Default Looking for advice for a Steamroller list, Karchev/ B3 or Harky

Little bit of preface, the steamroller isn't till mid February, but you can never start planning too early, all lists include models I either own or have ordered (Minus two devastators that have been on back order for almost 4 months now.... not banking on them being around in time for said tourney)

The first list is a Karchev list that I've been playing with a fair amount, and rather enjoy

75/75 points - Karchev and the Marauders

Karchev (30wjp)
    -Sylys Wyshnalyrr - 4
    -Behemoth (25)
    -Juggernaut (5) 7
    -Juggernaut 12
    -Marauder 10
    -Marauder 10
    -Marauder 10
    -Marauder 10

Widowmaker Marksmen 4
    Widowmaker Scouts 8

Stockpile Objective

The plan is basically attrition, it out-trades most lists and both the widowmakers and Big-B provide plenty of Road to War procs. Admittedly could be using Reinholdt instead of Sylys, but I've been enjoying the free upkeep and when necessary the boost to eruption if I need to cast it. It asks the question of "Did you bring enough armor crack"

The other lists that I'm currently torn between are Harkevich, which with the absence of the prior-mentioned Devastators feels... a bit lacking, with them it clears jammers and high def skews like no one's business, but as it stands I have yet to get my hands on them......

75/75 points - Harkevich's Conquest

Harkevich (28wjp)
    -Conquest (28) 9
    -Juggernaut 12
    -Juggernaut 12
    -Kodiak 13
    -Kodiak 13

Widowmaker Marksmen 4
    Widowmaker Scouts 8
    Gobber Tinker - 2
    Gobber Tinker - 2

Armory Objective

The plan here as it stands is to use the Kodiaks to screen for the Jugs/the conquest, and basically try to win through scenario and attrition. Admittedly does not ask much in the way of questions that the Karchev list already doesn't ask. (with Devs in place of juggernauts/no tinkers, the Devs stand as superb scenario pieces and have (with proxies) won me games on just being steel walls)

... And good old Butcher 3, Puppies and all, the super solo that he is and all that, haven't had as much play with him as the other two, but as far as I can tell on the table, he is a monster, with either scenario or assassination.

75/75 points - Butcher

Butcher 3 (22wjp)
    -War Argus'
    -War Dog 3
    -Conquest (22) 15
    -Juggernaut 12
    -Juggernaut 12
    -Rager 11
    -Marauder 10

Widowmaker Marksmen 4
    Widowmaker Scouts 8

Bunker Objective

So, as far as Butcher goes, the plan is assassination primarily. As far as jacks are concerned, the rager helps him get to the front lines through shooting if need be, and the conquest and juggers rip almost anything they reach apart, especially if he gives out silence of death.

I know Ruin is likely going to be suggested for the Butcher list, and sadly I don't own the black mace of death, currently what I have to work with for jacks is 1 Decimator, 2 Juggernauts, 4 Marauders, Conquest, a Rager, and two Kodiaks. (And if they come in within the next few weeks, 2 Devastators)

I'm also going to guess that one of the main points that could be raised is the very heavy amount of jacks across the lists, reasoning for it is that I don't enjoy playing infantry heavy armies, and the only infantry I own aside from the widowmakers are a unit of Man-o-War Shocktroopers with officer, and a kovnik.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Conqueror

Well, you answered the most questios yourself I think.

Harkevich should decide on a list imo, so either Kodiaks or Devestators, so its not really a problem for you not having your Devestators.
    However I don't like the Conquest in your Harkevich list. As you probably know Repo is huge for Harke.
    I would try to get the Rager in Harkevich, he likes to be shot at...a lot.
    And Marauders are cool too...everywhere^^ I dont think you arge going to have a Problem with Huge Bases ^^

Shockies I would only consider with Butcher, but I have no experience with him.
    Hark and Karchev can handle the amount of Jacks.

Thats all I can add.

Annihilator The Armchair Warrior's Avatar

Hi Archriete!

I've been playing Karchev a bit lately. Many folks will tell you to drop Behemoth. I've played Special K both ways - with expensive jacks and with cheap ones. He works both ways.

Regardless, you really should find a way to work in Kodiaks. I don't know about your local meta, but tournaments here are going to have the recommended terrain, and that means you want pathfinder, and that means you want Kodiaks. I usually bring 2 for pathfinder and infantry clearing (which your list will struggle with). Keep in mind the Kodiak vent steam is an anytime ability which won't affect your jacks, so they can clear crap out, get out of dodge, and then all of your other jacks are in good shape.

Also, if you want to drop Karchev into WW, you absolutely must have jacks with pathfinder. At least then you can RTW them up 3", trample 7", and threaten the end zone with bought (and feated) attacks.

I also always bring repair tech with Karchev. I like mechs. Others use tinkers (I only own 1 which I don't find is enough).

You could drop Behemoth and the WMM you can add 2 Kodiaks and a min unit of mechs which I think is an objectively better list. If you keep him, then drop the Scouts, upgrade 2 marauders, and add in a Tinker.

On the Harkevich list, yeah...you're really missing the Destroyers. Do you own Black Ivan? Anyway, if you have a colossal, you might want Orin in your list. Stranglehold on colossals suck.

I've never tried a colossal with B3. Interesting choice that might work! How has the list tried in beta testing?

Destroyer of Worlds

Swap Wysh in Karchev for Reinholt. Double fissure + Behemoth will be about 50% of your wins with him and it's super easy to pull off.

Thanks for the input there Armchair, Chris and Skate, I'll answer in order as best I can...

To Skathrex - Actually decided on B3 for the second list, so I shouldn't have to worry about the choice between the Kodiak or devs in the first place, I appreciate the input on hark though, and if I was going to use him, I adjusted the list to remove the conquest and use 2 Jugs, 2 Kodiaks, 3 Marauders and a eager, plus WMM/Scouts.

To Chris - That is one of the ideas I had on the Karchev list, and probably one I'm going to do.

To The Armchair - I've played him both ways as well, but frankly like using BigB for two reasons, first is the easy RtW procs he can bring from drifting AoEs onto squishy infantry, or even blasting ones that are too close to heavies, and second it gives an expensive, but often valuable trading piece, yesterday I had a game with it and had my opponent (Playing Cryx) make the choice of throwing death jack into him rather than attempting a very dicey assassination on Karchev.

I do see the value to the Kodiaks, though I'm more likely to drop B3 into WW rather than Karchev, I'll post his current list that I tested underneath. Otherwise I really do like how they play, it is simply fitting them into the list that is the difficult part without sacrificing either big B and sniper support or some of the marauders or jugs. On the flip side I don't own any mechanics (I do have two gob tinkers).. which is odd considering how war jack heavy I play.

As far as hark is concerned I don't own any Destroyers or Black Ivan. .. but seeing as I've likely decided on B3 as my second list I'm less worried about that at current time.

The Butcher list I ran earlier:

75/75 pts. Butcher 3.. v2.

Butcher 3 (22wjp)
    -War Argus
    -War Dog 3
    -Conquest (22) 15
    -Ruin 17
    -Juggernaut 12
    -Rager 11

Widow maker Marksman 4
    Widow maker Scouts 8
    Orin Midwinter 5

As far as the beta test on the conquest went, B3 really doesn't do much for getting it up the field, but it's natural shooting and high explosive shoulder guns were more than enough to make me feel validated on its points.

My roommate played Ossyian, Hypnos, Banshee, full strike force with eiryss, storm falls, full halberdiers with ua, three mechaniks, an arcanist, houseguard thane, and sylys.

The conquest went up the right side and practically wiped the entire unit of halberdiers (minus the ua, which the widow makers took out) off the table, and forced the remainder of his forces to focus the other side of the table with butcher in the middle.

My roommate clocked himself out halfway through his feat turn, and would have pulled off the jankiest assassination I've ever seen by back striking three if his own units and slamming another I left alive engaged with butcher. It was a thing of beauty.

All in all I enjoyed how the list played, the only thing it's really lacking is pathfinder outside of butcher himself/ruin on a charge and the conquest. And it provides very little in the ways of actually protecting Butcher to get him up the board outside the Rager.

Also, Ruin and Orin together make opposing spellcasters a very amusing thing...
    Last edited by Archriete; 01-06-2017 at 09:34 PM. Reason: grammar