Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Conqueror

I'd assumed that the Dwarf infantry was going to get a bunch of theme force buffs that Skornergized slightly with Ossrum, but made them compelling with Gorten and Durgen... nope. That said, I just got done blasting a mountain king off the table at range after upgrading my drillers to rockrams with the points I saved, so I guess I'm not that mad.

Eh.
    I think the main issue is that it is so bland.
    I do kinda wish that they had gone with the (rumored) trenches. On the other hand, repositioning Bashers are now a thing.

Damn. Why do the HAC get so much love? Amazing gun, good range, now reposition and free? Oof.

Here's to hoping the new Agents of Jhord has "All Rhulic units now gain [Sea Dog]"

And while we are at it, let's hope that PP swings through my suggestions list...

The theme is pretty much what I thought it was going to be: unnecessary buffs to Ossrum.

Don't really understand how they designed another "take the good stuff and get more good stuff for free" theme. I really thought themes were going to be about making the sub-par stuff playable. But then that's trusting PP's playtesting to understand what the sub-par stuff is. After all, CMA and CRA made Highshields awesome.

Edit: Well, at least with a name like Hammer Strike the new theme-related models might include a CA for the Forge Guard to make them more awesome. Give them Iron Zeal to really flip Highshields the bird.
    Last edited by DevonV; 01-14-2017 at 12:54 PM.

I own three Mules, and if you asked me if I would buy a fourth, I could not honestly say that I would not ever do so. Do I need to see a doctor?

I've played a couple games with it now. I'm not running a list that maximises free points and that's probably a fair contributor to what's making it fun, but still. It won't displace any top of faction choices and it's an inferior way to run Polish-style Bunny spam, but I liked my experiences with it.

If I had some more time I would write about design feel and where Ossrum succeeds as a model that genuinely translates fluff to play experience and why that's cool, but I'm a bit short right now so it'll wait. Anyway, blew stuff up, egregiously drilled things, serviceable and fun but not exceptional, might make a competive pairing dependent on meta, 5/7 good times.

Also 'the new Agents of Jhord' hahahahahahahahaha oh boy. *Wipes tears from eyes*
    Judge since 5th November 2013

H-phlegm -ah-dor

So I get War room 2 because PP is pretty much forced it. Ok, sure. Warroom 2 shows the theme force wrong but since it is a tournament viable source, can't play the real theme force.

Something about playtesting not being done.

Something about PP invalidating models.

That's pretty lame. This will be the second, albeit less permanent time PP invalidated mods for my mercs, the first being pistol wraiths and bloat thralls. I supposw one could say I'm wrong because this isn't searforge so it doesn't have to include the same models. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by the_trooper View Post
    Warroom 2 shows the theme force wrong but since it is a tournament viable source, can't play the real theme force.
    If it's wrong in Warroom, what's the correct theme force?
    Quote Originally Posted by Talhe View Post
    And that's why Menoth is, first and foremost, the God of Absentee Parenting.

I don't know which way is up but these two can't be the only rhulic solos, eh?

Sadly, Rockbottom and Gudrun no longer count as Rhulic solos. Brun Cragback (who comes with Lug) is also a Rhulic solo

Quote Originally Posted by Menoth Kid View Post
    Sadly, Rockbottom and Gudrun no longer count as Rhulic solos. Brun Cragback (who comes with Lug) is also a Rhulic solo
    Sounds like War room 2 is wrong then.

It's a known issue discussed elsewhere in this thread, and the War Room sub-forum. While they're working on fixing the bug, War Room will allow you to add Brun to the list if you add him first, then set the theme.
    Last edited by El Jefe; 01-14-2017 at 08:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Talhe View Post
    And that's why Menoth is, first and foremost, the God of Absentee Parenting.

Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    It's a known issue discussed elsewhere in this thread, and the War Room sub-forum. While they're working on fixing the bug, War Room will allow you to add Brun to the list if you add him first, then set the theme.
    Will that use of an exploit be tournament allowable?

Destroyer of Worlds

War Room isn't the rules... War Room is just a software implementation of the rules. The rules as written, not war room, are always correct. If Brun is a Rhulic Solo, he can be included in the list, regardless of what War Room says.
    It's not a question of win or lose, it's a question of whether or not you want to have friends afterwards.

It's probably worth putting a quick post up in the rules forum for confirmation. I say this only because while Brun is a Rhulic solo, Lug isn't a Rhulic anything.

H-phlegm -ah-dor

Destroyer of Worlds FluffyZealot's Avatar

Already done.
    Quote Originally Posted by St Jason, 10-06-2011.
    Give a faction player a lemon, they'll make lemonade.
    Give a merc player a lemon, they'll squirt juice in your eyes.
    Give a Rhul player a lemon, they'll figure out ways to use the lemon to blow up tanks.
    Rhulic enthusiast since 2010. Digitizing in 2017....

Now that the rules for including Brun and Lug are cleared up, here's my list for Hammer Strike. I am super excited to give it a try. Reposition 3 for the Heavies and an extra 2" on deployment lets them get hilariously far up field at the beginning of the game. And a free Artillery is nothing to complain about.

Mercenary Army - 75 / 75 points
    Theme: Hammer Strike
    (Ossrum 1) General Ossrum [+28]
    - Ghordson Basher [9]
    - Ghordson Basher [9]
    - Ghordson Driller [10]
    - Wroughthammer Rockram [14]
    - Grundback Gunner [6]
    - Grundback Gunner [6]
    - Grundback Blaster [6]
    - Grundback Blaster [6]
    Herne & Jonne [5]
    Horgenhold Artillery Corps [0]
    Horgenhold Forge Guard (max) [16]
    Brun Cragback [16]
    - Lug

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Shepherd View Post
    I've played a couple games with it now. I'm not running a list that maximises free points and that's probably a fair contributor to what's making it fun, but still. It won't displace any top of faction choices and it's an inferior way to run Polish-style Bunny spam, but I liked my experiences with it.

If I had some more time I would write about design feel and where Ossrum succeeds as a model that genuinely translates fluff to play experience and why that's cool, but I'm a bit short right now so it'll wait. Anyway, blew stuff up, egregiously drilled things, serviceable and fun but not exceptional, might make a competive pairing dependent on meta, 5/7 good times.

Also 'the new Agents of Jhord' hahahahahahahahaha oh boy. *Wipes tears from eyes*
    Oh, I wouldn't say it's bad by any stretch, but I already enjoyed playing pure Rhulic with Ossrum, so it really didn't open any doors, or make anything Rhulic better. The 'jacks were already great, they didn't need a buff. You already wanted the HAC, they didn't need to be free. Highshields are openly weeping now. (Unless they very shortly receive Sir Not Rockbottom who has Paymaster [Rhulic])

Madhammer might get a little out of the Reposition, but he loses all his favorite Primed Targets. Gorten has never cared for Rhulic models. Way more fun to Solid Ground Nyss and Kayazi.

Just seems like such a wasted opportunity.

I own three Mules, and if you asked me if I would buy a fourth, I could not honestly say that I would not ever do so. Do I need to see a doctor?

I look at Hammer Strike and I get the impression the design goal was to incentivise Rhulic players to move away from the Bunny warren popularised by the Polish (and others) at the WTC, and into alternate list styles that were less monocultural. In that, at least if my anecdotal experience is worth anything, they succeeded. From a competetive perspective, Ossrum remains the main warcaster for Rhul-centric lists, but there are now multiple competetive archetypes for him that include much more varied army compositions.

That's just best guess and personal experience territory, though. It's a bit hard to guage with any more certainty because many of the forum's actively posting Rhulic players are nontraditional in their approach to list building.

Tangentially, the board state for an Ossrum list going second on a scenario like Recon or the The Pit with and without the Hammer Strike bonuses is hugely different. Four inches of extra board space on the first turn for a heavy battlegroup with burst threat potential is significant.

H-phlegm -ah-dor

Annihilator

Don't really understand how they designed another "take the good stuff and get more good stuff for free" theme. I really thought themes were going to be about making the sub-par stuff playable.
    They took that approach in MK2 sometimes, but in MK3 they're supposed to take sub-par stuff and buff it with errata. Theme forces are an awful tool to balance models, because it leaves them only good in the theme force.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123