Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Destroyer of Worlds Octavius_Maximus's Avatar

Default January 2017 Theme List - Storm Division

The first round of Theme forces are coming out next week and it was confirmed that they aren't necessarily theme forces from the command books, but they are made up of themes that are well fleshed out in units.

To that end I'd say that we are probably looking towards getting either Storm Brigade, Grave Diggers or Sons of the Tempest.

They also mentioned, a while ago granted, that Sons of the Tempest was being trialled with CRA for Gun Mages. While I don't think this is enough of a change, I'll be curious to see if that stayed.

UPDATE FROM MOD: This thread started as speculation. The list is now out, discussion of it starts on the second page, around post 50. - Dave
    Last edited by Mod_Dvandom; 01-12-2017 at 11:16 AM.

Annihilator

They also mentioned, a while ago granted, that Sons of the Tempest was being trialled with CRA for Gun Mages. While I don't think this is enough of a change, I'll be curious to see if that stayed.
    That doesn't do much for me personally. Like, it's a nice tool, but doesn't fundamentally change my desire to take them. Maybe if they get CRA, free CA and immunity to blast.

I agree that it could be any of those 3 themes. If all storm nouns are counted, the storm brigade is easily the most fleshed out theme in the faction (possibly in the game, maybe being exemplars) as we've got 5 units, 3 solos, a BE, and 5 electrical immune light/heavy jacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Aegis View Post
    The only effect would be them nerfing Haley2 and she using her time control abilities to deflect the nerf on her past self.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkwisely View Post
    That doesn't do much for me personally. Like, it's a nice tool, but doesn't fundamentally change my desire to take them. Maybe if they get CRA, free CA and immunity to blast.
    Agreed, considering they had it already (a better version too) and now lost it, it's not a very compelling reason to take them.
    The only effect would be them nerfing Haley2 and she using her time control abilities to deflect the nerf on her past self.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBarren View Post
    Agreed, considering they had it already (a better version too) and now lost it, it's not a very compelling reason to take them.
    I'd be willing to argue that the restrictions on arcane inferno (no shot types, only one, has to come from leader) far outweighs the benefit one 3" aoe brings. Two man Cra's seem like a strong option to add to the gun mages toolbox, since it would let them threaten some damage while they push things around.
    Returning to the game after a long hiatus.

I'm hoping for Grave Diggers as it seems to be the most complete as far as availability of units and supporting solos.

Actually, when i asked why they didn't change Constance, Will Pagani said something like "Because reasons that I can say now but you will figure out soon."

So if the Theme Forces can be from outside the book, I probably expect more a Morrowan theme force than Son of Tempest.

On CRA for Gun Mages, I don't see it as particulary useful for any of our GM units, so not thrilled.
    http://privateerpressforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic114488_4.gif
    R.I.P. Page 5... We miss you.
    You can find my painting blog HERE!

A morrowan theme force has a total of like 4 unit types, 3 of which are characters. I doubt it

Quote Originally Posted by Octavius_Maximus View Post
    A morrowan theme force has a total of like 4 unit types, 3 of which are characters. I doubt it
    Morrowan Theme force =/= you can only take Morrowan models.

Even Constance MK2 theme force allowed not Morrowan models, I expect an eventual MK3 Morrowan theme force to be even more open.

As an example, it could be a thing like that (an example I made in another topic few days ago):

Church of Morrow army:

Warcasters:

Any not Privateer, Cephalyx or Rhulic Mercenary Warcaster,
    Any Cygnar Warcaster.

Warjacks:

Morrowan Warjacks
    Cygnar Heavy, not not character warjacks.
    Lancer
    Mercenary not Privateer not character warjacks.

Units:

Morrowan Units
    Steelhead Units
    Sword Knight Units
    Long Gunners
    Field Mechanics
    Arcane Tempest Gun Mages

Solos:

Morrowan Solos
    Steelhead Solos
    Archduke Arlan Runewood
    Journeyman Warcaster

Benefits:

1) All models in the army are considered friendly Faction models and Morrown models.
    2) Arcane Tempest Gun Mages units gain Witch Hunter (See Versh)
    3) Enemy models can't claim the souls of Friendly Faction Models.

The idea is to reapresent the Church of Morrow own army (Warjacks included), with this hybrid theme force that can be used by both Cygnar and Mercenaries, as well to give Constance a way to be played in both factions (though other casters could be used too).

A sons of Tempest Theme will be very, very interesting if even half of Caine3's rumours (especially the feat) come true. With his already known upkeep, 2-man CRA's would fire at effective 14+3d6 (with a chance for 4d6 with Brutal damage).

Morrowan Theme force =/= you can only take Morrowan models.

Even Constance MK2 theme force allowed not Morrowan models, I expect an eventual MK3 Morrowan theme force to be even more open.

As an example, it could be a thing like that (an example I made in another topic few days ago):
    They specifically said that they would be using themes which have a wider selection of available models of that theme.

Your idea is possible, but I doubt it for now.

CRA for gun mages is kinda meh for me. I very rarely used their CRA even when they had it. That would be a somewhat disappointing benefit of Sons of the Tempest.

Re: Morrowan theme.

I am in wait and see mode with MK3 Themes. Operating Theater was done well, and didn't encourage investing hundreds and hundreds. I think i invested in a second unit of Overlords. However, as a former Wold War and Fist player, i'm currently leery of investing in any Theme which exceeds normal FA's, or reduces base costs (i know they said they wouldn't do this), or creates any state where what i'm using for this theme will only and ever only get used in this theme.

If a Morrowan theme is handled elegantly like Operating Theater, i'm all over it, I want Blaize to rock. If a Morrowan Theme suggests that buying 3 more units of Precursors and 3 more PK UA's is optimal, i will pass.

@ Aegis: Heh, i love the idea of Witch Hunter on Gun Mages. Like they are inquisitors or something. Pretty cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosmike View Post
    Haight, you are the hero Cygnar deserves.
    "The objective is to win, the point is to have fun." -- Not Dice
    Former Infernal, 2008 - 2012.

What I play: Cygnar, Circle, Minions, Mercs (Ceph, Rhul), Retribution, & Skorne.

Mod Voice.

So, Storm Division coming. A bit sad beacuse I think that it will probably one of the themes from the Command book (so no extra one), but it's still the theme that got me into Cygnar so...

Let's discuss!

What do you expect from it? Could it give some bonus to Stormknight that could make Stormguard worth it? Or to make Stormblades good enough to compete with Stormlances?

Quote Originally Posted by PPS_Pagani View Post
    Why yes. Yes I can.

Cygnar is getting a theme force called "Storm Division". It will focus on Storm Knights and has a strong electric vibe.

Skorne's theme is called "Winds of Death" and focuses on the Venator model/units. It brings a ranged list to Skorne like you have never played before!

Legion of Everblight's theme "Ravens of War" Focuses on Legion's scout forces and faster models. Be prepared to... AMBUSH... your opponents with this list.

Convergence of Cyriss brings a new configuration with their theme, "Destruction Initiative". This list focuses on Warjacks and Priest models, sure to be a favorite of Convergence players everywhere!

That's all for now my friends! Thank you for your patience while we try and wrap the final documents up!

Nice! Considering I was looking to try out Nemo3 and a bunch of electric stuff at a couple of upcoming tournaments, This will probably help out. Let's see some stormguard buffs.

Destroyer of Worlds Mercykiller's Avatar

For every unit of stormguard you take ...

No, wait, scratch that! :P

I'd guess free storm knight captain solos in response to taking storm knight units. Maybe free UAs for stormblades? A cool but unlikely one could be stormclads get 2 focus for storm knights near them, rather than 1.

Called it.

