Default What is your Grind Team like?

Basically as the title, what Jacks/Beasts do you have in your Grind team? And what style is your coach?

Bonus Questions!
    • What model do you have acting as the coach (do you have a specific model?)
    • Have you got to play a game with it yet?
    • What did you think of how your team played? Are there any Jack/Beast tradeoffs you would make looking forward?
    • Were you able to build your team with models you already owned? Or did you have to make an additional investment?
    "A weapon is a means of transferring energy from the source to the target until the latter breaks."

To answer my own question:

Coach: Tactical
    Decimator
    Kodiak
    Juggernaut
    Juggernaut
    Vanguard
    Vanguard

Im planning a kitbash for a coach to try and mesh rutgar shaw up with kozlov and see if that works out. Otherwise the coach would probably be Harlan Versh.
    I havent got to play this yet, and Khador is my only warmachine faction and im still catching up after the 1 jack per list standard that was Khador in MK2 so I dont have the Kodiak yet. But it could be fun?
    "A weapon is a means of transferring energy from the source to the target until the latter breaks."

Coach: deceptiv
    Feral Warpwolf
    Shadowhorn Satyr
    Shadowhorn Satyr
    Scarsfells Griffon
    Scarsfells Griffon
    Scarsfells Griffon
    Scarsfells Griffon

The model I use as Coach is a Kaya 1 painted in the 'team' colors.
    I played twice so far and the only change to the roster was to switch out the second feral I had in there for a second Satyr and a bench-griffon.
    Now with three fliers and two Leaping Satyrs I normaly get 2-3 models behind my einem, which means if the grinder fits through or can be kicked over that line I can normaly score a Goal. The Games went 2:0 and 3:1 for me.

Characteristic fertilizer Wold-art: Vlad2, B13;
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS_Simon View Post
    Our harrier swarm is very well trained in tactical interdiction.

Combatant

Angelius
    Archidon
    Blackhide Wrastler
    Titan Gladiator
    Cyclops Brute
    Bull Snapper
    Coach: Deceptive

2/3 of the list is immune or resistant to knockdown, which is crucial. Wrastler and Gladiator bully the ball through the enemy, and the flyers go in for the score once it's freed from the center clump. Crit pitch on the Archidon is pretty consistent on the Grinder. 2-0 with the list so far. Mostly been using Rask or Morghoul 2 as the coach, since they're painted and near the top of my bag. I had everything but the Angelius already, and I just got that this weekend. Trying to figure out how to stick some Skorne shoulder pads on there, despite its lack of arms.

Not sure on coach yet but looking at the folowing for my list. Not sure on coach yet or what the final list will look like. Hoping for a game this Fri.

Slayer
    Slayer
    Warden
    Warden
    Seether or Inflictor
    Kodiak

Played a couple games, but only with the same all Trollbloods team, as those were the models I had with me both times. Burrower unit leader was the coach (at least he's getting some form of table time). Both times I chose the Offensive coach and both times my opponents (one all Ret and all Cryx + a Mangler) chose Deceptive coaches. The Rage animus + the Furious Rage spell makes for some heavy beat down (especially when on a Slag troll against warjacks).

15 - Mauler
    15 - Mauler
    15 - Earthborn
    10 - Axer
    10 - Slag
    10 - Slag
    Coach: Offensive

Though you don't want to take out an enemy player too early in your turn, it's still good to soften them up/knock out what systems/aspects you can. POW 18 collateral damage from a thrown grind ball (STR 12 + Rage + Furious Rage) is quite good at damaging/knocking down multiple things and finishing off things that are close to destruction without ending your turn. Jump Shot ignores Guard, but not steady heavies, so Earth's Blessing on the (frequently ARM 20) Earthborn was quite good. Having all players with open fists is quite useful. Also, with coaches being unable to heal, having players that can all regenerate can be clutch.

