Annihilator

Default If I Ran the Farrow: Thornfall Alliance Tactics Discussion

The Farrow are a dirty reviled species that most other races are hard pressed to get rid of. But that’s half the fun in playing them. They represent this in their rules as well as in their fluff, with access to armor buffs to their heavies as well as being about to prolong the longevity of their units with Tough and Go to Ground. As an overview of the race I’ll be touching up on all the currently released models, and addendum this as more models come out in the future.
    Currently the only way to play the Farrow is through the Thornfall Alliance, which is in No Quarter 31 pg. 56 - 57.

In my tactics I’m making the assumption that you are familiar with models spells/abilities and will focus on situation usefulness and tactics.

Casters:
    Dr. Arkadius
    Unreleased.
    Lord Carver, BMMD, Esq III
    With Batten Down the Hatches, he and his battlegroup are at the lowest Arm 20. Mobility gives him and his battlegroup +2 Spd and Pathfinder. You’re going to be tempted to just go all out and rush down the opponent. This is generally a risky bet, as most armies have a way to deal out massive damage if needed, and being Def 10 on the War Hogs and Def 13 on Carver will get you into trouble. He is a lead from the middle caster. Willing to go out and take care of some models with his spray or charge to free up his Warbeats / Units. Try to refrain from getting to greedy or over reliant on Arm 20 to save you. Carver’s problem is in Fury management. Also with only Fury 6 his beasts will generally run hot on Feat turn. So be wary of were you place them. If push comes to shove Carver can go out and generally hurt their caster and with Spd 8 Mat 7 P+S 15 it’s likely as well. Quagmire seems to be either something cast early and you play the risk game of being Arm 20 and no Fury to Transfer or Casted against prime targets after you’re already in the scrum and you no longer really need Mobility to get to your targets.
    WarBeasts:
    Light
    Gun Boar
    Stats are decent, with Carver he’s Spd 7 Arm 20. Which are rather respectable stats better than some other factions heavy jacks; though missing the boxes. The thing I don’t like about him is his gun, pow 13 for pow 7 blast damage can on average kill arm 13 troopers; only one shot kinda hurts. So far I’ve used him as a charge blocker to keep my War Hogs from getting torn to bits. Arm 20 ( with Carver ) takes a decent amount of damage to take out; so generally it’ll have to be melee. Which also hopefully will mean the opponent will block his own charge lane or need to Trample to the War Hog. Most Heavies can’t kill arm 21 ( with Carver ) without the Charge + Initial Attacks. Dual open fists give some tossing options which is kind of neat to throw one of their models to knock down a crucial target to give your Hog’s a guaranteed chance to kill most targets because if he can hit most opponents can’t take multiple high Pow attacks that the Hog can dish out. Also a Slam can achieve the same effect as a Double Handed Throw if you can get the angle to pull it off.
    Heavy
    War Hog
    This guy is a monster, Spd 4 is slow but with Mobility to mitigate it not really a problem. Having 3 base attacks is very good and a Critical Knock down is great. I personally Boost to hit on the Gore attack, hoping for a critical which will generally mean you are going to thrash your target. Aggression Dial is very powerful but he doesn’t have that many boxes and rolling 3 damage to the wrong aspect at the wrong time can ruin your momentum so don’t get zealous. His animus is very interesting, basically it stacks with Overtake from Carver’s Feat. Granting a total of an additional 2” if you kill your Charge Target. This gives you a very large vector for attacks. 4” ( Base Speed ) + 2” ( Mobility ) + 3” ( Additional Charge Movement ) + 1” ( Massacre ) + 1” ( Overtake ) + .5” ( Non-Reach ) = 11.5” of threat. The stipulation of course is that you kill your Charge Target and that your charge target has to be an Enemy Model to get those extra abilities to go off. Costing 2 Fury is the downside of the Animus on the other hand, though it is only effectively 1 Fury since it allows you to charge for free, and granting you another attack pays for it self in the end but this means you are wasting your extra charge dice against something that you can almost guarantee will die. But in the end if you need the extra 2” wheres the room to complain.
    Units
    Farrow Bone Grinders
    Grinders are cheap, Arcane Bolt is a decent spell to cast offensively especially in a faction that in general lacks Magical Weapons. The +1 to hit for each model in 1” is good but makes them prime targets for AoE’s; which is bad. Bone Magic is this factions way of reliving the caster of the responsibility; note this ability just specifies friendly destroyed Warbeasts so they may have some uses with Lesser Warlock Beasts; Brine is an exception since his Animus is Self. The problem with Bone Magic is that it requires one of your Warbeasts to already be dead. So until they are kind of just hanging around shooting 1 Ranged Attack a turn. Craft Talisman is kind of neat but since the spells you’ll want to be casting are range Control at least with Carver.
    Farrow Brigands
    The bread and butter unit of the Farrow, with Carver they gain CRA which is a boon for them. They have a multitude of abilities to keep themselves alive with Tough and Go to Ground. And have a high threshold for putting out damage with Hod Wild. Though they will die in droves to a stiff breeze without Tough or Go to Ground. One tactic is to pray Hog Wild do some CRA’s then move and Go to Ground or Run out of the range of their counter attack. Remember this unit is here to take the brunt of the Alpha Strike, then move around with Hog Wild and Charges to free up lanes for your biggin’s to do the really heavy lifting. Do no underestimate Rat 7 Pow 14 shots they can end a fair amount of casters. Also being able to give themselves Pathfinder is a strong ability in a pinch when you need to get to a point or charge partially through terrain.
    Last edited by IRSMARTLIKEROCK; 09-28-2010 at 12:16 PM.

Annihilator

Solos
    Alten Ashley
    He’s a pretty accurate shot and can keep himself out of trouble, with Swift Hunter. But in a faction with CRA’ing Brigands there’s no real need for him, and the feat turn will generally murder most enemy beasts.
    Gudrun the Wanderer
    Really strong flanker, that can basically operate with little to no backup. Feign Death with Binge Drinking can keep him ticking vs ranged armies. And Berserk with Mat 7 means he can take a fair amount of models with him before he goes down. Try not to get to greedy and he can sneak up the flank and get into their back lines to really disrupt their plans. And force the opponent to deal with him or risk a Pow 15 Charge Attack or their support falling in droves.
    Rorsh & Brine
    Rorsh
    Has a ton of nifty abilities, Dig In is solid, and having 2 ranged attacks is very good. Though they are low power, he has the ability to boost which events it out a bit. Diversionary Tactic is his bread and butter, being able to ignore Free Strikes and give Brine an additional 5” onto his charges or just get him out of being engaged with a model can help a lot. His spell is situational at best but generally won’t be stopping something from getting to Rorsh. Out of the 2 Rorsh is the weak link because if he dies so does Brine. But at least Brine gets an attack off before he dies with Rorsh. So in short keep Rorsh out of danger, Souie is there for a reason, Cast Pig Farm, and have Brine charge, out of your control range; since you’ll have an Additional Die on Damage rolls, against living models, and get all of your initial attacks.
    Brine
    Same knockdown weapon as the War Hogs but lacks the damage potential they do with the lack of Aggression Dial. Animus as mentioned a moment ago is strong but only against living models Warjacks and Cryx have less to fear. But he does benefit from Carver’s feat so for 1 turn he can put out a surprising amount of damage; but only if you roll well. Also Pain Response is a very strong ability, since it frees him from having to pay for Charges or Power Attacks. He is also the only other Model that has access to Double Handed Throws outside of the Gun Boar. With Diversionary Tactic this means he can potentially walk 10” and Double handed Throw a jack back towards the rest of your line or at their caster so that the Brigands can start firing away.
    Saxon Orrik
    Blind Spot is a corner case ability, and so is Dismember. A Pow 8 Weapon Master vs Beasts only isn’t that great. Reconnaissance is a pretty nifty ability it’ll allow you to Pathfinder your Brigands, make them Tough and Go to Ground so that very little can get in the way of your front line and theirs. Take down is also a corner case ability but it at least has potential vs most solos; and Remove from Play is a pretty rare ability in Mk 2. Inflict Pain has a neat property of being able to take or give a Fury to a beast, maybe make the opponents Transfer target become full. Or hit one of your own Warbeasts to try and manage some fury. At dice -13 against a War Hog you are unlikely to damage it so long as you don’t Charge yourself. Rifle is good for picking off models when he has nothing better to do.
    Viktor Pendrake
    Beast Lore is an alright ability, it’ll allow Brigand to hit most Warbeasts without Quagmire. But that’s pretty much it in terms of usefulness with the Farrow. Dismember and Duck are also corner case abilities. The Chain Bola is a very nice weapon but Range 8 and only Rat 6 means he’s really close to the front line to pull it off and even then it’s hard to hit. On that same note Luck is nice because Rat 6 means he’ll be hard pressed to hit Def 14+. Orgoth sword is nice if only for a Magical Weapon, but pow 11 isn’t that snazzy.

Annihilator

Reserving space.

La la la... I never said nufink...

If a mod sees this post, please remove it.
    Last edited by maxxev; 09-28-2010 at 12:35 PM.
    Devilsquid - "Give a faction player a lemon, they'll cry about how they have to make lemonade. Give a merc player a lemon, he'll squeeze the juice in your eye, beat you down, and steal your lunch money". Searforge Painting & Modelling Thread

Architect of The 3-Step Plan to Victory Mod_Faultie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maxxev View Post
    I think it is miss leading to say the Boar is SPD 7 ARM 20 as A. it can't be both on the same turn and B it wont be that under Arkadius
    Why can't it be both?
    Last edited by Mod_Faultie; 09-28-2010 at 12:26 PM.
    This is my mod voice.
    -High Heffalump "Mod" Faultie von Durmstrang

Genteel Collective of Gatorfolk - Project Log

Annihilator

Quote Originally Posted by maxxev View Post
    I think it is miss leading to say the Boar is SPD 7 ARM 20 as A. it can't be both on the same turn and B it wont be that under Arkadius
    You can cast Batten Down the Hatches and Mobility in the same turn neither are Upkeeps. And I have no comments for him with Arkadius simply because Arkadius isn't out yet. Though you are right in that I should specify that those stats are specifically for him with Carver.

Never mind i'm just ignorant.

If a mod sees this post, please remove it.
    Last edited by maxxev; 09-28-2010 at 12:35 PM.
    Devilsquid - "Give a faction player a lemon, they'll cry about how they have to make lemonade. Give a merc player a lemon, he'll squeeze the juice in your eye, beat you down, and steal your lunch money". Searforge Painting & Modelling Thread

Destroyer of Worlds

What? No. Casting multiple nonupkeep spells on the same target is allowed. Have I been doing that wrong?
    Down But Good Completed Warmachine Fan Fiction, novel length.

Wait...you cannot have multiple spell effects on the same model? Is that what you're saying? Is this not relevant:
    Although it is not possible to have more than one friendly
    upkeep spell and one enemy upkeep spell on a model or
    unit at a time, it is possible for a model or unit to be affected
    by more than one spell or animus at a time. As long as
    a model or unit is under the effects of no more than one
    friendly and one enemy upkeep spell, it can be affected by
    any number of non-upkeep spells and up to one friendly
    animus effect at the same time.
    This is my mod voice.

Oh NOW I see why people rave about Carver... :P
    Last edited by maxxev; 09-28-2010 at 12:34 PM.

The restrictions are only on Upkeep Spells and Animus effects. See the quote in my prior post.
    This is my mod voice.

Destroyer of Worlds
    Charlotte, North Carolina, Confederate States of America

The problem is that if you're casting both, you've got 1 Fury left to upkeep Quagmire, so no transfers. Generally, you don't *need* both spells active at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Faultie View Post
    The restrictions are only on Upkeep Spells and Animus effects. See the quote in my prior post.
    Having played exclusively Searforge / Rhulic casters up till the Thornfall alliance came out, this has NEVER come up for me lol, if my opponents did it, I never noticed lol (i'm generally quite trusting that what they say they are doing is all good).

Annihilator

That is correct, but I like to play on the wire; so I personally don't cast Quagmire all that often. But an interesting idea would be to cast Quagmire on the Gun Boar then cast Batten Down the Hatches to have it lock down a heavy jack. Just hope they don't have an easy way to Slam / Throw you.
    Last edited by IRSMARTLIKEROCK; 09-28-2010 at 12:54 PM.

or just make it even easier to pull off that double handed throw on the model you are attacking.

Annihilator

But if you are trying for that, then cast Quagmire on a Brigand unit so that you can affect more models with Quagmire. They just don't have the same staying power, since you are relying on Tough to keep them alive. I do love Brigands, but being Def 12 Arm 14 doesn't make for a safe bet on his longevity.

personally, I think quagmire is Carver's best spell. An unavoidable defense debuff and move-impairing effect is really useful, especially when put on a cheap throwaway unit that no one wants to waste time killing. Like bone grinders.
    -Nothing will come of nothing.

Destroyer of Worlds
    Charlotte, North Carolina, Confederate States of America

Rift is also a good spell. Dropping Rift Templates can save you from charges and generally muck about with things.

Annihilator

Rift is a solid spell, and most heavies caught in it will effecively be neutered in their charges.

50mm base is about 1.97", and it's an AoE 4". Taking the fact that 4" ( size of the template ) - 1.97" ( size of the heavy ) = 2.03" ( leftover part of the AoE that the heavy isn't in ). Divide it in half because the heavy will only be moving through the forward half of the circle. Thus if centered on a large base model has to move about 3.17" to get the back of his base out of the AoE; thus taking about 6.34" of their charge just to get out of it.

Thus would give a normally Spd 5 jack about 4.83" + .5" of threat range; this is good to know if you have to have Carver front and center or if there is a jack coming in from the flank.

Conversely the range of Rift is 8", a Spd 6 jack can charge 5.83" and if he has reach can only get to 7.83" of threat; which means you are safe with a slim margin.

That is all moot if the heavy has Pathfinder though, or can charge 10" and has Reach or charge 11" without Reach.

Actually my problem with Rift is that they generally put it on Caster's with low Focus/Fury; 3 Fury out of 6 is huge.
    Last edited by IRSMARTLIKEROCK; 09-28-2010 at 02:28 PM.

Destroyer of Worlds

Pendrake is a total toolbox for the points. Possibly the best solo we have after R&B.

Not to mention a charge with him on feat turn is ps 11 +5d6 (against a warbeast)
    Wrap me up in my old flying jacket,
    And give me a joystick to hold, to hold,
    And I'll soar once again o'er the trenches
    And thus shall my exploits be told.

Quote Originally Posted by Reemule View Post
    Pendrake is a total toolbox for the points. Possibly the best solo we have after R&B.

Not to mention a charge with him on feat turn is ps 11 +5d6 (against a warbeast)
    As a non-Farrow model, Pendrake doesn't benefit from Hog Heaven.
    Judge since 5th November 2013

H-phlegm -ah-dor

He's confusing him with Porkdrake. Common mistake...

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueBaron View Post
    He's confusing him with Porkdrake. Common mistake...
    No, no. This is a Pork Drake.
    He must be thinking of someone else.
    This is my mod voice.

Personally, I love quagmire. One strategy is to cast it on a unit of farrow. Pray for tough and give the command to charge. Have a few models run to engage the models you want your War Hogs to charge. Creates quite the tarpit. It also shuts down assassination defensive spells like watcher and admonition as long as you end your move in b2b. In my first game with the pigs vs an Ashlynn tier 4 list I cast quagmire on my last hog, trampled through some gunmages and contacted Ashlynn. She couldnt runaway and quagmire with a boosted attack was all I needed. He thought he was safe with admonition.
    Its better to be caught with your Kilt up than with your pants down, you can run faster.

