Default ranged attacks & Walls

Hey everyone, I was Faced with an interesting scenario I wasn't able to find a rule about that seems like it would come up often.

is LOS an issue? for example if a spawn has 1 wall between it and the target but the target is within 2 squares are they still able to be aimed at shot at?

"All men must die, and one may only serve in the next life to The Dragonfather, there is no exception." Erdrick Chaeffer

Destroyer of Worlds tutenkharnage's Avatar
    Mucking about in the swamps of western Immoren

If the target is within two spaces as defined by the section of the rule book that explains how to count distance, then the target is within range of a ranged attack with RNG 2. The presence of a wall that might block one path of calculating distance does not affect all possible ways to calculate distance.

If you can provide specifics (e.g., a chapter number or spaces from the relevant example in the rulebook), I will provide a more specific answer later today.

So--to be clear, this is for The Undercity--there's no LOS. You're either within range, or you're not. If you look at the bottom graphic on page 7 of the rulebook, spaces B and C are within two spaces of each other, so a character with a RNG 1 weapon in space B can make a ranged attack against a character in space A, and vice versa, despite the presence of an obstruction space that blocks what we would call line of sight between parts of the two spaces. Similarly, the spaces numbered 3 and 5/E are two spaces apart, so the same rules apply despite the presence of a wall between parts of both spaces.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by tutenkharnage View Post
    If the target is within two spaces as defined by the section of the rule book that explains how to count distance, then the target is within range of a ranged attack with RNG 2. The presence of a wall that might block one path of calculating distance does not affect all possible ways to calculate distance.

If you can provide specifics (e.g., a chapter number or spaces from the relevant example in the rulebook), I will provide a more specific answer later today.
    Scenario 2 coming in from spawn. The enemy hasn't moved but someone was on the outside of the "Walled spawns" It was only 2 squares around but basically was around a corner that seemed really unlikely to get a shot.

"All men must die, and one may only serve in the next life to The Dragonfather, there is no exception." Erdrick Chaeffer

Oh. I think I see. So you're talking about chapter 2, Unusual Suspects, and referring to the red sword thug in passage 6 and the blue crossbow thug in passage 3, right? And so you have a character two spaces "east" of passage 3 or two spaces "west" of passage 6.

Those villains are not "walled" in. The adjacent spaces are loose rock tiles, which are described on page 9 of the rulebook. These passages are open and can be shot through; they can also be targeted by attacks, in which case they will become cave-in spaces if they are damaged.

Does that help?

Quote Originally Posted by tutenkharnage View Post
    Oh. I think I see. So you're talking about chapter 2, Unusual Suspects, and referring to the red sword thug in passage 6 and the blue crossbow thug in passage 3, right? And so you have a character two spaces "east" of passage 3 or two spaces "west" of passage 6.

Those villains are not "walled" in. The adjacent spaces are loose rock tiles, which are described on page 9 of the rulebook. These passages are open and can be shot through; they can also be targeted by attacks, in which case they will become cave-in spaces if they are damaged.

Does that help?
    You are helping so no worries there. The idea is that lets say we have a Blue crossbowman at the 10-A square in Chapter:2 The Unusual Suspects. That crossbowman wants to shoot at a player starting position "around the wall" at that start location at 1 o'clock to it's position. I recognize the wall cuts it off from being in RNG 1 but it is in RNG2 right? so it's a valid position right?

That space is two spaces away and is within range of a ranged weapon with RNG 2, yes. You count one space "east" and then one space "north," with "north" defined as "toward the top of the page in the campaign guide."

If you look again at the bottom graphic on page 7 of the rulebook, you'll see that the space with the number 3 in it is two spaces away from space C, which is marked with the number 1, and two spaces away from space E, which is marked with the number 5. Both spaces are "around a corner" from the space marked with the number 3.

Cheers!
    Last edited by tutenkharnage; 12-07-2016 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Typing on an iPad sucks!