Conqueror

Default Picking up Skorne as my first Hordes faction?

Hi there, after a while of sticking to Warmachine, I think I want to try branching out to my first Hordes army, and Skorne looks pretty appealing to me from a model/painting perspective, but I am a little nervous about starting off since I already play a difficult to play WM faction (Convergence) and I've been struglling a LOT, and people at my LGS warned me that every single Hodes faction is varying degrees of finess-ey and don't have idiot proof Cygnar/Khador style factions, with MAYBE the sole excption of Legion, and Legion is still trickier than something like Cygnar. Unfortunately, I gravitated towards Skorne and everyone at my LGS sorta gave me a weird look, I don't know if they mean it like "you're biting off more than you can chew" way (like implying Skorne is the hardest faction in Hordes by far, like it's the Convergence of Hordes or something and you have to really know what you're doing before you even buy a starter, and that I'm going to end up right were I am now with struggling with Convergence, except I'll just be struggling with Skorne) or if it's more of a "We've never seen anyone pick this faction up, it's that underplayed" kind of shock.

I ended up buying the two-player Hordes battlebox with a friend and I took the Skorne from it, and bought 2 units of paingiver beast handlers, and paints/tokens and the warroom Skorne deck, so I might be comitted at this point and am going to have to learn now that I'm going in, even if I just end up in a rut of constantly struggling in games, taking forever in my turns and ending up frustrated when my caster gets assasinated and feeling frustrated that I'm not even sure what went wrong, like what been going on with my Convergence army.

So, I figure with the paingivers in hand beasts and more warlocks are probably first up on my to do list, followed up by some solos/infantry. That means Beast Master is the only warlock I have ATM. I have some Praetorian Swordsmen but I dunno if there's any other infantry I have to think about ATM.

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Last edited by Granis; 01-08-2017 at 08:07 PM.

Destroyer of Worlds

Skorne will get a big errata within two to three week. Because of that, it's hard to give advices. That being said, Xekaar (your warlock) is pretty weak to assassination due to low defensive stats and a need to be quite close to your opponent ; he is overall a pretty hard to play warlock. That being said, it's hard to name a warlock who is sure to still be easy to play or at least resilient to assassination after the errata ; currently, I would advice Hexeris 2 (Lord Arbiter Hexeris), because he have very reasonable defensive stats and no need to get close and personal.

Your LGS was likely exagerating its look, but Skorne have a reputation for weakness right now. Which is why a big errata is coming. I guess you can wait two or three week for advice ? If you want to buy right now, it's reasonable to take a titan kit. After that it will become more speculative.

Conqueror

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlmann View Post
    Skorne will get a big errata within two to three week. Because of that, it's hard to give advices. That being said, Xekaar (your warlock) is pretty weak to assassination due to low defensive stats and a need to be quite close to your opponent ; he is overall a pretty hard to play warlock. That being said, it's hard to name a warlock who is sure to still be easy to play or at least resilient to assassination after the errata ; currently, I would advice Hexeris 2 (Lord Arbiter Hexeris), because he have very reasonable defensive stats and no need to get close and personal.

Your LGS was likely exagerating its look, but Skorne have a reputation for weakness right now. Which is why a big errata is coming. I guess you can wait two or three week for advice ? If you want to buy right now, it's reasonable to take a titan kit. After that it will become more speculative.
    Ah, I didn't realize there was some errata coming, I guess I'll have to wait on advice, then.

Quote Originally Posted by Granis View Post
    and bought 2 units of paingiver beast handlers,
    Anyways, you cant go wrong here these are pretty great, and apparently getting better with the errata !

Are they min or max ? Not sure you need 2 max units...

Conqueror

Quote Originally Posted by esque View Post
    Anyways, you cant go wrong here these are pretty great, and apparently getting better with the errata !

Are they min or max ? Not sure you need 2 max units...
    They're minimum units, I didn't know if I needed to max them out or if I could get away with min units and just use them as a small support unit ala Choir or my Optifex Directives

They'll come in handy ! A full unit is common. Two min. units are also used. Rarely saw this in mk2. Back then
    each beast could be affected by 1 paingiver, but in mk3 several of them can condition/ heal the same beast.

Conqueror

If it helps, I started in Ret, then picked up Skorne as my hordes faction. From a gameplay perspective I find hordes WAY easier than warmachine.

Fury > focus in my opinion because it is only limited by how much risk you want to take. There's far less stress about who to allocate what to *before even starting your turn*, instead you force beasts as you need to throughout your turn giving hordes players a lot more flexibility and ability to modify plans when the dice are less than kind, or if you make a critical error.

Destroyer of Worlds Big Fat Troll's Avatar

You will find that order of activations is still very important but Fury is much more flexible than Focus, especially when the Paingivers can go last and fix the numbers for you. You will still have to watch out for support bloat. As for Xekaar, he is getting a character warbeast and IIRC it's pretty much been confirmed that the bond allows it to channel spells for him. If so, that will help a lot.
    "It is impossible to speak in such a way that you cannot be misunderstood."
    -Karl Popper

Destroyer of Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fat Troll View Post
    IIRC it's pretty much been confirmed that the bond allows it to channel spells for him. If so, that will help a lot.
    Source ? I have seen that only in wishlisting.

Destroyer of Worlds BarskeMannen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fat Troll View Post
    IIRC it's pretty much been confirmed that the bond allows it to channel spells for him. If so, that will help a lot.
    Now it just needs to give him Stealth and Refuge and we're in business!
    My tin dudes can take your tin dudes.

PbP characters: Vys Elyntheir (IWC)

I've been playing Xekaar since mid October when I started playing. He took me a few games to figure out but I won the last two casual games I played (75pts, vs Khador and Cygnar). His feet is defensive, but can offset the alpha strike. Figuring out when to drop it is important. He does like to run beasts, Cyclops shaman helps with spell range. Pursuit can help close charge lanes/ jam opponents beats/Jack's. He's part of his battle group, so psych surgery helps him to if he takes an early hit. I've been running him with full karak with ua, full PGBH, hakaar, Titan G,S,C, Cyclops B,S,Sh, Agonizer.

Conqueror

Hey, thought I'd bump this thread, since the great skorne errta is here now, so I'm hoping to get some idea where to start now, my two player starter set Skorne are looking for some direction, along with the 2 units of Beast handlers I bought.

I know Xekarr isn't a great warlock even after the errata, so I could use some good direction for what to do now that the erratas here.

basically what I have so far

-Titan Gladiator

-Cyclops Raider

-Cyclops Savage

-Full Praetorian Swordmen

-Beast Handlers

Well first of: Welcome to Skorne, here is your Lash!

You have a good starting point to go wherever you like.

There are a few more specialized Warlocks (like Mordikaar and Zaal), but with what you have a good start may be one of the Makedas (1 or 2).

They are reasonable Combinde Arm casters and work well with your Swordmen (btw u need the UA!!! asap).

Depending on the Warlock you may want a Marketh.

As support Beasts go a Shaman works well with Raider and Gladiator. Agonizer or Krea for Defense, after that its just your choice of Weapon.

If you go with one of the Makedas take a Molik Karn.

Despoiler, Sentry, Tiberion and Bronzeback are all solid choices as well.

But basically the question is what playstyle you wanna go with Skorne, because each caster has 1-2 Elemnts he really like with his playstyle (Sentrys with Zaadesh2, Fast cheap beast with Hexi2 etc.)

As you are starting, I would recommend avoiding the most infantry heavy casters, as they tend to like games at more points (specially the zaals).
    A couple more beasts and attach can be a good starting point as said above.
    If you want a second master, I would look at one Makeda, Naaresh or Hexeris, as I feel Morghoul plays very simmilar to Xekaar and Xerxis, zaals and Mordi like more infantry or models.

Conqueror

Hmm, Okay, to start off with, how would I go about going more battlegroup heavy with Skorne, are there other warlocks besides Xekarr that are good at running heavies.? can the Makedas do that okay? in adition to the light beats you recommended like the Krea, Molik Karn, Shaman etc, which Titans or heavies should I get? I know I probably want an Agonizer too. I think somesone mentioned Tiberion and The Bronzeback.

I'm obviously gonna get the UA for my Praetorians, but eventually it might be good to know what other units I should expand into.

For solos I figure I could pick up a Marketh as was recommended but are there any other solos of note I should look at?

Destroyer of Worlds Bloodsplatter artist's Avatar

Honestly the errata did a great job with internal Ballance in addition to buffing the faction. You can get a lot of millage out of just about anything. It really comes down to what models you like.

As for beast heavy casters, Morghoul1, Naresh, Makeda3 and Xerxis2 are all designed to play very well with their battlegroups. Rasheth and both Hexeris can run a large group as well thanks to their high fury stats but aren't specifically beast casters.

As for the types of beasts you just want to look at how the help or are helped by the casters you want to play.
    The bugs are fairly slow even with rush but with casters like morghoul1 and Xerxis2 who can speed them up they offer slot to your army.

A warlock like Naresh will like taking a lot of Titans as they are fairly durable and hit hard making his feat even more effective. Taking a bronzback along with a few other Titans will make it easier to manage the fury generated by his BG as well.

The paingiver bloodruner master tormentor is a great solo for his cost. AD and Pathfinder let him get wherever you need him and stealth and sprint make him great at clearing out or contesting objectives. With his high mat and weapon master he is now a solid solo/support hunter as well. I usually have at least 1 in most of my lists.
    Last edited by Bloodsplatter artist; 01-30-2017 at 08:45 AM.

As for other units to expand into, Karax are still post-errata very important in many lists for creating a tenacious tarpit to prevent the enemy easy access to your army's important innards.

I'd also recommend Venator Reivers +UA. A ranged presence is important to almost all lists, and CRA handcannons at obscene range can keep enemy heavies on their toes. Reposition is great on a unit like this at keeping them from being tied up. They're bad at dealing with stealth, but unless your enemy has an all stealth battlegroup they will have something substantial to contribute.

Post above is right on the money, but I'd stay away from Makeda3 at the moment. She needs the MK2 version of Molik Karn's animus to work properly, though if the meta pendulum swings back towards infantry in the future her stock will rise.

I would push you toward a specific list. So get someone that will allow you to proxy and give this a try

Mac1
    Molik Karn (great for the macs if you don't want to run them you may not want to get him)
    Titan Gladiator
    Archidon (this feels like it will be used in a bunch of lists from now on)
    Titan Sentry (you could make this a cannoneer instead)
    scarab pack (this is the MOST specialized choice in this list you may want to drop this for something else as you are getting started)
    Paingiver beast handlers (swap between min and max as your points require i.e. sentry gets you full cannonneer gets you min)
    Karax max (this unit will be used in a bunch of spots so it is the clearest buy I think)
    swordsmen + ua (you have these already so go for it)

So I would proxy this quicken the swordsmen feat early and spend as much health as you can on your feat turn. from there get a good feel for what you like and come back and give us some feedback.

Or do what I did, and buy models based on looks alone. Expensive, but in very short space of time I collected about 80% of the faction. Most of it is still in original packaging as my purchases far out-stripped my hobby pace

However, having bought most of Skorne, and 2 copies of most beasts, the following are the ones I assembled first and still use a lot across many lists (pre-Errata, tho I see no reason this will change post-Errata, looking forward to gaming again!:

Titan Gladiator
    Titan Sentry
    Despoiler
    Cyclops Brute
    Wrong Eye & Snapjaw

Beast Handlers
    Bloodrunners
    Praetorian Karax
    Swamp Gobber Bellows

Master Tormentor
    Void Spirits

I favour Xerxis1 and Mordikaar1 as my casters, and am about to break into Makeda3 a lot more. Again these decisions are mostly aesthetically driven

- OJ

Quote Originally Posted by OranjeJus View Post
    Or do what I did, and buy models based on looks alone. Expensive, but in very short space of time I collected about 80% of the faction. Most of it is still in original packaging as my purchases far out-stripped my hobby pace

However, having bought most of Skorne, and 2 copies of most beasts, the following are the ones I assembled first and still use a lot across many lists (pre-Errata, tho I see no reason this will change post-Errata, looking forward to gaming again!:

Titan Gladiator
    Titan Sentry
    Despoiler
    Cyclops Brute
    Wrong Eye & Snapjaw

Beast Handlers
    Bloodrunners
    Praetorian Karax
    Swamp Gobber Bellows

Master Tormentor
    Void Spirits

I favour Xerxis1 and Mordikaar1 as my casters, and am about to break into Makeda3 a lot more. Again these decisions are mostly aesthetically driven

- OJ
    You may need 3 Gladiator kits to have at least one of every type.
    I cannot stress enough how much fun it is to have a Cannoneer kill Eiryss top of 2 with a cannon ball to the face (note: bring Extoller).

For Xerxis1, Try some Reivers behind the Karax for some fun shooting. (may want to proxy a Dakar or 2 for this as well)

Mordikaar: Max out the Void spirits, these can be your heavy lifters. Looks like you have everything you need for a list with him.
    "Oh my lord here's a just reward, Bring me my devil, just behind the door"

Destroyer of Worlds

Hey, thought I'd bump this thread, since the great skorne errta is here now, so I'm hoping to get some idea where to start now, my two player starter set Skorne are looking for some direction, along with the 2 units of Beast handlers I bought.

I know Xekarr isn't a great warlock even after the errata, so I could use some good direction for what to do now that the erratas here.

basically what I have so far

-Titan Gladiator

-Cyclops Raider

-Cyclops Savage

-Full Praetorian Swordmen

-Beast Handlers
    Hmm, Okay, to start off with, how would I go about going more battlegroup heavy with Skorne, are there other warlocks besides Xekarr that are good at running heavies.? can the Makedas do that okay? in adition to the light beats you recommended like the Krea, Molik Karn, Shaman etc, which Titans or heavies should I get? I know I probably want an Agonizer too. I think somesone mentioned Tiberion and The Bronzeback.

I'm obviously gonna get the UA for my Praetorians, but eventually it might be good to know what other units I should expand into.

For solos I figure I could pick up a Marketh as was recommended but are there any other solos of note I should look at?
    There's little to say that others haven't. You've a solid start there although need the UA for the Praetorians. And just about everything in faction works.

Most warlocks can run warbeast heavy in Skorne - indeed the only ones I'd say that can't really are Makeda2, Xerxis1, and both Zaals.

One of the problems giving recommendations for Skorne players at the moment is that everything works. There are no bad models. (Except arguably non-shield wall Cataphracts, Reptile Hounds, and the Razor Wurm is only really useful for Hexeris, and even there the Archidon trumps it).

But if you've already got Praetorian Swordsmen, my next picks would be Makeda 1 (Archdomina Makeda) and Molik Karn. Then a Titan Kit to magnetise (all three titans are good although post-errata you probably don't need more than one Gladiator).