Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kharybdis: PP .. why are you so off base?

Charybdis

Charybdis (/kəˈrɪbdᵻs/; Greek: Χάρυβδις, pronounced [kʰárybdis], Kharybdis) was a sea monster, later rationalized as a whirlpool and considered a shipping hazard in the Strait of Messina.

Given the choice between C and K.. you went with K.

Because Retribution is the faction with the Greek monster names and Cryx is the faction with the "I main Reaper" names.

edit:
    Okay, more or less kidding on the latter part. But I honestly think that Ret having called dibs on the Greek names may have had something to do with it.
    Last edited by Mod_GoLu; 01-11-2017 at 06:22 PM.
    Normal voice. Mod voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mod_GoLu View Post
    Because Retribution is the faction with the Greek monster names and Cryx is the faction with the "I main Reaper" names.
    I'm waiting for their future warcaster XxEdGeLoRd4LyFexX

Destroyer of Worlds

Because people see ch and prounounce it like in cheese. People see kh and pronounce it as it's supposed to be pronounced.

That or they had Khador help with the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Seikishi View Post
    Some one break out the black eye liner!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheer_Falacy View Post
    Because people see ch and prounounce it like in cheese. People see kh and pronounce it as it's supposed to be pronounced.

Strakhov!! DAMN YOU
    That what you where really doing in the Cryx tunnels!!!!

Destroyer of Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by Sheer_Falacy View Post

I'm so glad PP did away with tsharacter restrictions as SR standard, idiots pronouncing it wrong were doing my head in.

Where they're really off base is that Kharybdis has more in common with Scylla, Charybdis' sister.

Destroyer of Worlds Postin Dirty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by websome7 View Post
    Some one break out the black eye liner!!
    oof, straight edge really isn't regularly associated with eyeliner

but keep on doing it
    Befuddled: ramblings and ravings playing WM/H down under

Straight edge means not drinking or doing drugs. Being an edgelord means going out of your way to seem shocking and dangerous, and not quite succeeding.
    (And yes, I know both terms are actually more complicated than that.)
    Normal voice. Mod voice.

Destroyer of Worlds tutenkharnage's Avatar
    Crawling through the Undercity with the BRI

Straight edge means not drinking or doing drugs. Being an edgelord means going out of your way to seem shocking and dangerous, and not quite succeeding.
    (And yes, I know both terms are actually more complicated than that.)
    No they aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by tutenkharnage View Post
    No they aren't.
    Straight edge is also a punk subculture and some of them take the "no drinking, no drugs" philosophy and apply it to other life situations. Edgelord has additional implications, like the Tyler Durden wannabe actually being a 12 year old who owns a twenty dollar dollar katana and recently read a book of nihilist quotes. They aren't that much more complicated, but there is more going on than I said initially.
    Normal voice. Mod voice.

Destroyer of Worlds Big Fat Troll's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seikishi View Post
    i'm waiting for their future warcaster xxedgelord4lyfexx
    there are no vowels in my name!
    "It is impossible to speak in such a way that you cannot be misunderstood."
    -Karl Popper

I had to look up the definition of edgelord for this thread. I can't tell if my need to refer to Urban Dictionary is a sign I'm behind the times, or if I'm still with it, since I know what Urban Dictionary is.

For those as confused as I was... Cryx's new caster and character 'jack have been spoiled.

PP is in the process of making Cryx and the undead “FUN!” and I think the reason why they spelled it with a K instead of with a C is best explained by a theory that a friend many years ago put forth:

Spelling a word with a K instead of a C makes it more of a fun word.

You see, if you have Krazy Klowns running around spreading fun - that is family entertainment. If you have Crazy Clowns running around spreading fun, that is a horror movie title or a reason to lock your doors and call the police.

Psykhotic is a band name or a dance club drug. Psychotic is a serious psychological condition.

Kharybdis is a cool looking toy for a wargame. Charybdis is a monster from mythology.

See? Everything is more fun when you spell it with a K!

Don’t ask me about the KKK and CCCP, I don’t have anything for that stuff…
    The glass is neither half empty or half full, it is overdesigned with a safety factor of 2.

Growing up I always wanted to be a marine biologist, because it seemed like the perfect combination of shooting people and studying animals.

