Thread: Mortenebra

Default Mortenebra

Since this question wasn't addressed in the insider or errata threads I'll ask it again here.

Since PP believes Spell Slave does not need to be fixed, what is your stance on Mortenebra? Is she currently working as intended, or is how Derlyss interacts with her spell list being looked at? Because while I understand not wanting the Skarlock Thrall to become an auto include with all Cryx casters, Derlyss is a literal auto include that Mortenebra pays for, and doesn't want because he's lost all synergy with her spell list, and is generally an overpriced Necrotech or a use of Sacrifical Lamb. Derlyss can't cast half of her spell list. Casting Overrun currently does nothing. This leaves him with the ability to cast Doom Spiral, which is just a terrible nuke when you can't boost damage, and Void Gate a spell that's next to impossible to actually get value out of.

If Mortenebra & Derlyss are in fact working as intended, what exactly is Derlyss's intended purpose? Because when I look at them I can't see it.

Destroyer of Worlds Martyr of the Cause's Avatar

Based on the "Will you fix Spell Slave" answer, I do not think PP is fully aware of the problems with Derlyss. If he could cast Overrun and have it actually do what it does when Mortenebra casts it, Derlyss would be fine, and conversely Mortenebra would be ok (instead of lackluster).
    The Eternally Loyal,
    Martyr of the Cause

Destroyer of Worlds Po the Barbarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Martyr of the Cause View Post
    Based on the "Will you fix Spell Slave" answer, I do not think PP is fully aware of the problems with Derlyss. If he could cast Overrun and have it actually do what it does when Mortenebra casts it, Derlyss would be fine, and conversely Mortenebra would be ok (instead of lackluster).
    This really does seem likely sometimes, but I can't imagine they didn't notice this at this point. I mean, the howling hasn't been over the top, but it gets discussed pretty often and in threads we know they've looked at.

But the question still remains: can morty at least have her warjack points back if derlyss isn't going to do much of anything?

Conqueror

The other alternative would be to redo Deryliss more along the lines of Stormchaser Finch. They appear to be costed along similar lines but Finch is much more useful. If Deryliss was unshackled from Morty's spell list by swapping spell slave for some other jack boosting abilities then that might work better. Tune-up, Concentrated Power, Ancillary attack, Power booster or something along those line perhaps?

It's also worth noting that Morty is very much in the minority by being a 'jack caster with no field marshal ability.

Even if Derlyss could cast Overrun, Mortenebra would still be the worst caster in cryx, which puts her in the running for worst caster in the game. Not even overrun assassination stuff is worth playing a caster whos best buff (sacrifical lamb) is hugely skornegistic with the faction. Cryx jacks are balanced around debuffs and she has none. Extra focus doesnt make them better jacks.

That's a bit hyperbolic, since Denny2 exists.
    Compilation of Infernal Rulings

Cryx - Painting Thread

Currently 482 / 1130 points painted / owned, 4 / 17 warcasters
    Last painted: Satyxis Gunslingers (posted 2/21/2017)

I'd like to also bring up the fact that Spell Slave's offensive spell options typically need to be compared to Dark Fire. So, while yes there are offensive spells each warcaster can have slaved, much of the utility is lost thanks to the restrictions on the ability, and are more or less interchangeable with Dark fire.

Destroyer of Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedris View Post
    The other alternative would be to redo Deryliss more along the lines of Stormchaser Finch. They appear to be costed along similar lines but Finch is much more useful. If Deryliss was unshackled from Morty's spell list by swapping spell slave for some other jack boosting abilities then that might work better. Tune-up, Concentrated Power, Ancillary attack, Power booster or something along those line perhaps?

It's also worth noting that Morty is very much in the minority by being a 'jack caster with no field marshal ability.
    Fun Storm Chaser Finch fact: she's not an attachment. Not that Mortenebra would take another attachment even if she could, but it's still a pretty funny comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyxu View Post
    I'd like to also bring up the fact that Spell Slave's offensive spell options typically need to be compared to Dark Fire. So, while yes there are offensive spells each warcaster can have slaved, much of the utility is lost thanks to the restrictions on the ability, and are more or less interchangeable with Dark fire.
    Note that Deryliss can't actually cast Dark Fire, and that even if he could he wouldn't be able to spend the soul token he got from it because unlike the skarlock thrall he doesn't have soul taker.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheer_Falacy View Post
    Fun Storm Chaser Finch fact: she's not an attachment. Not that Mortenebra would take another attachment even if she could, but it's still a pretty funny comparison.

Note that Deryliss can't actually cast Dark Fire, and that even if he could he wouldn't be able to spend the soul token he got from it because unlike the skarlock thrall he doesn't have soul taker.
    Shows how often I've had him forward enough for that to be a relevant thing :\

Well, this question was brought up multiple times in he CID thread in general forums, but apparently that discussion point was covered sufficiently. :|

Destroyer of Worlds

Some suggestions from the Cryx forums:

From Ephraim:

1. I'd take away his existing repair ability and give him this instead:
    Mechromancy [d3+1](*ACTION) - RNG CMD. Target friendly Faction construct model. If the model is in range, remove d3+1 damage points from it and it gains 1 Focus point.
    2. I'd give him the Necrotech's Spare Parts ability and let him spend scrap tokens to add +2 to Mechromancy rolls.

From me:

3. I'd propose is giving Deryliss enliven. This would give another wrinkle to Morty's movement tricks and work nicely with spectral steel.

4. Give Derlyiss a CMD level soul taker ability, but one that gives something akin to synergy. eg. if Derlyiss gets a soul as a *-action he can give one jack something like infernal machine.

Destroyer of Worlds

On the subject of debuffs, given that Morty's feat is a stealth buff of sorts (rerolls for her feat) and she can hand out lots of focus for boosting, I'd prefer she keep her role as a movement trickster.

That's why I'd prefer Derlyiss have something like enliven and a soul based ability that he could use to buff jacks in some way.

Why did Mortenebra not receive a field marshal like: sacrificial pawn or sucker [Mechanithralls] if sacrificial pawn is too overpowered.

This way Cryx has caster that counter gunlines (that ignore stealth and clouds).

If Overrun doesn't get fixed will you redesign Delryiss into something more useful?