Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 92

Thread: Jack theme

  1. #1
    Conqueror
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    250

    Default Jack theme

    Menoth Theme 2
    Protectorate Casters
    Non-Character Warjacks
    Avatar of Menoth
    Vassal Models/Units
    Choir
    Visigoth Rhoven
    Covenant of Menoth
    Hierophant Solos
    Initiate Durant
    Wrack Solos
    Protectorate Battle Engines

    For every 25 points of Battle Engines and Warjacks add 3 wracks or 1 other solo to the army free of cost

    Solos and Choir gain Reposition 3

    Friendly Models can begin game with upkeep spells in play.
    So this seems totally bonkers for Amon - I'll miss Allegiants but 10 or so free points, reposition on the Covenant and Choir, and getting out synergy turn 1 is all just money.

    Who else is it good for?

  2. #2

    Default

    Sevvy2 might run it, and Malekus can if you don't mind losing HoJ.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swampmist View Post
    Sevvy2 might run it, and Malekus can if you don't mind losing HoJ.
    well your always allowed to take your casters "character jack" the BOND rule allows it.

    soo swap HoJ for EoT and your golden.
    "In order to know how good you are at something requires exactly the same skills as it does to be good at that thing in the first place, which means — and this is terribly funny — that if you are absolutely no good at something at all, then you lack exactly the skills you need to know that you are absolutely no good at it.” - John-Cleese 2014.

  4. #4
    Annihilator Corvalis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    954

    Default

    Mad Dogs get errata'd. Everyone cheers. A fortnight later...

    Anson Durst, Rock of the Faith [+28]
    - Hierophant [0] (free from theme)
    - Devout [9]
    - Crusader [10]
    - Crusader [10]
    - Crusader [10]
    - Crusader [10]
    - Dervish [7]
    - Dervish [7]
    - Dervish [7]
    - Dervish [7]
    - Dervish [7]
    - Dervish [7]
    Choir of Menoth (min) [4]
    Choir of Menoth (min) [4]
    Choir of Menoth (min) [4]
    Vassal of Menoth [0] (free from theme)
    Vassal of Menoth [0] (free from theme)



    Well done, PP.
    The cynicism is strong in this one.
    Let go, Let go of your dispassionate indifference and join us on the hopeful side.

  5. #5
    Destroyer of Worlds Grey Templar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Umbrey, wracking Heretics while Vlad's not looking
    Posts
    10,859

    Default

    Is this theme really no units other than Vassal units(??? do want!) and Choir? Losing my Monks I can handle, but I think Amon really wants those idrians to do screening.

    I think this could be good for Tristan2.

    Tristan
    -Hierophant(free)
    -Crusader
    -Templar
    -Templar
    -Reckoner
    -Reckoner
    -Guardian

    3 Wracks(free)
    Vassal(free)
    Vassal
    3 Vassal Mechaniks

    Min Choir
    Max Choir

    75 points
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesoe View Post
    I have touched this man's Durst. I can tell you it is legit.
    The Protectorate's Official Cheer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyalas View Post
    Make 'em run! Make 'em burn!
    Make 'em wracks until they learn!
    Proooooo-tectorate!

  6. #6
    Conqueror Master Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    332

    Default

    I like the theme for Amon, though I'd really want a unit...any unit in it.

    Sevvy2 has some play in it but I don't see this list as viable for a lot of our 'casters...
    Everything that existed before I was born is irrelevant, everything that exists after I die is lucky.


  7. #7
    Annihilator
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Master Chris View Post
    I like the theme for Amon, though I'd really want a unit...any unit in it.

    Sevvy2 has some play in it but I don't see this list as viable for a lot of our 'casters...
    Just pay for like 5 or 6 Vassal Mechaniks, put them on the table and pretend! (Then take them off because FA:3 crushes dreams of pseudo units made of solos)
    I do the hobbies! All glory to the hobby gods! (for those interested in Pathfinder, Eberron, Warmachine/Hordes please take a look at my blog 4d6kobolds!)

    I wrote some quick reference docs for Warmachine mkIII.

  8. #8
    Annihilator
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    604

    Default

    Mad Dogs get errata'd. Everyone cheers. A fortnight later...

    Anson Durst, Rock of the Faith [+28]
    - Hierophant [0] (free from theme)
    - Devout [9]
    - Crusader [10]
    - Crusader [10]
    - Crusader [10]
    - Crusader [10]
    - Dervish [7]
    - Dervish [7]
    - Dervish [7]
    - Dervish [7]
    - Dervish [7]
    - Dervish [7]
    Choir of Menoth (min) [4]
    Choir of Menoth (min) [4]
    Choir of Menoth (min) [4]
    Vassal of Menoth [0] (free from theme)
    Vassal of Menoth [0] (free from theme)



    Well done, PP.
    This isn't really any different than pre-theme. Drop one Crusader and it's basically already a thing.

