Thread: This Old House

Default This Old House

Since the launch of MkIII, I’ve been slowly but surely swapping out my GW terrain with IK-tailored scratch-built terrain pieces. Here’s my first ‘generic’ IK building:

It’s mostly pink insulation styrofoam, cardboard, and a whole lotta glue.

The window ‘glass’ is silver foil-covered cardstock that I bought at a craft store; the effect works better in real life than in these pictures. I was going to put a small round window under the front arch, but I botched all of my attempts to cut out a circular frame, so I settled for a decorative plaster medallion instead.

I considered putting a big advertising poster on a portion of the blank stone wall (possibly modelled after the Hearthblend cigar ad on p.281 of Kings, Nations, and Gods), but I decided that would be too urban-looking, and most of the table set-ups this building would be used in would be more-or-less rural, so I’ll be holding off on the poster idea until I undertake a full city board at some point.
    I know violence isn't the answer-
    I got it wrong on purpose!

-cont.

Every IK building needs a coal cellar! The cellar door handles are made from staples- which at first I thought would be way too big, but then I realized that laborjacks would probably be accessing the cellar, so oversized handles would make perfect sense…

Destroyer of Worlds FluffyZealot's Avatar

Great work!
    Quote Originally Posted by St Jason, 10-06-2011.
    Give a faction player a lemon, they'll make lemonade.
    Give a merc player a lemon, they'll squirt juice in your eyes.
    Give a Rhul player a lemon, they'll figure out ways to use the lemon to blow up tanks.
    Rhulic enthusiast since 2010. Digitizing in 2017....

Annihilator

Very nice! The coal cellar is not something I would have thought of but it is a brilliant touch. I might "borrow" that when I get around to making some houses if that's okay . . .

Destroyer of Worlds tutenkharnage's Avatar
    Mucking about in the swamps of western Immoren

This is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tapecrawler View Post
    The coal cellar is not something I would have thought of but it is a brilliant touch. I might "borrow" that when I get around to making some houses if that's okay . . .
    I swiped the idea from THIS guy.

Nice piece!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianide
    All hail Weaselcreature, Destroyer of Worlds! May he be swift as he exacts judgment upon us.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmario7502
    "I'm with Weaselcreature" might make a pretty boss T-shirt; it's the most fun thing I've typed today.

Annihilator

I don't know how I missed that thread when it was new. Cool link, thanks!

Destroyer of Worlds

Pretty solid.

I think it would look better with smaller rivets, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I think it would look better with smaller rivets, though.
    Agreed. I don't mind the big ones on the roof, but I definitely should have used something else on the windows. But, that's the smallest hole punch that I have, so that's what I used.

Destroyer of Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by Adeptus-B View Post
    Agreed. I don't mind the big ones on the roof, but I definitely should have used something else on the windows. But, that's the smallest hole punch that I have, so that's what I used.
    Fair enough!

You will find a plethora of the appropriate tool if you Google "rotary punch leather".

Beautiful! And regards the leather punch: I picked up one at JoAnn Fabric, but I had to wait for one of those 50% off coupons (i.e., "get one regularly-priced item at half off," and of course they're hoping that I'll go in there, get the one item half-off, and then buy a bunch of OTHER stuff at full price ... but it's on the way home from work for me, so I'm perfectly fine with stopping in to get JUST ONE THING ). The regular price was (ack!) ... $40. I've been using it with some scrap plastic so far on a Reaper Kaladrax I'm converting over into a Cryxian mega-horror for an Iron Kingdoms campaign. It seems to do fairly well with making something that looks like a rivet, but I'm still trying to get the knack of lining it up properly so that the rivets don't look like they're just haphazardly positioned along the line. (That is, my "aim" is a bit off.)

I love the coal-cellar idea as well!

The roof looks gorgeous. Do you by any chance have any better-lit views of the exterior walls of the building? I'd love to get a better look at that "gearbox" area on one side with what looks like chain sections hanging loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Peacock View Post
    Do you by any chance have any better-lit views of the exterior walls of the building? I'd love to get a better look at that "gearbox" area on one side with what looks like chain sections hanging loose.
    I don't currently have any better-lit pics; my camera doesn't have a flash, and it was already dark outside when I took these, so natural light wasn't an option. Not sure when I'll get a chance to take some better ones- I store my terrain at a friend's house, and our schedules don't always sync up...

My main disappointment with this building are the windows. Always a day late and a dollar short, I stumbled across these the other day when I went to a model train store to buy some plasticard:

The manufacturer is 'Durango Press'- worth a look.
    Last edited by Adeptus-B; 01-05-2017 at 03:32 PM.