your face and you cannot do anything. Not even his feat will save you, if it is countered by a rage animus and troll buffs.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sand20go View Post
    So I want to pitch shooty jacks. If you have played much into Retribution's Helynna you know how god awfully good Rhythm of War is. Well Hark gets a BETTER version of that (since he can resposition each jack after it is done rather than all at once at the end of the turn) AND it isn't a spell but a Field Marshall ability. Their feats are pretty similar - Harks being more offensive and Helynna being more grinding/attrition. Mobility speeds up our jacks to Retributions level.

    Now key differences are the arcanists who help with focus efficiency. Be interesting to see how Armor Santa plays out

    So you could, for example, build this way. Here we ARE abusing broadside and respositioning

    Hark
    Black Ivan
    Destroyer
    Destroyer
    Destroyer
    Behemoth

    Field Guns x2
    Joe
    Armory

    Not a lot of trick here ;-) Field guns look to knock down 2 jacks each turn and are deployed on the flank. Should that occur you are capable, with broadside, of putting 11 POW 14s into said knocked down Jack - with up to 5 of them boosted without spending anymore focus and 6 of them boosted with just 1 allocation to Behemoth.
    From my experience the biggest problem with Destroyer isn't the rat, it's the low damage. The pow 14 gun and pow 17 axe is useless against heavies.
    So Destroyers should be Decimators or Demolishers, field gun something then burst it with 6x boosted pow 15 shots. With 3x Decimators, Ivan, Behemoth and 2x fields guns it's possible to kill or cripple 2 heavies per turn with shooting in total. Against infatry you'll have two attack boosted shots per jack, that's enough to kill a unit per turn.
    Also reposition is probably the only way for rng 8" and 10" jacks to not get charged by everything afterwards.
    Last edited by Smooth Criminal; 10-18-2016 at 03:30 PM.

  20. #20
    Annihilator Zelbinnean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ze German View Post
    However, if you want to seriously consider Harkevich as a strong tournament list (aiming for x-1 or better), you need something in your off-list that can deal with melee forces, which can out threaten or get an attritional advantage. You cannot play him into trollbloods, for example. Doomie 2,3 and Ragnor come to mind. And where you will not lose the list chicken.
    So, Butcher3 then?

  21. #21
    Conqueror
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    194

    Default

    I want to try him with a couple of Decimators. I had a blast with Coleslaw and his battlebox with TacSup on the Decimator, so why not Harkevich with 2? For 2 focus, you can boost both ranged attack rolls and hit a def14 on average, and if it's something big and heavy, you can probably get away with boosting damage rolls instead, but 2 power 15 hits from 10 inches does amount to something. Moreso when you push them back an inch, opt to not follow up, and then repo 3 more inches, leaving you 14 inches from the target. Not a lot of things are gonna clear that range, so I think there might be something with that.

  22. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ze German View Post
    You, and all the Cygnar players I know, are forgetting/ignoring Taryn. It can go up to five Shadow Fire shots. Which is maybe for the better that no one is thinking about that. Ragers are really not necessary, Bokurs are sufficient and cost effective.
    Well, I'm not ignoring her - I simply haven't seen her in a Sloan or Caine build in MK3. I have seen Caine with 3x Shadowfire (although it's already getting rare) - but with 4? Same for Sloan who almost always runs 2. I guess 3/4 gets too expensive? Making the list ineffective elsewhere? And the GMCA is definitely better than Taryn, isn't he? - Anyway, I already can't afford 3 Shield Guards - so how should I afford 4 of them!?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ze German View Post
    However, if you want to seriously consider Harkevich as a strong tournament list (aiming for x-1 or better), you need something in your off-list that can deal with melee forces, which can out threaten or get an attritional advantage. You cannot play him into trollbloods, for example. Doomie 2,3 and Ragnor come to mind. And where you will not lose the list chicken.
    Trolls have and will most probably feel the Butcher, now and in future: I'm currently reworking my B3 list massively, teching against Ret in particular - but it'll also cover some Troll, Satyxis, Menoth builds. I really like this pairing so far. It's so beautiful to build B3 lists without Cygnar in mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
    From my experience the biggest problem with Destroyer isn't the rat, it's the low damage. The pow 14 gun and pow 17 axe is useless against heavies. - So Destroyers should be Decimators or Demolishers, field gun something then burst it with 6x boosted pow 15 shots. With 3x Decimators, Ivan, Behemoth and 2x fields guns it's possible to kill or cripple 2 heavies per turn with shooting in total. Against infatry you'll have two attack boosted shots per jack, that's enough to kill a unit per turn. - Also reposition is probably the only way for rng 8" and 10" jacks to not get charged by everything afterwards.
    In my experience even POW 15 isn't enough to go for heavies theses days - especially not when broadsided, aka unboosted.

  23. #23
    Destroyer of Worlds
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Darkest Canberra
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    I kinda like the idea of him with Grolars, and maybe Marauders. Can't feed two Grolars? Fine: one knocks its opponent down and repositions out of melee, and Eiryss1 locks the knockdown on so it can't shake and get you. Even without Eiryss they have to spend to shake, so they're down to 3 attacks and probably won't kill you. Reposition + knockdown = maximum of two focus on your opponent. On any Grolar you'd be able to set 4 attacks per turn vs their 3, which could be a solid attrition advantage.

    Or a Marauder doesn't need to roll that well to be ~7" away after a slam (1" reach + 3" reposition + 3" on the slam), so plenty of heavies would need to spend focus to shake and another to charge if they want to get back to you, which'd cost two focus and leave it with only two attacks. Combined with the feat I reckon you could set up an interesting grind thanks to reposition.

    But no experience with the feller, because bugger that. Looking forward to the KGB getting rolling.

  24. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmellyTerror View Post
    Or a Marauder... Looking forward to the KGB getting rolling.
    I really like the Marauder under H1. Just like the Kodiak it mostly doesn't need more than the Power Up FOC to get some awesome work done. On the other hand: Ruin is truly awesome against Haley2/3.

    Harkevich 1 - Kommander Harkevich, The Iron Wolf - WJ: +28
    - Kodiak - PC: 13
    - Kodiak - PC: 13
    - Kodiak - PC: 13
    - Juggernaut - PC: 12
    - Juggernaut - PC: 12
    - Marauder - PC: 10
    - Marauder - PC: 10
    Ogrun Bokur - PC: 5
    Ogrun Bokur - PC: 5
    Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor - PC: 5
    Ragman - PC: 4
    Bunker - Steamroller Objective

    And for sure, Kodiaks, Marauders, Grolars are another way to "lower" the DEF of opposing heavies during the mid game. - I'm really looking forward to read, see, watch batreps that make me want to test shooty jacks again.

  25. #25
    Destroyer of Worlds JDAntoine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,633

    Default

    Cool KGB so far with some cool lists aswell. Very happy to see this topic. Some nice additional insight will follow. Still play him (when I do, not that often) with Behemoth which has been a very welcome backline piece and in general close to Harkevich to make sure plans will continue. However Bokurs certainly do offer another solution to keeping Harkevich save.

  26. #26

    Default

    I have been playing a H1 list similar to Kriegsspiele, except Eliminators and Min Mechanics instead of Marksman and Ragman. Last few games the mechs haven't done anything and I have noticed that I ALWAYS give away a Kodiak to start the trades. So I shifted the list a bit which I think will help even more into my matchups. Basically drop the Mechs for a Tinker and swap a Kodiak for 2 Mad Dogs. Under Mobility and Jury Rigged I can float them waaaaay up the board as throwaway pieces if need be.

    Eliminators have proven to be MVP's of the list. They have just done so much work. The best use I have found them is being targets. They either cause my opponent to devote way too many points to try to kill them or I simply run them through enemy lines and use them as throw targets to put models exactly where I want them. I expect I will be sad when the errata hits but it's great fun for now. Acrobatics and Parry means I can line up throws just about any direction I want to.

    War Room Army

    Khador - Hark the clouds

    Theme: No Theme Selected
    75 / 75 Army

    Bunker - Steamroller Objective

    Kommander Harkevich, The Iron Wolf - WJ: +28
    - Kodiak - PC: 13 (Battlegroup Points Used: 13)
    - Kodiak - PC: 13 (Battlegroup Points Used: 13)
    - Juggernaut - PC: 12 (Battlegroup Points Used: 2)
    - Juggernaut - PC: 12
    - Ruin - PC: 17
    - Mad Dog - PC: 7
    - Mad Dog - PC: 7

    Ogrun Bokur - PC: 5
    Ogrun Bokur - PC: 5
    Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor - PC: 5
    Gobber Tinker - PC: 2

    Kayazy Eliminators - Leader & Grunt: 5

  27. #27

    Default

    Haven't played that many games with him, but WGI sprays make very good support for the jacks. Gunfighter especially helps get exactly the angle you want to clear jamming infantry, letting the jacks actually do work. I've fiddled with Eliminators in the role, but I like the spray volume.

    I also want Field Guns and Decimators to work, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

  28. #28
    Destroyer of Worlds Juris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ze German View Post
    You, and all the Cygnar players I know, are forgetting/ignoring Taryn. It can go up to five Shadow Fire shots. Which is maybe for the better that no one is thinking about that.

    Ragers are really not necessary, Bokurs are sufficient and cost effective.

    However, if you want to seriously consider Harkevich as a strong tournament list (aiming for x-1 or better), you need something in your off-list that can deal with melee forces, which can out threaten or get an attritional advantage. You cannot play him into trollbloods, for example. Doomie 2,3 and Ragnor come to mind. And where you will not lose the list chicken.

    If the enemy out threatens you, you must feat first and will be waited out. If it is Ragnor or Doomie3, they get shoved in your face and you cannot do anything. Not even his feat will save you, if it is countered by a rage animus and troll buffs.
    Nobody is forgetting her; it's overkill. I've played Kara Sloan with 2 GMCA's and Taryn; while the GMCA's are always useful, Taryn is not so much. Most turns in most games you are not using Shadowfire; it's just a threat that's on the table. I don't think she is worth 5 points at the moment. Maybe 4.


    Maxwell Finn's longest killing spree:
    11 Doom Reavers Swordsman.

  29. #29
    Annihilator The Armchair Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Wellesley, MA
    Posts
    806

    Default

    Is. anyone using Victor? You don't need to worry about the RAT since 5" flaming AOE drifts will get work done. I'm thinking him + Black Ivan is enough to make Broadsides and the Feat workable while still leaving room for melee...

  30. #30
    Destroyer of Worlds Havock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,666

    Default

    It's still going to cut deep into your list, and the colossal is a weak point in that it could be targeted regardless of clouds -of course you could drop that idea altogether-.

    I really want to try him out but I still only have like, 1 Kodiak. And no Hark.

  31. #31

    Default

    I've been thinking about Hark since the Victor was announced - specifically with Broadside. With Victor, you pick the shot that goes out. In broadside its RAT minimal - so what. Drop Flare. Pretty good chance it catches something fairly important. It's DEF is now down _for the turn.

    And everybody else now gets a shot from Broadside. Now it's time for movement - and another round of shooting at something whose Def is down and may very well take a Power Up boosted to hit round.
    Does Victor's crater round deal blast damage to everything in the AOE? My iPad is dead.

    And the mortars or field guns now have a better shot at hitting, esp with Joe to encourage them.

  32. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami1k View Post
    Basically drop the Mechs for a Tinker and swap a Kodiak for 2 Mad Dogs.
    I want to test something similar: drop Ruin and WMM for 3 Mad Dogs. That'd give Hark 3 16'', 3 14'' and 2 12'' far running jacks. And indeed, under his feat those Mad Dogs should have some impact regarding the scenario game, especially when you're starting the game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Juris View Post
    Nobody is forgetting her; it's overkill. I've played Kara Sloan with 2 GMCA's and Taryn; while the GMCA's are always useful, Taryn is not so much. Most turns in most games you are not using Shadowfire; it's just a threat that's on the table. I don't think she is worth 5 points at the moment. Maybe 4.
    That's what I guessed: it's about efficiency. 3 (Sloan) or 4 (Caine2) Shadowfire shots might be a bit too expensive. Anyway, it makes me happy to hear you describe it this way, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Armchair Warrior View Post
    Is. anyone using Victor? You don't need to worry about the RAT since 5" flaming AOE drifts will get work done. I'm thinking him + Black Ivan is enough to make Broadsides and the Feat workable while still leaving room for melee...
    Quote Originally Posted by Havock View Post
    It's still going to cut deep into your list, and the colossal is a weak point in that it could be targeted regardless of clouds -of course you could drop that idea altogether-. I really want to try him out but I still only have like, 1 Kodiak. And no Hark.
    Quote Originally Posted by The coelacanth View Post
    I've been thinking about Hark since the Victor was announced - specifically with Broadside. With Victor, you pick the shot that goes out. In broadside its RAT minimal - so what. Drop Flare. Pretty good chance it catches something fairly important. It's DEF is now down _for the turn.
    We'll see how this works as soon as Viktor drops. What I can't see is the DMG potential? Without boosts under Broadside I don't see too many things that'll care? Think Khador: POW 14/15 vs ARM 20 isn't really frightening our jacks. It's not even frightening Drakhuns, Uhlans, Shocktroopers, is it?

    Havock: give him a try with other jacks. Kodiaks are super awesome under Hark, but as said: no need. Enjoy the general speed buff with any other jack right now!

  33. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by @Kriegsspiele View Post
    I want to test something similar: drop Ruin and WMM for 3 Mad Dogs. That'd give Hark 3 16'', 3 14'' and 2 12'' far running jacks. And indeed, under his feat those Mad Dogs should have some impact regarding the scenario game, especially when you're starting the game.
    I don't think I could ever drop Ruin from Hark. He is my Iron Sentinel and end game beater (has squashed 2 casters so far). Mostly its the Sacred Ward. I play a ton of TK/Force Hammer/Mittens etc and without Ruin I'd end up with a Hark hanging out to dry. Clams would stop the push/pulls but not the TK or slams. I could use Orin to stop some of those but I use him more to protect the other things after I get stuck in. Stranglehold mostly.

  34. #34
    Destroyer of Worlds joelker41's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,969

    Default

    It made a lateral move for me as a list from MK2 to MK3 but Hark/Ivan/5 Demolishers is still fun. Hasn't lost in the games I've played it in but not in tournaments.

    I do think he himself is actually better than before and the Clams got overall worse. Oddly the biggest loss was the reduction in AOE size for Demolishers.
    Mk3 Tourney Record:
    Kaelyssa 13-2/Helynna 4-2/Elara2 2-1
    Zaal2 3-0/Rasheth 5-4

  35. #35
    Destroyer of Worlds squee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia!
    Posts
    2,801

    Default

    I tried Harkevich with the following list in a 50-point game vs Dwarves n other assorted mercs:

    Harkevich
    Destroyer
    2 Marauders
    3 Binkistators

    Due to the relatively low focus demands of all the jacks, it did surprisingly well; i found myself casting mobility every turn but I was able to camp 1 or 2 focus almost every turn!
    Quote Originally Posted by Talhe View Post
    Squee, it is no exaggeration to say that you have single-handedly restored my faith in Khadoran 'jacks. Thank you.
    ai ar riter for webkomiks an ar gud at spelings en gremar. u can find mai komiks HEER (fantusee advenchur) an HEER (ackshun an cheezcaek!)

  36. #36
    Destroyer of Worlds Havock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by @Kriegsspiele View Post
    Havock: give him a try with other jacks. Kodiaks are super awesome under Hark, but as said: no need. Enjoy the general speed buff with any other jack right now!
    Nah I want to play the cloudgame!

  37. #37
    Destroyer of Worlds Steamwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,424

    Default

    Can you use Bulldoze and Reposition or is the Bulldoze limited somehow? Hard to tell. Still getting used to mk3.
    Man O' War...someday soon...

  38. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami1k View Post
    I don't think I could ever drop Ruin from Hark.
    I really enjoy playing him, too. That's particularly true against Cygnar - aka Haley2/3. But well, another heavy isn't that bad either.

    Quote Originally Posted by joelker41 View Post
    I do think he himself is actually better than before and the Clams got overall worse. Oddly the biggest loss was the reduction in AOE size for Demolishers.
    I really don't get the Demolisher's nerf and pricing!? For whatever reason PP doesn't want us to use shooty jacks efficiently - except of Behemoth.

    Quote Originally Posted by squee View Post
    ...i found myself casting mobility every turn but I was able to camp 1 or 2 focus almost every turn!
    This edition must be heaven to you, mustn't it? BINKIS EVERYWHERE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Havock View Post
    Nah I want to play the cloudgame!
    It's indeed cool against several factions and list builds. Just saying it's not mandatory.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steamwitch View Post
    Can you use Bulldoze and Reposition or is the Bulldoze limited somehow? Hard to tell. Still getting used to mk3.
    Nope, you can't use Bulldoze when repositioning.

  39. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by @Kriegsspiele View Post
    I really don't get the Demolisher's nerf and pricing!?
    It was a bit silly that those two tiny little guns on it's shoulders had higher pow and a larger aoe than the giant cannon the destroyer carries around. And to be fair, you're a lot more likely to use them now that you only drop to arm 19.

  40. #40
    Destroyer of Worlds squee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia!
    Posts
    2,801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by @Kriegsspiele View Post

    This edition must be heaven to you, mustn't it? BINKIS EVERYWHERE!
    Indeed, and I've finally found my balanced "one size fits all" list for the majority of my 28 WJP casters!

    Quote Originally Posted by Talhe View Post
    Squee, it is no exaggeration to say that you have single-handedly restored my faith in Khadoran 'jacks. Thank you.
    ai ar riter for webkomiks an ar gud at spelings en gremar. u can find mai komiks HEER (fantusee advenchur) an HEER (ackshun an cheezcaek!)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •