Default Looking to expand Cygnar collection to 75 points. Any suggestions?

Hi, I'm a new player who's only got two games under his belt (One of which was under Mk2. I got my models earlier in the year but I had to move shortly after, so my stuff was in a warehouse for a number of months), and I was looking for advice on how to expand my Cygnar list to 75 points, as I want to take part at a local Steamroller tournament (I have a similar thread to this in the Menoth forum as I have both Menoth and Cygnar). Thus far I have the Mk3 Two-Player Battle Box models plus the Cygnar All-in-One Army Box contents. So I have the following:

- Major Beth Maddox (Who apparently hates Menoth. How awkward putting her next to my Menoth models, now)
    - Major Markus 'Siege' Brisbane
    - Avenger
    - Defender
    - Firefly
    - Ironclad
    - Lancer
    - Journeyman Warcaster
    - Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (6)
    - Stormguard Infantry (10)
    - Stormguard Infantry (10) (I really wish the Battle Box had come with a new unit rather than a repeat of what was in the All-In-One Army Box. Particularly since assembling these guys is so incredibly frustrating)
    - Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer
    - Squire

So what list would experienced players suggest I build and what should I add for a 75 point list? Thanks.

Support solos!
    Rhupert Carvolo, squire or Sylys all have a place on most lists.

For units, staples like trencher infantry and storm lances will serve you well in a range of lists regardless of your caster.

I really wish Trenchers had been the infantry unit in the new Battle Box rather than the Stormguard. And thankfully I also have Rhupert Carvolo, as he came in the Menoth All-In-One Army Box that I also got.

Also, in playing her second most of my casters, Maddox loves her a Stormclad so much, throw Assail on it, you only need to give it one focus and it starts straight up murderibg things.

Destroyer of Worlds Stormpuppy_Infantry's Avatar

For jacks, Stormclad, Dynamo and Hunter will be good. Stormclad is a durable beatstick. Dynamo is good beatstick as well as excellent medium ranged gun, and you can also use the Firefly. Hunter will be needed for your Journeyman Warcaster.

For units, you need the usable units. Trencher Infantry and Storm Lances are good. If not, you may looking for Sword Knight. Honestly it will be better to have at least Trencher Infantry and Command Attachment. And I suggest to sell Stormguard Infantry or conversion them to making Stormblade Infantry. At least Stormblade Infantry have some uses, but not Stormguards.

Arcane Tempest Rifleman and Gun Mage Captain Adept are solid choice too. Rifleman can crack armor or kill a trooper, and GMCA can remove Stealth, drop DEF, remove the enemy from our sight, or two among them.

Rhupert will be needed if you play the melee unit, but you have him.
    You create your own destiny, and your lot in life is not fixed at birth.
    Truth is truth, regardless how bitter it is.
    Stormblade Infantry, fragile but versatile infantry.
    Clockwork Oracle, Warmachine&Hordes probability calculator for Android.
    RIP, Haley1 and Black 13th. You are my heroes in the dark times.

The other use for the other stormguard unit might he the silverline upgrade kit frolm the online store, but so far as staples go, they are...a niche case with Nemo3 at best. Still, a potential use for them if you don't want 2 units of them?

Otherwise a lot of these suggestions are decent. Siege also loves trenchers , so those, him, and the defender aren't a bad list core either. (Note I do like Siege more than most, so take that with a grain of salt )
    Last edited by Mekame; 12-31-2016 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Knight View Post
    Hi, I'm a new player who's only got two games under his belt (One of which was under Mk2. I got my models earlier in the year but I had to move shortly after, so my stuff was in a warehouse for a number of months), and I was looking for advice on how to expand my Cygnar list to 75 points, as I want to take part at a local Steamroller tournament (I have a similar thread to this in the Menoth forum as I have both Menoth and Cygnar). Thus far I have the Mk3 Two-Player Battle Box models plus the Cygnar All-in-One Army Box contents. So I have the following:

- Major Beth Maddox (Who apparently hates Menoth. How awkward putting her next to my Menoth models, now)
    - Major Markus 'Siege' Brisbane
    - Avenger
    - Defender
    - Firefly
    - Ironclad
    - Lancer
    - Journeyman Warcaster
    - Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (6)
    - Stormguard Infantry (10)
    - Stormguard Infantry (10) (I really wish the Battle Box had come with a new unit rather than a repeat of what was in the All-In-One Army Box. Particularly since assembling these guys is so incredibly frustrating)
    - Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer
    - Squire

So what list would experienced players suggest I build and what should I add for a 75 point list? Thanks.
    Stormclad comes to mind first because it's arguably our best Jack so, though pricey @ 18, it'll see action in and out of this list and it'll get an extra focus from the Stormguard to help with focus management.

Sword Knights deserve consideration also, especially with Maddox, as they're essentially a DEF 15 ARM 17 unit with tough(Defensive Line + Onslaught) and have Flank (Friendly jack) and Penetrating Strike to boot. Plus CMA with the UA.

Stormwall too, but I completely understand the associated cost hurdle with purchasing a Colossal. (I just recently got mine after over a year with Cygnar as my main faction).

