Default Starting the Hobby Again

I have recently convinced a couple friends to get into warma-hordes, as my collection has been collecting dust this is great news. It has been quite awhile since I've touched warmachine, I only own the original black and white prime rulebook. As this rulebook is most likely outdated, where should I start?

I noticed there are plenty of rule books out; wrath, vengeance, reckoning, prime. I want to be up to date on current rules so that when my friends are ready to play there aren't so many speed bumps. I was thinking about getting just the prime book, but are the others required?

Also some of my friends are getting into hordes, what i've heard is that they follow the same rules, except hordes has some minor differences with their beasts/warlocks. Would the prime rulebook work for both, as long as they get the hordes digest rules in the start pack?

Destroyer of Worlds

The rule book you talk of are all for the old edition. They have interesting lore, but nothing relevant rule wise.

The prime book is the only one required, and contain everything for horde too. It's also free to download.

Thanks for the info Ohlmann, just what I needed. Is there any talk of a new expansion/rulebook coming out?

Destroyer of Worlds

Yes, the command books serie is underway, with the trollblood one being already here and the Protectorate one being in the street in two days.

They are book with a few new model, fluffs (and stats) for a bunch of existing model, quite a bit of lore on the faction, and a painting guide. I will buy them all, if only because they are pretty, but they aren't mandatory by any mean.

Destroyer of Worlds RandomThoughts's Avatar

Please note, the digests in the new battle boxes are identical to the free digital rulebook, so if people start buying battle boxes, you have everything you need (ruleswise) anyway - although you might still need cards for your old models. Your three options are basically buy a faction deck (or two, if you also have mercs / minions), get warroom 2, or wait for the free cards pdfs for self-print.

Also make sure you get the MK3 cards (2016 faction decks).

If you have any more questions, shoot!

*placeholder for witty one-liner*

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlmann View Post
    Yes, the command books serie is underway, with the trollblood one being already here and the Protectorate one being in the street in two days.

They are book with a few new model, fluffs (and stats) for a bunch of existing model, quite a bit of lore on the faction, and a painting guide. I will buy them all, if only because they are pretty, but they aren't mandatory by any mean.
    Thanks for the info, I will most likely buy the command books, sounds like they will have some good art.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomThoughts View Post
    Please note, the digests in the new battle boxes are identical to the free digital rulebook, so if people start buying battle boxes, you have everything you need (ruleswise) anyway - although you might still need cards for your old models. Your three options are basically buy a faction deck (or two, if you also have mercs / minions), get warroom 2, or wait for the free cards pdfs for self-print.

Also make sure you get the MK3 cards (2016 faction decks).

If you have any more questions, shoot!
    Thanks for the reminder about cards, I forgot about those. Do you know of any good online websites for shopping for PP products?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Thanks for the reminder about cards, I forgot about those. Do you know of any good online websites for shopping for PP products?
    Depends - which country are you from? Which continent?

United States, i've looked some on amazon, I feel they're stuff could be a bit older though.

Nor sure if we're allowed to discuss discounters here on the forums or not, but I'm pretty sure it's allowed to mention that Discount Games has a very useful database of tournament lists that every player should know about...
    Last edited by RandomThoughts; 01-10-2017 at 02:30 PM.