Default Thexus/Bart Evaluation Please!

Hey everyone,

New to Mercs while I take a break from my Trollbloods. I've built what I'm hoping is a competitive enough pairing to serve as a distraction that play very differently from what I'm used to.

I'd love to get some C&C on what I've got, and any problem matchups you think might arise. My current Thexus list is 3 points short, in case I want to swap my subduer to a wrecker, or change out Alexia to another Wrecker. Not sure how else I can fill the 3 points atm.

Thanks for looking!

Mercenary Army - 74 / 75 points

(Montador 1) Captain Bartolo Montador [+26]
    - Sylys Wyshnalyrr, The Seeker [4]
    - Galleon [39]
    - Nomad [11]
    - Nomad [11]
    - Nomad [11]
    The Commodore Cannon & Crew [7]
    Ragman [4]
    Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios [7]
    Hutchuck, Ogrun Bounty Hunter [6]

Mercenary Army - 72 / 75 points
    Theme: Operating Theater

(Thexus 1) Exulon Thexus [+29]
    - Wrecker [14]
    - Warden [10]
    - Subduer [11]
    Alexia Ciannor & the Risen [10]
    - Cephalyx Dominator [1]
    Cephalyx Mind Slaver & Drudges (max) [12]
    Cephalyx Mind Slaver & Drudges (max) [12]
    Cephalyx Mind Bender & Drudges (max) [11]
    Cephalyx Mind Bender & Drudges (max) [11]
    Cephalyx Agitator [3]
    Cephalyx Agitator [3]
    Cephalyx Agitator [3]
    Cephalyx Overlords [0]

They're both very solid. I can think of a few different ways you might tinker with each, but there's nothing you really strictly need to do to improve either of the two lists. However, some feedback that might help you tweak them;

Bartolo
    The core of your list is extremely solid, but you might think about how valuable the expensive solos you've taken are. You’re floating a point already, so that 7pt Eiryss and 6pt Hutchuk could both be 7pt Talons that will be getting a free focus and Batten every turn. Alternatively, a cheap infantry presence might operate well in support of your extremely strong battlegroup. I’ve been getting excellent use out of minimum halberdier units in support of heavy battlegroups, provided you play them conservatively as support pieces and don't commit them in advance of the heavies into the teeth of anti-infantry firepower.

Thexus
    Off the bat, you’re only 3pts of infantry short of getting a second free overlord unit. Flex your infantry options to spend those last 3pts and get 8pts free. The quickest and easiest way would be to cut an agitator (two will suffice for three heavies) and add a Dominator and Eliminators.
    Judge since 5th November 2013

H-phlegm -ah-dor

Destroyer of Worlds

You are three points short in your Thexus list and you have only 57 points of infantry? The simplest way of spending those three points is to exchange one maximum mind bender unit for two minimum - and get a unit of Overlords for free. Almost everything else you could do after that is a matter of seasoning to taste (I also favour three minimum slavers over two maximum just because of how bad drudges get when you take out the leader - and there's also the question of whether you want to try sliding Kayazy Eliminators or Aiyana & Holt into that list).

I played a game this evening with the 60pts of infantry (62, actually) running Alexia1 and a full Cutthroat unit. It unpacked and played as well as I could hope for, but the experience makes me look in retrospect at the prospect of a full forty drudges plus Alexia plus the rest of the list and recoil in horror at the thought of trying to put it through its paces on the table. SPD5 0.5" melee troops with no pathfinder are unwieldy and a half.

Ajax_xaja, you said you've played trollbloods so might be more prepared for it than some, but go into that list infantry loadout with both eyes open.

H-phlegm -ah-dor

Destroyer of Worlds UmbrellaCorp487's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Shepherd View Post
    I played a game this evening with the 60pts of infantry (62, actually) running Alexia1 and a full Cutthroat unit. It unpacked and played as well as I could hope for, but the experience makes me look in retrospect at the prospect of a full forty drudges plus Alexia plus the rest of the list and recoil in horror at the thought of trying to put it through its paces on the table. SPD5 0.5" melee troops with no pathfinder are unwieldy and a half.

Ajax_xaja, you said you've played trollbloods so might be more prepared for it than some, but go into that list infantry loadout with both eyes open.
    I played my version of the 60 infantry thexus list yesterday
    Thexus
    Wrecker
    Wrecker
    2 x Min Bender
    1 Max Bender
    2 x Max Slavers
    Alexia
    Aiyana(sp?) & Holt
    2 x Agitator
    2 x Free Overlords

Deploying both over lord units where there is terrain issues seems to be the way to go. having both min units of benders on either flank works out nice depending on where you need to ambush. Over all the list played great and my game was actually into Cephalyx's worst nightmare, epic Severius, whos feat just removes our unit leaders. Still ended up winning after a long game but this list has some wheels.
    Stick your head in the microwave and get yourself a tan!

Thanks so much for all of the great insight and advice everyone.

I got a chance to play a game of each list yesterday, and I'm glad what I'm reporting back is basically exactly what you guys are finding.

I played Thexus into Issyria + Hyperion, and even with an ambushing unit of slavers to tie up the invictors, it was way too unwieldy to unpack 40 models on my deployment line, made even worse by a lack of pathfinder. I don't think Alexia helps the list much for what I want to do with it. Flooding the board with bodies was nice, but shrinking my benders down to min units is starting to sound nice. A second wrecker definitely felt necessary, losing my only really heavy hitter was a huge problem. Not sure I need the subduer either, as cool a model as he is.

@UmbrellaCorp487, I'm glad you found some success with the list, maybe this all comes down to my lack of play time with thexus. I feel like he's definitely one of those casters I'll really need to put reps in with to win games with.

As for Bart, I'm really enjoying the list. It's just like being back in trolls, but with a useful gun platform and not anchored to a krielstone.

@Robert Shepherd, I think I'll take your advice and drop Hutchuck. Eiryss and Hutchuck do similar things of controlling the board with their threat, but two is definitely overkill for models that are sitting around waiting for that one big moment. I like your talon idea, as I did feel like I needed another model to contest split scenarios with, but I'm also leaning heavily towards taking Orin and a tinker. I played into Calaban (and had to basically switch lists against Issyria who countered me hard with Blinding Light) and felt like Arcane Vortex would have solved those issues for me. Being able to stop things like Crip grasp, mag hold, blinding light, and parasite seem to important when you have as many points as you do sunk into the Galleon.

I'll continue to play around and report back on this thread until I settle on a finalized pairing. I promised myself I'd limit myself to Thexus/Bart only since this'll be my secondary faction, so I'm hoping to keep this thread alive as a journal of sorts.

Thanks again!

Just an update:

I've gone ahead and dropped Hutchuck in favor of Orin and a Tinker, and it's working out great. Orin stopping all of the debuffs that might help to kill my galleon is too good to pass up, and removing high def or ambushing models with his chain lightning is great. Glad I went with that decision.

I'm now considering dropping Eiryss and Sylys for another Nomad. I'm not entirely sure how much I really need Sylys, since I'm almost never casting any offensive spells that need boosting. 4 points for a free focus every turn seems expensive...but we'll see how it plays out. I suppose that extra attack or boost when I need it could be useful as well. Eiryss also does a great job of serving as a distraction. Thoughts?

I think dropping Syllys is probably a good idea. Consider: Syllys is 4pts for a FOC each turn. Taking an extra Nomad also gives you a FOC each turn.

Something you might want to try if you feel like proxying the models is transitioning the list to Kingmaker. Your support staff gets cut down and you can no longer take the Commodore, but in place you can take a unit of Rangers to make the Galleon RAT7. Throw in a unit of Halberdiers for some infantry presence and you've got your 20pts of infantry and now Orin is free. The remaining points can be spent on an even larger battlegroup (or more infantry if you feel like it; you can't really have too many rangers).

(Not that I'd blame you if you wanted to keep the Commodore. It's pretty excellent.)

H-phlegm -ah-dor