Default A Fist of Iron - Strakhov 1

Game 1 - Cryx

Gaining Resourceful is such an awesome boon for Strakhov. And with Behemoth pretty much running himself, instead of guzzling all the focus, I'm excited to get him on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by War Room Army
    Khador - Strakhov

Theme: No Theme Selected
    75 / 75 Army

Stockpile - Steamroller Objective

Kommander Oleg Strakhov - WJ: +28
    - War Dog - PC: 3
    - Juggernaut - PC: 12 (Battlegroup Points Used: 12)
    - Behemoth - PC: 24 (Battlegroup Points Used: 16)
    - Devastator - PC: 14

Kovnik Jozef Grigorovich - PC: 4
    Ogrun Bokur - PC: 5

Winter Guard Rifle Corps - Leader & 9 Grunts: 13
    - Winter Guard Rocketeer - PC: 2
    Iron Fang Uhlans - Leader & 2 Grunts: 12
    Battle Mechaniks - Leader & 3 Grunts: 3
    Greylord Ternion - Leader & 2 Grunts: 7
    The aim with this list is to use the Devastator as a scenario bastion, provide ranged support with Behemoth and the Rifles, take out a heavy with the Juggernaut and clear up with the Uhlans.

My first game with Strakhov was against my PP Forums 2014 Secret Santa, Ryan. Ryan was also a captain at the WTC this year, so I knew I was in for a tough game. Ryan has already done a nice write up on his blog, with discussion in the corresponding thread, so I will keep this brief.

Ryan was playing Cryx with his fully painted brooding dark purple army, lead by Goreshade3 with Deathjack and Barathrum in the battlegroup.

I have no idea whether I want to go first or second at the moment, so just picked turn when I won the roll.

My plan was to use my guns to take the edge of the inevitable melee onslaught, but actually Goreshade's forces had a lot of ranged denial, from Occultation, extreme threat range on the Soul Hunters, Submerge on Wrongeye and Snapjaw and Force Barrier on the Satyxis.

Sooo... not a great plan. I figured I'd jam the Devastator in and see what happens.

Ultimately I panic when the Stealth Uhlans close in on my Rifles and pull them right back. Ryan gets ahead on Control Points and presses home his scenario advantage.

The large forest in the centre right of the board hinders both of us and creates a fulcrum around which the game pivots.

As scenario and attrition pressure starts choking me he does not lock down my Devastator, while Goreshade is hanging out near a house with no focus.

Strakhov has one chance! His Bokur slams Barathrum clear of his Devastator. Strakhov FEATS: IRON FIST! He casts Overrun on himself and slays a Bane, propelling the Devastator towards Goreshade himself. As the gigantic robot lumbers away, the Soul Hunter engaging him lashes out with furious anger, taking out its movement system.

Losing the free boost from the charge is sad, but the Devastator goes to town. When the dust settles, Goreshade is bloodied but unbowed, and Deathjack puts Strakhov in the dirt.

It was a very interesting game without any major derps, which is good. Tactically I could have committed to scenario better. Overall a great learning game!

W: 0 L: 1
    Last edited by Lacerto; 11-02-2016 at 02:55 PM.

Game 2 - Mercenaries

It was something about the vaulted arches filling the tiny board that drew my eye when I was scouting round for tables. Reminiscent of a Victorian train station, at one time full of coal smoke and steam. I asked James if he'd be willing to try Rumble and the deal was done. He decided he'd play whichever list was on top of his bag, and it was... Bartolo 1! A list with two Galleons. Hmm... this will be interesting.

Mercenary

75 / 75 Army

Captain Bartolo Montador - WJ: +26
    - Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator - PC: 4
    - Galleon - PC: 39 (Battlegroup Points Used: 26)
    - Galleon - PC: 39

Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile - PC: 4

The Commodore Cannon & Crew - Commodore & 3 Crewmen: 7
    Lady Aiyana & Master Holt - Lady Aiyana & Master Holt: 8
    I won the roll and picked first turn. I have no idea if that is an advantage! My plan was to send my heavies through the central channel and flank round the outside with Uhlans and Rifles.

Reinholdt uses his spyglass to spot an Occultation Uhlan, foiling my cunning plan to keep the Rifles safe with a Blizzard cloud. The Commodore pulps the noble warrior and his steed, and the Winterguard take some cannon fire from the Galleons.

I use the Devastator to keep the Galleon off Behemoth and James forgets about the Ogrun Bokur and catches him with the harpoon instead! Bartolo FEATS! We decide that his feat should be named slippery when wet, as it causes models to slip over when they enter or end their activation in his control area. I think I'll be fine as Superiority will keep my heavies standing.

However, I'm a bit distracted as I start my turn and I start my turn and kill Aiyana with Behemoth's bombard. I then remember that I'd planned to use Overrun to get the Juggernaut into the Galleon this turn and save my feat for next turn. Flustered, rather than reassessing I then decide I can wait it out and keep the Juggernaut and Strakhov back.

Obviously the Galleons then just trivially wreck or cripple my heavies.

I've managed to get ahead on scenario, but Reinholdt has started a flanking manoeuvre from the safety of the vault wall, and dashes out, disrupting Strakhov's work at the objective site.

James made a mistake which I absolutely fumbled, failed to capitalise on and ended up doing nothing. I was feeling a bit bad for not reminding James sooner about my shield guard, and it broke my concentration a bit. Loading the Devastator and Juggernaut would have taken a fair chunk of damage from the Galleon, although probably not killing it. I think one heavy has a chance of surviving though, perhaps finishing it off. Perhaps not. I may have been able to position Behemoth somewhere he could have avoided the drag, and in fact, backing him off would probably have worked out better for me than trying to trigger Overrun.

The Rumble format was fun. The scenario seemed quite live, since you can score both flags.

W: 0 L: 2

Yay for more Strakhov love. Shame about the losses. But double Galleon is not easy. Especially as Strak has no way of increasing damage.
    Final Mark II record 45W/0D/37L
    Mark III record 39W/0D/6L
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent100 View Post
    You've just been Decimated!
    Watch me fail at warmachine here! - http://privateerpressforums.com/show...ador!-(Poorly)

Hi Welshhoppo, with Khador heavies, Galleons don't have to be a massive issue, even under Batten down the Hatches. With a free charge, Behemoth is at straight dice, and should take about half off. With fire dice he could one round it solo. Provided you can get two heavies there...

If I'd been a smart player I'd have checked out Bart's feat and made sure the Juggernaut had Superiority rather than the Steady Devastator. I might have then been able to get Behemoth and the Juggernaut onto the Galleon with some better positioning. The drags are an issue. Maybe I need another Devastator or a Rager for the match-up?

Aye but there isn't much behemoth can't kill.

And one of the best ways to get around drag is stealthed models. They push until they contact another model, and with stealth you can't easily remove them at range. So you run some stealthed infantry in front of your jacks. And luckily, Strakhov has a spell that gives things stealth.

Also, I'd nearly always Superiority a Juggernaut over a Devastator, sure the extra speed is good, but you'll never use the mat bonus because you'll never try to hit much with it.
    Final Mark II record 45W/0D/37L
    Mark III record 39W/0D/6L
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent100 View Post
    You've just been Decimated!
    Watch me fail at warmachine here! - http://privateerpressforums.com/show...ador!-(Poorly)

Game 3 - Mercenaries

Mercenary

Theme: Operating Theater
    75 / 75 Army

Exulon Thexus - WJ: +29
    - Wrecker - PC: 14 (Battlegroup Points Used: 14)
    - Wrecker - PC: 14 (Battlegroup Points Used: 14)

Cephalyx Agitator - PC: 3
    Cephalyx Agitator - PC: 3

Cephalyx Dominator - PC: 1
    - Alexia Ciannor & the Risen - Alexia & 9 Risen Grunts: 10
    - Thrall Warrior
    Cephalyx Overlords - Leader & 2 Grunts: 0
    Cephalyx Overlords - Leader & 2 Grunts: 8
    Cephalyx Mind Bender & Drudges - Mind Bender & 5 Drudge Grunts: 7
    Cephalyx Mind Bender & Drudges - Mind Bender & 5 Drudge Grunts: 7
    Cephalyx Mind Slaver & Drudges - Slaver & 9 Drudge Grunts: 12
    James picks table edge as he wants to give me the pond, and I run up with my heavies centrally.

The Devastator runs to contest the flag. Perhaps I should have tried to Overrun him to a position where he can charge a Wrecker, but then he definitely dies at ARM 19.

A unit of Drudges ambushes my Uhlans, killing them easily with an adrenal flood combo from a flanking unit. Between a Thrall and the two Wreckers with an Agitator, the Devastator goes down. Thexus uses Telekinesis to turn the Juggernaut that was covering the Devastator around to block Behemoth in and make it harder to get the Juggernaut into play.

At this point, James has a sea of Drudges flooding towards me and threatening to overwhelm my positions. Strakhov is more than 21" away from Thexus (so no charge+feat). I do not consider Overrun on Strakhov, but I don't think assassination was an option this turn. The two Wreckers are protecting Thexus, so I'd also have needed to kill one to get the other heavy into position.

Instead Behemoth gets Overrun and moves the Juggernaut into position to attack the Wreckers, the Juggernaut gets Superiority, Strakhov FEATS, the Rifles get Bear's Strength from Joe and charge everything they can, killing some Drudges. The Greylords Stationary the left Wrecker. The Juggernaut walks up so that he can keep both Wreckers in his facing, but it takes all of his attacks to slay it (4 boxes from being able to put one attack on the Stationary one).

Can Strakhov survive the Drudge horde with no focus?

Thexus' Drudges brutally cut down my Rifles. The oversized brain FEATS, opening up charge lanes to Strakhov. The Juggernaut gets Telekinesis to move him away from the Wrecker. Three Drudges get Adrenal Flood moves... and the Wardog Counter-charges! The dog does good and kills a Drudge. I ponder between Returning to where he is to block the Wrecker, versus Returning to behind Strakhov to make him harder to remove. I decide to leave him there and pass the clock back to James. He has 7 minutes on his clock.

The Agitators move into position to where they can facilitate the attacks on Strakhov. The two surviving Adrenal Flood Drudges charge Strakhov and their Cephalyx leader charges the dog, killing him! The Drudges are unaffected by the Guard Dog bonus, but both manage to roll 4s, leaving the assassination up to the Wrecker.

A Risen manages to do 2 damage to the Wrecker, replenishing the Focus spent to shake Stationary. The Wrecker charges in and kills Strakhov. The sneaky commando's luck has run out at last. James has 3 minutes on his clock.

Starting to feel less rusty at last. Playing on clock brought back a lot of fun, but it's taken a few games to remember the stats and options necessary to do it. I had over 20 mins left on my clock, but that is still too slow. I might consider trying the Spriggan again. He has become so expensive in Mark 3, but Bulldoze plus high POW is a valuable combination. Being able to barge my way past the Wreckers might have bullied Thexus out of the kill box.

