Conqueror

Default New to the game. List advice.

Brand new to the game and I have compiled my first list and while doing so I tried to make it balanced. I just moved to a new area so I am unsure of the meta, but the community is a thriving experience for warmahordes veterans and rookies. If there are any suggestions to add or remove from the list below please explain why because being a new player I may have overlooked something obvious. I tend to be more competitive than casual so I welcome any and all suggestions.

Army Size 75pts

Warlock- Ragnor (WB +30)

Battle Group- Mauler x2 (30 Pts)
    Bomber (19 Pts)
    Pyre Troll (9Pts)

Infantry/Units- 2x Fire eaters (14pts) ** I believe this is the correct point value
    Full unit of Kriel Stone bearer + CA (9 pts+CA 3 Pts= 12pts)
    Full Unit of warders (17 pts)
    Trollkin Runebearer (4pts)

Conqueror

Try it out and come back asking for some more specific help

Quote Originally Posted by Cuberic View Post
    Try it out and come back asking for some more specific help
    I agree with Cuberic, but I'll add a couple of things from my play experiences...First, it looks like a pretty normal Ragnor list, very playable. Second, most people are shying away from max stones these days...In my experience Ragnor has trouble filling it. Third, warders will be excellent under Ragnor's feat....probably almost unkillable, my question is only if you need 5 of them to accomplish what you want? Using a min unit and dropping the stone to min+CA would allow you to add an axer for example.

Conqueror

Thank you both for your responses. I will try the list out and return with more focused questions in the future.

Your list looks very reasonable. You have a mix of melee and ranged options and you have included no obvious stinkers. Naturally the list can always be tweaked. I for one am partial to using Mauler + Earthborn rather than 2 Maulers nowadays, but it is nothing major.

What you may find is that it could be hard to contest the opponents side of the table in the long run. The FEs can get up there quickly, but they will inevitably die in short order, and then you have to rely on your slow sturdy things to get there. You really have to get far up the board quickly and win hard on attrition so that you do not lose on scenario. The list has very limited assassination potential, o scenario is your first victory condition. You can probably clear your own zone easily enough, but contesting could be an issue. You probably should try and keep a FE or two in reserve so they can run in and contest on rounds 3-4. If you havent won on attrition by then, things could start going down hill. This is not to say that the list is bad. All lists have weaknesses, and this is probably your particular weakness.

Good luck, and welcome to the game

Conqueror

Quote Originally Posted by Trollock View Post
    Your list looks very reasonable. You have a mix of melee and ranged options and you have included no obvious stinkers. Naturally the list can always be tweaked. I for one am partial to using Mauler + Earthborn rather than 2 Maulers nowadays, but it is nothing major.

What you may find is that it could be hard to contest the opponents side of the table in the long run. The FEs can get up there quickly, but they will inevitably die in short order, and then you have to rely on your slow sturdy things to get there. You really have to get far up the board quickly and win hard on attrition so that you do not lose on scenario. The list has very limited assassination potential, o scenario is your first victory condition. You can probably clear your own zone easily enough, but contesting could be an issue. You probably should try and keep a FE or two in reserve so they can run in and contest on rounds 3-4. If you havent won on attrition by then, things could start going down hill. This is not to say that the list is bad. All lists have weaknesses, and this is probably your particular weakness.

Good luck, and welcome to the game
    Thank you for the insight and alternative choice for the Mauler. I have read some of your other posts and was thinking about it. Next step for me is to test it out. Thank you for the help.