Combatant

Default 2 questions about "hustle back" play

1) When moving a jack as part of the "hustle back" play, the rules say that I can/have to move it "in the direction of [my] goal zone". To my mind, there are three possible interpretations of "in the direction of".

a) I can only move it straight back (orthogonally) towards my goal zone (and would have to stop if there was an obstruction in that path)

b) I can move it "towards" my goal zone, i.e. each step must take the jack closer to the goal zone, i.e. I can move orthogonally as well as diagonally towards my goal zone

c) I can have the jack move along any path as long as it ends up closer to my goal zone than before

We are playing with option b, but an official ruling would be nice.

2) Do Jacks who move as part of the "hustle back" play still need to make block breaks?

CoachB

1) The answer is b.

2) Yes, you will still need to make Block Breaks.

Unofficial ruling here but I doubt it will be overridden.

Combatant

Ah, nice, one of my last questions is now solved.
    But I have some more concerning Hustle Back:

While advancing a jack during "Hustle Back", may I
    - push the Grinder?
    - redline (if action dice left)?

Destroyer of Worlds tutenkharnage's Avatar
    Crawling through the Undercity with the BRI

Hustle Back states:

"Advance each chosen steamjack a number of spaces up to its Speed in the direction of your goal zone. As with a normal advance, you can change the facing of each of those steamjacks if you wish."

So it appears to be a normal advance, which means that pushing the Grinder and redlining should be possible:

Pushing the Grinder (p. 12): "During its advance, a steamjack equipped with a control arm can push the Grinder."
    Redlining (p. 8): At the end of your steamjack's advance, you can redline it to give it one last burst of speed."

A strict reading of the rules, IMO, supports the ability to push the Grinder and to redline, but one may question why, if this is the case, the Hustle Back description is so specific. If you can do these things, why doesn't the special play simply say, "Make a normal advance with each chosen steamjack, but each space the steamjack moves must bring it toward its goal zone"? It's a valid question. I say, go for it! This game is all about pushing the envelope as far as you can during each turn, and allowing redlines and Grinder pushes fits with that model. (That said, the fluff side of the play suggests hustling back to play defense, which suggests that redlining is fine but that pushing the Grinder would be disallowed. I doubt we'll see an infernal here any time soon to resolve this. Heck, I don't even know if Grind has infernals.)

And i gotta say its a great game, except ,my board doesnt lie flat and im missing a red runners leg, but other than that hey, it's a lot of fun. Although i was playing with the grind ball having an armor of 2 in the middle. It was nice with two jacks holding with a combined armor of 8 on the ball there.

Destroyer of Worlds tutenkharnage's Avatar
    Crawling through the Undercity with the BRI

Quote Originally Posted by Zhah001 View Post
    And i gotta say its a great game, except ,my board doesnt lie flat and im missing a red runners leg, but other than that hey, it's a lot of fun. Although i was playing with the grind ball having an armor of 2 in the middle. It was nice with two jacks holding with a combined armor of 8 on the ball there.
    My board won't say flat, either. Gravity will likely do the job if you're willing to let it sit somewhere for a while. As for the missing leg, I'd contact PP's mispacks department (assuming it didn't come in the box, of course).