Conqueror

Default State of the Meta

Hey everyone. I took a break for about half of a year now and am just coming back. I haven't played a single game since MK3 came out, and I am finally feeling somewhat at home with our models again. What should I be looking out for as far as the meta is concerned?

I have seen talks about Heavy spam lately, and a general lack of infantry. How bad is that? Are we talking NO infantry? Or 1-2 units? Are there a lot of gunlines/no gunlines? Is armor skew still the go to thing? What am I working with here? Thanks in advance for the replies and helping a druid get back on his feet with current events here.

Destroyer of Worlds

Well, local metas are going to vary a lot, so if you're going to be playing somewhere that isn't a convention with lots of folks traveling, you might see things that are very different from what others see.

In my experience though:
    Gunlines are prominent, in that they show up with some frequency and are really rough if you don't have a good counter like Wurmwood, Baldur2 or to a lesser extent Baldur1, Kreuger1, Kreuger2 etc. Several gunlines ignore cloud effects and stealth either entirely, on critical pieces, or for a turn so some players (like me) feel driven to play Wurmwood as the most reliable gunline counter.

Heavies, especially jacks, are prominent with lots of lists having 2-4, but some going as far as 7 without being corner case. Bring something that can break some hard targets.

Infantry is rarer than it was. Melee infantry in full sized units is very rare, being mostly statyxis raiders and soul hunters from cryx, halbadiers and sentinals from ret (who still have great infantry), and some things like Iron fang pikemen from Khador (who also kept great infantry). Cygnar plays storm lances in many lists, but also shoots things with them.

Sentry stones from circle and hell mouths from legion (a new model with weird rules) see a lot of play, filling in the jamming and screening roles that some other units would have filled in those factions in the past.

Cryx is dramatically less popular than it was, in no small part because it is dramatically less powerful that it was.

If you were going to look at just a few boogymen casters, I'd say the high reclaimer, haley3, una2, lylleth3 and wurmwood would be the ones I would look at.

But you know, you might only see trollbloods and CoC for your first 12 games of MK3.

Conqueror

Quote Originally Posted by Po the Barbarian View Post
    Well, local metas are going to vary a lot, so if you're going to be playing somewhere that isn't a convention with lots of folks traveling, you might see things that are very different from what others see.

In my experience though:
    Gunlines are prominent, in that they show up with some frequency and are really rough if you don't have a good counter like Wurmwood, Baldur2 or to a lesser extent Baldur1, Kreuger1, Kreuger2 etc. Several gunlines ignore cloud effects and stealth either entirely, on critical pieces, or for a turn so some players (like me) feel driven to play Wurmwood as the most reliable gunline counter.

Heavies, especially jacks, are prominent with lots of lists having 2-4, but some going as far as 7 without being corner case. Bring something that can break some hard targets.

Infantry is rarer than it was. Melee infantry in full sized units is very rare, being mostly statyxis raiders and soul hunters from cryx, halbadiers and sentinals from ret (who still have great infantry), and some things like Iron fang pikemen from Khador (who also kept great infantry). Cygnar plays storm lances in many lists, but also shoots things with them.

Sentry stones from circle and hell mouths from legion (a new model with weird rules) see a lot of play, filling in the jamming and screening roles that some other units would have filled in those factions in the past.

Cryx is dramatically less popular than it was, in no small part because it is dramatically less powerful that it was.

If you were going to look at just a few boogymen casters, I'd say the high reclaimer, haley3, una2, lylleth3 and wurmwood would be the ones I would look at.

But you know, you might only see trollbloods and CoC for your first 12 games of MK3.
    Thanks. I'm sure I'll see plenty of variation in my local meta, but it's always good to understand what the general meta of the game is currently to see what people are doing. This helped a lot. Thanks.

I'm in a similar position to the OP, but haven't played for a couple of years.

From what I understand, Una2, Scarsfells, Wurmwood, and Sentry Stones are the new faction staples. Are there any other models that are essential for Circle in MK3?

Things I'd look into are: one of each wolf including ghetorix and megalith beast wise.

Conqueror

Quote Originally Posted by TheTomikaze View Post
    Things I'd look into are: one of each wolf including ghetorix and megalith beast wise.
    Most Casters are playable.

Sentrystones, bloodtrackers and Reeves for units.
    Shiftingstones wayfarers and Wilder and you're set

Destroyer of Worlds BarskeMannen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by extraheretical View Post
    I'm in a similar position to the OP, but haven't played for a couple of years.

From what I understand, Una2, Scarsfells, Wurmwood, and Sentry Stones are the new faction staples. Are there any other models that are essential for Circle in MK3?
    I would suggest the Pureblood Warpwolf, Gorax Rager, Shifting Stones and Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew.

Unless you absolutely want a unit for your strategy, getting practice in with your Sentry Stones will let them fight (and win) most fights against other units leaving your battlegroup to fight theirs points-up. Blood Trackers, Reeves of Orboros and a few other options all see limited play, but are absolutely not essential.
    My tin dudes can take your tin dudes.

PbP characters: Vys Elyntheir (IWC)