Thread: Rhyas List?

Conqueror

Default Rhyas List?

Hey guys, compiled a list using Rhyas: Sigil of Everblight. Trying to go for overall coverage, as well as maybe some anti-infantry.

Pt. Goal: 75

Rhyas - +30
    Ravagore - 19
    Nephilim Bolt Thrower - 11
    Full Archers - 13
    Full Swordsman - 15
    Blight Wasps - 8
    Raek - 8
    Forsaken - 4
    Shepherd - 1
    Carnviean - 19
    Min Warspears - 9

Total - 77

Thoughts? Suggestions? Other models I could have used were BlightBlades, Shredders, and a Neraph.

Edit: What if I swapped out the Carnivean for Zuriel? I don't know how many points Zuriel is, but I figure its similar in points, maybe one point more. Of course, then I'd have to remove some stuff because more than two points over is a bit much.
    Last edited by Davycannonhound; 01-11-2017 at 11:47 PM.

Destroyer of Worlds

I would think most people would object to you being 2 points over. I'd think dropping the the shepherd, and maybe swapping the bolt thrower for a protector would fix the points.

As to the list, you're certainly providing your opponent a target rich environment. I'm not sure I see the value in warspears without their ua or the warchief. I'd probably swap them out for maybe the swordsman ua, possibly the archer ua. I'm guessing a popular opinion would be the black frost shard, or the strider scouts.
    Either of them should provide at least the level of utility as the basic warspear unit.
    Quote Originally Posted by sathoon View Post
    I'm starting to see proteus as the golden retriever/collie cross of the legion beast 'vean' family: he's very loyal if a little soft round the edges at times, likes to herd other dragonspawn, and is always dragging things back to his warlock's army line looking for praise.

Conqueror

Quote Originally Posted by vaildin View Post
    I would think most people would object to you being 2 points over. I'd think dropping the the shepherd, and maybe swapping the bolt thrower for a protector would fix the points.

As to the list, you're certainly providing your opponent a target rich environment. I'm not sure I see the value in warspears without their ua or the warchief. I'd probably swap them out for maybe the swordsman ua, possibly the archer ua. I'm guessing a popular opinion would be the black frost shard, or the strider scouts.
    Either of them should provide at least the level of utility as the basic warspear unit.
    I only play casual, and my friends and I play one or two points deviation all the time. As for everything you listed, I don't have any of those models. I wanted the Shepherd for its warbeast healing capabilities as well as extended control range, plus the extra point of fury reduction. The Shepherd and the Forsaken were there to help tackle fury issues as Rhyas only has five fury. So, all that stuff you listed would be great except I dont have it, nor can I afford it right now. The other pieces I listed below are the only other things I have available.
    Last edited by Davycannonhound; 01-11-2017 at 01:35 PM.

Destroyer of Worlds

That's fair. Perhaps a shopping list/wish list for the future?

As far as what you have, I think you have your best models on the table. The Neraph certainly isn't better then any of the other warbeasts. I'm not a fan of the blightblades, but if you're going to put them in, I'd swap them for the warspears.

As far as fury management goes, you are pretty heavy on fury for Rhyas. Additionally, I've always had trouble keeping fury under control with her. On the other hand, there are things you can do to run beast heavy, and not have a huge need for fury management. The Wasps, for example, can charge and use hunting pack, to get reasonably not-terribly-inaccurate attacks at a fair number of solos, lights, and other non-warlock,non-heavy targets without generating fury.
    That's a lot of hyphens. What I mean is, the pack gets five base attacks. If you get three of them onto the same target, they become effectively Mat 7, P+S 10 with the boosted charge damage. That can put a dent in things, although your unlikely to hit the def of most casters, or get through the armor of most heavy jacks/beasts. Mostly, you can take out tough solos and light beasts/jacks. Or at least feel like you aren't loosing much if they fail.

The Raek isn't going to do much, until the turn that it moves in and either kills something, or uses a head-butt to knock the thing down. Chances are, it won't survive after that, so the fury isn't really that important.
    The Ravagore generates typically 1 fury per turn, unless you end up boosting blast damage on some juicy targets. Use the ravagore early in turns so you can plan around its fury.
    The carnivean is likely to run early, use its animus turn 2, and try to kill stuff turn 3.
    The bolt thrower is likely to run turn 1, and shoot every turn after that, probably not producing more than 2 fury a turn.

If you play fast, stay aggressive, and don't let the game drag on, you can keep the beasts on a short leash the first turn or two, then let them run hot.

Sometimes Rhyas' beast fury management is letting the beasts that are full on fury die, so she doesn't have to deal with them anymore. Its not like she's really very good at attrition anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by sathoon View Post
    I'm starting to see proteus as the golden retriever/collie cross of the legion beast 'vean' family: he's very loyal if a little soft round the edges at times, likes to herd other dragonspawn, and is always dragging things back to his warlock's army line looking for praise.

I would get the neraph in there - of your models it is a good beast with Rhyas. Likes the feat, keeps up. I think I prefer it to the archers with out their UA.

I think I would ditch the blight wasps and increase the warspears to.max. they are good with the feat and dash.

Conqueror

Quote Originally Posted by vaildin View Post
    That's fair. Perhaps a shopping list/wish list for the future?

As far as what you have, I think you have your best models on the table. The Neraph certainly isn't better then any of the other warbeasts. I'm not a fan of the blightblades, but if you're going to put them in, I'd swap them for the warspears.

As far as fury management goes, you are pretty heavy on fury for Rhyas. Additionally, I've always had trouble keeping fury under control with her. On the other hand, there are things you can do to run beast heavy, and not have a huge need for fury management. The Wasps, for example, can charge and use hunting pack, to get reasonably not-terribly-inaccurate attacks at a fair number of solos, lights, and other non-warlock,non-heavy targets without generating fury.
    That's a lot of hyphens. What I mean is, the pack gets five base attacks. If you get three of them onto the same target, they become effectively Mat 7, P+S 10 with the boosted charge damage. That can put a dent in things, although your unlikely to hit the def of most casters, or get through the armor of most heavy jacks/beasts. Mostly, you can take out tough solos and light beasts/jacks. Or at least feel like you aren't loosing much if they fail.

The Raek isn't going to do much, until the turn that it moves in and either kills something, or uses a head-butt to knock the thing down. Chances are, it won't survive after that, so the fury isn't really that important.
    The Ravagore generates typically 1 fury per turn, unless you end up boosting blast damage on some juicy targets. Use the ravagore early in turns so you can plan around its fury.
    The carnivean is likely to run early, use its animus turn 2, and try to kill stuff turn 3.
    The bolt thrower is likely to run turn 1, and shoot every turn after that, probably not producing more than 2 fury a turn.

If you play fast, stay aggressive, and don't let the game drag on, you can keep the beasts on a short leash the first turn or two, then let them run hot.

Sometimes Rhyas' beast fury management is letting the beasts that are full on fury die, so she doesn't have to deal with them anymore. Its not like she's really very good at attrition anyway.
    Technically, Rhyas is on my shopping list lol. The whole reason I want her is for rapport, so that I can cast that on Blight Wasps, wipe out some infantry, and then let the Carnivean have Rapport for the rest of the game.

As for your strategy, sounds like a solid plan. The Raek is kind of a distraction/guarding piece for me with its animus. Sometimes a solo hunter, if there is one.
    Last edited by Davycannonhound; 01-11-2017 at 04:01 PM.

Rapport is a shadow of its former self. It's very good on the carnivian and also the ravagore. It makes the carnivians spray amazingly good, and it makes the ravagore accurate as opposed to clumsy, and means of can stay in control shooting while Rhyas charges forwards. Mat8 on the wasps doesn't sound very good to me. I am very disappointed with blight wasps. I love the models, but they are stinky on the table. If 2 of them die the remaining models are useless, and they are really easy to kill seems to me.

I guess you can hide them behind the archers and use them to unjam the archers. I think between the archers, Raek, ravagore and carnivian spray, and Rhyas herself sprinting in and killing a few, infantry are going to have a really bad day.

With fury management, the worst thing that can happen is your beast can not frenzy and be a bit rubbish. If you place them carefully hopefully they will frenzy at a bad guy, or your opponent will kill them for you.

Try it out a few times you have lots of options.

Archer UA and warspears UA improve those units a lot. People don't rate the swordsmen UA (i think it looks cool - but I can see what they are saying). If your going shopping another shepherd is very good too. That bolt thrown ran use 3 fury a turn quite happily. (Snipe, boost hit, boost damage). The ravagore can use 4, the carnivian 3, so your shepherd and forsaken will be very busy. Turn 3/4will be hard, but you can empty your forsaken if she's quite full by blight bursting even if she is not near enemy models and use her again turn 4/5. Or just take 2 then 3 with her on turn 2 and 3, and use her to kill stuff turn 4". Forsaken are magic.
    Last edited by DanX; 01-11-2017 at 04:35 PM.

Conqueror

Quote Originally Posted by DanX View Post
    Rapport is a shadow of its former self. It's very good on the carnivian and also the ravagore. It makes the carnivians spray amazingly good, and it makes the ravagore accurate as opposed to clumsy, and means of can stay in control shooting while Rhyas charges forwards. Mat8 on the wasps doesn't sound very good to me. I am very disappointed with blight wasps. I love the models, but they are stinky on the table. If 2 of them die the remaining models are useless, and they are really easy to kill seems to me.

I guess you can hide them behind the archers and use them to unjam the archers. I think between the archers, Raek, ravagore and carnivian spray, and Rhyas herself sprinting in and killing a few, infantry are going to have a really bad day.

With fury management, the worst thing that can happen is your beast can not frenzy and be a bit rubbish. If you place them carefully hopefully they will frenzy at a bad guy, or your opponent will kill them for you.

Try it out a few times you have lots of options.

Archer UA and warspears UA improve those units a lot. People don't rate the swordsmen UA (i think it looks cool - but I can see what they are saying). If your going shopping another shepherd is very good too. That bolt thrown ran use 3 fury a turn quite happily. (Snipe, boost hit, boost damage). The ravagore can use 4, the carnivian 3, so your shepherd and forsaken will be very busy. Turn 3/4will be hard, but you can empty your forsaken if she's quite full by blight bursting even if she is not near enemy models and use her again turn 4/5. Or just take 2 then 3 with her on turn 2 and 3, and use her to kill stuff turn 4". Forsaken are magic.
    While niche, I find the Blight Wasps to be fairly good pieces, as they run and charge for free. With their animus, if they can be accurate enough, they can literally chew through an entire unit of single wound infantry, maybe even two. Its a nice little surprise for such a small package.