Question Desert Hydra sprue / unboxing

Currently awaiting my Hydra to be shipped to me, however I have been hearing ominous things regarding the quality of the kit :/ Does anyone know of or able to provide pics of the sprues or a completed (but not painted) kit?

There are pics and a big post on the Skorne FB group page.

Destroyer of Worlds

And what do they say ?

Formerly madrab princessprettyposies's Avatar

Lots of parts, 5 hours of assembly time and a lot of joins needing careful work to seal up joints

It does look impressive though but probably not a model for novices / quick assembly
    Best Kilt award at WTC2013 (suck it scotland!)
    WTC Committee Member 2014 - 2016
    WTC Host Nation Organizing Committee Member 2015

*group request pending*...

Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    *group request pending*...
    You joined the wrong group. There is a group with about 2k members, send a request to that one and you will get approved quickly. Before you get upset about how Facebook works and picking the wrong group PP and nobody here has any control over the number of groups created and how they run those groups.
    Active Factions: Skorne/Cygnar/Menoth/
    Secondary Factions: Circle/Khador/Trolls/Retribution/Minions
    Retired Factions: Legion/Convergence
    Never played: Cryx/Mercs

My biggest issue is that the metal blades on the neck are just not there, they become blobby and fade away in some areas. Almost the whole model is on pegs but doesn't fit together well; expect especially bad gaps between the small heads and large ones.

Picked up my pair last night and got about halfway through the 1st one.

The kit is indeed 5 sprues of bits (80+) and there is a 3 page set of directions (thankfully). The bits don't like to match up perfectly sadly, but a lot of minor gap fills should solve that. So far, the tail has been my largest hurdle. The tail is made primarily of a base plate, an under plate that 99% of the time will not be visible, and a series of 2 / 3 part sections that go from the tip of the tail up towards where the heads attach.

Quote Originally Posted by BeatDownTown View Post
    My biggest issue is that the metal blades on the neck are just not there...
    They might have separate pieces originally, given the detail on the box art / original pictures. But that would have dialed the complexity / cost of producing the kit way up.

Nonetheless, I'm still ecstatic and can't wait to see them on the table.

-Khadoran Hydra

Zombie Conqueror

Sounds exciting. I'm really hyped about painting it but not at all about assembling it. Will buy it some time this year when I've gathered the courage

Quote Originally Posted by BeatDownTown View Post
    My biggest issue is that the metal blades on the neck are just not there, they become blobby and fade away in some areas. Almost the whole model is on pegs but doesn't fit together well; expect especially bad gaps between the small heads and large ones.
    There's blades on the chest!?! Oh god I painted over those without even realizing it!
    Xerxis does not go "Epic". Epic goes "Xerxis".

Conqueror

The blades on the chest are poorly casted, this alone is turning me off, You can see pictures on the facebook group...can't believe they approuved it like that...I mean when i pay 140$ for a model i expect it to be nice and well done...

Quote Originally Posted by Toymachine View Post
    You joined the wrong group. There is a group with about 2k members, send a request to that one and you will get approved quickly. Before you get upset about how Facebook works and picking the wrong group PP and nobody here has any control over the number of groups created and how they run those groups.
    It wasn't meant as a complaint - I know how facebook groups work / are administered, it was more of a statement of my intention to read at the source rather than wait for reposts on here. I have my approval after around 5 hrs I think? The reason I had missed the discussion so far was because somehow I had previously joined the smaller (3-400 member?) group that hadn't had a post since before Christmas!

After looking at pics, I am not too disheartened, but will wait until I have it in my hands tomorrow morning for a proper inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by Madcore View Post
    The blades on the chest are poorly casted, this alone is turning me off, You can see pictures on the facebook group...can't believe they approuved it like that...I mean when i pay 140$ for a model i expect it to be nice and well done...
    I might not be remembering this correctly but wasn't the Hydra release pushed back quite a while because initially they had tested a sculpt with like 14 bajillion pieces and it took the professional model guys at PP like 14 hours to assemble? I can't remember the actual numbers but the assembly time was honestly like 12+ hours IIRC. My guess is that the pain hooks were initially all separate bits that had to be individually cleaned/attached and it was simply too difficult to justify the slightly cleaner/crisper look of the final model.

I'm sure you'll find people who would be ok with that sort of thing and others who prefer the way it is now but I, personally, would like to see a few more shorts of a well-painted, finished model before passing ultimate judgement on model quality (although I understand everybody's concerns.)
    Bringing the dead back to a near approximation of life and loving it

So the left side of the main heads chest hooks are miscast on mine its the only miscast I have found so far. Ill probably do a ticket to get it replaced.

Here is a picture of what some of the gaps look like.

All in all I am still happy with it so far. I like working with the plastic 100% more than resin or metal. I am kind of curious how I am going to paint this thing though I normally paint big models like this in pieces then assemble it all together. They way the heads attach to the body is a bit wonky from what I can tell on the instructions (I haven't gotten that far yet). Depending on how that works I may just have to bit the bullet and paint it fully assembled.
    Never make friends with a Cryx player...they cheat.

I'm not sure if the hooks are a miscast or just poor design. I submitted a replacement form but will not trust or hope. It's going to be a good amount of work removing those strange volumes toward the bottom and defining the hooks with milliput.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybrid View Post
    So the left side of the main heads chest hooks are miscast on mine its the only miscast I have found so far. Ill probably do a ticket to get it replaced.

I think the mediocre hooks are just how it's going to be. Mine (and others' who've shown theirs) look the same.

Otherwise, those gaps seem to be par for the hydra course. Once cleaned up a bit, tightly winding string around the necks while the glue dries seems to help. As far as the tail, I'm just planning on green stuffing the gaps here and there.

-Khadoran Hydra

Conqueror

wow, looking at the close up pictures on top, it is worst than I though....paying $140 and there is a good 4h of works if not more just to make it look good...I was expecting a lot more from this model...Did put up a bloodthirsters from GW yesterday as a commission work and wow, we are worlds apart here...I was buying the model because it looks awesome but has mediocre rules...now, its just bad all around....God I hope the errata is good...

Sorry guys, not a salt guy usually and being sick does not help for sure, but that's bad...

Just cancelled my order for one...
    Last edited by Madcore; 01-13-2017 at 08:53 AM.

Annihilator

Isn't it $110? But yeah, I'm going to wait and order one. The model is too nice to grab when they haven't worked out their production issues.

Having the same issue with some casting issues and the pain hooks just slowly blending into the body. Having to fill a lot of gaps... Not what I want for 150.00 Small gaps are a given but some of them are 2-3mm in width.

It does have some gaps, but I am still excited to get one. Is it what I want for $200? Maybe not, but still it's such a cool model idea. It's just a shame it costs $300. I mean, honestly, if I'm paying $400 for a model I expect it to fit like a dream. But whatever.
    Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.

All in all I am still happy with it so far. I like working with the plastic 100% more than resin or metal. I am kind of curious how I am going to paint this thing though I normally paint big models like this in pieces then assemble it all together. They way the heads attach to the body is a bit wonky from what I can tell on the instructions (I haven't gotten that far yet). Depending on how that works I may just have to bit the bullet and paint it fully assembled.
    The picture of you holding one of the heads, looks like it's not lined up correctly and has some flash/excess that needs to be removed near the head before you'll be able to do that. The top down shot on the tail overall looks super minor and easily filled with some liquid green stuff.

Conqueror

Quote Originally Posted by Fabint View Post
    Isn't it $110? But yeah, I'm going to wait and order one. The model is too nice to grab when they haven't worked out their production issues.
    Depends where you live, in Canada with taxes will go around 140 perhaps a bit more

Quote Originally Posted by Jaradakar View Post
    The picture of you holding one of the heads, looks like it's not lined up correctly and has some flash/excess that needs to be removed near the head before you'll be able to do that. The top down shot on the tail overall looks super minor and easily filled with some liquid green stuff.
    Oh yeah I didn't clean it or glue it together yet that was just to show case the miscast chest issue. I put in a parts replacement ticket and probably wont glue those together or work on that part till it arrives. I can post some more pictures as I work on it later today if you want.

Oh yeah I didn't clean it or glue it together yet that was just to show case the miscast chest issue. I put in a parts replacement ticket and probably wont glue those together or work on that part till it arrives. I can post some more pictures as I work on it later today if you want.
    What I'm wondering... are you sure it is a miss cast? If you cleaned it up, would it not fit together correctly?

Zombie Conqueror

Thanks for posting the pictures. Overall it doesn't look too bad.

What I'm wondering... are you sure it is a miss cast? If you cleaned it up, would it not fit together correctly?
    I think he's talking about the flesh hooks on the Hydra's "chest". They are actually so soft in that picture it's easy to think they are just armor plates.

There seems to be a bit of confusion about what I am talking about here so I circled the hooks on the right in red and the lack of hooks in blue on the left.

Having picked up my kit today and had a look, i honestly dont think its a miscast. It is just a really unfortunate "casualty" of how the sprue has been laid out (in particular the angle of the piece), so that there is no over/underhang in the mould.

Conqueror

Mine has also on two necks one side really sharp fleshhooks and on the otherside they are not really remarkable... Thats pretty uncool for that price.

I've seen quite a few posts on this problem now, so I don't think it's a miscast. I think with the prevelence of the issue, that it's a problem they had with the hooks not being defined in the mold. Then again, I haven't seen it in person yet, so I could be compleatly mistaken

It has to be a miscast. If it isn't and this is just how the model is going to be than that is ****ing false advertising. For $110 dollars I expect to get the model that is presented to me via the pictures they have been showing and the art on the box. I got the model because I thought it looked cool and I wanted to paint it. At this rate not only do I really not want to play it that often because of bunk rules I now don't even really want to work on it until they replace the parts that are not right.

For $110 dollars I expect to get the model that is presented to me via the pictures they have been showing and the art on the box. I got the model because I thought it looked cool and I wanted to paint it.
    Agreed, and it really sucks.

Conqueror

It has to be a miscast. If it isn't and this is just how the model is going to be than that is ****ing false advertising. For $110 dollars I expect to get the model that is presented to me via the pictures they have been showing and the art on the box. I got the model because I thought it looked cool and I wanted to paint it. At this rate not only do I really not want to play it that often because of bunk rules I now don't even really want to work on it until they replace the parts that are not right.
    Totally agree with you on this, I was lucky enough to notice this before buying it so i cancelled my order, hope for you that they fix this, defaults like this have no place on an expensive model like this....

Ah, I thought you where talking about how the two pieces line up Vs the casting quality of the two sides.

Mine has the same problem, with one side being a bit muted while the other being much more sharp. Does it suck? Yes. But at this point I've waited so long I want to just move forward, so my plan is to do some greenstuff sculpting to bring the detail back.

Also besides that issue the model is amazing and I don't want to hold off not having it any longer.

It's really unfortunate that they had this problem, hopefully it's something they can fix... but will see.

PS: Overall the plastic material choice is still off from GW. Overall it has close to the same detail but here are some things that are still not quite there yet:

1) Super glue seems to be slow/resistant compared to GW.
    2) Fitting/precision is not quite to GW's level...
    3) Combine the two above and you end up having to glue and use an accelerator or have clamps to hold parts together (that in a GW kit would just fit and require no such additional work).

Now for me, this is not a deal breaker. I have the tools and modeling experience it just means assembly is much slower than I wanted it to be. The model looks amazing and I can't wait to finish it up.
    Last edited by Jaradakar; 01-16-2017 at 02:00 PM.

Putting mine together tonight and it has the same issue with the hooks. really kind of irritating. and if you look at the other necks it always seems to be the same side with the muddled cast. i hope they fix the issue in the future. just sucks those of us getting it on release are getting shafted with a sub-par sculpt. At think point I will probably just paint them to be like the rest of the scales.

I'm not having the gap issues you seem to be having though. in the one picture you can kind of see the pin that is sticking out. Mine was like that until I fiddled with it a bit and then it pushed down in farther.

Damn, that is crappy casting. Kind of regretting buying one before it has even arrived.

Just picked mine up last night from the LGS. Anyone have any suggestions for how to convert it? I'd been thinking about sinking the base and angling the body so the position is more like it is rearing back to strike but want to get feedback from those who have already built it.