You might also want to consider picking up Victor Pendrake and Alten Ashley for their anti-Hordes utility.

I also recommend Hunter and Charger lights and the Storm Lances(and ideally Laddermore).

Lastly, going with the gun mage theme, Gun Mage Captain Adept is bonkers and will serve you well beyond this list and there's also the Arcane Tempest Rifleman and the Black 13th.
    Last edited by Backwards; 01-02-2017 at 03:37 PM.

Thanks for the suggestions. So where could I look in order to get a deeper understanding of the setting background and more specifics on each faction?

I second the comments about how bad the infantry they put on the boxes is.

Stormlances and Trenchers are obviously miles better, but they are also pretty expensive to buy.

Your priorities should be some support solos (Arlan Strangewayes, Ragman, Gun Mage Capitain Adept) and maybe a real beatstick (Stormclad).

If you do those things, and manage to either convert the Stormguards into Stormblades, or to buy one of our staple units mentioned above, you are in a good place to get a fairly good Maddox list.

The JR can stay with the Firefly at the moment, without need to buy an Hunter that also doesn't synergizes that well with the two casters you have.

As for the background, sadly it is splitted into many different books, the Cygnar one in particular has bits in almost every book came out since MK1, including miniature books, RPG books and the novels of Skull Island Expeditions.

If you have a friend that can borrow you some go on with that, if instead you have to buy them, I would wait two months for the release of the Cygnar Command book, where there would likely be a recollection of the most important parts of Cygnar BG and a bit of story for most models you will use ingame while also being the most up to date content.

The old MK2 army book was also good to get a general overview, but buying it now doesn't seem worth it to me, unless you happen to stumble into a very good occasion from a store trying to get rid of his last copies.
    Last edited by The Aegis; 01-02-2017 at 11:03 PM.
    http://privateerpressforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic114488_4.gif
    R.I.P. Page 5... We miss you.
    You can find my painting blog HERE!

Destroyer of Worlds NoSuchMethod's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mekame View Post
    The other use for the other stormguard unit might he the silverline upgrade kit frolm the online store, but so far as staples go, they are...a niche case with Nemo3 at best. Still, a potential use for them if you don't want 2 units of them?
    Doing a Silverline unit is a good move; I find them to be MUCH more useful than the base Stormguards. They're not an amazing pick, but they definitely serve a purpose in some lists. Being able to get a +4 on lightning rolls (with a Firefly) can be ridiculous, especially if you were bringing lightning-powered guns anyway.

I'm actually working on converting up a 2nd unit of Stormlances with some leftover plastic stormguard... probably an overly daunting prospect for someone new to the hobby though.

Yeah, the Silver Line Stormguard are a more realistic prospect for me, as they're just backpacks glued onto nine guys. The big problem there is ripping the arms off the leader and sticking on the new weapon. Hopefully I won't damage the base model in the process.

Code games. Play games.
    Blogging about Cygnar and painting at Lightning Shroud!

Quote Originally Posted by Pjolterbeist View Post
    "Core models
    These are models that can have a place in almost any army, and with almost any caster.
    Junior Warcaster - Our best solo. It allows you to give another model extra armor, which is a fantastic buff."

I assume you mean Journeyman Warcaster. Do you still think that's true? I noticed that you now have to buy a Warjack with this model, which makes it kind of an expensive option.

Journeyman warcaster is still a great choice, thanks to the fact that we have very good light jacks to give to him.

That said, he is not an auto-include anymore. 12-15 points out of the caster BG points are a significant amount, and there are casters that prefer spending those 12-15 points in other things than in an extra Arcane Shield and a good gun.

Basically, if you can already fit the light in the list, JR for 4 points is really good, but outside some casters that really need that AS, I wouldn't put the light into the list just for JR if it doesn't already fit well.
    Last edited by The Aegis; 01-04-2017 at 05:30 PM.
    http://privateerpressforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic114488_4.gif
    R.I.P. Page 5... We miss you.
    You can find my painting blog HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by Green Knight View Post
    "Core models
    These are models that can have a place in almost any army, and with almost any caster.
    Junior Warcaster - Our best solo. It allows you to give another model extra armor, which is a fantastic buff."

I assume you mean Journeyman Warcaster. Do you still think that's true? I noticed that you now have to buy a Warjack with this model, which makes it kind of an expensive option.
    Yes. Arcane Shield is strong, especially with tanky jacks (like Stormwall, Centurion, Stormclad, Rowdy) or Storm Lances. The new rules for spending focus to negate 5 damage makes him far more survivable than he was. I use him with a ranged jack like Charger, Hunter, or (my favorite) Firefly - this is often stronger than putting the jack on the caster, since you save a focus on the caster. Jacks are cheaper and better overall than in Mk2.

I would not take him for a pure ranged army with no tanky models (like Sloan), but he works well in most combined arms armies.
    Last edited by Pjolterbeist; 01-04-2017 at 11:40 PM.
    Code games. Play games.
    Blogging about Cygnar and painting at Lightning Shroud!