  9. #9
    Destroyer of Worlds
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,456

    Default

    Mad Dogs get errata'd. Everyone cheers. A fortnight later...
    except durst isnt giving everything boosted damage rolls on feat turn. its not really the same thing.

  10. #10
    Destroyer of Worlds BarskeMannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sundsvall, Sweden
    Posts
    2,037

    Default

    Who gives a damn about Durst?

    Amon runs this army already and it's just straight up free points for him. The army I'm currently running with Amon this is just 10 more points and some free bonuses like Reposition and Amon getting all his spells out for free so he can camp a bit on turn one. Suddenly my two Crusaders are also Templars.
    My tin dudes can take your tin dudes.

    PbP characters: Vys Elyntheir (IWC)

  11. #11
    Destroyer of Worlds
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,456

    Default

    yep amon was already contender for top3 now I think this cements his place

    same awesomeness as before except hes also getting 3 free solos now plus reposition on solos/choir

  12. #12

    Default

    Is anyone else eyeing 3eora? I'm thinking about using Repenters to clear infantry for the rest of the jacks to move up and attack plus block for her. We still get Rhode & Co for shield guards. Maybe a Castigator for an auto hitting POW14 from 9".

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chillychinaman View Post
    Is anyone else eyeing 3eora? I'm thinking about using Repenters to clear infantry for the rest of the jacks to move up and attack plus block for her. We still get Rhode & Co for shield guards. Maybe a Castigator for an auto hitting POW14 from 9".
    Definitely. The synergy between Rhoven Reckoner and Hand of Judgement is great as are Red Lined Incited Battled Dervishes. Not to mention free Covenant, Heirophant and Wracks.

  14. #14

    Default

    I'm in love with this for my list, as I run a VERY Jack heavy list! This is a great list to represent the joys that Menoth can provide to new players!

  15. #15
    Conqueror ReactantAborel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chillychinaman View Post
    Is anyone else eyeing 3eora? I'm thinking about using Repenters to clear infantry for the rest of the jacks to move up and attack plus block for her. We still get Rhode & Co for shield guards. Maybe a Castigator for an auto hitting POW14 from 9".
    Repo is great for choir so they dont have to run the first turn and you can still put out a passage or warding since 3eora is gonna be tossing out redline on something turn 1, that jack is going to want protection for sure.

  16. #16
    Annihilator Juggernautie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Covington WA
    Posts
    985

    Default

    Is that one of our new theme?
    Learned a new word, Catastrophizing.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernautie View Post
    Is that one of our new theme?
    yes, chain attacks facebook page posted 2 themes, feora 3 and eye of truth jack

  18. #18
    Legal Eagle paradox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    17,021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Corvalis View Post
    Mad Dogs get errata'd. Everyone cheers. A fortnight later...

    Anson Durst, Rock of the Faith [+28]
    - Hierophant [0] (free from theme)
    - Devout [9]
    - Crusader [10]
    - Crusader [10]
    - Crusader [10]
    - Crusader [10]
    - Dervish [7]
    - Dervish [7]
    - Dervish [7]
    - Dervish [7]
    - Dervish [7]
    - Dervish [7]
    Choir of Menoth (min) [4]
    Choir of Menoth (min) [4]
    Choir of Menoth (min) [4]
    Vassal of Menoth [0] (free from theme)
    Vassal of Menoth [0] (free from theme)

    Well done, PP.
    There's room for another dervish in there. 1 choir ought to do.

  19. #19

    Default

    I'm wondering if a good pop and drop Kreoss1 list is one the cards

    Kreoss with Reckoners + Tristan w/ 2x Redeemers, book and visgoth for protection. Maybe Avatar/FoS for pure muscle.

    I assume the book is free if you want it to be. Get two free vassals as well.

    Start with Lamentation and Defenders Ward. Run forward, catch them in the aura if they move more than walking speed.
    ~Chocolate Rain! Some stay dry and others feel the pain~

  20. #20

    Default

    Also, what about Harby jack spam now that you get three or so free solos? Can still take her fort with her (Rhoven et al, Book, Devout) and more room for three mechaniks.

    My assumption is Amon still does it better =P
    ~Chocolate Rain! Some stay dry and others feel the pain~

  21. #21
    Combatant pilgrim of bells's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charlzheimer View Post
    well your always allowed to take your casters "character jack" the BOND rule allows it.

    soo swap HoJ for EoT and your golden.
    Even on a list that says "non-character warjacks"?

  22. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pilgrim of bells View Post
    Even on a list that says "non-character warjacks"?
    It's in the rulebook under "theme forces". page 26

  23. #23
    Annihilator
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Templar View Post
    Is this theme really no units other than Vassal units(??? do want!) and Choir? Losing my Monks I can handle, but I think Amon really wants those idrians to do screening.

    I think this could be good for Tristan2.

    Tristan
    -Hierophant(free)
    -Crusader
    -Templar
    -Templar
    -Reckoner
    -Reckoner
    -Guardian

    3 Wracks(free)
    Vassal(free)
    Vassal
    3 Vassal Mechaniks

    Min Choir
    Max Choir

    75 points
    I actually feel like Amon runs better in the flameguard theme. Screen with a couple TFG, grab the souls with a sanctifier, and free girded for the dervishes.


    This theme probably works best for tristan2, certain reznik 1 builds, and Feora 2(imagine: the support keeping up with her jacks would be excellent).


    Overall though, I'm disappointed because the flameguard theme seems exceedingly restrictive as all of our non-jack armor cracking is MIA, plus no heiro, while this one allows us to basically squeeze an extra crusader or castigator, i guess. unscreened, one jack is unlikely to change much. Why no exemplars, PP?
    Choir Kills: 5

  24. #24
    Conqueror
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Why not just screen Amon's list with dervishes instead.

    The flameguard theme is terrible. Mostly because the majority of the flameguard units are terrible (flamebringers being the exception).

  25. #25
    Conqueror Master Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    332

    Default

    Severius1
    -Reckoner x2
    -Redeemer
    -Guardian
    -Crusader

    Tristan (free)
    -Templar
    -Redeemer

    Wrack x1
    Vassal (free)
    Vassal (free)

    Choir x4
    Choir x4

    It's a list that uses 2x Reckoner and 2x Redeemers to shoot one of the opposing heavies off the table and then asks the opponent: Can you deal with my five heavies?

    Probably not the optimal build for Sevvy1 under this theme but it feels like a start.
    Everything that existed before I was born is irrelevant, everything that exists after I die is lucky.


  26. #26
    Conqueror Alexemplar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
    Why not just screen Amon's list with dervishes instead.

    The flameguard theme is terrible. Mostly because the majority of the flameguard units are terrible (flamebringers being the exception).
    I'm having a blast with Daughters. They need very little in terms of support and their long threat range + acrobatics really messes with enemy plans.
    Murphy was an optimist.

  27. #27
    Destroyer of Worlds
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,456

    Default

    Why not just screen Amon's list with dervishes instead.

    The flameguard theme is terrible. Mostly because the majority of the flameguard units are terrible (flamebringers being the exception).
    Exactly. TFG are just plain bad. And Cleansers and Daughters are okay but fairly niche in the current meta. Flamebringers are the only truly good flameguard unit.

  28. #28

    Default

    I have a Thyra list which has 2 units of daughters, 2 units of Flamebringers and a full unit of TFG. From the theme, I get a free Nicia, free Phyrus and a free UA for TFG. 14 free points worth of models.

    Can't wait to give it ago.
    ~Chocolate Rain! Some stay dry and others feel the pain~

  29. #29

    Default

    I wonder how our Battle Engine can fit into those lists. Without a good offensive unit or solo, we can only really use Rhoven with Doors of Judgement.

  30. #30
    Destroyer of Worlds Cyel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Warsaw, Poland
    Posts
    1,244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
    majority of the flameguard units are terrible (flamebringers being the exception).
    Daughters terrible
    There's no such faction as "Menoth". You can't "play Menoth"

    There's the Protectorate.

  31. #31
    Combatant DeNantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Madrid, ES
    Posts
    11

    Default

    I'm gonna try to run it with Malekus, a little bit of Eye of Truth here, a front gunline over there, and Mr. Rhoven just behind in case he is needed...

    And Durant running a Redeemer on the side. Sounds fairly good to me, even if I'll miss some infantry...

  32. #32
    Destroyer of Worlds Spideredd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The Stycks, England
    Posts
    2,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
    The flameguard theme is terrible. Mostly because the majority of the flameguard units are terrible (flamebringers being the exception).
    I don't care if they're terrible, I have a lot of fun playing Cleasners.
    Hmmm, Assaulting 10" spray goodness.

    For what it's worth, I do feel that the Flameguard theme is a little underwhelming, but I find it intriguing enough to want to try it out. I feel that pFeora or pSevvy are the way forward for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Other_Mike View Post
    The good thing about WM/H is there's always another chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeckert View Post
    It's a game it should always be enjoyable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    "Yes. Let us play toy soldiers like grown men!"

  33. #33
    Conqueror
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spideredd View Post
    I don't care if they're terrible, I have a lot of fun playing Cleasners.
    Hmmm, Assaulting 10" spray goodness.

    For what it's worth, I do feel that the Flameguard theme is a little underwhelming, but I find it intriguing enough to want to try it out. I feel that pFeora or pSevvy are the way forward for me.
    I personally would add Thyra and Durst to that list
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnustheJust View Post
    We play with little toy army dudemans.

    Laugh at yourself once in a while folks... it's good for you.

  34. #34
    Combatant
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    9

    Default

    How about a Martyred Metal Mountain list like the following:

    Harbinger1 (The Harbinger of Menoth) -24
    - Templar 15
    - Templar 15
    - Vigilant 9
    - Hierophant 0 (free)
    Choir of Menoth (Leader and 3) 4
    Visgoth Juviah Rhoven & Honor Guard 9
    Initiate Tristan Durant 0 (free)
    - Judicator 36
    The Covenant of Menoth 0 (free)
    Vassal Mechanik 1
    Vassal Mechanik 1
    Vassal Mechanik 1
    Vassal of Menoth 3
    Vassal of Menoth 3
    Wrack 1
    Wrack 1

    To be fair, the only part of the theme it makes heavy use of is the free points. 75 points of jacks to get 11 free points of solo.

    4 arm 21 jacks, 4 shield guards, martyrdom to bring back your key support pieces who will be hiding behind the colossal all game and the feat to punish lightly armed weapon masters charging the colossal.

    You could make it more shooty with Reckoners in place of the Templars/Wracks.

  35. #35
    Annihilator
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Full of Faith View Post
    How about a Martyred Metal Mountain list like the following:

    Harbinger1 (The Harbinger of Menoth) -24
    - Templar 15
    - Templar 15
    - Vigilant 9
    - Hierophant 0 (free)
    Choir of Menoth (Leader and 3) 4
    Visgoth Juviah Rhoven & Honor Guard 9
    Initiate Tristan Durant 0 (free)
    - Judicator 36
    The Covenant of Menoth 0 (free)
    Vassal Mechanik 1
    Vassal Mechanik 1
    Vassal Mechanik 1
    Vassal of Menoth 3
    Vassal of Menoth 3
    Wrack 1
    Wrack 1

    To be fair, the only part of the theme it makes heavy use of is the free points. 75 points of jacks to get 11 free points of solo.

    4 arm 21 jacks, 4 shield guards, martyrdom to bring back your key support pieces who will be hiding behind the colossal all game and the feat to punish lightly armed weapon masters charging the colossal.

    You could make it more shooty with Reckoners in place of the Templars/Wracks.
    I've actually considered this, though without a judicator because I don't have one. I get the idea is to abuse harbinger's absurd control range and keep her like 15 inches behind the front line, and her focus pool to have what feels like Tristan 2 every turn, but it just fails to make use of most of her abilities I think.
    Choir Kills: 5

  36. #36

    Default

    It's a shame that the Jack theme doesn't have access to Jack Marshals for the few times they allow you to output higher performance.

  37. #37
    Annihilator
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chillychinaman View Post
    It's a shame that the Jack theme doesn't have access to Jack Marshals for the few times they allow you to output higher performance.
    You know, this had just occurred to me as well - #ShowerThoughts

    That seems like a major missed opportunity, since you don't see our JM's that much in other places. Also, the Reclaimer Gatekeeper is NOTHING if not a jack support model, so its omission is glaring for multiple reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayne Cobb
    "Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight... or if he bothers me... or if there's a woman... or if I'm gettin' paid..."

  38. #38
    Annihilator
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch4ngel View Post
    You know, this had just occurred to me as well - #ShowerThoughts

    That seems like a major missed opportunity, since you don't see our JM's that much in other places. Also, the Reclaimer Gatekeeper is NOTHING if not a jack support model, so its omission is glaring for multiple reasons.
    Actually, outside of a couple Kreoss1 lists, I've been using him as an anti-hordes ashen veil bot. To great effect, yes, but not as a jack support role at all.
    Choir Kills: 5

  39. #39
    Destroyer of Worlds Spideredd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The Stycks, England
    Posts
    2,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch4ngel View Post
    Also, the Reclaimer Gatekeeper is NOTHING if not a jack support model, so its omission is glaring for multiple reasons.
    Where will he get souls from?

    Actually, never mind, you can take three max Choir and slaughter them all if you need to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Other_Mike View Post
    The good thing about WM/H is there's always another chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeckert View Post
    It's a game it should always be enjoyable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    "Yes. Let us play toy soldiers like grown men!"

  40. #40

    Default

    Im guessing the upkeeps you start with in play are friendly upkeeps? It would be dumb if you can start the game with brand of heresy up

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •