Default Destructible Terrain

Will we ever see the return of destructible terrain (outside of narritive league special scenarios)? With the errata changing the wording of siege weapon to affect huge models instead of structures, I'm guessing it's not coming back. I haven't seen any follow-ups on previous posts regarding this when MK3 first came out.

I used to like the option of wrecking the battlefield. I guess for casual games I could go back to the MK2 structure rules, but that feels wrong mixing editions :/

I'm not sure that it adds enough to justify the print-space or the complication.
    Maybe it could be done simply and I would welcome it, but I've rarely seen destructible terrain being done simply.

Siege still interacts with structures, so I'm not sure that the idea has been scrapped entirely. I'll have to wait and see how PP handle it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Other_Mike View Post
    The good thing about WM/H is there's always another chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeckert View Post
    It's a game it should always be enjoyable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    "Yes. Let us play toy soldiers like grown men!"

I think the problem with the MK2-rules with the destructible terrain was that you never could afford to have an 'eavy spend three turns on mashing a cottage...

Annihilator

Quote Originally Posted by Spideredd View Post
    I'm not sure that it adds enough to justify the print-space or the complication.
    Maybe it could be done simply and I would welcome it, but I've rarely seen destructible terrain being done simply.

Siege still interacts with structures, so I'm not sure that the idea has been scrapped entirely. I'll have to wait and see how PP handle it.
    Ages ago (mkI era) there were a few scenarios that specified destructible terrain. The rules went something along the lines of:
    Each player gets to place up to 3 obstacles or obstructions that would be normally found on a barge. These obstacles and obstructions are DEF 5, ARM 18 and have 15 boxes. When an obstacle or obstruction has its last box marked, remove it from the table.
    I do the hobbies! All glory to the hobby gods! (for those interested in Pathfinder, Eberron, Warmachine/Hordes please take a look at my blog 4d6kobolds!)

I wrote some quick reference docs for Warmachine mkIII.

Destroyer of Worlds

Unless you build a scenario around it, there probably isn't much reason to have destructible terrain. By the time you destroy it, you could have gone around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sathoon View Post
    I'm starting to see proteus as the golden retriever/collie cross of the legion beast 'vean' family: he's very loyal if a little soft round the edges at times, likes to herd other dragonspawn, and is always dragging things back to his warlock's army line looking for praise.

Terrain can be made destructable if it's an asset of the game. In order to make it something like that PP should have created and provided terrain. They have done so in the past and the Trench template also still excists but I have reasons to believe that the further idea was skipped.

Frankly speaking I don't see the advantage of destructable terrain in Warmachine or Hordes. There are just too many viarables who can create it through templates and enough players will not have the option to specifically create terrain for Warmachine and Hordes.

I just liked the option. I know most people didn't use it, but it was nice to have something to reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
    I just liked the option. I know most people didn't use it, but it was nice to have something to reference.
    While cool it also ultimatly thakes away from the essence of an army game and that's destroying each other's army.

In a skirmish game destructable terrain could totally be a part of it but for 28-32mm scales it's kinda difficult to apply in a logical way. By large because it forces terrain pieces to reasonably large anyway. But if you can stand on some of them, how do you properly remove them?
    Most terrain pieces used are walls, forests, static buildings and trenches (in case of WarmaHordes) there isn't too much destruction I'd really want to apply with that.

Currently I dont even see the 6-8 terrain pieces applied everywhere, let alone if we could also destroy them...

Destroyer of Worlds

Drop Zone, or something to that affect, had terrain you could destroy. Of course, you could also put your troopers inside said terrain. I think objectives were also in the terrain. Being able to destroy terrain was much more important. I think, I never actually played that game. In Warmachine, it was always kind of a neat fluffy rule that no one ever bothered to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by sathoon View Post
    I'm starting to see proteus as the golden retriever/collie cross of the legion beast 'vean' family: he's very loyal if a little soft round the edges at times, likes to herd other dragonspawn, and is always dragging things back to his warlock's army line looking for praise.

What I think could be adapted to warmachine would be rules for 'clearing' Terrain from battletech where you could reduce the benefits of Terrain by damaging it, i.e. turning a heavy forest into a light one. In warmachine this could be adapted so you could turn Rubble Terrain into just rough Terrain, or clear a forest so you could See through it, but still get cancels entfernt while completly within. Doing so would also solve the problem of how to remove the piece of Terrain while models are in it, as it would still be there, just with fewer benefits.

Characteristic fertilizer Wold-art: Vlad2, B13;
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS_Simon View Post
    Our harrier swarm is very well trained in tactical interdiction.

Destroyer of Worlds tutenkharnage's Avatar
    Mucking about in the swamps of western Immoren

How about terrain you can interact with? For example, you have a boulder that counts as impassable terrain but can be thrown, pushed, or slammed, or a structure that counts as impassable terrain but can be slammed half normal distance. I'm sure someone can come up with other examples.

I love the idea of a caster parking behind a house and a jack or beast trampling through it to get to the caster.
    *booooooom* Surprise ********.

Makes a lot more sense in a strategic game than terrain that randomly disappears.

Conqueror

I'd go for changeable terrain instead of destructible. I'd like be able to tear down an obstacle to create Rubble (and clear line of sight), set a forest on fire, and... flood a trench? OK, that might not come up much. But it would be cool if, e.g., Sorscha could hit shallow water with Freezing Grip to freeze it for a round. Barathrum could exchange Dig In for a star action that lets him place a trench. That kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by FallingAngel View Post
    I love the idea of a caster parking behind a house and a jack or beast trampling through it to get to the caster.
    *booooooom* Surprise ********.
    Im more of a Kool-Aid man visual here going OH YEAH as he drops a hammer on the poor unsuspecting casters head.
    Never underestimate the power of human stupidity. It can always surpass expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnustheJust View Post
    Khador is fine. It is the player base that needs the errata...
    Quote Originally Posted by Havock View Post
    I'd rather win a straight game than scoop up a cheap win because someone's brain just decided that 1+1=banana

I have played with homebrew destructible obstacles before and it is fun! At DEF 5 ARM 18 10 HP, it's cool that I can destroy it to open up a charge lane.

My last game of warmachine used those 3" AOE fog templates that randomly goes away. I definitely will try it out again because it's fun but will probably limit it to casual play. Need to also test out hazard terrain soon...
    Do check out https://instagram.com/tekanan165/ for pics of my adventures in the Iron Kingdoms!

I feel like you could probably just have destructible terrain be on normal miniature base sizes, similar to Steamroller Objectives. Would help keep the rules simplified and things like Siege Weapon could still work on huge base terrain.