Last edited by berkzol; 12-21-2009 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Picture upate
Great job on the battle damage and rusting, it looks nice
Picking out the rivets/ edges of the plates goes a long way in making a model pop, but that's all I really have to say. It looks good for a gritty realistic style. And awesome for your first model! Keep up the good work.
I have thing for battle torn models schemes and i have to say it looks great. The rust effect is nicely done and are those decals or did u paint the number?
Thanks! The numbers are free-hands, I wanted to use decals, but what I've ordered were too small -> last option: free-hand
That looks real neat. It looks like a Devastator that has been rusted.
the weathering is very nice indeed. I would have preferred if the paint wasn't so think but i think with some practice it'll be perfect =D
Thin or thick?I would have preferred if the paint wasn't so think
If you are thinking on the edges of the rust where the paint is thicker, that was an effect from me, I wanted it looking real. I took it from several pictures, like this. See the edges of the rust.
And thanks again
Lol. My bad. I thought it was too thick and should be thinner. My fault for not proof reading.
It kind of looks like a WW2 tank pulled out of a peat bog in 1990 and pressed into service again.
Not my thing, but flawlessly executed, hands down.
I am using here a little bit blending, shading and a lot of weathering.
This is my 1st model painted, but I will add updates every time, when I finish a model.
So, here it is, first 'jack, my Devastator. I made here a little bit mistake, the metals and the plates are too dark, next time they will be brighter a little bit + I must work on my NMM, I am just a beginner.
Devastator 1 front:
Devastator 1 right:
Devastator 1 back:
Devastator 1 left:
I've finished my Extreme Juggernaut today:
C&C are welcome, as always!
Well first off, I love the painting, even if the first one is a little dark. They look so nicely worn! And how could the extreme juggernaut be number 2? Shouldnt he be numbr 1?
I finished my destroyer today, here are the (crappy) pictures:
C&C are welcome,
whoa those look really nice. i really like the extreme juggernaut's paintjob. where did you get the boxes from the destroyer's base?
Those poor jacks! They need a good refit, polishing, and a fresh coat of paint. But the battlefield always calls, so who's got the time for it?
I really like the battleworn look of your models. Like they've been in the field for years, never enough time to head back into the shop for a cleanup. How do you achieve the heavy rust effect? And how do you weather the freehand unit/division markings?
My painted models (The studio is for music.)
I really like the look of these, both the initial color choice (that sorta painted gray with red here and there for Khador and the unit's designation), not over powering, but still very thematic and fitting. The weathering effects and rust are simply amazing with a huge thought for detail (Such as layering thick so there is viable 'missing' space where the paint is gone on rust patches).
The only thing I can spot to nit pick on is the magazine for the Destroyer; Since I presume the magazines are detachable, and the ammo of course is as well, both should probably be fresh (I wouldn't wanna risk firing a round that's so old it's rusted). It's hard to see, but I suppose the splotch on the bottom round could be intended to be mud or something temporary.
An idea otherwise is try to include copper parts in minor areas, like bolts, boiler components, pipes and the like, which you could corrode to some effect (donno if the coloration would throw it all off though).
Oh, after thought, those bases are INSANE, you make them all yourself and how?
first of all, thanks for the feeedbacks!
My technique for the rust is the following:
1. Birnging up the main colors (red, green, grey)
2. Freehand with white (Khador markings, unit markings, service date like in the book escalation)
3. A very heavy black wash(to darken the bright colors), then a smaller wash to the recesses
4. Here comes the rust effect. I made this stage for ck. 3-4 times:
a. Heavy sponging with the color Smokey Ink from Vallejo to the sides of the plates
b. Medium sponging with the color Skin Wash from Vallejo to the sides + deeper
c. Light sponging with Gold Yellow + Skin Wash to make some "orange rust"
d. Light sponging with Yellow Olive to bring back the brighter green
"With this iteration after the free hand stage, the markings will be also weathered giving them a natural look."
5. Highlighting, blending the sides/plates where is needed (I didn't like "the sides are brighter" look, because this I make the highlights "light" and not to bright)
I didn't make the bases, I bought them from here(Battle Bases -> Trench and Old factory bases, to achieve WWII Stalingrad look for the models): Micro Art Studio
For Jaster, who spotted my error at the magazine:
You are right, the were an error at sponging. But after some time, I liked the muddy/risty look of the shells and therefore I didn't corrected it.
Next time I will try some copper, not just simple metal, the next project will be ideal for this(a full unit of MoW STs).
Thanks again guys, I hope I've answered your questions.
Nice to see the weathering on all your Warjacks. Also, nice pose on the "closed" Devastator. Kudos to you!