Conqueror

Default Animi: Best and Worst?

One of the biggest changes from MK2 to MK3 has been to the animi on our beasts. A lot has changed on that front. What do you think are our best and worst animi currently? Have we discovered any fun and exciting ways to use some of the lower tier animi successfully?

Well, "Baying of Chaos" is gone, so whatever happend beyond that, in total it was a win for sure.

I as a user of "flying serpentine DEF14+ beasts" am very, very displeased with the sheer existence of the "dopplerbark" on the doggie.
    And of course Primal is an animus that flushes my cheeks with purple envy.

Destroyer of Worlds

Best animi: Primal.
    It was between Primal and Lightning strike (Sprint), I went with Primal because it's a MAT/POW buff with every caster. The penaty is step and makes it balanced, but it's on every list with Living warbeasts...

Worst animi: Irresistable Force (Bulldoze).
    The effect is good but the comparison to the straight ability is bad, bad, bad. A self-animus that doesn't let you do what move around and use the ability is pretty bad.

Destroyer of Worlds

I was going to say Wild Growth was hands down our worst animus, but then I remembered Freezer exists. If the stationary lasted long enough to cost their next activation it would still be too clunky and hard to set up most of the time. As is, all it really does is fix MAT and deny free strikes, and we have better ways of doing both of those things (that don't require your opponent to literally walk into it). Aside from those two, Shrill Shriek is pretty bad and Arcane Suppression is highly suspect just because both of the models that have it are so fragile (put it on a Wold Guardian or something and it would be hilarious).

As for the best, I'd say Undergrowth, Primal, Lightning Strike and Doppler Bark are our top contenders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bittersashes View Post
    Current forum prediction is that all MK3 games will end in a no contest. Apparently, everything has been downgraded so hard that all models are simultaneously incapable of harming anything and unable to survive any attack. Or even non-attack.
    One guy down my gaming club swore he saw an objective flag take out a full unit of Bane Thralls.

Destroyer of Worlds

Worst is acidic touch. It's unbelievable.

Irrestitible Force is closer to be the best than the worse animi. Turn out bulldoze is great even when you're not a bunny farm.

Destroyer of Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlmann View Post
    Worst is acidic touch. It's unbelievable.

Irrestitible Force is closer to be the best than the worse animi. Turn out bulldoze is great even when you're not a bunny farm.
    I don't think we have acidic touch. Bulldoze our best? Damm, it's 4"/5" with walk or 7"/8" in a straight line... Our warlocks do better with morvahnna2 or grayle but still... I forgot freezer.

Combatant

Not saying it's the best but Earth's Blessing should get a honourable mention for making our casters that little bit more defendable with no knockdowns.

In regards to worst animus, I'ld like to express my thoughts in the form of a joke:
    A winter Argus walks up to Kaya and asks "Hey babe, you look cold, would you like my Winter Coat?"
    Kaya looks at the argus and says "No thanks, I'm too hot for your coat."

Destroyer of Worlds

I would really love to know who at PP is using Freezer and doesn't think "wow, this is totally and completely useless." Like, there's someone in Washington doing playtesting who has fielded the Winter Argus and the Winter Troll, and they used it and said "yep, totally get solid value out of this use of a fury."

Best is Primal IMO. Sprint used to have the title, but now that it's RNG: Self, it's not as solid. Spiny Growth would be second place for me.
    Last edited by subversive; 01-11-2017 at 02:59 PM.
    The best way to get an "infernal response" to your rules forum question is to acknowledge the answers you've gotten. Once the infernals see that you have your answer, they will lock the thread. This is an acknowledgement that the rule question is answered correctly.
    Winterguard: For Sergei!

Destroyer of Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by subversive View Post
    ... Spiny Growth would be second place for me. ...
    When do you use it? When Ghetorix goes in he can't cast it and I have yet to cast it with a warcaster. Rng Self on animus does weird things for them, mostly because you can't use them and run.

Quote Originally Posted by jisidro View Post
    When do you use it? When Ghetorix goes in he can't cast it and I have yet to cast it with a warcaster. Rng Self on animus does weird things for them, mostly because you can't use them and run.
    Love it on Kromac 2, and usually put it on him when he's doing only minor work that turn. Put it on Ghetorix when I either have Fury left too use after a charge, or on the approach to protect him from shooting. With Kromac 2 it's good on both him and Ghetorix on the feat turn.
    It's also great in Baldur lists, and I guess that's one of reasons why it was mentioned as #2.

In my case it's usually on a Carnivean, but there are sometimes situations when I like to cast spiny after a charge instead of killing more stuff.
    If the Carni's charge crippled a Jack into uselessness but did not kill it, namely. So I enjoy +2ARM, the almost-wreck stands in the way of still fully operational friends. The opponent has the option
    1) to move it away allowing a killing freestrike
    2) If the Cortex is ok to pump it full of focus to do at least something, possibly killing it with the D3 reflected damage, (very inefficiently used focus, so my win),
    3) don't waste focus on it and just stay there, doing nothing but blocking his own chargelanes to my carni

This admittedly is very situational, but sometimes it comes up. Perfect if you can "unjam" your Beast with something else next turn so it is free for kicking behinds again.

I'd have to concur that Winter Coat is worst. What makes it even worse is that it's on a bad beast, and that one of it's effect (immunity to many stationary effects) can be gained from Earth's Blessing. Honorable mention for Death Shriek.

As for best, Primal is definitively the most ubiquitous one, although in some lists other animi can shine more. It still probably is the best one, when taking a variety of lists and casters into consideration. Honorable mention for Lightning Strike, Wraithbane, Undergrowth, Spiny Growth and Doppler Bark.

I do think we have a rather good choice of animi in Faction, and I can find a place for most of them during my games.

Destroyer of Worlds BarskeMannen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malix View Post
    In regards to worst animus, I'ld like to express my thoughts in the form of a joke:
    A winter Argus walks up to Kaya and asks "Hey babe, you look cold, would you like my Winter Coat?"
    Kaya looks at the argus and says "No thanks, I'm too hot for your coat.
    I wear your warpwolf's cloooothes~

I look incredibleeeeee~

My tin dudes can take your tin dudes.

PbP characters: Vys Elyntheir (IWC)

I'm just going to say it. I've always hated primal. I don't have any games in MK3 yet, so feel free to ignore me (lots of MK1 and 2 experience though). But, I've always hated losing control of my beasts, and feel like our design space for beasts requires taking primal into account, which leaves us with naturally lower POW warbeasts. Circle MAT has never been a problem in my opinion, so I don't really care about that piece of the animus. I'm sure many of you will set me straight, but this is how I've always perceived primal. Maybe a good animus, but bad for design space.

Best? I don't know yet.

I need to get some games in, but it is hard to find the time...

Destroyer of Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by jisidro View Post
    I regularly end up with Ghetorix killing stuff with fury to spare, and often end up with him alive late game and contesting. I'll also use it on the approach if I'm playing a threat range game. For casters, I've mostly used it on Wurmwood to skew his ARM up to 23.
    The best way to get an "infernal response" to your rules forum question is to acknowledge the answers you've gotten. Once the infernals see that you have your answer, they will lock the thread. This is an acknowledgement that the rule question is answered correctly.

Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by txiab View Post
    I'm just going to say it. I've always hated primal. I don't have any games in MK3 yet, so feel free to ignore me (lots of MK1 and 2 experience though). But, I've always hated losing control of my beasts, and feel like our design space for beasts requires taking primal into account, which leaves us with naturally lower POW warbeasts. Circle MAT has never been a problem in my opinion, so I don't really care about that piece of the animus. I'm sure many of you will set me straight, but this is how I've always perceived primal. Maybe a good animus, but bad for design space.

Best? I don't know yet.

I need to get some games in, but it is hard to find the time...
    I'm of the samd mind. Obviously I can see the value of +2 mat and damage but does it really come out as a gain when you lose most of the next round of hits? Besides this game is very favorable to board control and you give up that too.

Destroyer of Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ree View Post
    I'm of the samd mind. Obviously I can see the value of +2 mat and damage but does it really come out as a gain when you lose most of the next round of hits? Besides this game is very favorable to board control and you give up that too.
    You use Primal when:
    1. It will win you the game, so the next turn is irrelevant.
    2. You know you're running hot and will likely frenzy anyway. Might as well get +2/+2, right?
    3. You know you're going to lose the beast to retaliation.
    4. You can trade up to a point that it doesn't matter that you frenzy.

I don't know about you, but at least one of those circumstances come up for me every single game.