Thread: Making a wash?

Default Making a wash?

So I took 2 drops of GW codex grey, 6 drops of 70/30 water/Liquitex Flowaid, and one drop of alcohol. The amount of pigment seemed pretty good, since I want it real thin to over my white. Problem is, it left sharp lines at the edges of the pools. What do I need more of? Water, flowaid, or alcohol?

Thanks in advance!
    Originally Posted by Draekon Darkstorm
    "Ah, glad to see I'm a ninja even when sleeping."

Fight me!

Start with more water, just water, you've got enough Flowaid in there. You're barely past what I would consider thinned paint, with a 25% paint/water ratio. For a wash, you want more like a 5% paint/water ratio. I actually do feathering and layering with paint at a 4:1 water/paint ratio to get good blending. The thing is, you have a dry pigment paint (i.e, a ground up pigment suspended in a liquid binder), instead of a wet pigment (i.e., P3's paints, with a liquid pigment suspended in a liquid binder) so if it's A. left to pool, and B. put on a little too heavy, even with the alchohol in it, you'll get tide marks. Better to go multiple thinned washes to build up the color, than try to get it all in one go. All the alcohol is doing is killing the surface tension so that the wash will pool down in the recesses of the model, but it's not going to get rid of tide marks if you still have too much pigment.
    QUOTE (PPS_Mod:Josh @ Sep 1 2008, 03:45 PM)
    Because 'Organized Groups of Highly Trained Individuals Supported By Military-Industrial Complexes Engaging In Large-Scale Conflict In Support Of Their Nation, God, or Coin In A Fantasy Steampunk Setting' wouldn't leave enough room for the cover art.

Privateer Studio Painter PPS_Matt DiPietro's Avatar

Some good advice there Gryphin especially making the distinction between liquid and powder pigments. I agree with gryphin that it sounds like you're laying it on too thick which is a very common error. Never allow you're wash to go on so thick that it pools in the recesses. It should feel like it is one thin coat of paint over the surface. Yes, it should concentrate in the recesses but should not pool. My two cents on mixing washes and additives... I thin the paint with water and 0-3 drops of mixing medium only. The medium is used to add translucency which is probably what you like with flowaid but I've found the extra flow when using flowaid is counterproductive for washing and flowaid is really more useful when blending using juicing/layering technique. This type of mixing works fantastically with P3, every paint in P3 mixes easily into a wash, and should work fine with other brands though I've found Vallejo gets chalky leaving tiny dots depending on the color. When mixing an ink wash dilute with clean water only since the ink is naturally translucent mixing medium is counter productive. Ink can also be mixed into paint washes to add extra vibrancy while increasing translucency so less mixing medium is needed. In my experience a 5% dilution is more in line with a glaze (super thin paint applied thinly and evenly in multiple layers to tint an area) rather than a wash. I suggest a 4:1 or 6:1 dilution for washing but I also use a second brush to wipe the wash away from the highest points so a 8:1 dilution may be more your style.
    Last edited by PPS_Matt DiPietro; 07-22-2010 at 10:14 AM. Reason: edited for typos

I make all my own wahes using artists inks, matte medium, flow aid and distilled water. Kinda nice being able to make any color I want Its a bit expensive to get the stuff to start up(inks are about 6$ each) but I droped about 60 or 70$ and got the supplies to make a gallon or two of washes. And the inks will probly last forever since its about 40 drops per ounce to get good color.

Conqueror

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress of Minis View Post
    I make all my own wahes using artists inks, matte medium, flow aid and distilled water. Kinda nice being able to make any color I want Its a bit expensive to get the stuff to start up(inks are about 6$ each) but I droped about 60 or 70$ and got the supplies to make a gallon or two of washes. And the inks will probly last forever since its about 40 drops per ounce to get good color.
    Any particular inks you recommend?

Conqueror

Quote Originally Posted by Intelligence3 View Post
    Any particular inks you recommend?
    See here: http://thepaintingcorps.blogspot.com...-released.html

This is how I make all my washes. I believe that regardless of brand you need to get the water resistant acrylic type of ink.
    "Am I like the only one here without an avatar?"

Conqueror

Thanks for the info, what a great link!

For years I just used future floor poish instead of the matte medium. After seeing Les's recipe it was like one of those 'Duh....why didt I ever try that??' The ones made with that recipe do need to be shaken- ALOT. They settle very fast, but thats what makes them work so well for shading. So, dont fill the bottles all the way up, leave room to shake them up