I mean, I'm happy that it isn't sons of the tempest.

In general, the better themes are the ones that take better models. So storm lances are a good sign.

If it's framed to not work well with lances then it will probably be bad.

So, Storm Division coming. A bit sad beacuse I think that it will probably one of the themes from the Command book (so no extra one), but it's still the theme that got me into Cygnar so...

Let's discuss!

What do you expect from it? Could it give some bonus to Stormknight that could make Stormguard worth it? Or to make Stormblades good enough to compete with Stormlances?
    For every unit of Storm Lances you may increase their DEF and ARM by 2, thus pushing Cygnar further in to 'Just take Storm Lances'.

Free Laddermore? That'd be nice.

Hoping to give one unit of non electric immune some immunity.

Also, likely every electric immune thing gets to be treated as a storm Smith for purposes of triangulation
    Positioning! Slowly getting better at gauging what 6, 10, and 12 inches are by eye.

Actually, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if one of the tiers specifically buffs Stormguard. Maybe tier 4, so if they later make another figure that buffs Stormguard it would not be on the list and you wouldn't be able to double-dip.

---Dave
    Dave's Warmachine Miniatures Page
    Non-standard color schemes a specialty.
    Normal voice | Mod voice
    It's the job of the Fun Police to make sure your fun doesn't ruin someone else's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mod_Dvandom View Post
    Actually, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if one of the tiers specifically buffs Stormguard. Maybe tier 4, so if they later make another figure that buffs Stormguard it would not be on the list and you wouldn't be able to double-dip.

---Dave
    Thats...not how Theme lists work anymore.

Take the theme force, receive all benefits.

---Dave
    There are no tiers in the new theme forces. You get all benefits just by selecting it and staying into its limits.

Edit: Ninjaed

Conqueror

If the Stormguard (and maybe Stormblades) receive a buff with the theme force, that the theme force is not so restricting that we can use it in a lot of different lists. My one gripe about theme forces buffing units that need a buff is that I can't see a universe where said unit would then get a buff outside of the theme force. If it's balanced within the theme force, a general buff would make it too powerful. But, that unit wouldn't be able to see use in non-theme lists.

My honest expectation is that this theme will be to the benefit of the Storm Lances. Theyre already the acme of list construction, and the box costs a lot in terms of dollars. I expect to see the theme reward taking multiple units of Lances.

Conqueror

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    My honest expectation is that this theme will be to the benefit of the Storm Lances. Theyre already the acme of list construction, and the box costs a lot in terms of dollars. I expect to see the theme reward taking multiple units of Lances.
    There is already a reward for taking multiple (read: two) units of Lances, its called winning.

Destroyer of Worlds Stormpuppy_Infantry's Avatar

Maybe give the usefulness to some models? Such as give the defensive ability to Stormguards, and give the usable ability buff for Storm Knight to Stormblade Captain such as Leadership that gives Relentless Charge and Veteran Leader[non-cavalry Storm Knight]. Stormblade Infantry needs an accuracy fix too. For Storm Knights, they are the most problematic points, and guards and captain just lost the reason to field without that. Before they fix the defensive issue I don't think that it would be usable at all.

Maybe it allows to field some character warjacks with Immunity: Electricity. At least Dynamo was a Stormclad.

Perhaps it also adds Stormsmith models?
    You create your own destiny, and your lot in life is not fixed at birth.
    Truth is truth, regardless how bitter it is.
    Anti armor ranged damage per point cost for Haley1
    Stormblade Infantry, fragile but versatile infantry.
    Clockwork Oracle, Warmachine&Hordes probability calculator for Android.

Warrior

Default Our Theme list has been Named

http://privateerpressforums.com/show...=1#post3780570

Cygnar is getting a theme force called "Storm Division". It will focus on Storm Knights and has a strong electric vibe.

I have hope for Storm Blades, Guard Etc
    Last edited by Burzmali; 01-10-2017 at 07:44 PM.

I'm going to guess Practiced Maneuvers or Ranked Attacks will see a comeback.
    Semper Paratus Apparatus Belli

Merged the two theme force threads.

---Dave
    Dave's Warmachine Miniatures Page
    Non-standard color schemes a specialty.
    Normal voice | Mod voice
    It's the job of the Fun Police to make sure your fun doesn't ruin someone else's.

My crystal clear 8-ball prophesy:

Available units/models: Cygnar Warcasters, non-character warjacks, stormknight units/solos, stormcaller units/solos, Stormstriders

Every 20pts spent on small based stormknight models, add one small based stormknight/caller UA or solo
    Stormguard gain Blade Shield (+2 DEF vs Ranged Attacks)
    Storm Striders begin game with 3 power tokens each
    The Original Girls of Warmachine Calendar (not mine, but check it out)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeckert View Post
    Exactly my thoughts.

Sturgis1: 12-1-1 overall, 6-0-1 mk2, 6-1-0 mk3 (W-D-L)

"Every warjack in the army gains Conductor" could be a lot of fun.

One can dream, no?

well... hopes we will get something that will help that division since... it has some prety special needs currently!
    Playing E-Caine is like having a pair of jacks and going all in after getting 9, 10, J at the River

Annihilator

My crystal clear 8-ball prophesy:

Available units/models: Cygnar Warcasters, non-character warjacks, stormknight units/solos, stormcaller units/solos, Stormstriders

Every 20pts spent on small based stormknight models, add one small based stormknight/caller UA or solo
    Stormguard gain Blade Shield (+2 DEF vs Ranged Attacks)
    Storm Striders begin game with 3 power tokens each
    Has to include Jr and I'd play it. One of the things that ruined Cygnar themes in MK2 was lack of JR.

Edit: Thought about it some more. Actually not sure at all that'd be a playable theme. The Storm Striders would dig deep into your ability to get free points, and Blade Shield doesn't fix the Stormguard having no home in the meta, or their cost.
    Last edited by dirkwisely; 01-10-2017 at 10:17 PM.

Destroyer of Worlds KhadorGuy09's Avatar

I am not optimistic personally. Stormguard and Stormblades are absolute toss compared to Storm Lances, and getting a free solo or UA is not going to fix that.
    Check out my Youtube channel for my battle reports and other Khador goodness!

Destroyer of Worlds Stormpuppy_Infantry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KhadorGuy09 View Post
    I am not optimistic personally. Stormguard and Stormblades are absolute toss compared to Storm Lances, and getting a free solo or UA is not going to fix that.

They, or at least Stormguards needs a fix to be usable.

I remember that Charge of the Storm Brigade in MKII is actually the way to spamming 9 point Stormclads, not playing storm knight units(unless you are want to use two Storm Lances).
    You create your own destiny, and your lot in life is not fixed at birth.
    Truth is truth, regardless how bitter it is.
    Anti armor ranged damage per point cost for Haley1
    Stormblade Infantry, fragile but versatile infantry.
    Clockwork Oracle, Warmachine&Hordes probability calculator for Android.

Destroyer of Worlds

Actually, when i asked why they didn't change Constance, Will Pagani said something like "Because reasons that I can say now but you will figure out soon."

So if the Theme Forces can be from outside the book, I probably expect more a Morrowan theme force than Son of Tempest.

On CRA for Gun Mages, I don't see it as particulary useful for any of our GM units, so not thrilled.
    Cygnar getting a theme force for a Merc subfaction does sound like the sort of thing PP would do to us

As to the Storm Division. Unsurprisng that we'd get the OG theme force back. I look forward to Journeymen once again being able to give stormblades back their stupid leader when your opponent snipes him out.

Again.

#thingsididnotmissaboutmark1
    Last edited by leo_neil316; 01-11-2017 at 08:41 AM.
    Damn you, Cthulhu.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Warrior

Just tell me that in this theme force Savio is considered friendly faction.

Free attachment to Stormblades would actually be incredibly handy. The biggest problem with Stormblades vs Stormlances (besides survivability, threat range, versatility... ok everything) is that a fully kitted out squad costs more than a full unit of Stormlances (10+5+2+2+2=21pts). Dropping that to a grand total of 16pts makes them a very valid option. 11 bodies means you've got disposable ones, and the pow15 not being regulated to charges means they're better at getting jammed in. I can see Stryker1 taking two full units fully kitted out as being a really fun list. Throw in some fireflies and a hurricane.

It's not amazing, but it at least gives a chance to field the damn things.

Quote Originally Posted by GMonkey View Post
    Just tell me that in this theme force Savio is considered friendly faction.
    This would make me so happy. Fingers crossed.
    Currently trying in MK3: Skorne. I am home.
    My Armies: Dino-Skorne, Cygnar Seaguard

Annihilator

Free attachment to Stormblades would actually be incredibly handy. The biggest problem with Stormblades vs Stormlances (besides survivability, threat range, versatility... ok everything) is that a fully kitted out squad costs more than a full unit of Stormlances (10+5+2+2+2=21pts). Dropping that to a grand total of 16pts makes them a very valid option. 11 bodies means you've got disposable ones, and the pow15 not being regulated to charges means they're better at getting jammed in. I can see Stryker1 taking two full units fully kitted out as being a really fun list. Throw in some fireflies and a hurricane.

It's not amazing, but it at least gives a chance to field the damn things.
    I think it's at least 75% threat range. We have many ways of getting them up the table. Just Arcane Shield + Iron Zeal will buy them a turn vs anything but auto-point damage. The problem is, your opponent can just stay out of their threat range and keep whittling away at the unit. Slow melee infantry just isn't a thing that works unless you've got some way to force your opponent to walk into that threat range. Turns out one turn of being hard to kill isn't enough scenario pressure to force the opponent to enter their threat range.

Destroyer of Worlds Bloodsplatter artist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dirkwisely View Post
    I think it's at least 75% threat range. We have many ways of getting them up the table. Just Arcane Shield + Iron Zeal will buy them a turn vs anything but auto-point damage. The problem is, your opponent can just stay out of their threat range and keep whittling away at the unit. Slow melee infantry just isn't a thing that works unless you've got some way to force your opponent to walk into that threat range. Turns out one turn of being hard to kill isn't enough scenario pressure to force the opponent to enter their threat range.
    I'm guessing Cygnar's shooting game is what is supposed to force them to step in to your range. They can whittle the blades down with shooting but that buys your own ranged elements another round of shooting as well.
    Granted thats probably irrelevant as there isn't a ton of long range quality shooting among the stormnouns likely to be in the tier list.

As for the actual benefits. I'd say free storm solos or UAs per x points is almost guaranteed.
    It would be great to see a jack discount like mk2. Electric immune Jack's would be great but I'd settle for 16 point Stormclads.
    I suppose a deployment extension/ advance move/extra speed round 1 is another option.

I'm also worried they won't let us take a squire. They've been pretty good about not cutting out critical support pieces in other tier lists but I they don't all allow caster attachments.
    Last edited by Bloodsplatter artist; 01-11-2017 at 06:28 PM.
    I'd make a "the grass is always greener" reference here, but any grass in the Protectorate is probably on fire.
    Currently obsessed with: THE SKORNEPOCALYPSE!!
    Currently playing: Cygnar, Searforge, and Skorne
    Retired:Circle, Retribution

Destroyer of Worlds Mercykiller's Avatar

If anything, I'd say the squire is most likely the only caster attachment we'll be able to take ... the little dude does have coils on his head I'm just hoping they give us a good reason to go with a list that'll leave Ragman behind, as he's pretty clutch for damage.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast