Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Destroyer of Worlds Evil Necromancer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chrisBatson View Post
    I do not like theme forces at all. In my experience, they water down the environment so much, that it makes the game dull and with little variation. Oh, you play trolls? No, just EE and other one. I mean, already every local player only run King Makers or Operating Theater.

Sorry to be crabby, but dislike.
    King makers do not let you run rhulics or some strong pieces like ayanna and holy. I don't know I think is fair. Operating theatre it's more of a limitation for cephalix to not let them take other mercs than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisBatson View Post
    I do not like theme forces at all. In my experience, they water down the environment so much, that it makes the game dull and with little variation. Oh, you play trolls? No, just EE and other one. I mean, already every local player only run King Makers or Operating Theater.

Sorry to be crabby, but dislike.
    I haven't been in this game for very long, but the way I remember MkII most theme forces did not get played because they were more about being fluffy than giving any sort of real advantage (you'd get a few free solos or a couple of extra inches of deployment or something, but usually not enough to overcome the limitations in unit selection); people on the forums were generally somewhat negative towards typical theme forces for that reason. I guess PP figured there was no point if people didn't play them, and that they therefore had to "worth" playing for competitive reasons?

I have never played any theme forces myself, though I've considered a couple (I liked the idea of advanced-deploying Pathfinder AKs in Strakhov's old theme, Black Ops I think it was called, but I really didn't think you could fit enough armour cracking into that list to make it useable in my, heh, "meta"... sorry, in-joke.), so I don't really have much to say about what theme forces "should" do, but from what I hear it does sound like they can stifle creativity if they are too good.

So what would I like from a Khador theme force? Personally I still like the idea of playing Morrowans in Khador; I don't see that happening right now, but perhaps some day in the future PP will explore the Morrowan theme a little more, and maybe when that happens Khador will get to join in on the fun a little bit.
    Last edited by Soul Samurai; 01-11-2017 at 02:47 AM.

Here is my guess for a Man o War Theme.
    Khador Theme - Shock Assault

Any Khador Warcaster and Non Character Warjack
    Any Man o War Unit
    + UA, WA
    Man o War Solos
    Assault Kommandos + UA, WA
    AK Solos
    Battle Mekchanics

For every 25pts spent on Man o war units and UA's - Add a free Med based solo, UA or max unit of Mechanics

Assault Kommandos gain Advanced Deployment

After deployment you may redeploy 1 unit, kovnic and marshalled jack or All Man o War Solos to a legal space

Marshaled Jacks Gain Shield Guard

What do you think?
    Last edited by MrHaystacks; 01-11-2017 at 02:52 AM. Reason: spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS_Hungerford View Post
    Day Two Back From Vacation
    Dear Diary,
    Someone posted a thing about errata. I got the forums arguing about cartoons instead.
    2017 is going to be alright.
    Sincerely,Me

Quote Originally Posted by Tempests_Wrath View Post
    Im kinda hoping for a resurrection of B3's old 'Blood in the Snow' Theme. Or close to it.

I want a way to field more than one wardog
    I specifically rebased a number of my old GW Fenrisian wolves (made from the old DoW Hobgoblin guy's mount) for this. I want my horde of hounds back PP!
    "Licking an electrical outlet will not turn you into a Mighty Morphin Power Ranger"

Destroyer of Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by Ganso View Post
    I don't think PP wants to push the limits by encouraging us to spam units that can take Rockets
    They most certainly do seem to push that ! Remember Jason Soles playing that crazy double Gun Carriages list with a bucket of WG and a Conquest? From that demo I was fairly certain that they said it was a hint to the future.

So what I think the case is:
    - MoW Theme, with some more niche restrictions
    - WG Theme, with less restrictions (by large because it's the representation of the bread and butter lore Khador)

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingWizard View Post
    Pfff, Kyazy will never get ambush. Or it will be a unit without access to backstab. Negating most of the advantage.
    Agreed, maby Eliminators but really I think that PP rather will push the Man O War and cheap Winter Guard button much more. It's also thematic. I can't even recall much lore mentioning Kayazy at all in terms of a functional use in warfare. They where a part of Butcher's backstore but those where all in-Khador fights...

Quote Originally Posted by JDAntoine View Post
    They most certainly do seem to push that ! Remember Jason Soles playing that crazy double Gun Carriages list with a bucket of WG and a Conquest? From that demo I was fairly certain that they said it was a hint to the future.
    This.

My guess is on a WG and Iron Fang theme. Both have plenty of models and wont need any releases for a theme force. I really hope the WG theme does something to make the WGI more viable. Every time I play against Trenchers and my head boggles from trying to remember all their special rules, I wonder why we can't have some of that utility and a bit less of the cannon fodder.
    MK3 Track Record: B3 (7/4), B1 (1/3), S1 (1/2), Kozlov (JML, 2/0)

Gaming Group Battle Reports: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheMightyDie

Destroyer of Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by SteelTitan View Post
    This.

My guess is on a WG and Iron Fang theme. Both have plenty of models and wont need any releases for a theme force. I really hope the WG theme does something to make the WGI more viable. Every time I play against Trenchers and my head boggles from trying to remember all their special rules, I wonder why we can't have some of that utility and a bit less of the cannon fodder.
    To be honest I think most WG can allready be played, especially now since the recent change. However every small boost helps and if the outcome will be free UA's and solo's for every 25 points spend onto WG you can really build up quite the numberous backbone. Obviously Jozef can't be everywhere but we have allready proven how silly multiple Rocketeers can become under the right Warcaster (Vladimir 1/Butcher 1).

I think we'll recieve some of that utility. I think Relentless Charge is almost a given and also would be very much in theme with our Thornwood/5th Border forces. I don't dare asking for much more though, as said Winter Guard are better as most are willing to give credit for. You don't want to play them into gunlines but that's the whole point of them aswell .

I believe that the Iron Fang theme will be kept for another book. Man-O-War Theme and Winter Guard Theme have been put onto display and talk so often that I think this is exactly what we'll get now. Unfortunatly it will also mean that Kozlov will not recieve a character Jack as we'll likely see that Man-O-War Battle Engine.

Leading to the possible new models being:
    - Man-O-Warcaster
    - Man-O-Battle Engine
    - Man-O-War Forge Seer (another MoW solo to consider)
    - Sorscha 3 (Winter Guard queen)
    - Winter Guard Artillery Kapitan (another free WG solo to consider)

Conqueror

Quote Originally Posted by MrHaystacks View Post
    Khador Theme - Shock Assault

Any Khador Warcaster and Non Character Warjack
    Any Man o War Unit
    + UA, WA
    Man o War Solos
    Assault Kommandos + UA, WA
    AK Solos
    Battle Mekchanics

For every 25pts spent on Man o war units and UA's - Add a free Med based solo, UA or max unit of Mechanics

Assault Kommandos gain Advanced Deployment

After deployment you may redeploy 1 unit, kovnic and marshalled jack or All Man o War Solos to a legal space

Marshaled Jacks Gain Shield Guard

What do you think?
    Love it! Nothing more to say, except need a like button!

Would love that!

Quote Originally Posted by Skathrex View Post
    Love it! Nothing more to say, except need a like button!

Would love that!
    Thanks, I'm trying to find some sort of bonus for the AK's, but with out all the diversity of the WGI I figured that they would be used to support the Man o Wars.
    Dear Diary,
    Someone posted a thing about errata. I got the forums arguing about cartoons instead.
    Sincerely,Me

I used to really like the old Butcher1 Claws of the Dragon theme.

36, slightly reduced cost, Pikemen that could move up to 18" on turn 1, with a bonus to the starting roll.

I wouldn't mind seeing it come back and usable by more casters.

My favorite old tier list was Charge of the Horse lord so here's hoping there is an theme force that allows all the ponies.

Do we have any idea when the command book is being released?

Quote Originally Posted by VorlonWarLord View Post
    My favorite old tier list was Charge of the Horse lord so here's hoping there is an theme force that allows all the ponies.
    We can do that now. The main bonus was the upped FA, which they included with the upgrade to mk3. The other stuff was really nice but not back breaking on models that are so fast.
    Dear Diary,
    Sincerely,Me

We can do that now. The main bonus was the upped FA, which they included with the upgrade to mk3. The other stuff was really nice but not back breaking on models that are so fast.
    It would be a cool theme to update though, we are the faction with the most in-faction horsies. Though I guess trickier to make sense to run with casters that aren't Vlad 3.

Quote Originally Posted by JDAntoine View Post
    I don't doubt we're getting a WG theme, I just don't think we will get it NOW.

After the way the forums have been going, giving us a Theme force with MOAR ROCKETS! is asking for trouble :P the Smart Money is on giving themselves this 4 month breather until our Forces Book comes out.

Annihilator The Armchair Warrior's Avatar

So to add to our hype and speculation train, Menoth just got their themes.

The first is a Flameguard theme. Feora dialed up to 11. For every 20 points of Flameguard units they get a free solo or attachment. Plus, warjacks gain Girded (cool for them... that sounds like a hard counter now to much of our anti stealth tech). And, one of their Daughters of the Flame unit get Ambush. That's super cool (for them).

The second is a jack theme. For every 25 points they get an eligible solo (or 3 wrecks), plus their solos and the Choir get Reposition 3". Friendly models and units begin the game with upkeeps out. I'm not a menoth player but this also seems legit.

. . .

What do you think?
    Given the new MOW Forge Seer, this would be pretty neat.

Still I think double shock trooper boat is sorta niche, and the other MOW need help to be worth fielding.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Samurai View Post
    I haven't been in this game for very long, but the way I remember MkII most theme forces did not get played because they were more about being fluffy than giving any sort of real advantage (you'd get a few free solos or a couple of extra inches of deployment or something, but usually not enough to overcome the limitations in unit selection); people on the forums were generally somewhat negative towards typical theme forces for that reason. I guess PP figured there was no point if people didn't play them, and that they therefore had to "worth" playing for competitive reasons?
    Well they were either this or were pretty much "take this or you're deliberately gimping yourself" since they gave things like significant cost discounts to all the things you wanted to take anyway (Vayl2, EE), sweeping amounts of AD for scenario (Axis), breaking of FA to allow for spam (Butcher2, Runes), or amazing perks like starting with your offensive upkeeps out (Denny2).

There wasn't a lot of middle ground, they were either really, really good or limiting for fluff with no actual benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelbinnean View Post
    Given the new MOW Forge Seer, this would be pretty neat.

Still I think double shock trooper boat is sorta niche, and the other MOW need help to be worth fielding.

Well they were either this or were pretty much "take this or you're deliberately gimping yourself" since they gave things like significant cost discounts to all the things you wanted to take anyway (Vayl2, EE), sweeping amounts of AD for scenario (Axis), breaking of FA to allow for spam (Butcher2, Runes), or amazing perks like starting with your offensive upkeeps out (Denny2).

There wasn't a lot of middle ground, they were either really, really good or limiting for fluff with no actual benefits.
    These new ones will avoid a lot of the old issues from the MK2 lists. The reason being the benefits are more general and since you can use different casters it will feel like very different lists. A man o war theme with Strakhov at the helm will play very differently with Hark, or Irusk or Zerkova ect.
    Dear Diary,
    Sincerely,Me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12