W: 0 L: 3

Game 4 - Minions

I was already part way through building a pair of Marauders when Siege Weapon got the upgrade. Chris "Active Player" Davies' Strakhov list looks like a lot of fun, so I wanted to test it out as something to take to SmogCon. While his list had Rifles and Widowmakers, I have previously found that quite a bit of infantry is immune to shooting. So instead I took the Greylords Ternion. The other choices were based on model availability.

Khador - Strakhov

75 / 75 Army

- Marauder - PC: 10 (Battlegroup Points Used: 10)
    - Marauder - PC: 10 (Battlegroup Points Used: 6)
    - Behemoth - PC: 25
    - Kodiak - PC: 13

Winter Guard Rifle Corps - Leader & 9 Grunts: 13
    Battle Mechaniks - Leader & 3 Grunts: 3
    Greylord Ternion - Leader & 2 Grunts: 7
    I was playing against a lovely and honest guy, but let's play this game as a thought experiment as to what happens when Maelok's feat grants Incorporeal for a round, rather than a turn (instead of as if we'd both misread Maelok's card!)

Minions - Maelok

75 / 75 Army

Maelok the Dreadbound - WB: +28
    - Blackhide Wrastler - PC: 16 (Battlegroup Points Used: 16)
    - Ironback Spitter - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 12)
    - Swamp Horror - PC: 14

Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress - PC: 4
    Ogrun Bokur - PC: 5
    Wrong Eye - Wrong Eye & Snapjaw: 17
    - Snapjaw
    Gatorman Witch Doctor - PC: 4

Gatorman Posse - Leader & 4 Grunts: 17
    Gatorman Bokor & Bog Trog Swamp Shamblers - Bokor & 9 Grunts: 11
    I set up the table to be asymmetric and theme-ish with the mat, including several houses, rubble and a.burning forest. We rolled Incursion. I lost the game roll and got to choose table edge. I decided I didn't want the largish forest in the middle of my edge, so took the town side. The defenders of Skarsbrook took up arms to stave off the wild beasts of the Veldt. I placed my Rifles against the Posse as I knew Wrongeye would be submerged all of the time.

The gators run up with Wrongeye on the left flag, the battle group centre and posse on the right.

Strakhov's strike force advance to where they'll get the alpha.

Maelok's forces swarm all three flags. He FEATS. For this game only, his entire army is Incorporeal (or submerged) so can only be harmed by magic attacks. Hmm... this is going to be an issue as only the Greylords and Strakhov himself have magic weapons.

I contest the left flag with a Greylord, the centre flag with the Kodiak and the right flag with 4 Rifles. The rest hang back.

I was hoping I'd get lucky with one of my Toughs, but the 4 Rifles die. The Kodiak gets smashed by a Raging Wrastler, and the squid takes a bunch of boxes from the Juggernaut, but only taking the left Fist arm. My opponent gets 3 Control Points.

I activate the Rifles and kill a few Posse. I then realise I should have sent a guy to contest. At this point I need to all in as my opponent is going to comfortably get 2 Control Points this turn.

I go deep in the tank and work out how the Marauder is going to kill Maelok. Unfortunately I've only given that Marauder a 2nd focus, and I've allocated 2 to the Juggernaut, rather than keeping 2 for Superiority. Anyway, Strakhov FEATS! Behemoth gets Overrun and bombards Lanyssa to death, moving the Marauder up. I make a play I am very pleased with and shoot a Shambler who is outside Shield Guard range, rather than Maelok directly. Sadly, the boosted dice -10 does nothing to the Warlock. The Marauder charges, takes a free strike from the Wrastler, boosts his charge attack roll on Maelok, and takes a good strip of damage off the Spitter with Maelok's single transfer. The second attack misses, needing natural 7s, and the third hits, putting a bunch of damage on Maelok.

I'm about to concede when my opponent reminds me that you can be within 4" to contest a flag. So the Juggernaut kills a Shambler blocking the right Marauder, then Calamaris the Swamp Horror. Impervious Flesh pervs just fine to single die+4.

The Marauder is then able to charge the damaged spitter and kill it in three strokes.

Snapjaw kills the last Ternion, and the Raging Wrastler kills the Marauder. My opponent goes to 5 Control Points.

Maelok is quite a ball buster when granting Incorporeal. Maybe I need Aiyana and Holt with Valachev, rather than Greylords?

Anyway, I think I still played it wrong. I should have recognised the Scenario threat posed by Wrongeye and sent a Marauder over to be punchbag for a couple of turns.

Given Maelok's relativlely low damage output, I probably should have jammed my battlegroup down his throat, used the Greylords to unjam, then forced a heavy through the Minion lines for the assassination.

It was a very fun game anyway, and worth it for the blushes when we were advised of the mistake!

W: 0 L: 4

Game 5 - Cryx

I was inspired by the Moose Machine/TDH60M podcast who talked to Best Coast Pairings. They were talking about running virtual tournaments using the software. The idea is that you play a round every week, so you can get a tournament done, just on game night. As someone with toddlers, this is much more of an option than a whole Sunday.

So I did it! Okay, so I didn't advertise it in advance, so initially only got 2 players. The 3rd has just signed up, so my first tournament gets 2 rounds without a bye! There's been interest in a repeat of this Slow Motion Tournament, so if you are local to Element Games in Stockport, UK, get in touch.

Anyway, the others played their game, and Duncan was able to stick around for a second game. He offered Scaverous and Asphyxious3. I offered Strakhov and Zerkova1. I wasn't really sure how Zerkova would go, so chose Strakhov, as he always has assassination as an out. Duncan chose Scaverous.

Cryx - Scaverous

75 / 75 Army

Effigy of Valor - Steamroller Objective

Lord Exhumator Scaverous - WJ: +27
    - The Withershadow Combine - Maelovus, Admonia & Tremulus: 9
    - Erebus - PC: 16 (Battlegroup Points Used: 16)
    - Deathripper - PC: 6 (Battlegroup Points Used: 6)
    - Deathripper - PC: 6 (Battlegroup Points Used: 5)

Captain Rengrave - PC: 5
    Machine Wraith - PC: 2
    Soul Trapper - PC: 1
    Warwitch Siren - PC: 4
    Saxon Orrik - PC: 4

Revenant Cannon Crew - Gunner & 2 Grunts: 4
    Revenant Cannon Crew - Gunner & 2 Grunts: 4
    Revenant Crew of the Atramentous - Leader & 5 Grunts: 9
    - Revenant Crew Rifleman - PC: 2
    Croe's Cutthroats - Leader & 9 Grunts: 16
    Cephalyx Overlords - Leader & 2 Grunts: 8
    With lots of Incorporeal and Stealth, I knew my Greylords Ternion would be key in the match-up. Just keep them safe!

We played Recon. Duncan won the roll and chose to go first.

I spread my battlegroup quite wide as I want to be able to contest the flags.

Scaverous urges his army forwards like a cancerous claw.

The Kodiak runs wide to contest the flag. The battlegroup run up in two waves. Joe's rockets kill a Croe with a lucky scatter.

The central Machine Wraith hits the Superiority Marauder and has it punch the other Marauder. The Cutthroats then shoot it in the back, severely damaging it, but not taking out the cortex.The right Deathripper runs up and Telekinesis moves the Kodiak out of Strakhov's control area. The Revanent Crew kill two of my Greylords who have moved up too aggressively. The other Deathripper runs up, but Scaverous has an arcane hiccup and rolls snake-eyes on his Feat of Worms, scattering far enough not to catch any Winterguard Riflemen. A lucky escape for the forces of righteousness.

After much vacillation, I use Behemoth's Sentry shot to be a pot shot at the Revanent Crew, since I'd need a 10 on the Machine Wraith. The Rocketeers kill some more Cutthroats with lucky scatters. The second Marauder walks up and kills the Machine Wraith instead. The damaged Marauder gets healed for 2 and slams a Cutthroat over Croe himself (although it turns out to be a double). My surviving Greylord misses the right Machine Wraith with his Frostbite.

Scaverous FEATS! His spells become discounted, and mine become more expensive. Telekinesis moves the undamaged Marauder, puts Feast of Worms on it, then Telekinesis moves the damaged Marauder into the Feast.

Croe's Cutthroats finish off the wounded Marauder. Erebus charges the Marauder, making it stationary with its Freezing Deathclaw, and heavily damaging it, crippling the cortex. The second Machine Wraith sends my Kodiak far far away down the right flank.

I feel the attrition pressure is on and that I need to assassinate. There are a few models blocking access of my Juggernaut to Scaverous. I forget to activate Joe, so carefully get every model I can to be able to take shots at the cannon with the Winterguard Rifles. They then kill it with the first shot.

Strakhov walks up to 12" from his foe, puts up Overrun on Behemoth and Superiority on the Juggernaut and FEATS! (Actually Duncan has to remind me!) He takes a potshot at Scaverous with his Riot gun, but misses. He decides to throw a Cinder Bomb at Erebus, but misses. Apparently that could have been funny if I'd hit as Erebus has Poltergeist, perhaps pushing me out of feat range!

Behemoth takes no chances and boosts his shot at a random Revanent mook, triggering Overrun. While shooting Rengrave looked tempting, I believe Sacrificial Pawn could have stopped Overrun from triggering. He takes his second shot at the Objective, but does no damage.

The Juggernaut has moved to a position from where he can see Scaverous and get into melee. He only has one focus, but gets a free charge from Iron Fist. At MAT 9 it has no problems hitting, and with some nice rolls slays Scaverous with his initials.

Duncan is a lovely opponent as always. The Machine Wraiths were really troublesome. He put a lot of pressure on me, and probably only lost by being too bold with his caster.

I knew my Greylords were important, but then played them too far up, and they paid with their blood. I managed to keep my Rifles safe and contributing. Although I felt like I was taking heavy attrition losses, I probably could have played a slightly longer game, as I had a lot of boxes remaining. After losing on scenario last game, I tried to defend the flag with a heavy which I ended up effectively losing. However, these flags can only be dominated, so it was all in vain.

Anyway, I'll take the win, and try to play better next time!

W: 1 L: 4

Conqueror

Nice seeing a fellow Strakov Player and nice seeing Battle Reports with him.

The biggest thing I am seeing threw your Battle reports is that you botch the activations. With Strakov especially its important to lay out a plan on what you wanna to this turn, and who needs what. Next step (or the one I am working on) is predicting what you will need where next round.

I find that you always have to chose you upkeeps wisely in the first round, because you rarely have the focus to cast them again (maybe Superiority).

Oh and focus more on scenario^^. I like to pretend to go for scenario and then Assasinate my opponent.

To the Lists: Strakov is very versatile. I like Ruin with him for Assasinations and I prefer melee Units, due to them profiting from his feat, but WGRC are definatly fine (also I prefer Widowmakers with Kell and WMM)

Thanks for the comments Skathrex. Haha, I generally do feel like I have a plan, at least for the turn; the plans just aren't very good. I do feel like I'm just slapping about to be honest, but it is hard to get any strong advice of how to play. If you have any specific suggestions of plays I made compared to what I did do, I'd be grateful to hear.

The list is my homage to Chris Davies, the Active Player and Triple Crown holder. The changes from his list are just down to model availability. I played my first tournament game with this list tonight, and have a second game after that, so I will consider changes after that.

Conqueror

Uff, I may not be the best person to advise you on "what you could have done better". I am in the learning phase of "always put Occultation on Strakov", because I loose to Casterkills quite often.
    It was just from your reports, or the way you wrote it, like you often started in the turn and halfway through you realise that you should or could have things diffrently (especially when to activate Strakov /Behemoth, for Overrun).

In game 1 against Cryx you stated your mistakes yourself. And anything else is to minor to notice for me (I presume the Devestator had full focus when trying to assasinate?)

Game 2 is the same. You realize your blunder and what most likely cost you the game. (although I would have tried to attack with Behemoth + Jugger to kill the colossal for sure, but not sure if possible). Because while Behemoth is great in triggering Overrun and in Shooting, he is even greater in Melee.

This continues on. You do learn from your games and see your mistakes, but it seems a bit you forget them next turn. (Happens to me 2. As mentioned before died 2 time to beeing shot, because I didn't put frecking Occultation on Strakov).

Thats why I said: "think your turns through" (and follow that line of thought). Also you should focus more on early Scenario. While its nice to sit back with WGRC and Behemoth and just shoot your opponent to bits in 2 of the games you were forced into supoptimal plays because you needed to contest.

To the List: I rarely "Netlist", but I won't say I know better then him. The List looks in no way bad, but I don't know why he took what he took. For what Matchups was his list designed? Was this his allcomers List? How does the expected Meta look?

For example at our local Meta we have almost no Cygnar or Cryx players, but a lot of Legion, Ret, Menoth. So my list will most likely run AKs (against Menoth and Legion) and Ruin and Orin (against Ret).
    But I do have the problem that my Lists always feature to many expensive Jacks, and are rather small because of that. I will try his List for sure.

Another Point with Strakov and Lists is, that I feel, that he can play diffrent strategies with diffrent lists. Chris Davies list looks a lot more attrition focused, but there are several Lists with Strakov that include Behemoth and Beast for the best possible Assasination potential. Currently I am not sure how I want to play him myself.

Hi Skathrex, thanks for the additional thoughts.

Ahah, I see what you meant, I thought you'd seen some plays I should have been making. Yes, I did have some awkward moments. I do always consider whether to put Occultation on Strakhov after one very unfortunate affair with a Prime Axiom!

So I was inspired to see if Chris Active Player would be able to offer some advice, and being an absolute gent, he obliged.

So some thoughts about list building:

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken_Slayer
    So first up I take almost no units that benefit from the feat for delivery (Cavalry for instance) and play quite Jack heavy. If I do take units, they're primarily for shooting. The reason for all this is that I find Strakhov's more powerful game is actually in his Overrun combo, and the ability to use it as long as possible is what I find best about him.

Also if you feat, deliver a bunch of **** then don't wipe your opponent out you will in turn get swept off the table by casters with better damage buffs, now that you've delivered yourself on a silver platter.

There's a lot you can do but a starting package of Juggernaut, Behemoth and Marauder go a long way. Riflemen and Snipers are also key because they're how you solve the damage problem with Strakhov a lot of the time: they give you models to soften up a target or finish if off. Redline being another solution I've done from time to time. General recommended jack to put on Andrei is either a shooting jack or Ruin. Ruin can eat souls to fuel himself so if you throw him 15" up the table, Andrei can take off in the opposite direction and Ruin will still be able to get focus from the board and continue punching stuff if they don't kill him.

For my part, here's my current list. Truth be told it started as a bit of a joke, having Andrei run a Destroyer. It's not been terrible, in fact it might be worth keeping, but usually I prefer Ruin if I'm taking Andrei or simply running everything off of Strakhov. For a more simple version cut them both and put in Torch.

Khador Army - 75 / 75 points

(Strakhov 1) Kommander Oleg Strakhov [+28]
    - Behemoth [25]
    - Juggernaut [12]
    - Juggernaut [12]
    - Marauder [10]
    Kovnik Andrei Malakov [4]
    - Destroyer [14]
    Kovnik Jozef Grigorovich [4]
    Winter Guard Rifle Corps (min) [8]
    - Winter Guard Rocketeer (3) [6]
    Gobber Tinker [2]
    Gobber Tinker [2]
    Armory (Steamroller) [0]
    Widowmaker Marksman [4]

Realistically, I think he's a bit off-meta kinda like pSorscha: it's hard to figure out matchups with him a lot of the time cause he's pretty unique. Great fun though and powerful in his own right.
    And on playing Strakhov:

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken_Slayer
    Reading briefly those reports, the big thing to me is that when you feat with Strakhov, if you're not 100% ending the game that turn the primary purpose of Overrun is to move Strakhov backwards so that he's safe from harm, since otherwise he's generally about to get eaten by something or shot to death.

The other thing too would be putting Sentry on Strakhov and using the maintenance phase shot to throw Smoke Bombs at your jacks or fire immune models. This way you can make a cloud wall for Strakhov to hide behind.

Marauders I find primarily useful on feat turn to put a Combo slam into something in support of a jack with 3 focus: can get a free Charge, boost to hit then pull off a POW 20 + 4D6 slam. Then when the target is KD'd you can follow up with some Rockets or a sniper shot to pick out the column.

Also, treat your first Juggernaut like a "ranged attack". i.e. you want to apply that sucker to a valuable target of your opponent's early using Overrun. Gives you good tempo and is pretty strong in a lot of the shooting based matchups like Cygnar: being able to pull that off to deliver a Juggernaut to a cluster of Hunters or Dynamo is totally worth it. Just try not to die in the process :P

Game 6 - Trollbloods

Round 1 of the January Slow Motion tournament at Element Games, Stockport, UK. I have brought Strakhov 1 and Zerkova 1 which are casters I'm considering taking to SmogCon.

I'm paired against David, who has been playing in New Zealand for the last 6 months. As most of his models are still being shipped, he has a single box with exactly two lists; Ragnor 1 and Horgle 2. Both lists have at least 1 Mountain King, so I'm fairly sure I don't have enough hitting power in my Zerkova 1 list.

Trollblood

75 / 75 Army

Ragnor Skysplitter, the Runemaster - WB: +30
    - Mountain King - PC: 36 (Battlegroup Points Used: 30)
    - Mountain King - PC: 36
    - Troll Axer - PC: 10

Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes - Leader & 3 Grunts: 6
    Northkin Fire Eaters - Leader, Trollkin Grunt, and Pyg Grunt: 7
    Trollkin Warders - Leader & 2 Grunts: 10
    This round is Recon; a single 12" zone is marked by an objective each end. Flags can be Dominated for 1 CP. I lose the roll and David opts to go first. The table is symmetrical; I choose the side where the house is slightly further out.

My plan is that I want to try to pivot left around the left gargantuan, or right around the right to buy a little time to kill one. But with the narrow field of play bisected by the objective, it's going to be tricky.

The trolls run up.

With Rush and RNG 2 big meaty fists, the Kings threaten 12" just with melee attacks. But my heavies threaten 8" base, 10" with Superiority plus 4" or 6" with Overrun. On paper, Strakhov's feat fixes this by adding 4". But on the table I feel unlikely to kill the King I go for in 1 turn, so being 12" from a bulldozing gargantuan seems awful. And in any case, triggering Overrun by killing a model is going to be a tricky business in such a hardy, low model count list.

So I advance up cautiously.

Ragnor puts Earth's Blessing on the Fire Eaters, giving them Dig In. Now David's most forward warriors are resistant to shooting.

The Mountain Kings are also very cautious and advance only a little way.

I umm and aah for a little while, but I can't see a way to get more than one heavy onto a Gargantuan if I feat, so go with the Overrun plan. The left Marauder doesn't have Superiority, but I don't really need to swap it over. Behemoth gets Overrun and the Marauder gets full focus. Behemoth needs to walk to target the Dug In Fire Eaters who are DEF 17 in cover. I cannot roll either of two boosted 13s, so Overrun does not trigger. I move the Marauder up anyway as I want to discourage the assassination.

It's wrecking time! Ragnor FEATS! I get to roll one fewer die on damage rolls for a round. His Mountain Kings embrace their Rage, assault, set fire to my Rifles and Mechanics, and punch my Marauders to death.

Urgh. One die fewer against Mountain Kings. Hmm. I place proxy bases everywhere, but I've placed my Kodiak so wide that I can't get Superiority on him, which I need to get the Kodiak on Ragnor. Even if I was 0.5" closer, I do not kill him at one less die unless I throw fire. It's all over other than the crying.

David kills the Juggernaut and Behemoth and wins on scenario.

Yeowch, what a punishment, almost tabled! I think I lost this at deployment. The matchup was worse than I thought, due to the lack of Overrun targets. What might have worked could have been running all of the Jacks at one Mountain King. He probably can't kill more than Behemoth in one turn. The survivors may be able to shelter behind that Mountain King during feat turn. Then lose 1-2 more heavies and get jammed by the infantry. Then go for the assassination. Not a great plan, but maybe better?

After this game I got some tips from Chris Davies. Next game will go better!

W: 1 L: 5

Game 7 - Cryx

Okay, so I was warned that Strakhov has a rough matchup into line of sight denial. But wanted to try out the new tactics. I managed to get a game against Ryan whilst visiting my head office. Ryan is playing the recently improved Asphyxious2.

Cryx - Asphyxious 2

75 / 75 Army

Lich Lord Asphyxious - WJ: +28
    - Stalker - PC: 8 (Battlegroup Points Used: 8)
    - Stalker - PC: 8 (Battlegroup Points Used: 8)
    - Cankerworm - PC: 9 (Battlegroup Points Used: 9)
    - Deathripper - PC: 6 (Battlegroup Points Used: 3)

Gorman Di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist - PC: 4

Croe's Cutthroats - Leader & 9 Grunts: 16
    Bane Warriors - Leader & 5 Grunts: 10
    Bane Warriors - Leader & 5 Grunts: 10
    Satyxis Gunslingers - Leader & 2 Grunts: 7
    Satyxis Raiders - Leader & 9 Grunts: 16
    - Satyxis Raider Sea Witch - PC: 3
    We're playing Close Quarters. I lose the starting roll and pick the side with the hill rather than the building. There is a field of corn in the middle of the table that is rough terrain which grants concealment, but does not block line of sight.

Ryan's marauding forces run up behind a billowing cloud wall.

Under pro tutilage from Ryan, the Kodiak tramples up then Vents Steam. I plan to throw a Cinder Bomb at Behemoth to create a cloud wall in front of Strakhov, but activate Strakhov first so that Behemoth is not in position. I'm not too concerned at this stage, as I'm expecting to be out of threat. While Chris' advice is to put Sentry on Strakhov to create the cloud, I'm not particularly expecting to be shot and would like to try for some Behemoth drifts.

The Superiority Marauder is just out of threat of the Machine Wraiths.

The Satyxis Pistoleers shoot two Bane Warriors to create a 15" cloud wall butted up against the right forest. Everything consolidates to counter-strike positions.

I can see zero enemies so opt not to take the Sentry shot. Probably world champion was right...

I go into the tank probably for 10 mins. Sorry Ryan! I can Trample a Marauder through the cloud wall, but only get to one or two warriors. And if I overrun a jack, it still won't be able to charge. The Kodiak can Trample up, but is then just buying attacks on Cankerworm and it immediately gets kissed on the face by Huggy the friendly Machine Wraith.

Anyway, I just start activating guys. I run a mechanic into the cloud wall to act as a targeting beacon for Behemoth. He shoots, hoping for a good scatter, but manages to hard roll the unboosted 10 I need to kill my little spotter on the first shot! The Marauder kills a couple of guys. The Kodiak does one punch to Cankerworm. I move one Greylord up to kill the Machine Wraiths gathering on the other side of the forest, forgetting that I can't see things 3" away through.

My Kodiak and Marauder melt away. The Satyxis run to engage. The Machine Wraith scores a control point. Ryan gets a 12" cloud up, dipping into the forest. A Stalker jams the Juggernaut.

The Winterguard unjam themselves a little. The Marauder gets Overrun and charges the pesky Machine Wraith, killing it and sending Superiority Behemoth into the breach. Behemoth kills the flag Machine Wraith and shoots the Deathripper, crippling it's arc node. Gorman is outside 5" unfortunately. Maybe it would have been worth trying to get the short scatter.

Last edited by Lacerto; 01-25-2017 at 06:33 AM.

Behemoth gets a Rust bomb and dismantled by the Banes. The Satyxis make mincemeat of the Rifles. The second Stalker jams the Juggernaut. For another turn. Ryan goes to 2 control points.

I've got barely anything left on my clock, but on the plus side, almost everything's dead. The Juggernaut kills the Stalker. The Rifles kill some Satyxis and Strakhov runs towards Asphyxious in the hope that Ryan rolls a hundred 1s, or some such! I have 90 seconds left on my clock. Ryan goes to 3 control points.

The game is over. For fun, Asphyxious claims Strakhov's soul for his own.

Ryan is such a gent; always a pleasure. I knew it would be rough going in, but now I've seen for myself. Ryan pointed out that Strakhov sees through clouds. There could have been something I could have done, using the Riot Gun to bring more of a brick into the cloud wall. I definitely need more magic weapons. Maybe it would have been worth trying something like the games in Ender's Game, where all of the jacks just run up with Strakhov inside, ignore casualties and try to force my way to the caster. Risky is better than unplayable!

W: 1 L: 6

Eater of Brains Warcaster Feiss's Avatar

Entertaining game I did ponder a few times advancing Lich up to help weigh in with his own melee prowess, but I know Strakhov can manage some janky angles with Overrun and such, so aborted that plan!

Shameful display on the painting front from me, hoping to sort that before SmogCon and get my Lich2 list painted up! Amongst other things...

Yeah, I did measure up for the assassination run at one point and it was about an inch out. I think you were placed perfectly. I do feel silly for not even considering the Alchemical Mask play. I think I could have got a Battering Ram off on the left Machine Wraith, then using overrun to get the Kodiak onto Cankerworm with both his initials.

I wonder how Butcher3 plays into the LOS denial plan. Just walking through, tanking the retailation, then murdering the world.

Ah yeah, so much painting to do. Toying with the idea of picking up the battle engine for the theme force, but I don't think I could get it assembled in time, let alone painted, plus everything else to finish.

Eater of Brains Warcaster Feiss's Avatar

Tried a different list against Butcher3 the week before, he lost on scenario.

It's a really weird matchup though, as I need to keep a Stalker or Gorman alive to keep the Lich2 Feat Assassination threat live (via headbutt or Blind) but while they're around its harder for Butcher to come out to play. Butcher3 in theme with cheap Sac Pawns around seems scary good though!

Conqueror

Too bad, that looks like 2 really bad matchups.

I have problems dealing with 1 MK myself. Currently I am trying to figure out how to include more Armor cracking in my list, but I am not sure how.

The second matchup of course could be handled with Torch + AKs, but they are highly Situational.

Maybe you could have gotten Overruns from killing stuff with you trampeling Kodiak to get a 3rd Jack in. And maybe you should have just tried to protect your WG a bit. A Mistake I often make myself is just leaving them out without anything to stop Units from attacking them.

Edit: OH and btw thx for bringing us the insight of Chicken_Slayer!
    Last edited by Skathrex; 01-25-2017 at 05:26 AM.

Warcaster Feiss, I need to check out your blog and get some good Butcher 3 tech. Barely played that guy since last SmogCon. I intended to do write ups for all of my games, but there were so many I was discouraged to start, then MK3 dropped!

Skathrex, as you say, there may be answers with Strakhov, but they are probably too situational. I think I will progress with my plan of trying Aiyana and Holt with Valachev and try messing about with Butcher 3 in theme.

Game 8 - Cryx

Round 2 of the January Slow Motion tournament at Element Games, Stockport, UK. I have brought Strakhov 1 and Zerkova 1 which are casters I was considering taking to SmogCon. The Slow Motion tournament means that we played the rounds on consecutive weeks, so we locked into lists several weeks ago. With the theme force dropping recently, Duncan was excited to try out the new theme force. Since we were the losers bracket, I was happy for him to switch lists. I made a couple of changes to my list to give me a little more control, and to try out Ruin on Malakov.

Khador

75 / 75 Army

- Marauder - PC: 10 (Battlegroup Points Used: 10)
    - Marauder - PC: 10 (Battlegroup Points Used: 6)
    - Behemoth - PC: 25

Kovnik Andrei Malakov - PC: 4
    - Ruin - PC: 17
    Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor - PC: 5
    Gorman Di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist - PC: 4

Winter Guard Rifle Corps - Leader & 5 Grunts: 8
    Duncan chose Deneghra 1 to lead the Ghost Fleet. With a mostly Incorporeal army I was going to have some issues. Maybe Zerkova would have been a better drop, but she would have been having to super-solo it anyway.

Cryx - Deneghra 1

Theme: The Ghost Fleet
    75 / 75 Army

Warwitch Deneghra - WJ: +28
    - Seether - PC: 13 (Battlegroup Points Used: 13)
    - Nightmare - PC: 18 (Battlegroup Points Used: 15)
    - Deathripper - PC: 6
    - Nightwretch - PC: 7

Wraith Engine - PC: 15

Pistol Wraith - PC: 0
    Captain Rengrave - PC: 5
    Pistol Wraith - PC: 0

Blackbane's Ghost Raiders - Blackbane & 9 Grunts: 17
    Revenant Crew of the Atramentous - Leader & 9 Grunts: 16
    We played Close Quarters. One side had a hill. The other had a house. There were a couple of forests near the centre line. I won the starting roll. As I believe that Deneghra has a good scenario game I opted to play first so that I could race my jacks into position for her feat turn. Duncan picked the hill side.

I race up. Duncan races up, leading with the Ghost Raiders. Deneghra pushes left towards her Cryxian flag.

The Ghost Raiders are a real nuisance. There's no way I can trigger Overrun, and there's no landing zone next to the Seether anyway. Malakov loads Ruin up and charges the Wraith Engine, killing it easily. He kills a nearby Ghost Raider. Since Orin will definitely die if I send him to fight Blackbane's Ghost Raiders, I send him right to kill the Pistol Wraith.

The Superiority Marauder runs up towards the Seether. The Seether counter charges and does a good hit to the Marauder. But exciting, there is a model I can affect! Strakhov swaps Superiority onto the second Marauder, who charges up combo-smiting the Seether. A 4+ would slam it into the obstruction for the additional die, but I roll 3". Behemoth and the Rifles take shots at it for some additional damage.

It's payback time. Deneghra walks up to the flag and FEATS. My heavies get Withered by -2 to their stats and cannot run, charge make special attacks. I'm glad I committed as heavily as I did! She also puts Parasite on the lead Marauder.

The Ghost Raiders charge; one is able to just reach Orin and kills him, enslaving his spirit to Blackbane's crew. The same fate befalls two brave Rifles.

Not quite sure why people are down on the Revenant crew. Four Revenants charge Ruin at ARM 18 under feat, and with 2 attacks and Gang remove most of his boxes. The Deathripper is able to finish off the last few boxes of the mighty jack.

Nightmare selects the lead Marauder as Prey, and at dice +4 tears massive chunks from it until nothing remains but wreckage. It then turns its attention to the second Marauder, crippling its cortex.

Strakhov allocates 1 to Behemoth and 1 to the Juggernaut. Strakhov uses his Cinder Bomb Sentry shot at the Ghost Raiders, killing some corporeal ones. I spend some time planning how to get the SPD 2 Juggernaut onto the Seether, but it turns out he's only got a few boxes left. The Rifles are able to kill it.

The Marauder shifts to make space for the Juggernaut to attack Nightmare. I take a free strike from a Ghost Raider which chops off an arm. Careless. It does some reasonable attacks on Nightmare, but no combo-smite!

Strakhov puts Superiority on the Juggernaut so that it can reach Nightmare. He then decides to go crazy, advancing out to engage two Ghost Raiders. I realise I REALLY need Sprint, so boost, as needing 6s is really risky. I then buy another and boost to hit, then sprint away, left on just 1 focus.

The Juggernaut does some reasonable damage on Nightmare, but the wicked machine is not out yet. Behemoth kills the Pistol Wraith lurking in the forest. He misses the Nightwretch.

The Nightwretch runs up to near Strakhov. Deneghra arcs Scourge at him, knocking him down. Three Revenant Long Guns are all it takes to put him to bed.

Whoops! Well, sometimes you just send your caster on a suicide mission for no reason. Probably engaging one guy would have been better, or maybe just camping and closing in on Deneghra would have been best. Anyway, lack of magic weapons is an issue. Everyone says that Cryx is out of the meta, but not here! Aiyana and Holt in! Didn't feel like a ridiculously unfavourable match-up for me. If I can avoid being assassinated, I'll probably be fine. One thing that would have helped would have been setting Ruin against the enemy objective. Parasite is a real pain, and Sacred Ward helps a lot. Not knowing that Blackbane is the source of the Ghost Raiders respawning is something which is useful to know. Orin could probably have sniped out Blackbane, which would have been a fine trade. Duncan said he'd set the Wraith Engine as a trap for Ruin, but I'm not sure I want a huge base feasting on my front line anyway.

Fun times! I'll get you next time Deneghra!

W: 1 L: 7
    Last edited by Lacerto; 01-27-2017 at 11:04 PM.