Quagmire is awesome because it has so many damned uses. It's a DEF debuff. It's a tarpit ability. It shuts down Acrobatics, Kill Stroke, tramples, Incorporeal phasing, etc. It's just so good.

Annihilator

I know it's an amazing spell but when are you casting it? First turn go Mobility / Quagmire then turn 2+ is Upkeep Quagmire and cast Batten Down the Hatches and Mobility? Sitting on no transfers makes me antsy; though Arm 20 is Warcaster level Arm.

Quote Originally Posted by IRSMARTLIKEROCK View Post
    I know it's an amazing spell but when are you casting it? First turn go Mobility / Quagmire then turn 2+ is Upkeep Quagmire and cast Batten Down the Hatches and Mobility? Sitting on no transfers makes me antsy; though Arm 20 is Warcaster level Arm.
    It's different every game, and rarely programmatic. Depending on the situation, Mobility or Batten might be given up in favor of recasting Quagmire. Spell priority is a matter of what's across the table.

Annihilator

Austerity, would be the key then since we lack other factions focus/fury helpers. I'll try a different approach in future games; and get back with how it goes.

Annihilator

I still maintain that Gudrun is a good candidate to cast Massacre on. He charges in, hopefully killing his charge target and then berserks, then he steps an inch and then attacks again, giving him a good chance to clear out a lot of infantry.
    "No, Mike, this is what happens in the REAL world! Horrid lumps of discharge destroy beautiful innocent robots with impunity, laughing all the way!"
    -Tom Servo, MST3k

Annihilator

While once in a while that 1" could help, as a general rule most opponent won't have more than 2 - 3 models close enough for Gudrun to Berserk through. If he could gain Overtake like the Farrow do during Carver's Feat then he would be beastly and able to take out whole units on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by IRSMARTLIKEROCK View Post
    While once in a while that 1" could help, as a general rule most opponent won't have more than 2 - 3 models close enough for Gudrun to Berserk through. If he could gain Overtake like the Farrow do during Carver's Feat then he would be beastly and able to take out whole units on his own.
    The point is more that he gets an extra attack. It looks like this:

1. Massacre is put on Gudrun
    2. Gudrun charges, If he kills his target, go on to step 3.
    3. Berserk Triggers. If he kils his target, repeat step 3. If he misses, go on to step 4.
    4. Massacre Triggers, Gudrun may advance and attack again. If he kills his target, go on to step 5.
    5. Berserk Triggers. If he kils his target, repeat step 5.

As long as he kills with his first attack, he'll be able to mitigate one miss because of Massacre and the timing rules. This is nice considering that MAT 7 ain't that hot.

Destroyer of Worlds

I don't think that would work (Ref Gundrun and Masacare)

So Gundrun Charge, Kills charge target, Bezerk has to trigger (it is a must ability)

Primal Page 60, Attack generating abilities then applies, so as he had to choose Berserk, Massacre is lost.

Right?

Ohh and I forgot the Farrow only part of his Feat. It doesn't apply to Viktor.
    Wrap me up in my old flying jacket,
    And give me a joystick to hold, to hold,
    And I'll soar once again o'er the trenches
    And thus shall my exploits be told.

Destroyer of Worlds

@IRSMARTLIKEROCK, is you not forgotten Orin Midwinter, the Totem Hunter, Lanyssa Ryssyl & the Feralgeist?

Tarma

Conqueror

Quote Originally Posted by Tarma View Post
    @IRSMARTLIKEROCK, is you not forgotten Orin Midwinter, the Totem Hunter, Lanyssa Ryssyl & the Feralgeist?

Tarma
    None of those mercs/minions will work for the Thornfall Alliance.
    MK2 Points owned by army:
    Magnus Agenda -
    Retribution of Scryah -

If I ran the Thornfall...

I'd be up to my eyebrows in bacon, sausage, ham, and ribs!!
    Quote Originally Posted by moleverine View Post
    If you worship MagnustheJust, you fight for coin, and that is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by solkan View Post
    You mean Magnus isn't the Harbinger of the Comfy Chair?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovnik Tsumi View Post
    Magnus may not be a myth, but he is a legend!