In italian (since we are talking about italy here) it's Scilla and Cariddi. Cariddi is pronounced like this: https://translate.google.it/?hl=it#it/en/Cariddi (hear the italian audio, not the english one).
    I'm a skorne player, as such i'm unwilling to try different models within my faction and i'm stuck at mk2 list building by definition.

My painting page: https://www.facebook.com/fullmoonworkshop

Destroyer of Worlds RandomThoughts's Avatar

Cryx is the faction with the "I main Reaper" names.
    I don't understand. Is that a pun I'm not getting? What does "I main Reaper" mean???

"As I often say, variety is the spice of wargaming" (Cyel)

Destroyer of Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by RandomThoughts View Post
    I don't understand. Is that a pun I'm not getting? What does "I main Reaper" mean???
    Overwatch reference. Reaper is the guy with a skull mask and dual shotguns dressed in all black and literally named Reaper.

Conqueror

Also probably a reference to the i-think-we-can-call-it-mythological-by-now being dressed in black robes that claims the souls of the dead.

Conqueror

Quote Originally Posted by Blarg D Impaler View Post

You see, if you have Krazy Klowns running around spreading fun - that is family entertainment. If you have Crazy Clowns running around spreading fun, that is a horror movie title or a reason to lock your doors and call the police.
    It doesn't get any less fun than Krazy Killer Klowns.

Destroyer of Worlds RandomThoughts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blarg D Impaler View Post
    Khina! Khess! Khief! Kook!

Kygnar! Khador! Kryks! Konvergenke! Skyrah! Kirkle! Kkorne!

"As I often say, variety is the spice of wargaming" (Cyel)

Destroyer of Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by Boozy View Post
    I had to look up the definition of edgelord for this thread. I can't tell if my need to refer to Urban Dictionary is a sign I'm behind the times, or if I'm still with it, since I know what Urban Dictionary is.
    Sometimes I feel real out of touch...

I thought this would be a thread about the horrible base overhang the model will inevitably have. I was disappointed.

Straight edge is also a punk subculture and some of them take the "no drinking, no drugs" philosophy and apply it to other life situations. Edgelord has additional implications, like the Tyler Durden wannabe actually being a 12 year old who owns a twenty dollar dollar katana and recently read a book of nihilist quotes. They aren't that much more complicated, but there is more going on than I said initially.
    ^ Agreed.

OT:

Full disclosure: i am not straight edge, however i hung out with people involved in the Boston and Providence punk scenes in the 90's who were involved in the scene and the DC punk scene (which see below) only about a half to full decade after the movement was born.

Straight Edge is actually an extremely complicated subculture: there is the "no mind altering substances" and the "no mind altering substances and no sex" camps for instance. Some extremely purist straight edgers will not even drink Caffeine (edit: i should say "caffeinated beverages rather) as they see it as hypocritical to their views. Some straight edge adherents also take elements of their lifestyle to their personal clothing, opting for minimalist / practical clothing. Many straight edgers that tack more towards the purist end of the spectrum are also vegetarians or vegans.

Straight Edge was accidentally birthed by a Wash. DC hardcore punk (precursor to what people would call "hardcore" today) band Minor Threat with their lyrics in their 1984 song "straight edge" and then further embraced in their follow up LP with the song "out of step (with the world)". The lifestyle movement has evolved significantly since then, though i daresay its popularity peaked in the early 2000's (this is my opinion, and also might just be that as i got older, i was less involved in the local and regional scenes). It was an accidental, completely unintended subculture that welled up around Ian McKaye's personal life habits expressed in particular in the above two songs, that then took on a life of its own and inspired other artists. McKaye himself has disavowed any credit for creating the straight edge movement (and at times is critical of some of its more dogmatic incarnations), though he still prescribes to the general tenets laid out in "straight edge" and "out of step". McKaye would later go on to form Fugazi, one of the grandfather's of indie rock, after Minor Threat broke up. In the late 90's and 00's the movement underwent several sub-splits around both the music and the ideology, all of which could be discussed in large philosophical length in a more appropriate place.

Straight Edge was a lifestyle philosophy that was created within the confines of a music scene subculture. As such, while it's not widespread, it is actually fairly more complicated with several layers beyond just "no drinking / drugs". The closest, though not-perfect analogy i can make is that of vegetarianism /veganism ; some vegetarians are more permissive almost to the point of questioning if they are actually vegetarians or not (will eat seafood for instance), where there is the purist end of the spectrum, veganism which believes in total non-exploitation of animals, etc (and ... i think there's even a non-exploitation of plants movement? I don't know, meat is delicious to me ). The reasons are varied and so is the philosophy.

Edgelord by proxy is usually a derogatory term for a nihilistic tryhard.
    Last edited by Mod_Haight; 01-12-2017 at 04:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosmike View Post
    Haight, you are the hero Cygnar deserves.
    "The objective is to win, the point is to have fun." -- Not Dice
    Former Infernal, 2008 - 2012.

What I play: Cygnar, Circle, Minions, Mercs (Ceph, Rhul), Retribution, & Skorne.

Mod Voice.

Destroyer of Worlds UmbrellaCorp487's Avatar

This is a really strange thread.
    Stick your head in the microwave and get yourself a tan!

Destroyer of Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by UmbrellaCorp487 View Post
    This is a really strange thread.

(pronounced [kʰárybdis], Kharybdis)
    Maby that's why...

Destroyer of Worlds doomedtorepeatit's Avatar

No kidding. In before mod-lock!

OT, though, I don't see the problem. Subtle changes in spelling are the norm for fantasy stories yoinking stuff from our own mythology. Look at the Circle Orboros, one of the main factions. Orboros isn't the original form of the name; that's Ouroboros. Nobody complained about that name change back when it dropped in Mk.I; I know, I was there. Here? Whatever. You get my point.

You will never see me on Vassal again. Ever.

This isn't even the first time a model has been released with the k spelling. There's a chaos marine drop pod that this jack shares a name with. Because, you know, k just looks more evil I guess.

Came here for a fun understanding of a name choice for a warjack. Instead got schooled on subculture and learned alot more about Punk.

Not a bad start for a Thursday before Payday!
    Last edited by undyingbob; 01-12-2017 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Grammer issue fixed

Destroyer of Worlds

Also, Kharybdis seem to be the greek name/transliteration for Charybde. Not 100% sure because my greek class are far way, but it certainly look so. Remember how Herakles is the greek name of Hercules.

Quote Originally Posted by undyingbob View Post
    Came here for a fun understanding of a name choice for a warjack. Instead got schooled on subculture and learned alot more about Punk.

Not a bad start for a Thursday before Payday!
    I aim to please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosmike View Post
    Haight, you are the hero Cygnar deserves.
    "The objective is to win, the point is to have fun." -- Not Dice
    Former Infernal, 2008 - 2012.

What I play: Cygnar, Circle, Minions, Mercs (Ceph, Rhul), Retribution, & Skorne.

Mod Voice.

The greek Alphabet does not have a "C". Either it is a "Chi", which looked like a X, like stated above, or it is a "K". No "C". So if I wanted to make sure modern english-speaking people get the pronounciation right... I can see merit in that.

Or maybe it is just a trademark issue.

Destroyer of Worlds Leonard_Dukes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlmann View Post
    Also, Kharybdis seem to be the greek name/transliteration for Charybde. Not 100% sure because my greek class are far way, but it certainly look so. Remember how Herakles is the greek name of Hercules.
    Also-also, there's a thread from some while back wherein Doug Seacat explains that the words and names we see in the game setting are basically English-language equivalents of whatever they actually are in their native language (Cygnaran, Shyr, Molgur, etc) so when we see words like "seraph" and "archangel" or names like "Helios" and "Moros", while we can understand and talk about their real-world etymology, they're basically just placeholder words for their Iron Kingdoms equivalent.

[edit: not the specific quote I'm looking for, but related]

Quote Originally Posted by PPS_Dougseacat View Post
    There is almost no way to avoid linguistic oddities because of how often words are rooted in derivations firmly planted on Earth and real-world history. We generally prefer to err on the side of conceptual clarity, using words that have a meaning we want to convey rather than worrying if a given word derives from a real-world person or place. There are difficult calls, however. There are some words which are so strongly associated with a place or person that this eclipses connotational meaning. Usually we try to avoid those, but once more this is subjective. In some cases a word has cropped up enough that we have had to invent an in-world explanation. Hell, for example. Hell does exist in our setting, as the wilds of Urcaen. The hell of western Immoren is not the same as the hell described in certain real world religions, but it's similarly unpleasant.

Naturally there are also occasions where we will feel compelled to invent new words, particularly for some of our non-human cultures. Inventing new words is tricky and such words are harder to make stick. We can cheat a bit at times by using parts of words that carry built-in associations. Mortitheurgy is an example of this approach. At other times we deliberately select an archaic or little used word since it adds exotic flavor but retains some connotational meaning. And of course we also complicate the issue by sometimes taking a familiar word and deliberately giving it a different spin or employing it in a slightly unusual way, such as the Khadoran Spriggan. We reserve the right to invent new words, to use existing words despite their derivations or because of their derivations, and to abuse existing words in new and exciting ways.

The ["albatross around his neck"] mention [in Blood & Iron] was one we allowed when reviewing this manuscript after deciding it was fair and appropriate to keep. There have long been many superstitions associated with sailors and ships and we have preserved that in the Iron Kingdoms. Not to mention The Rime of the Ancient Mariner is one of my favorite pieces of literature and is a tale that is entirely in keeping with themes of our setting. If you desire an in-setting source to pin this phrase on, I'd suggest the work of an Ordic poet writing about the old Tordorans: The Rime of the Dirgenmast Captain.
    Last edited by Leonard_Dukes; 01-12-2017 at 06:07 AM.
    Welcome to the All New War, where nothing can possibly go worng.

This thread got a little off track...

I really don't care how they spell it, as the Greek monster never existed in the IK so they can spell it however they want
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragesmith:
    "Internet" of course coming from the ancient Babylonian word for "complaining loudly and constantly about a minor grievance."

Conqueror

Quote Originally Posted by Seikishi View Post
    Goreshade has been available for a long time.

Destroyer of Worlds Bitt_Player's Avatar

I dunno, I think having a living god tell you that what you're doing is pure evil and doomed to failure so complete that the memory of your efforts will wallow in obscurity for all time and then stealing his sword and continuing to do it anyway might be more death metal than edgelord.
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS_Hungerford View Post
    The Convergence isn't the most trusting of secret doomsday robot cults.
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS_Pagani View Post
    I'm literally the worst.

I quite enjoy these odd threads.
    Translation and spelling are quite interesting to look at and study. Deciding what a word should mean and how it is spelled are more of an art, rather than a science.
    Common words, or objects that are common, often translate over well, while culturally specific things are more difficult.
    Spelling is even crazier. English is a fascinating conglomerate of other languages and uses multiple rules. When the "C" sound is used is a prime example. Is the word Germanic, French, or Anglo-Saxon in origin? This changes whether we use a c, ch, or k.
    QUOTE (poeticruse @ Mar 27 2009, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    So please, think of the goats. Don't demand official answers.
    QUOTE (poeticruse @ Apr 16 2009, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    "fruitbatbananacoated"

How did I get into this hand basket, and why is it so hot?

Quote Originally Posted by Hjard View Post
    I thought this would be a thread about the horrible base overhang the model will inevitably have. I was disappointed.
    Darn it, I was starting to think I'd get to be the first to bring that up. Make rules where base-to-base contact matters, design many models with absurd overhang. <_<
    I'll stop bagging on the Siege Animantarax when ... what? Friendly attacks generate Cantankerous tokens and they can be used to boost gun shots? [looks thoughtful] That will do PP, that will do.

Destroyer of Worlds _PG_Avanice's Avatar

All this Topic has me thinking...

Nope.
    Last edited by Mod_Neldar; 01-12-2017 at 09:59 AM.
    [URL=http://s200.photobucket.com/user/Tellinair/media/rsz_bannermkii_cryx_asphyxious2_zps2f2fc06c%201.png.html][IMG]http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/Tellinair/rsz_bannermkii_cryx_asphyxious2_zps2f2fc06c%201.png[/IMG][/URL]

"All men must die, and one may only serve in the next life to The Dragonfather, there is no exception." Erdrick Chaeffer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast