Default Lucant's Iron Tide (aka: Miserable Metal Mountain re-envisioned)

So, I've been using Lucant fairly regularly over the last little while and used
    him to great success at a tournament. It was in a list originally forged by
    the one & only Archnomad. Having played it for a bit I was interested in trying
    to run Almost exclusively Vectors...b/c, well, I think Vectors are cool!

So, I put together the following list:
    (Lucant 1) Father Lucant, Divinity Architect [+28]
    - Corollary [6]
    - Inverter [15]
    - Cipher [16]
    - Galvanizer [5]
    - Galvanizer [5]
    - Galvanizer [5]
    - Galvanizer [5]
    - Galvanizer [5]
    - Galvanizer [5]
    - Galvanizer [5]
    - Galvanizer [5]
    - Galvanizer [5]
    - Galvanizer [5]
    - Diffuser [6]
    - Diffuser [6]
    Optifex Directive [4]

So, obviously the Inverter and the Cipher get the serious armor-cracking
    done. The Inverter's pretty straight forward, eh? Nuff said.

I originally took the Cipher b/c with double inverters I was left staring
    at that damned 74pts and pouting. But I have to say, a couple of shots from
    its servopot mortar every turn is pretty damn sweet: one of the variables
    will usually work against whichever army you find yourself up against. Also,
    b/c its max threat is 10" (assuming Beacon from a Diffusor) many players
    will safely skirt its threat range, which means they may not be able to commit
    their heavy hitters exactly as they'd want to. A little bit of psychological warfare
    never hurt, right? I just came from a game where the Menoth player stymied
    their own Scourge of Heresy and Guardian by keeing it out of charge range, hoping
    for an alpha strike, only to have the Cipher drop difficult terrain in front of them and
    then tie them up with a couple of Galvanizers. No big loss for us, and a turn later
    the Cipher can easily get up there and engage.

Finally, that servopod mortar is really good for pushing focus around as we move
    up the board, and making sure that the right amount makes it to the right models.

The two Diffusors are there to give increased threat range to...just about
    everything in the group. When stationed well, everything can benefit
    from them. Smart opponents will keep stuff back so we can't Beacon it,
    but that just plays into the list's strength. If they keep back around 12", so that
    the Galvanizers can't get there even with a Beacon, I usually just
    run them up, which means opponents often don't get the min. 3" charges
    they need. If they keep their jacks back even further, they run the risk of
    a weak position on scenario.

As for the flood of Galvanizers. They do what they do pretty well, actually, which
    is Jam and mop up—oh, and shield guard!

Also, with so many Galvanizers, moving focus around is fairly straightforward, and
    it's pretty difficult to get a stack of focus stranded on a flank if you pay a modicum
    of attention to activation. I'll admit that there's a lot of Galvanizers so most players
    will probably need to proxy one or two, but if you're opponent is okay with that, then
    you're good to go. And, after all, what the heck else are you going to use your Mitigators
    for if not to proxy a model you'll actually field :-P

One trick I've definitely learnt is to place Positive Charge on a Galvanizer behind your
    frontline: first you activate all the Vectors in front of it so that they benefit from the
    +2/+2 (make sure you induct at least one focus onto the PSed Galvanizer). Then
    it runs behind the line of scrimmage from one side to the other and stops where
    vectors on that side can benefit from the spell as well. This takes some practice,
    but it really helps the rest of your Galvanizers hit above their weight class and the
    benefits to the heavies are obvious.

And the OD? Well, ya just gotta have the three amigos there, they've saved my
    bacon on more than one occasion by repairing a damaged interface node, giving
    pathfinder when needed a magical damage. Unsung heroes, I tell ya!
    Last edited by GearJammer; 11-10-2016 at 03:14 AM.

Very intersting list. I like it.

Me too, let us know how it worked out on the battlefield!

So far, so good. I'm 4:0.

I'm really enjoying the flare on the Cipher, especially against armies like
    Circle, which are DEF-level difficult :-S

I have experimented with dropping one Galvanizer for an ADO and some Accretion
    Servitors. The idea being to have an alternate way of delivering Positive Charge
    from Lucant in case you need to stay back. This came in particularly handy in a
    battle vs. Reznik1 as I could let daddy hang back and keep his focus. The Accretion
    Servitors are there to make up points, but solos can contest/control flags and on
    feat turn their repair get's plus two. That's not nothin' :-)

The little Galvanizer running across the board to shift Positive Charge also
    works pretty well. In practice, it usually turns out being a Diffusor doing the
    side-to-side shuffle while the Galvanizers pile in, but the theory is the same.

