Combatant

Default Painting Menoth - Achieving the white armour

I've recently (this week) bought the Menoth mini starter kit, paints and faction book.

I'm looking to copy the studio colour scheme but I'm confused as how to achieve the white armour look.

The Menoth base coat is basically beige and the highlight an off white. My question is, with a beige basecoat how do I achieve the white studio look of the models?

As far as I can figure out it means basically over painting the Menoth basecoat with the highlight but then what's the point of the basecoat, why not just jump straight in with the highlight?

I'm obviously missing something here but if anyone can give me any advice it's be greatly appreciated.

Have a look at the Forces of Warmachine: Protectorate of Menoth book. There the studio-colors are all explained. I'll see if I can give you a run-down of it later today.
    (sig by SnakeEyes)

Combatant

Quote Originally Posted by marijnh View Post
    Have a look at the Forces of Warmachine: Protectorate of Menoth book. There the studio-colors are all explained. I'll see if I can give you a run-down of it later today.
    Yep , I have this but the tutorial isn't very comprehensive. It basically says to put the base coat on, shade with cryx, then highlight with Menoth highlight.

Now as I've said, the Menoth base coat is beige not white. If you look at the studio painted models I cannot see beige on there at all, the armour is white. So , how do I achieve that look? Do I need the basecoat or do I just use the Menoth highlight as the basecoat?

Check out my link here on how I painted my Kreoss, it has some tips for painting white menoth armor and robes.

The thing you are missing is that the highlight is ment to be added to the base color to lighten it. Just like the Cryx is added to the base to shade. The base is what helps keep the color consistant through out the painting process.
    BRM
    To the Empress I pledge fealty. Let my spilled blood nourish the Mother Land.

Well, it's not just a pure white. If you look at some of the studio models in the gallery, you can see that it's an off white, not a pure white, and, more than that, you have shadows and brightly lit areas painted on to the model. For example, if you look at the leg of the scourge, you see that it goes from something like pure white, to menoth white base, to something even darker. So in order to get your white looking like the studio menoth white, you generally do want to start with menoth white base as your basecoat, and then smoothly highlight up through menoth white highlight to pure white in those areas that would be hit with more light, and shade those areas that would be in shadow. Does that make sense?
    Check out my Hand Cannon Online tutorials:

You can find my painted minis in the Painting Thread Locator.
    Don't be afraid to paint outside the lines!

Combatant

Thnaks for the replies everyone. So how should I tackle this, keep adding the thinned white highlight in layers to gradually build up the highlights?

Quote Originally Posted by idej View Post
    Thnaks for the replies everyone. So how should I tackle this, keep adding the thinned white highlight in layers to gradually build up the highlights?
    There's no right answer to this, since there are lots of ways to do highlighting. I'd recommend reading some tutorials online to get a sense of some options of different things you could do. If you're not sure where to start, some good ones are on BrushThralls, which is a fantastic resource for your painting questions.

For painting menoth, I'd recommend misterfinn's Miniatures 102: Shading and Highlighting article, which gives you some of the basics, followed by Todd "Dead Dogg" Arrington's article Faction box in 10 days: Protectorate of Menoth, which will help you figure out how to apply those basics to painting studio-style Menoth white.

Note that Todd's article actually predates P3 paints, so you'll have to figure out how to translate from Games Workshop colors to P3 colors. The basic substitutions you want to make (for the white build) are bleached bone -> Menoth white base, graveyard earth -> battlefield brown, and bleached bone+pure white -> Menoth white highlight. Battlefield brown is a bit darker than graveyard earth, so you want to adjust ratio more towards Menoth white base when you use it, to keep things from looking too dark.

Wouldn't Gun Corps Brown or Beast Hide be a closer match to Graveyard Earth? Battlefield Brown is a darker brown, more like Scorched Brown.
    -K.
    Now Taking Commissions!
    War Painter Studio Painting Blog

Quote Originally Posted by KHolt View Post
    Wouldn't Gun Corps Brown or Beast Hide be a closer match to Graveyard Earth? Battlefield Brown is a darker brown, more like Scorched Brown.
    -K.
    I don't think any of them are exact. As best I can tell from online color representations, which never give perfect representations, gun corps brown is orangier, beast hide is cooler, and battlefield brown is darker. However, I think battlefield brown is probably the best substitute for this purpose, since maybe something like 1 part battlefield brown to 3 parts menoth white base will be similar to the 1 part graveyard earth plus 2 parts bleached bone used for the article. Anyways, I know that Dead Dogg, who wrote that article, has recommended battlefield brown as a P3 substitute for graveyard earth in the past.