Conqueror

Default Picking up Skorne as my first Hordes faction?

Hi there, after a while of sticking to Warmachine, I think I want to try branching out to my first Hordes army, and Skorne looks pretty appealing to me from a model/painting perspective, but I am a little nervous about starting off since I already play a difficult to play WM faction (Convergence) and I've been struglling a LOT, and people at my LGS warned me that every single Hodes faction is varying degrees of finess-ey and don't have idiot proof Cygnar/Khador style factions, with MAYBE the sole excption of Legion, and Legion is still trickier than something like Cygnar. Unfortunately, I gravitated towards Skorne and everyone at my LGS sorta gave me a weird look, I don't know if they mean it like "you're biting off more than you can chew" way (like implying Skorne is the hardest faction in Hordes by far, like it's the Convergence of Hordes or something and you have to really know what you're doing before you even buy a starter, and that I'm going to end up right were I am now with struggling with Convergence, except I'll just be struggling with Skorne) or if it's more of a "We've never seen anyone pick this faction up, it's that underplayed" kind of shock.

I ended up buying the two-player Hordes battlebox with a friend and I took the Skorne from it, and bought 2 units of paingiver beast handlers, and paints/tokens and the warroom Skorne deck, so I might be comitted at this point and am going to have to learn now that I'm going in, even if I just end up in a rut of constantly struggling in games, taking forever in my turns and ending up frustrated when my caster gets assasinated and feeling frustrated that I'm not even sure what went wrong, like what been going on with my Convergence army.

So, I figure with the paingivers in hand beasts and more warlocks are probably first up on my to do list, followed up by some solos/infantry. That means Beast Master is the only warlock I have ATM. I have some Praetorian Swordsmen but I dunno if there's any other infantry I have to think about ATM.

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Last edited by Granis; 01-08-2017 at 08:07 PM.

Destroyer of Worlds

Skorne will get a big errata within two to three week. Because of that, it's hard to give advices. That being said, Xekaar (your warlock) is pretty weak to assassination due to low defensive stats and a need to be quite close to your opponent ; he is overall a pretty hard to play warlock. That being said, it's hard to name a warlock who is sure to still be easy to play or at least resilient to assassination after the errata ; currently, I would advice Hexeris 2 (Lord Arbiter Hexeris), because he have very reasonable defensive stats and no need to get close and personal.

Your LGS was likely exagerating its look, but Skorne have a reputation for weakness right now. Which is why a big errata is coming. I guess you can wait two or three week for advice ? If you want to buy right now, it's reasonable to take a titan kit. After that it will become more speculative.

Conqueror

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlmann View Post
    Skorne will get a big errata within two to three week. Because of that, it's hard to give advices. That being said, Xekaar (your warlock) is pretty weak to assassination due to low defensive stats and a need to be quite close to your opponent ; he is overall a pretty hard to play warlock. That being said, it's hard to name a warlock who is sure to still be easy to play or at least resilient to assassination after the errata ; currently, I would advice Hexeris 2 (Lord Arbiter Hexeris), because he have very reasonable defensive stats and no need to get close and personal.

Your LGS was likely exagerating its look, but Skorne have a reputation for weakness right now. Which is why a big errata is coming. I guess you can wait two or three week for advice ? If you want to buy right now, it's reasonable to take a titan kit. After that it will become more speculative.
    Ah, I didn't realize there was some errata coming, I guess I'll have to wait on advice, then.

Quote Originally Posted by Granis View Post
    and bought 2 units of paingiver beast handlers,
    Anyways, you cant go wrong here these are pretty great, and apparently getting better with the errata !

Are they min or max ? Not sure you need 2 max units...

Conqueror

Quote Originally Posted by esque View Post
    Anyways, you cant go wrong here these are pretty great, and apparently getting better with the errata !

Are they min or max ? Not sure you need 2 max units...
    They're minimum units, I didn't know if I needed to max them out or if I could get away with min units and just use them as a small support unit ala Choir or my Optifex Directives

They'll come in handy ! A full unit is common. Two min. units are also used. Rarely saw this in mk2. Back then
    each beast could be affected by 1 paingiver, but in mk3 several of them can condition/ heal the same beast.

Conqueror

If it helps, I started in Ret, then picked up Skorne as my hordes faction. From a gameplay perspective I find hordes WAY easier than warmachine.

Fury > focus in my opinion because it is only limited by how much risk you want to take. There's far less stress about who to allocate what to *before even starting your turn*, instead you force beasts as you need to throughout your turn giving hordes players a lot more flexibility and ability to modify plans when the dice are less than kind, or if you make a critical error.

Destroyer of Worlds Big Fat Troll's Avatar

You will find that order of activations is still very important but Fury is much more flexible than Focus, especially when the Paingivers can go last and fix the numbers for you. You will still have to watch out for support bloat. As for Xekaar, he is getting a character warbeast and IIRC it's pretty much been confirmed that the bond allows it to channel spells for him. If so, that will help a lot.
    "It is impossible to speak in such a way that you cannot be misunderstood."
    -Karl Popper

Destroyer of Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fat Troll View Post
    IIRC it's pretty much been confirmed that the bond allows it to channel spells for him. If so, that will help a lot.
    Source ? I have seen that only in wishlisting.

Destroyer of Worlds BarskeMannen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fat Troll View Post
    IIRC it's pretty much been confirmed that the bond allows it to channel spells for him. If so, that will help a lot.
    Now it just needs to give him Stealth and Refuge and we're in business!
    My tin dudes can take your tin dudes.

PbP characters: Vys Elyntheir (IWC)

I've been playing Xekaar since mid October when I started playing. He took me a few games to figure out but I won the last two casual games I played (75pts, vs Khador and Cygnar). His feet is defensive, but can offset the alpha strike. Figuring out when to drop it is important. He does like to run beasts, Cyclops shaman helps with spell range. Pursuit can help close charge lanes/ jam opponents beats/Jack's. He's part of his battle group, so psych surgery helps him to if he takes an early hit. I've been running him with full karak with ua, full PGBH, hakaar, Titan G,S,C, Cyclops B,S,Sh, Agonizer.