I'd like to try a mixed Hordes team eventually, but want to play a Warmachine team next. The two I've got in the works:

15 - Rockram
    12 - Juggernaut
    13 - Kodiak
    11 - Nomad
    10 - Crusader
    9 - Vigilant
    5 - Galvanizer
    Coach: Defensive
    (need to pick up a Galvanizer)

and

13 - Kodiak
    13 - Kodiak
    13 - Kodiak
    12 - Juggernaut
    12 - Juggernaut
    12 - Juggernaut
    Last edited by Mr. Mayhem; 02-16-2017 at 01:29 PM.
    Those smote by Mulg the Ancient: Stryker1, Stryker2, Constance Blaize, Nemo2, Haley2, Kreoss1, Amon, Durst, Karchev, Skarre1, Goreshade2, Venethrax, Mortenebra, Vyros1, Ravyn, Magnus1, Ashlynn, Lucant, Madrak1, Jarl, Kruger1, Kruger2, Grayle, Morghoul1, Mordikar, Makeda2, Rhyas, Thagrosh1, Lylth1, Vayl2, Absylonia2, Arkadius, Barnabas, Rask

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mayhem View Post
    13 - Kodiak
    13 - Kodiak
    13 - Kodiak
    12 - Juggernaut
    12 - Juggernaut
    12 - Juggernaut
    Im feeling a twinge of Khadoran pride in how incredibly straightforward that team is.
    Last edited by Tempests_Wrath; 02-17-2017 at 10:24 PM.

Mine is:
    Kodiak
    Kodiak
    Marauder
    Marauder
    Gorgon
    Gorgon

Needed some light 'Jacks for defense, and the Gorgon guns are useful with such a slow army, but there's a lot of ball control and enemy control in it with the Combo Slams and Grab and Smash.

Destroyer of Worlds possiblyarowbot's Avatar

Tokaa, Razaar, Bebop, Rocksteady. Still deciding the rest.
    When you find yourself outnumbered, outmanned, outgunned and outclassed... do something stupid.

Angelius
    Titan Gladiator
    Titan Gladiator
    Nephilim Bolt Thrower
    Nephilim Bolt Thrower
    Coach deceptive

Opponent
    Decimator
    Decimator
    Decimator
    Kodiak
    Kodiak
    Coach offensive

I score at the end of round two by feating and double juking a gladiator between a Decimator and Kodiak, slamming the grinder with a gladiator for a one point lead. This play was set up by two bolt thrower shots, and a slam from the secound gladiator. I play defense the rest of the game. I end up sacrificing my angelius using a tail strike and armor-piercing to send the grinder flying out of the middle, the bolt throwers shoot the grinder twice setting up another crucial slam for a gladiator who sends the grinder hurling to my opponents back corner. My opponent spends his last to turns trying to unjam the grinder from that corner unsuccessfully.

Hordes Win 1-0

Destroyer of Worlds SlenderBurrito's Avatar

Haven't gotten to play yet, but I'm thinking of some variation of the following:

Scavenger (Goalie)
    Stalker (Forward/Striker)
    Warden (Defensive Midfielder)
    Mangler (Stopper)

With the Wardens able to get +3 STR and already slamming for free, one focus goes to boosting a P+S 17 slam against the Grinder. If I'm reading the rules correctly, grand slam means that I'm likely getting D6+2" BEFORE any points of damage send the grinder further. (on average another 4.5-5 inches!) this means that an average slam from a buffed-up Warden will send the grinder 10 inches down range, about a third the field! That is, if I can nail an opening for it to go through.

Stalkers are there to bounding leap into position and bash the ball into the goal.

Mangler most likely gets Absolute Aggression to enjoy boosted threshers, and the Scavenger will pick apart anything with a P+S 14 Finisher when it gets into melee.

The list looks fun, and I can't wait to try it.
    Last edited by SlenderBurrito; 02-20-2017 at 12:25 PM.
    If I play Cephalyx, I'm still HALF a Cryx player, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Norway View Post
    In the desolate field of Cryx Mark 3, Skarre remains standing proud upon a mosh pit of Satyxis screaming "I'M STILL HERE"

Quote Originally Posted by SlenderBurrito View Post
    Haven't gotten to play yet, but I'm thinking of some variation of the following:

Scavenger (Goalie)
    Mangler (Stopper)

With the Wardens able to get +3 STR and already slamming for free, one focus goes to boosting a P+S 17 slam against the Grinder. If I'm reading the rules correctly, grand slam means that I'm likely getting D6+2" BEFORE any points of damage send the grinder further. (on average another 4.5-5 inches!) this means that an average slam from a buffed-up Warden will send the grinder 10 inches down range, about a third the field! That is, if I can nail an opening for it to go through.

Stalkers are there to bounding leap into position and bash the ball into the goal.

Mangler most likely gets Absolute Aggression to enjoy boosted threshers, and the Scavenger will pick apart anything with a P+S 14 Finisher when it gets into melee.

The list looks fun, and I can't wait to try it.
    Personally I would run a deception coach, and one or two decimators with both those wardens. Juke lets you set up slams really well. Jive for the plus two move and parry can be clutch. Decimators can push the ball into an ideal position for slams with dozer rof two and beat back. As for lights I'm not sure I mostly play hordes.

Destroyer of Worlds SlenderBurrito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Browntown88 View Post
    Personally I would run a deception coach, and one or two decimators with both those wardens. Juke lets you set up slams really well. Jive for the plus two move and parry can be clutch. Decimators can push the ball into an ideal position for slams with dozer rof two and beat back. As for lights I'm not sure I mostly play hordes.
    See as much as I like the Deceptive Coach for that reason, I can get a LOT of damage done with the Offensive coach without boosting anything. The Stalkers both have blessed inherently, and five P+S 15s can hurt a LOT even unboosted. Wardens pump it up to six P+S 17s, but the Scavenger can enjoy a brutal four P+S 14 with additional damage die against wounded models, putting it close to the Stalkers in terms of damage output.

And of course, the Mangler with P+S 21 is going to hit like a truck. Just gotta watch out for those excessive force penalties.
    If I play Cephalyx, I'm still HALF a Cryx player, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Norway View Post
    In the desolate field of Cryx Mark 3, Skarre remains standing proud upon a mosh pit of Satyxis screaming "I'M STILL HERE"

Been demoing Grind at SmogCon this weekend and have found some little beauties.

My demo Hordes team, as decided by models available, was:
    Coach: player choice, though I played Aggressive (Tactical/Deceptive was popular too)
    Mauler
    Earthborn
    Axer
    Impaler
    Slag Troll
    Nephilim Bolt Thrower

Being able to hit at P+S 22 or Jump Shot/Throw 9" was incredible with the Mauler, even the Slag Troll was smashing the ball around, and putting serious hurt on Warjack teams. Managed a goal from right on Overdrive kick off using only the Impaler, Axer and Mauler. The Nephilim was great for setting up and nudging the ball around, and allowed me to have a token Blight guy on team.

Some other models I like the look of that may find their way into my pool of players are the Shadowhorn, the Angelius, and the Wild Argus. I don't collect Circle or Legion, but will pick some bits up for Grind purposes.

For Warmachine my demo team was:
    Coach: Player choice (I used Deceptive)
    Templar
    Marauder
    Kodiak
    Nomad
    Vanguard
    Vigilant

That Marauder is just... well, it just is what it is. The Nomad surprised me as nice, cheap and effective. Vanguard and Vigilant worked well as defence. Kodiak helped control placement with many throws/slams, and the Templar managed to continually miss the Grinder... would have been great otherwise. My dice just didn't like the Templar.

My personal teams are yet to be settled for when I start my local league, but I will most likely be running a Focus list with Harry the Hat (from Guild Ball/Infamy) as my coach.

Totally sold on Grind.
    Retribution Achievements 505/2760

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnlord Ed View Post
    Hey, build a Khadoran a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Light a Khadoran on fire, and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempests_Wrath View Post
    Basically as the title, what Jacks/Beasts do you have in your Grind team? And what style is your coach?

Bonus Questions!
    • What model do you have acting as the coach (do you have a specific model?)
    • Have you got to play a game with it yet?
    • What did you think of how your team played? Are there any Jack/Beast tradeoffs you would make looking forward?
    • Were you able to build your team with models you already owned? Or did you have to make an additional investment?
    My team:

Quote Originally Posted by squee View Post
    My Grind team, the Binkovsky Brigands!

Team composition:

Defensive Coach (Coach Aleksei Kristov)
    Kodiak (Binki)
    Juggernaut (Bonk)
    2 Marauders (Boks & Pinball)
    Nomad (Ronin)
    Vigilant (Sakhmed)
    No games as of yet, as we're still getting the table ready, and no I didn't buy any additional models as I have a whole bunch of spare Grind jacks I was using for the RPG as well as a Nomad.

As for playstyle, I foresee my boys forgetting about the ball and being all about keeping the sponsors happy, the sponsor I've got me eye on being Empire Assembly!
    Last edited by squee; 02-23-2017 at 01:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Talhe View Post
    Squee, it is no exaggeration to say that you have single-handedly restored my faith in Khadoran 'jacks. Thank you.
    ai ar riter for webkomiks an ar gud at spelings en gremar. u can find mai komiks HEER (fantusee advenchur) an HEER (ackshun an cheezcaek!)

Nice looking team (for what the filter allows me to see). Love Pinball. It's a Marauder with Grind arms?
    Last edited by Gabbi; Yesterday at 02:27 AM.