Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Yeah, I'm not sure about Gravediggers, but I totally expect Squire to be into a Storm Brigade army, being one of the pinnacles of Cygnar's tech that are almost always testfield on Stryker's and Nemo's Storm Brigade...

I agree that the potential issue will be more if the bonuses are going to be worth losing merc solos (like Ragman or Pyper) and probably also GMCA (that doesn't fit the Storm Brigade very much).
    http://privateerpressforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic114488_4.gif
    R.I.P. Page 5... We miss you.
    You can find my painting blog HERE!

Destroyer of Worlds BarskeMannen's Avatar

Will its buffs apply to Storm Lances or is this an effort to get people to play Blades and Guards?

If 1, probably playable!

If 2, unlikely.
    My tin dudes can take your tin dudes.

PbP characters: Vys Elyntheir (IWC)

Destroyer of Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by BarskeMannen View Post
    Will its buffs apply to Storm Lances or is this an effort to get people to play Blades and Guards?

If 1, probably playable!

If 2, unlikely.
    Whatever it is, it'll be better than streetsweepers or huntsmen. And I won a game with huntsmen once.
    Damn you, Cthulhu.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Destroyer of Worlds BarskeMannen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leo_neil316 View Post
    Whatever it is, it'll be better than streetsweepers or huntsmen. And I won a game with huntsmen once.
    We don't talk about Huntsmen around this dinner table. You go to your room and think about what you did.
    My tin dudes can take your tin dudes.

PbP characters: Vys Elyntheir (IWC)

I think it will most likely be a "For every x points of Storm Knight models you get a free small base solo, free solos don't count towards these points" and a small benefit (electro damage, accuracy buff?). Most likely something with electro leaps or electric damage, since they say "electric vibe". The problem that I see is that they will probably not distinguish between Stormguard, Blades or Lances and also it will be 20 points, like in Trolls. No one would take the Guard, because the Blades are better and no one will take the Blades because the Lances are better and 5 fill 20 points... I hope they do something like: for every X Storm Knight models, you get Y. Then it would make sense to take the "cheap" Stormguard And sadly this buff is probably not for Stormguard, and certainly not for Stormguard alone.

BTW, once the theme is announced, just keep using this thread, I (or another mod) will rename the thread to indicate the theme force has been revealed.

---Dave
    Dave's Warmachine Miniatures Page
    Non-standard color schemes a specialty.
    Normal voice | Mod voice
    It's the job of the Fun Police to make sure your fun doesn't ruin someone else's.

Destroyer of Worlds Bloodsplatter artist's Avatar

Ugh what if it's take 20 points of storm knights get a free pod of stormcallers...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod_Dvandom View Post
    I'd make a "the grass is always greener" reference here, but any grass in the Protectorate is probably on fire.
    Currently obsessed with: Any Skorne errata spoilers
    Currently playing: Cygnar, Searforge, and Skorne
    Retired:Circle, Retribution

Or worse, take 20 points of stormcallers to get a free stormguard unit!
    Currently trying in MK3: Siegecrawler. Work, damn you, work!
    My Armies: Dino-Skorne, Cygnar Seaguard

It's here:

Cygnar warcasters
    • Non-character warjacks
    • Thunderhead
    • Mechanik models/units
    • Storm Knight models/units
    • Stormsmith models/units
    • Journeyman Warcaster solos
    • Lieutenant Allison Jakes
    • Squire solos
    SPECIAL RULES

This army can include the Mercenary solo Savio Montero Acosta.

For every full 20 points of Storm Knight and Stormsmith models/units in this army, you can
    add one Storm Knight command attachment, Stormsmith weapon crew unit, or small-based
    solo to the army free of cost. Free models/units do not count toward the total point value of
    Storm Knight and Stormsmith models/units in the army when calculating this bonus.

Models/units in this army gain Immunity: Electricity

Stormblade units in this army gain Advance Move. (Before the start of the game but after both
    players have deployed, a model with Advance Move can make a full advance.)

Couple of quick thoughts:

1) Savio is here, but sadly not Friendly Faction.

2) Stormguards get nothing, so they'll remain on the shelf.

3) Stormblades get something... Enough to use them over Stormlances?

4) The biggest point in the list is free models. Are they worth it for the loss of Ragman/Pyper/GMCA ?

Its up!

My Nemo3 list would have to ditch its GMCA and trencher master gunner, but is looking at around 10 points free, maybe 15 if I really tweaked it, which is interesting. And the Blades gain advance move too.

It's interesting that the free solo benefit is not typed. So you can spend the free solo slots on expensive stuff like Savio, SBCs, and a Squire, and use 4-point blocks to buy Strangewayes or a Junior.
    Semper Paratus Apparatus Belli

Slightly random question that came to mind: Would a steamroller objective gain Immunity: Electricity as well?

Well, I really suffer some faction envy. There, I said it. I hope that the themes in the command book will be a bit more in the Khador and Retribution #designspace, because even though I did not have high hopes, but effectively giving Immunity-Electricity to 'Caster, maybe few jacks and Junior(s) (ok, technically Mechanics too..) is pretty dull.
    I'm sure there will be ways to grind for points here, and it may be worth it. It's just not that inspiring as I hoped it will be.
    But, I'll deffinitely give it a go - I liked the advance move on Stormblades before, and I still own two full deathstars
    Perfect is the enemy of good!

Quote Originally Posted by Bladestorm View Post
    Slightly random question that came to mind: Would a steamroller objective gain Immunity: Electricity as well?
    Looks that way. It's in the Army list, so...

Annihilator

Piper is a huge loss. No pathfinder for Styker2/3? Acosta not FF? It's a fun list, but I will be sticking with my old lists. I really wanted that Ret Theme.
    Quote Originally Posted by Istarune View Post
    Shenanigans! SHENANIGANS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonard_Dukes View Post
    "Scenario?"

Oh, you mean "Assassination With Flags"?

Free CAs or solos and advance move for stormblades? Totally called it.

Electric immunity seems underwhelming as most of the models are already immune.
    And now with advance move it's even harder to justify bringing stormguard in their fro t like e roll. Maybe if it had been all small based storm knight models.
    I'd make a "the grass is always greener" reference here, but any grass in the Protectorate is probably on fire.

Link, in case anyone wants it. (Now, off to edit the thread name.)

---Dave
    Normal voice | Mod voice
    It's the job of the Fun Police to make sure your fun doesn't ruin someone else's.

I figure this list ends up not changing the Stormguard situation at all, at least for now. But if we get a good CA for them or a solo that buffs just Stormguard, this theme would help a little.

Oh, and I figure the electric immunity is mostly for the benefit of the non-character Warjacks and the Juniors.

---Dave
    Normal voice | Mod voice

I'm thinking of trying something with Maddox. Jr access means two units of AS Stormblades with advance move. I know it's probably better just to take two units of Lance's but I haven't put my blades on the table since the first week of mk3

Conqueror

This gives us a really short ranged slow army sans Storm Lances. I appreciate giving Stormblades advanced move but that doesn't really make them worthwhile it just fixes their biggest issue.

I don't think losing access to pathfinder, threat extension, clouds, concealment, and rat/mat fixing is worth it sans new models or model changes.

The list I use that I was most hopeful this would affect really just takes away the option for pathfinder. I made a Stryker3 list with two units of storm guard just so I could try to put that unit on the table. It has two solos: a storm blade captain and Runewood. Without Runewood the list has no pathfinder, and no potential to get it

Why the Stormblade Captain lost his Relentless Charge rules I'll never know.

Regardless, that single restriction is not worth a free SBC. A unit that only threatens 10" on a charge is not a unit that wants to be inhibited by terrain, especially since our jacks can't have pathfinder outside of Kraye/Maddox.
    Last edited by gentleman.general; 01-12-2017 at 11:31 AM.

I wish the Cygnar list at least made Savio Acosta a Faction model...

I'll have to try it to judge... It is quite open and lets a lot of lists inside it, but the bonuses aran't particulary impressive...

