Default A wayward son returns to the iron flock.

Hello everyone,

So it's been a little over a year since I've gotten to play any Warmachine. A couple days ago, for some vague reason, I started getting the itch to look over models again. And lo and behold, there's a new edition now! So I'm not really sure how to proceed. The only models I have are those from the MK II Cryx starter box. I plan to expand slowly because the only people I know who play nearby are my brothers (Legion and Trollbloods) and they're not really interested in spending the money on new units any time soon. We're still using the MK II rules right now, but I'd like to eventually become more familiar with MK III. Anyway, I didn't have anything important to say. Just wanted to mention that I'm back on the bandwagon. Yay?

P.S. Looking for local players too. Maybe around the Bloomington area?

Destroyer of Worlds RandomThoughts's Avatar

Hello Overanalyze, welcome back to the flock!

Deneghra1 and a bunch of Deathrippers are still pretty good, and the core of many Cryx lists. If you want to proceed, I'd personally recommend one of the new battle boxes each for both you and your brother. It comes with the MK3 rulebook, and a decent number of models. May seem a bit redundant, since you already own a battlebox, but even with pdfs of the rulebooks available for free, nothing beats a paper copy in my experience.

From what I hear, the new Trollbloods battlebox is a bit better than the new Legion BB.

Otherwise ... well, there'S always the intro guide linked in my signature, which I wrote for new players like you (yes, if all you own is a battlebox, you're new, no matter how old the models are! ), or just browse around the forums, or whatever.

Normally I'd also recommend a MK3 faction deck for both your and your brother's factions, but you might be able to print the cards you need yourself soon, so no idea if that's where you're going.

... or, I guess, you could just play a few MK2 games with your brother, to get the models back on the table, and then decide where you want to go.

Anyway, welcome back to the forums, Overanalyze!

"As I often say, variety is the spice of wargaming" (Cyel)

I appreciate the advice, RandomThoughts. Looking at the new Cryx battlebox I see that it comes with another Slayer. Now there's nothing wrong with the Slayer, I actually like it a lot, but is there some sort of character jack kit that can be used with the Slayer?

Well, double Slayers s supposed to be viable these days, or you could do what I did, order a few bits from the bits store and convert one Slayer into your own custom-made Nightmare.

I'm glad to hear that. The look of the Slayer was what first convinced me to buy the original pewter Cryx battlebox way back in the day.
    Last edited by Over4nalysis; 12-25-2016 at 10:14 PM.

About the part of your last reply that you deleted in the meantime, picking up a new faction would per perfectly fine as well, and I can't tell you if Cryx is the right faction for you or not. What I can do is point you towards my Intro Guide again, which has a short desription of each faction's general playstyle at this point in time, and a shortlist of models you should look at besides the battleboxes for each faction. That may or may not help you decide.

Personally I would suggest, get the MK3 rules and the MK3 cards for the models you already have, relearn the rules and play a few gams with your brother, just to see how much you actually enjoy the game now.