Default What flesh tones do you like/use?

I found Ghool's "Tip's" and plan on devouring (all of) them this weekend, but I'm curious what flesh tones and brands you prefer?

In the past, I had success with Reaper's Master Series that came in a 3 shade set; unfortunately, it's the only set/colors/brand I've tried. That was years ago (over six) and I no longer have them.

I'm not religious about brands so I'll try anything P3, GW, etc.

Honestly, I use a JoAnn Fabrics "Flesh" color. I'll paint a pinkish base, then mix a touch of green, red, or yellow into the Flesh color (depending on what I'm going for), paint, wash it down with an Army Painter's Flesh Wash, and then highlight back up with the base color or straight Flesh color, again depending on what I'm going for. I feel like it's more about making sure your layers are smooth and that you have good coverage than the paint brand (though I do like both P3 and GW's extra pigment content for brighter colors).
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS_Pagani View Post
    Perhaps wait to judge till you've actually played it.

I use Ungor Flesh as a base. Then Vallejo flesh wash. Then another layer of ungor flesh to build up lighter colors. Then Kislev Flesh (probably two or three very thin layers) and a bonewhite/kislev highlight on things like ear tips and nose tips.

Start with a white (any, doesn't matter), and add a spot of red, yellow and some green. It should turn out a nice flesh colour, so long as most of it is white.

The P3 triad is real nice though, and covers the gamut of caucasion skin tones quite well. Plus, you can always just add a spot of brown, green, red, or whatever, to change up the tone and prevent all your white-skinned people looking like clones.

I love the P3's though and RMS is a close second.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod_Plarzoid View Post
    Ghool, your painting is sowing social discord and civil disobedience. In the future, please think about the consequences of posting your work, so this doesn't happen again. Perhaps use less of whatever it is that you use to get your results? Thanks.
    Need help painting? Just watch my YouTube Channel. You can also support me on Patreon.

These are all great suggestions, thank you; additionally, I had no idea there was such a thing as 'flesh wash' - nice!

I like to use Vallejo dark prussian blue as a mid tone highlighting to a dark blue and using a royal purple mix for shadows. For Trolls anyway.

For a sickly skin I use Red Baige from Vallejo mixed with a touch of black and highlight with Schmincke Titanium White. Learned this from Painting Buhdda

I use VGC Pale Flesh, washed with GW Ogrun Flesh, and highlighted back up with Pale Flesh. It's quick and gives a nice 'cartoony' flesh color that stands out on the table.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krill
    Our figures cost more, do less and have a higher content of lead, ensuring that anyone who actually plays Menoth will die horribly by age thirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Deranged Hermit View Post
    I like to use Vallejo dark prussian blue as a mid tone highlighting to a dark blue and using a royal purple mix for shadows. For Trolls anyway.

For a sickly skin I use Red Baige from Vallejo mixed with a touch of black and highlight with Schmincke Titanium White. Learned this from Painting Buhdda
    Interesting. I've always wanted to paint Trollbloods - I have the 2 player box (skorne & trolls), so I'll be saving this info. Also, thanks for the Paitning Buddha share - I'll check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by crann777 View Post
    I use VGC Pale Flesh, washed with GW Ogrun Flesh, and highlighted back up with Pale Flesh. It's quick and gives a nice 'cartoony' flesh color that stands out on the table.
    Do you have any pics/threads with pics that are a good example of what you're talking about on the 'cartoony' flesh? It sounds cool.

Long ago I thought to myself: "why are skorne as pale as me when they live in a desert?". So I started painting them with a tan skin tone that is basically vcg beastly brown/vcg leather brown/pp rucksack tan with a bit of flesh wash on top. Not too complex and I've used it on other projects when I've gotten bored of painting everyone as a white guy.

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatTom View Post
    Long ago I thought to myself: "why are skorne as pale as me when they live in a desert?". So I started painting them with a tan skin tone that is basically vcg beastly brown/vcg leather brown/pp rucksack tan with a bit of flesh wash on top. Not too complex and I've used it on other projects when I've gotten bored of painting everyone as a white guy.
    Good point on sun exposure and skin tone.

I've thought about changing up some of the characters a bit (I don't read fluff much, even though I would like to know it better) and doing some Cygnar solos and casters as people of color.

Conqueror

I've had a lot of luck with army painter Barbadian flesh with a simple soft tone wash over it. Table ready, looks great and is very easy.

Quote Originally Posted by POP3Feats View Post
    Good point on sun exposure and skin tone.

I've thought about changing up some of the characters a bit (I don't read fluff much, even though I would like to know it better) and doing some Cygnar solos and casters as people of color.
    I think it would fit with the fluff well enough to at least some degree if Major Brisbane is any example, though they are a minority I think. I've been known to do up random grunts or CA's in a similar skin tone from time to time for the sake of variety.