Electrical immunity when 90% of the permitted models are alread electrical immune is highly situational, the Stormblade Advanced Move is nice but I'm not sure it is enough to make people play them and not just play Stormlances in their stead (So it risks to be useless since people could not play Stormblades into it), so it all reduces to 1-2 free small based solos (4-8 points), in exchange of the ability to field Ragman, Pyper, GMCA, Sylis, Lanyssa, Alten Ashley, Trenchers and all other mercs/not stormknight goodies (and also no Rowdy outside Stryker, no Thorn outside Haley, no Gallant at all :P , no Dynamo outside Nemo)...

Dunno... I need to field test it, but for sure it doesn't change things a lot... I agree with Dave on that... You can play most lists almost unchanged into it, just trading all the merc stuff, GMCA and Char Jacks for basically around 8-10 free points).

Quote Originally Posted by Naex View Post
    This gives us a really short ranged slow army sans Storm Lances. I appreciate giving Stormblades advanced move but that doesn't really make them worthwhile it just fixes their biggest issue.

I don't think losing access to pathfinder, threat extension, clouds, concealment, and rat/mat fixing is worth it sans new models or model changes.
    Well, the Storm Strider is in (it's a "Stormsmith model") so there's your RAT fixer, at least.

Guys, guys, guise...

Minutemen sparknodes.

That's pretty much all I've got here. Advance move is nice, but none of the solos that offer Pathfinder is kinda rough.
    Positioning! Slowly getting better at gauging what 6, 10, and 12 inches are by eye.

Destroyer of Worlds Octavius_Maximus's Avatar

Yeah, it's bad. God-damn it.

Quote Originally Posted by sleet01 View Post
    Well, the Storm Strider is in (it's a "Stormsmith model") so there's your RAT fixer, at least.
    If you include the Storm Strider, you're really limiting the potential for free points. And right now I don't feel like the restrictions are worth only an Advance Move for Storm Blades, since only the Mechanik unit, Jakes, Jr., and potentially jacks would gain the Immunity benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by gentleman.general View Post
    If you include the Storm Strider, you're really limiting the potential for free points. And right now I don't feel like the restrictions are worth only an Advance Move for Storm Blades, since only the Mechanik unit, Jakes, Jr., and potentially jacks would gain the Immunity benefit.
    Why? Actually, the Stormstrider alone almost grant a free model by itself (also Stormsmith models count for the 20 points).

Basically, StormStriders in this list cost around 14 points (net)...
    Last edited by The Aegis; 01-12-2017 at 11:43 AM.

Combatant

My initial take is the only way people are gonna take this is with 2x units of Lances, using the free points to get Acosta and Squire. Then just load up on jr, laddermore, and jacks. It does sound funny to give some minutemen lightning immune them blast them with a bunch of lances and other leap stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by gentleman.general View Post
    If you include the Storm Strider, you're really limiting the potential for free points.
    How? That's 18 points towards your first "full 20 points of Storm Knight and Stormsmith models/units in this army". I mean, if you want to maximize your lightning ranged output and your free solos, that's a great start.

Edit: Ninja'd

Destroyer of Worlds Stormpuppy_Infantry's Avatar

Sigh. I think that it is better to confess that they are hate Storm Knights.

Well, it is bad as I expected. But I didn't expect that it is so bad.

The only interesting part is give the immunity to all models. Mechanics needs immunity too, and it is actually a good fluff backup.

Give Advance Move to the second line unit is no more than joking, and the worse thing is, it is one of the special effect on the theme force. Well, did they ever plays a game by Cygnar models, especially with storm knights?

I don't think that there is a reason to play the theme unless you are want to have a fun game and doesn't care for the performance at all. Even with Storm lances spamming, I think that its benefits are hardly justifies to forfeit Rhupert and/or Runewood.
    Last edited by Stormpuppy_Infantry; 01-12-2017 at 12:23 PM.
    You create your own destiny, and your lot in life is not fixed at birth.
    Truth is truth, regardless how bitter it is.
    Anti armor ranged damage per point cost for Haley1
    Stormblade Infantry, fragile but versatile infantry.
    Clockwork Oracle, Warmachine&Hordes probability calculator for Android.

Destroyer of Worlds Octavius_Maximus's Avatar

Remove "models in this army gain immunity to electricity" and replace with "storm strikers begin the game with 3 power tokens" and MAYBE it would be taken seriously.

I'm super excited. Basically the list I theorycrafted on page 1 now seems like so much freakin' fun and I can't wait to play it:

Cygnar Army - 74 / 75 points

(Stryker 1) Commander Coleman Stryker [+30]
    - Hurricane [39]
    Journeyman Warcaster [4]
    - Firefly [8]
    Captain Arlan Strangewayes [4]
    Savio Montero Acosta [0] - Free!
    Stormblade Infantry [10]
    - Stormblade Infantry Officer & Standard [0] - Free!
    - Stormblade Infantry Storm Gunner (3) [6]
    Stormblade Infantry [10]
    - Stormblade Infantry Officer & Standard [5]
    - Stormblade Infantry Storm Gunner (3) [6]
    Storm Lances (min) [12]

Advance move means that everything is that much further up the table when Stryker feats, should allow for less kiting of stormblades, and a min unit of stormlances as flankers/distractions. This is absolutely the next list I'm going to put on the table.
    Currently trying in MK3: Siegecrawler. Work, damn you, work!
    My Armies: Dino-Skorne, Cygnar Seaguard

Up in War Room, too, if anyone was wondering.
    Though I'm not 100% sure Laddermore is counting for the 20 points of Storm Knight models thing. I add Stormblades with 1 WA (12) and her (8) I should be getting a freebie, but it doesn't trigger.

Annihilator

It's 1 point shy of making a list I think would be decent. We need a 7 point Warjack and this works:

Stryker2
    - Firefly
    - Firefly
    - Ironclad
    Jr (free)
    - Firefly
    Full Blades + UA (Free UA)
    Full Blades + UA (Free UA)
    Laddermore
    Min Lances
    Min Lances

Sadly you can never take JR and Laddermore and get 3 free solos, since you're left with 15 points to play with after your obligatory units.

As far as the pathfinder issue, I think Maddox or Haley3 are the obvious options to look into. I played a smoke-less Haley3 list back in the day, and having 12-15 free points makes up to some degree for the lack of Revive.

Though I'm not 100% sure Laddermore is counting for the 20 points of Storm Knight models thing.
    I think it's Storm Knight units and Stormsmith Model/Units. The way it's worded is unclear though.

Destroyer of Worlds

Well, I have a reason to play the list.

That being that I already have it, resulting in one of my lists spontaneously gaining 9 points. I'm using pretty much no other bonus granted by the theme (other than I guess Junior being immune to Electricity), but suddenly a wild Laddermore appeared, so I'll take it.

This would be my first crack at it, using things that I mostly own:

N3mo
    -Finch
    -Squire
    -Dynamo
    -Stormclad
    Jr
    -Firefly
    Major Katherine
    Stormblade Captain (Free)
    Storm Lances (Full)
    Stormblade Infantry
    UA (free)
    Gunner
    Gunner
    Gunner
    Mechanics

Looks at least like a solid starting point.

Destroyer of Worlds

I think it's Storm Knight units and Stormsmith Model/Units. The way it's worded is unclear though.
    There is neither units nor model/units after Storm Knight though. The only way to read "For every full 20 points of Storm Knight and Stormsmith models/units in this army" is to apply Models/units to both. It is likely just a war room error, which happens all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Aegis View Post
    Why? Actually, the Stormstrider alone almost grant a free model by itself (also Stormsmith models count for the 20 points).

Basically, StormStriders in this list cost around 14 points (net)...
    I clearly wasn't thinking when I typed that. That's my only reasoning, however weak it may be.

um squire isn't counting as free with 20 points of knights/smiths is this a glitch?

another fun glitch, darius can be in the list but halfjacks can't, how long til warroom updates?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast