Default Storm Lances of Doom and Destruction

Ok.... are these really as good as everyone say they are? Or are they overrated? Please! Help!

Combatant

these are as everybit of pure awesome as people say they are., they fry infantry, they wreck heavies. they are reasonably fast and reasonably accurate

Destroyer of Worlds Octavius_Maximus's Avatar

"Wreck Heavies"

Pow 15's are not bad, In general you want to soften the heavy up a bit but in general Storm Lances are amaze.

At the moment we have 2 units that have good power/cost ratio - Trenchers and 'Lances. Rest of our units, you play for fun or some special effect (think Rangers for ranged buff for instance)
    Here's hoping that theme list will do something to shape things up.

They are that good. I am painting Laddermore and my second unit right now!

You can use Storm Lances in every list. They are almost always the strongest unit option. Trenchers are #2, Rangers are #3, and the rest you can safely skip until something happens with Theme Forces and/or the next errata arrives.

Only drawback is that they are still vulnerable to high power shooting, so having access to Arcane Shield or something similar is a good idea to help getting them up the field.
    Code games. Play games.
    Blogging about Cygnar and painting at Lightning Shroud!

Conqueror

They are great. You want to take Ragman or eStryker if you really want to wreck heavies. Otherwise they give you good damage, scenario presence, and tactical options against almost every type of enemy.

I got a LOT of units in MkII, but a lot of them I got for the looks or my desire to paint them, not for their utility (i.e. I have Stormguard). Guess which two units I didn't bother getting because of aesthetics?

Hint: they're the two mentioned above as having the best cost to power ratio....

---Dave (siiiigh)

(ETA: Not saying they're ugly minis, just that they don't fit my personal taste.)
    Dave's Warmachine Miniatures Page
    Non-standard color schemes a specialty.
    Normal voice | Mod voice
    It's the job of the Fun Police to make sure your fun doesn't ruin someone else's.

Annihilator

They're as good as everybody says, but they also have weaknesses most people ignore.

For example, it takes the entire unit to down a Juggernaught, which costs 12 points to their 20. At armor cracking they're merely average among cavalry (below average actually, until you start throwing in many more points like Laddermore and a Firefly).

Stick a 7 point Talon in front of a unit of Stormlances and watch them struggle to earn even close to their points back.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkwisely View Post
    They're as good as everybody says, but they also have weaknesses most people ignore.

For example, it takes the entire unit to down a Juggernaught, which costs 12 points to their 20. At armor cracking they're merely average among cavalry (below average actually, until you start throwing in many more points like Laddermore and a Firefly).
    And every infantry model within 4" of that Juggernaut will also have been incidentally cleared from the table.
    Surround yourself with human beings, my dear James. They are easier to fight for than principles.

Destroyer of Worlds Octavius_Maximus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Azuresun View Post
    And every infantry model within 4" of that Juggernaut will also have been incidentally cleared from the table.
    Then don't leave infantry within 4" of that Juggernaut.

Annihilator

Or those leaps will just bounce off a 10 point ARM 20 jack next to the Juggernaut...

Destroyer of Worlds BarskeMannen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dirkwisely View Post
    How are they below average among cavalry at breaking ARM? Let's actually look at that statement, because I see it get tossed around a lot. Uhlans currently hit harder with their charge attack than Storm Lances, and Vengers will as well if Battle Driven has been triggered - Vengers also benefit from Blessed. Steelhead Heavy Cav can squeak past if they're receiving support by infantry, but then we're spending additional points by your own metric.

Long Riders, Ferox, Bane Riders and Destors all hit at the same charge attack POW or lower than Storm Lances, and that's before we account for the Assault shot. At lower DEF values than ~13 you can expect to hit more Assault shots than you miss, and any high damage roll on the Assault shot will rapidly shrink the static damage advantage (+1POW per guy, in the case of Uhlans and Vengers) that even those units that do hit harder on the charge have over Storm Lances. If we're also factoring in synergy with support then Storm Lances benefit even more as the additional damage rolls they generate mean they have excellent synergy with Ragman for example, who is a staple of competitive play.

I don't understand the idea that Storm Lances are somehow sub-par ARM-crackers among cavalry at all. At worst they're inches below the best.
    My tin dudes can take your tin dudes.

PbP characters: Vys Elyntheir (IWC)

Destroyer of Worlds KhadorGuy09's Avatar

They are undeniably the best unit in Cygnar, and competing for one of the best units in the entire game. They are so versatile it is beyond belief, and Cygnar has access to some amazing offensive and defensive support for them.

I think a real strength of them is that they are perfectly good just on their own with no help, you are not forced into taking a huge plethora of models to support them if you do not want to, but if you do you can really dial them up to 11.
    Check out my Youtube channel for my battle reports and other Khador goodness!

They are undeniably that good.
    http://privateerpressforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic114488_4.gif
    R.I.P. Page 5... We miss you.
    You can find my painting blog HERE!

They are a good all around unit, Pow 15 isn't cracking massive armor and the pow 10 leaps aren't taking out anything over arm 17 or arm 13 with 5 wounds reliably. They usually do a good job of earning their points, but playing them poorly can result in disappointment. Many people are acting like they are super powerful and impossible to deal with, that just isn't the case. If you want a unit you can put in any list and get reasonable work done they will fill that role. If you're looking for OP solution to solve all your problems, they are not it.
    Active Factions: Skorne/Cygnar/Menoth/
    Secondary Factions: Circle/Khador/Trolls/Retribution/Minions
    Retired Factions: Legion/Convergence
    Never played: Cryx/Mercs