Thread: Scrap Heap

Default Scrap Heap

My latest terrain piece, some steampunk-themed rough terrain:

It's made from a piece of cork tile glued to a hardboard base, with lots of bitz glued on top. Here's a close-up of the detail:

The larger gears were purchased form a company called Green Stuff World; the tiny ones were from a lot of watch gears that I found on eBay. The tricky part is gluing stuff on in a way that looks cool, but doesn't prevent models from being able to stand on it. I think it turned out pretty well, aesthetically pleasing and functional.

I can also set old wreck markers (the inner part, without the outer ring) on it to convert it into cover-providing rubble.
    I know violence isn't the answer-
    I got it wrong on purpose!

Destroyer of Worlds tutenkharnage's Avatar
    Crawling through the Undercity with the BRI

Looks sweet!

Annihilator

Nicely done, again! That is a nice terrain piece. It looks a bit expensive. I've spent some time trying to acquire gears and it got expensive quickly on fleabay . . .

Did I tell you that I love your tundra camouflage lately?

Destroyer of Worlds

It looks a bit too clean and organized to me. I think it would look a lot better if you had more scrap strewn about. I think it would also benefit from more drybrushed metal highlights.

Quite coincidentally, I just made a prototype piece of scrap terrain as well! It's unpainted, though. (Give me a few days!)

Quote Originally Posted by Tapecrawler View Post
    It looks a bit expensive. I've spent some time trying to acquire gears and it got expensive quickly on fleabay . . .
    I'm not sure how much it would price out to, since it's made from a fraction of all the overall components (the cork tiles come in a 4-pack, and I used only a fraction of the gears I bought). I would guess the total would be somewhere around US$10-12.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It looks a bit too clean and organized to me. I think it would look a lot better if you had more scrap strewn about.
    Hmm, that might be the result of trying to keep the surface even enough to easily accommodate models standing on top of it. "More scrap" and they would become challenging to balance.

Clean and organized sounds fine to me. It's useless if it's not functional. I suggest casting a mold of it. It looks like it would duplicate very nicely.
    "If at first you don't succeed, label it version 1.0."

I think it looks good and it's playable, so it's a winner. Only thing I would have done different is paint some red into that obvious Demo/Dev shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Koholic View Post
    Only thing I would have done different is paint some red into that obvious Demo/Dev shield.
    I didn't want this piece to be 'faction-specific', though- I wanted it to be as generic as possible. That's why I cut the Devastator arm up: I was just using it as generic junk, and not specifically a Dev arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Quite coincidentally, I just made a prototype piece of scrap terrain as well! It's unpainted, though. (Give me a few days!)
    Hey, how's that coming?

Destroyer of Worlds mikethefish's Avatar

Hey, those are pretty nifty! I seem to remember you posting in my own scrap pile thread, or am I wrong? If I helped give you a good idea, then that's pretty cool