You can also safely sacrifice pieces and hurt too much for it. I recently played this
    list into Trolls with a Mountain King. I just ended up a letting a Galvanizer act as a punching
    bag each turn (well, really just a scrap pile by the time the MK was done with it). By game's
    end the Gargantuan had wrecked 3 Galvanizers, but done little else. I'm okay with that.

Also, with such a large battle group, placement for shield guard is almost subconscious.
    Against that same Troll army, the caster, Calandra, cast befuddle on my Invertor. She
    moved it up and turned it around, then proceeded to fire free with an entire unit of Highway
    Men + Braylen (sc. Backstabber). And it wasn't Lucant's feat turn :-(. Galvanizers to the
    rescue! There were enough around to soak up something like 8-9 boosted damage rolls
    and leave the Invertor with all systems go!

Also, the list continues to be fun to play, which is important for me when I
    come to the table. Enough for me to purchase the remaining Galvanizer models
    so that I won't need to proxy them with other models.

One suggestion: have some tokens to represent shield guard. This'll make it
    easier to differentiate which of your models are still able to soak a hit for another
    without wracking your brain as you try to stay honest b/c, let's face it, your opponent
    won't be able to keep track of who's SG-ed, most of them can't even tell our
    Vectors apart—the poor unenlightened ;-)

That would be hilarious to *SEE* on a tabletop. I'd watch the whole game.

Convergence Battle-box instruction link

"Players gonna play, haters gonna hate, elves gonna murder all your mages." -PG_Deranith

Quote Originally Posted by Prismatik View Post
    That would be hilarious to *SEE* on a tabletop. I'd watch the whole game.
    As would i! That sounds like a hella fun list... i wish there was a cute way we could proxy, like with cardboard cut outs, so that we'd know if a list was worth investing cash into.

Thanks for the battle report, good to hear that the list is successful by now!

Quote Originally Posted by PiperMacB View Post
    Thanks for the battle report, good to hear that the list is successful by now!
    Happy to let you know how it works. Actually, I'm rarin' to see how it does now that Lucant's spell has been changed to the +2 armour. Stay tuned!

Combatant

Any tricks to float more than one focus the a swarm of galvanizers charging in beyond 6 inches or do you just stick to one.focus?

Quote Originally Posted by Jest View Post
    Any tricks to float more than one focus the a swarm of galvanizers charging in beyond 6 inches or do you just stick to one.focus?
    This can be an issue, I won't lie but there're a couple of ways to keep focus flowing well.

•First is—unsurprisingly—placement. It really pays to stagger your frontline after the first turn. as you can then load up a vector further back and have them charge to engage and transfer back the focus to a vector in the front line.

•Use the Diffusors well: they likely won't be/shouldn't be in melee, so you can often use them to push focus around by walking them forward and boosting to hit and damage, then inducting the focus where you want it to go next.

•Charge on angles: this lets you hopscotch focus back-and-forth along your line. For example: charging an enemy straight-ahead will usually put a vector out of induction range, but charging something obliquely will often position the activating vector w/in 6" of an as yet unactivated vector. And don't forget that the OD can give a Galvanizer Pathfinder and that a Diffusor can help increase the charge range. Then the next vector can charge on a different angle to pass the focus back. This can also be confusing for opponents, who may think you have some masterplan in mind as you do this; the reality is the list is fairly homogenous, so it doesn't really matter which of the light vectors are where.

•Don't forget that vectors in the back, ones that don't look like they can get into combat, can always just bash your own vectors, they will also allow them to induct focus where it needs to go. Similarly, if you start with the Corollary giving focus out to three vectors who are in the back, they can move up, bash three vectors in order to load up a single vector, that will wade into melee and be able to induct that focus where it needs to go.

•Finally, the sheer number of vectors the list supports usually means that you shouldn't have the problem beyond the 2nd turn of the game (after the 1st turn, in which you usually just need to induct the one focus for your army to run forward/unpack itself)

I hope that helps, Jest. Let me know whether anything's unclear and I'll do my best to clear it up.

Combatant

Ahh the bashing your own is interesting, great trick!

Ahh the bashing your own is interesting, great trick!
    It is! but I can't take any credit for it; the Constellation showed me the wise ways of the CoC's patented "bash & pass" back when I was a lowly neophyte trying to transfer from my Corollary.

Combatant

How have you faired with this list vs. big beast alpha strike type opponents? I'm running a Synth jack list and I'm finding that big beasts with animi are bigger faster are tough to deal with my low model count (he aloha strikes a couple heavies down and I'm at half strength).

Disclaimer: I'm very new and probably have horrible tactics.

Tried this list against Goreshade1 (the guy who brings back a min unit of banes) and it went terribly. The Armor skew was mincemeat to all the banes he brought. But I think in a different match-up it would have been great.

How have you faired with this list vs. big beast alpha strike type opponents? I'm running a Synth jack list and I'm finding that big beasts with animi are bigger faster are tough to deal with my low model count (he aloha strikes a couple heavies down and I'm at half strength).

Disclaimer: I'm very new and probably have horrible tactics.
    Hey, Jest. The list I'm using s strictly for Lucant; I wouldn't run Syntherion with it at all. Regarding your Question about big beast alpha, here're my strategy w/ this list. If you find yourself up against a Collosal/Gargantuan, toss it a galvanizer: medium bases can't be trampled and once in combat a galvanizer's def becomes 16 to anyone trying to hit it from range. I kept a Mountain King tied up for for most of a game by feeding it a steady diet of galvanizers for 2-3 turns. That's a great point trade no mater how you look at it and you can bet that your opponent's model count will be lower than yours if he's invested in a huge-based jack/warbeast.

If you're facing lots of heavy jacks/beasts, than you should use the galvanizers to Jam and follow up with your heavies. Use the diffusors to increase your threat range/spd (suddenly the Cipher threatens 10" and the Inverter 11"—that's not blindingly fast, but it's still pretty respectable, especially under feat turn, when you shouldn't take too much damage). Hard-hitting beasts is what it is, that's why Lucant's feat is so good. If you can weather the alpha, then your vectors should be in a great position to induct focus across the line. This means that a good chunk your Galvanizers should get off 2-3 attacks at P+S 14 (factoring in Positive Charge) and your big boys are hitting at P+S 20-22. Also, don't forget that Lucant hits like a truck (P+S 16 or 18 w/ a positively charged vector nearby). So, you've got a 3rd heavy hitter in your list, if you need it. And let's face it, Lucant's often better when in melee b/c, as a large base model, he's more easily targeted by range (though his Shield Guard field marshall ability usually mitigates this).

Quote Originally Posted by javaman21011 View Post
    Tried this list against Goreshade1 (the guy who brings back a min unit of banes) and it went terribly. The Armor skew was mincemeat to all the banes he brought. But I think in a different match-up it would have been great.
    Yep, Weapon's Master is a thing. I haven't played against Goreshade1. Did he bring the full FA? That's pretty nasty no matter what. If I come across it, I'll be wary!

Quote Originally Posted by GearJammer View Post
    Yep, Weapon's Master is a thing. I haven't played against Goreshade1. Did he bring the full FA? That's pretty nasty no matter what. If I come across it, I'll be wary!
    Well playing something into it's worst conceivable kind of matchup will always be hard

I was thinking about something to deal with the Bane Warriors. I wonder whether dropping a Galvanizer or two for a min/max unit of Eradicators might even the odds a bit: 10 Pow 12 attacks at Mat 9 (or Pow 14 at MAT 11, factoring in Positive Charge). You should be able to get the unit up the field, too, using the their other Variable, they're armour will be 17 (19 w/ Deceleration, 23 w/ Decel and Feat). You'll want to hit the Bane Warriors before they hit you, of course, but...after checking with the Constellation...that's pretty much universally true :-D

Again the matchup isn't great, but if you're looking for something even the odds and keep the Vector spam, why not. I might give it a try myself.

As the list will have problems with anything that brings a higher model count Eradicators are a good idea. But they, too, are perfect targets for any kind of model with Bane Warrior offensive stats. Few, expensive, high arm, melee only models are exactly what they want to punch.
    Weaponmasters kill any infantry they touch anyway so take guys that are relatively worthless or hard to touch. A unit of Reductors or multiple Clockwork Angel units are the exact opposite of that. They attack from range and are hard to hit. 11" is not much but still further than Banes can charge without help and they should never be able to get Angels as long as they stay at range. Granted: Angels don't kill that many dudes at once and both types of units have only RAT 5.

I will try your list tomorrow and will let you know how it worked out :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Hjard View Post
    Well playing something into it's worst conceivable kind of matchup will always be hard
    Indeed! It was a hard lesson learned. Had I brought IMD, 3 Assimilators and a PA I would have easily won. His list consisted of:
    2x Stalkers
    2x Reapers
    1x Deathripper (for arc noding)
    1 unit of Bane Warriors with Officer and Standard (i don't remember if it was a full unit)
    a minor warlock (looked like a crocodile with a tophat) and attached warbeast (giant croc with POW 16 i think)
    Necrotech
    Scrapthralls
    Necrosurgeon and Stich Thralls
    Mechanithralls

It was a scenario with the central circular zone in the middle and 2 flags on either side. I had a forest in front of me and not much else, he had a wall near his side which he eventually used to hide Gore behind. He went first and turns 1 and 2 we moved into position. At the end of my 2nd i feated because he was in charge range of a lot of my galvanizers. I think he took out 1 or 2 of them that turn. I counter-attacked but couldn't remove enough banes to make a difference. I was able to get the Inverter up the field to remove one of the Reapers. I crippled a Stalker with the galvanizers and trampled over one of my OD to get to the other Reaper with the Cipher. Then on turn 3 he feated, brought in a min unit of banes and removed my Cipher, Inverter and 3 other galvanizers. With half my army gone and 10-12 banes looking for Lucant to kill i conceded.

So, as promised, I tried exactly your list yesterday at our local gamers club. I faced a very mobile Menoth list:

Thyra, Flame of Sorrow
    Hierophant
    Blood of Martyrs
    Scourge of Heresy
    Allegiant of the Order of the Fist x 2
    Vassal Mechanik
    Wrack x 2
    Choir of Menoth full
    Daughters of the Flame x 2
    Flame Bringers
    Rhupert
    Idrian Skirmishers full
    Covenant of Menoth

Scenario: Incursion

The game was fun, I managed to kill everything except the Skirmishers, the mechanic, the choir and the Piper but lost via scenario 0:5 because I made one major mistake in the end by not moving one Diffuser near a flag. I would have killed his caster the next turn.

The slow moving Galvanizer brick, supported by Positive Charge, a well running induction chain and the Diffuser's beacon was great to play, even it was no good matchup for the list because of the mass of infantry, but they failed to damage the Galvanizers, only his Jacks could kill some.

I will definitely play this list more often - I like it very much!

So the original list of this discussion just got 4 lots of free shield guarding servitors.......
    It started out ok, but then i stuffed the focus circle (#JustCyrissThings)...

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSig View Post
    So the original list of this discussion just got 4 lots of free shield guarding servitors.......
    Jup. Just add 6 Reflex, 6 Attunement. Solves the "not enough attacks problem" nicely against everything that's not a Satyxis Raider. You could go with 9 Reflex, but Attunement Servitors are always the first ones to get shot and have their range problem. So having more of them across a wider part of the table ensures they will actually do something 50% of the games.
    Plus you get to tell your opponent that your whole list has Shield Guard and yes, you mean every stupid model in the list (just hide the Optifex somewhere he can't see, details details...)

Quote Originally Posted by Hjard View Post
    Jup. Just add 6 Reflex, 6 Attunement. Solves the "not enough attacks problem" nicely against everything that's not a Satyxis Raider. You could go with 9 Reflex, but Attunement Servitors are always the first ones to get shot and have their range problem. So having more of them across a wider part of the table ensures they will actually do something 50% of the games.
    Plus you get to tell your opponent that your whole list has Shield Guard and yes, you mean every stupid model in the list (just hide the Optifex somewhere he can't see, details details...)
    I totally agree. I think the Iron Tide doesn't need to worry about those spamming, weapons' master Bane Warriors anymore. And just think, if opponents try to shoot the Reflex Servitors to get charge lanes to your vectors, the big brothers shield guard their little buddies; if opponents try to launch powerful hits on your vectors, the servitors return the favour. This is the kind of symbiosis that I feel epitomizes CoC.

I must say I'm very pleased with the rules associated with the theme force as well as the theme per se.

Quote Originally Posted by GearJammer View Post
    I must say I'm very pleased with the rules associated with the theme force as well as the theme per se.
    Word.