Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Supreme ArchCurmudgeon LonelyMonk's Avatar

Default War Engines - Hordes dreaming

Last night, I was reading one of the Monsternomicon RPG books. There are quite a few Big (4-10 time man size) creature in that book.

Does anyone think that Hordes will be some BIG beefy things to go with the Warmachine War Engines?
    Lonely Monk http://lonelymonk.wordpress.com/

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty." Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute ? get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed.

Destroyer of Worlds GunMageinTraining's Avatar

Edit: Nevermind me, just read the other thread, seems like Matt Wilson confirmed 110mm base sizes... yea, Big!

As to the question, definitely possible to see some big beasts. There are already super-large Woads in the Monsternomicon, and Everblight could grow some bigger ones I suppose. I'm not sure about Skorne or Trolls though...

Trolls might use some sort of Chariot or Mammoth mounted something, and Skorne could build a giant spirit-controlled statue or something similar if they wanted, just guessing.
    Last edited by GunMageinTraining; 08-13-2010 at 10:57 AM.

My geusses would be these if these siege type monster sized models came to hordes.
    Skorne: giant scorpion
    Trollblood: Mammoth
    Circle of Orboros: Giant Wold
    Legion of Everblight: A winged dragon type creature
    Minions: Hydra

Destroyer of Worlds

probably not for awhile, but that's okay. we've got a ton of stuff coming out really soon as is. looking forward to a flying unit

Destroyer of Worlds GunMageinTraining's Avatar

And just to squash it now.... The Battle Engine sized creature for Everblight won't actually BE Everblight... unless it's in a Pygmy form of some kind.

Dragons are honking HUGE, probably capable of stepping on any of the above and hardly noticing it.

We thought of this last night and thought what if we got Giants/Titans...

Quote Originally Posted by Mattho2k3 View Post
    We thought of this last night and thought what if we got Giants/Titans...
    Titans are elephantine beasties not too much bigger than a Warjack - and the enslaved giant of the Skorne has been brought up in other threads.

Circle will get that ridiculously massive Wold...I forget its name.

Legion will probably be the unholy union of Carnivean and Angelius.
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS_Dougseacat View Post
    Warcaster beat-down requested for Cryx. Preferred beat-down target: Victoria Haley.
    Things Loveless will happily buy: Nephilim Sorcerer, Raccoon Ninja Minions, Resculpted Goreshade1, Resculpted Kreoss2, Extreme Avatar

Well in the Skorne's first ever appearance (the Battle of Corvis in the Witchfire Trilogy) they made use of dinosaur like creatures with armoured Howdahs which mounted cannon. I would expect to see something along those lines.

Some potentials:
    Volume 1
    Dracodile, a huge croc.
    Drake, dragon like creatures but not related to dragons.
    Gorgandur, huge wyrm Dune style seen as an incarnation of the devourer by some.
    Kaelram, mammoth like creature living in the Bloodstone area, trainable as a beast of burden.
    Raehvan Buffalo, huge buffalo with huge Elk like antlers.
    Volume 2
    Desert Hydra, huge Hydra with 5 dune style wyrm heads.
    various Drakes
    Ethons, half vulture half bat creatures, some have been captured by Skorne beast handlers
    Giants are in this book, but they're similar to the Dragons, all named, Chilon is enslaved by the Skorne but so far "he has resisted their efforts to turn his strength to warfare".
    Mammoth, not quite like what we call Mammoth, more like a mammoth mixed with a triceratops.
    Woldwrath, druid construct, is pretty huge.

All those things may vary though, the silhouette size hasn't always been respected when going from original concept to miniature rules and model (the Slag Troll is a "Dire" sized troll in the book for example).
    -
    "Violence is a precision instrument--it's a scalpel, not a club"
    -

-

Annihilator

Quote Originally Posted by Loveless View Post
    Circle will get that ridiculously massive Wold...I forget its name.
    The Woldwrath.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivellis View Post
    The Woldwrath.
    Aye, that's the one. Nasty bugger. Killed my sheep, it did.
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS_Dougseacat View Post
    Warcaster beat-down requested for Cryx. Preferred beat-down target: Victoria Haley.
    Things Loveless will happily buy: Nephilim Sorcerer, Raccoon Ninja Minions, Resculpted Goreshade1, Resculpted Kreoss2, Extreme Avatar

Destroyer of Worlds

I would like to see an actual giant. They exist in the IK, and in the MN2 the skorne have captured one.

I will play any faction that has a giant.
    R.I.P. Greedo1379 (1980-2006)

Humble Mandarin

Allot to look forward... so little time to paint. Good times. Can't wait to see what this stuff is about.

Regards
    Sam

What will Trollbloods get? Mulg is supposedly the biggest, oldest troll around...and he's about the same size as an earthborn.

Maybe we just get a unit that specializes in murdering colosus like beasts and machines, as apparently that was our forte back in the day.

Rasheth 2014: Chains we can believe in!

Destroyer of Worlds Defenstrator's Avatar

I've always wanted a dragon for everblight, and with Typhon released it looked like it would never happen. I'm hoping the 110mm base will open up the possibility of everblight making a miniature version of himslef to act as a proxy.
    Quote Originally Posted by John of Arc View Post
    Who hates Steelheads? That's like saying "Man, screw bread. Bread can go die."
    Our Warmachine and Hordes Blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Defenstrator View Post
    I've always wanted a dragon for everblight, and with Typhon released it looked like it would never happen. I'm hoping the 110mm base will open up the possibility of everblight making a miniature version of himslef to act as a proxy.
    Isn't that just Thagrosh? Or maybe the Legion Battle Engine will be Legendary Thagrosh's 3rd stage transformation?

Actually, that'd be sweeet...

Aanyway, my predictions...

Circle - The Woldwrath! This is the only one that doesn't require thought :P
    Trollbloods - A decent sized war-chariot/wagon pulled by Bison.
    Legion - A massive, massive Angellus.
    Skorne - Chilon the Giant. He had resisted all efforts of the Skorne to turn his strength to war... As of about 606AR. I think it'd be a good turn in the giant's tragic tale if he turned up in Western Immoren, the Skorne having finally broken him after years of torture (plus it'd show the full power and evil of the Skorne). Plus, these things are probably gonna be characters anyway...
    Alexa Greengrass Iron West Company Sylena Nyvarr Scions of Llael
    Drago Grigorovich Izaak Markarov's Dragonslayers
    Quote Originally Posted by jdripley View Post
    I ascribe to the Chip logic.

R.I.P. Greedo1379 (1980-2006)

Destroyer of Worlds Northern Ronin's Avatar

You do know they very well might have previewed Legions basic idea in Primal right?

We've already seen the Skorne battle engine. There is a picture of it in the WFT, they used it to attack Corvis. Basically it's a giant reptilian mammoth with a huge gun platform on its back.

As for Circle the Woldwrath is a pretty safe bet.

Yeah, everyone has pretty much agreed that Woldwrath is the no questions asked circle giant-mega-super-beast-thing.
    I think all of the others, maybe accept Skorne are up in the air.
    The giant seems like a safe bet.

Hmm, the giant for the Skorne probably is the safest bet...

BUT! Wouldn't it be cool to have like a MASSIVE Ancestral Guardian? Like one akin to Colossus size? Have the Skorne construct a massive one powered by a dozen ancestors and we'll have ourselves a rather awesome war engine-ish thing for the Skorne!

"Dirty, Sneaky Elves!"
    When life gives you Lemons.... Kill all the Humans

Dracodile for the Blindwater Congregation?
    A Tale of WMH 2014 - now in its third hit season!

Destroyer of Worlds Thunder_God's Avatar

Is a new base size of 110mm or some such confirmed?

Wonder if they'll get the old "Epic" rule so to speak, where you can't take them in under 75 pt games or some such.
    "I am light. I am dark. I must give my life to serve; not even death can release me."
    - Selenia, Dark Angel.

Playing: Skorne, Legion.
    Exact statistics with the Troll Calculator in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder_God View Post
    The info has been revealed by Matt Wilson in Boosted Damage ep. 47 interview
    Last edited by Lee T; 08-14-2010 at 06:32 AM.
    -
    -

-

Podcasts! *Grumbles and winks*

Thanks.
    "I am light. I am dark. I must give my life to serve; not even death can release me."
    - Selenia, Dark Angel.

It's possible the Protectorate gets the giant and the Skorne get their Mammoth + Howday thingy. We haven't seen the Protectorate's war engine, the giants and Protectorate both worship Menoth (although giants call Him Monloeth), and Protectorate and Skorne are both hanging out in the same area of Immoren (potential giant rescue).

Anyways, that's just my hope - that the Protectorate get the giant. :-) Been hoping that since I read that giants worship Menoth, too.

Thanks.
    Happy to oblige .
    -
    -

-

Wonder if they'll get the old "Epic" rule so to speak, where you can't take them in under 75 pt games or some such.
    Maybe just make them 15 pts or so, that'd detract from their appeal at lower point games.

Speculation:
    Circle: Woldwrath or a number of beasts mentioned in the circle forum that are too large for heavy beasts. I think the Woldwrath is a safe bet for the first release, and maybe one of the larger living things as a second "war engine".
    Legion: Either super-epic Thag, or the thing Vayl has been working on...
    Skorne: The dino-war engine sounds pretty amazing and I'd love to see it. The giant would also be quite interesting, but I think a big humanoid would be less ascetically pleasing than some of these other ideas.
    Trolls: A troll-ed up war wagon, or a Raseth (spelling?), but with Dires instead of Agonizers and a bunch of Trolls with weapons (mounted siege weapons and guns) instead of a fat-arse.

Annihilator

Something I think would be cool for the Trolls is like the mother of all Krielstones: It would have a small team of Trollkin pulling it forward with ropes with a mound of dirt building up in front of it as it is dragged through the soil, there would be Pygs swinging from harnesses with chisels like they're still adding to it, and to one side there would be an Elder looking like a satisfied construction supervisor.

the way I see it, 110mm is so damn big for something of this scale, that to not give it a diorama-esque sense of character is just a waste.

I hope nobody gets vehicles in Hordes...err, I hope trolls get a 3 man "unit" of fullblood trolls carrying a huge caber/log to trip the other large things as they used to do to the collosals. Not likely.

I think Hordes won´t get huge, killy things if the WM ones really are supposed to be affordable (points-wise) support things.

For epic scale battles I'm not too concerned about the in-game balance of these.
    For 0-75pt games though, I'd be worried that it skews towards: "You'd better build with units/models to deal with this, 'cause if you don't have redundant models that can take it down, the rest of your army can't touch it."
    Of course, there's always the tactical option to simply ignore/flank around the War Engine and go for the assassination, which is an aspect of Hordes/War Machine that is superior to almost any other miniature game system I've played (chess excepted )

For Trolls I'd request a Rube-Goldberg-esqe contraption with Pygs clambering all over it, perhaps a locomotive body (the medical train that Hoarluk/Dires attacked?), double Dire Troll Fred-Flintstone propulsion, and bristling with 'borrowed' cannons/guns. (Imagery may be too 40k Ork-ish though). That'd surely be a centerpiece!!

Quote Originally Posted by joedj View Post
    For epic scale battles I'm not too concerned about the in-game balance of these.
    For 0-75pt games though, I'd be worried that it skews towards: "You'd better build with units/models to deal with this, 'cause if you don't have redundant models that can take it down, the rest of your army can't touch it."
    Of course, there's always the tactical option to simply ignore/flank around the War Engine and go for the assassination, which is an aspect of Hordes/War Machine that is superior to almost any other miniature game system I've played (chess excepted )

For Trolls I'd request a Rube-Goldberg-esqe contraption with Pygs clambering all over it, perhaps a locomotive body (the medical train that Hoarluk/Dires attacked?), double Dire Troll Fred-Flintstone propulsion, and bristling with 'borrowed' cannons/guns. (Imagery may be too 40k Ork-ish though). That'd surely be a centerpiece!!
    Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.

Can Legion get an uber spawning vessel drawn by carnies, and pumps puts out light/heavy non character warbeasts, for a reasonable blood token cost of course.

Fits nicely, not a game ruling unit in itself, balanced activation requirements, and damn cool looking!
    Circle of Orboros - stopping opponents from doing anything in game since 2006

Conqueror

gonna make some guesses

Trolls= bison chariot
    Circle= woldwrath
    skorne=ferox chariot (probs wont happen but with all the eastern influences the skorne have its a possibility )
    everblight= a carnivean with a big spawning vessal on its back (maybe one that make light warbeasts)
    Minions= probably wont get any but i could imagine farrow getting some kind of scrap made siege tower

I hope trolls dont get a chariot its such a terrible idea in this setting.
    A massive mammoth thing would be awesome but trolls are a tough one to do simply because of Mulg is supposed to be the biggest ( as mentioned above) everything else though could be easily done
    Quote Originally Posted by Septimus View Post
    Don't listen to Megatron; he's evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf99 View Post
    Megatron is Always right.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkenTyre View Post
    I would like to see an actual giant. They exist in the IK, and in the MN2 the skorne have captured one.
    Wasn't that Molik Karn?...

Quote Originally Posted by megatron0 View Post
    I hope trolls dont get a chariot its such a terrible idea in this setting.
    A massive mammoth thing would be awesome but trolls are a tough one to do simply because of Mulg is supposed to be the biggest ( as mentioned above) everything else though could be easily done
    I thought Mulg was just the largest known troll...
    Quote Originally Posted by moleverine View Post
    If you worship MagnustheJust, you fight for coin, and that is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by solkan View Post
    You mean Magnus isn't the Harbinger of the Comfy Chair?
    Proud member of the Keeping Mercs Metal Club

I thought the point made was that he was the oldest.

Besides, maybe Dhunia will give the trolls a way to mergy 2-3 Earthborns together, heh.
    - Selenia, Dark Angel.

Quote Originally Posted by petegrrrr View Post
    What will Trollbloods get? Mulg is supposedly the biggest, oldest troll around...and he's about the same size as an earthborn.
    Circus Pygs that climb on each other's shoulders until they from a giant.

The Trollblood war engine will be an over-turned hospital train car pulled by dire trolls.

My impression is that the Woldwrath is a unique character. Whether a unit type that fills a certain slot in a book is a character or not tends to be fairly uniform, with just a few exceptions (like character dragoons vs. hellion), so unless all the Hordes war engines are going to be characters, my guess is the Circle engine won't be the Woldwrath. Unless I'm mistaken about its uniqueness.

I also see it as a distinct possibility that Hordes just won't get war engines, ever. I guess that would depend on how well the WM ones are received. Hordes is still waiting for 3-man character units, after all.

Legion - The Black Shard.... We are catching up to you WMers....
    Circle of Orboros - stopping opponents from doing anything in game since 2006

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast