Default Campaign book for Warmachine / Hordes

I'm relatively new WarmaHordes player, but have been playing miniature wargames since the dawn of time. Lately I got NQ issue #29 in my grubby paws and LOVED the Legion vs. Rhul mini campaign in it. One of the downers in many army scale miniature games is the lack of continuity between games. You win or you lose, maybe you get points for it and win a tournament, but the STORY is missing. Iron Kingdoms is a great setting with rich lore and to get official rules for creating campaings would be an instand win button for WarmaHordes.

This is what I'd love to see:

- "Forces of..." sized book filled with various rules for creating your own scenarios, campaigns, special terrain pieces with special rules etc.etc.

- Rules for randomly creating a strategic campaign map of an area of conflict. Lets say this area would be a some county (like some corner of Llael) or maybe even a city?. The book would give players rules how to create a map (randomly or by choosing) where all the participants would have their base and different areas are divided into hexes (or something similar) with different terrain types. Then when playing a battle of Warmachine/Hordes game the map would "zoom in" and the book would have rules how to translate for example mountain-hex into gaming table terrain. Wood areas would have more forests and so on. This way when choosing where to advance, the player could favor terrain he knows his army performs well. The hexes would also include something like resources and some would be more easily defendable than others.

- Rules how to move armies on the campaign map and how the battles are iniated. Rules for supply lines etc.

Example: All the players have 25point armies to start with. Randomly generated strategic map doesn't only show the terrain, but also resources of an area (towns, mines etc.etc.). Holding rich ares generates more points, with which one can buy more troops or buy other advantages (scouts, defensive structures, assassins etc.etc.).

Ok so far nothing too complicated.

The real beef of the book would be the scenarios. Most of the book would be filled with scenarios and mini campaigns, which would heavily impact the gameplay and bring various special rules on the table. Only a fraction of the battles would be with "normal" rules or steamroller scenarios, but most of them would have civilians to defend, hazardous terrain, defensive structures and the most important of all alternative victory conditions. They can be unbalanced as war is not always (never?) fair. Depending on a scenario the winner could choose from various prizes, from taking the area to stealing goods (points) to destroying populace etc.etc.

Even the overall victory conditions could be something more interesting than just basic "the one who controls over the half of the strategic map areas is the winner". Also some random "events" could happen after all the players have made their moves. A tribe of wild Trollkin attacks and destroys something, a magical item surfaces, illness hits the troops etc.etc.

Ok, I'm getting more excited about it the more I think of it. But what do you think? Would this kind of supplement add to the experience and bring a completely new way of enjoying the game? Or do you enjoy tournament (more sport type) way of playing?

I'd buy this book without thinking. If it would come in a boardgame - box with tokens and hexes for creating the map even better!!!

-----------
    Argh, typo in the thread headline. Argh!
    Last edited by Mordjinn; 10-25-2010 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Trying to make it more easily readable

Destroyer of Worlds CrimsonGuard's Avatar

I'd buy such a book in an instant. I've been thinking about creating my own campain-rules but I simply haven't got the time for it. I feel that a game of warmachine too often just comes down to a caster-kill scenario, wich is a real shame. Creating some kind of background for scenario-play might improve the overall warmachine experience for the players. And now MK2 has been fully realeased it really seems like its time to at least update the old MK1 scenario's (which with the current rules are very poorly balanced). It could be combined with handy tutorials to create appropiate terrain for the scenario's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alviaran View Post
    (I do enjoy making fun of the elves. Fallen civilization just means you guys failed is all. Thanks for playing! Now go extinct already!)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeckert View Post
    Poor guys, you turn half a continent into a bottomless pit one time and you never hear the end of it

Warrior

If you take away the bits about the map, then you've pretty much described the second half of Escalation.
    There is a campaign section in there with tons of special scenarios, some of them have an effect on later scenarios too.
    Its very much a story based campaign, and it is written for MkI, but it is easily adjustable for MkII points costs and rules.
    If you wanted to add a map based/resource point system added, it wouldn't be difficult at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hular View Post
    If you take away the bits about the map, then you've pretty much described the second half of Escalation.
    There is a campaign section in there with tons of special scenarios, some of them have an effect on later scenarios too.
    Its very much a story based campaign, and it is written for MkI, but it is easily adjustable for MkII points costs and rules.
    If you wanted to add a map based/resource point system added, it wouldn't be difficult at all.
    Ooh. I'm such a noob that I didn't have a clue that such a book existed. Does anyone know if PP has any plans for Escalation mkII? Or if some fan-webpage with conversion rules exists?

Perhaps You should read the Campaign-Setting for the "Theatre of War"-Campaigns in Apotheosis or Evolution MkI. Our Group is playing the Hordes Evolution-Bloodstone Marches-Campaign (for the reason of a somewhat continous and historically indipendent storyline) and apart from a grown competetive aura it's quite fun. As a casual player I'd love to see a mere campaign-book without the release of new models (and especially a conversion of the "Theatre Of War"-Settings for MkII). I'd buy this one from the start.
    Last edited by Folha Seca; 10-26-2010 at 12:35 AM.
    How about some alternate-paint scheme CYGNAR?! And after that, why not spend some time in the woods with my CIRCLE ORBOROS...?!

Or take a look at my HAQQISLAM...?!

Destroyer of Worlds

I like the mini-campaigns better than the map campaign or the massive Escalation campaign. We never have time for a full campaign but small plot-driven campaigns where one battle builds off the last one are fun. I am working on a homebrewed one now. I would totally buy a book of mini-campaigns. They could forward the plot with fiction too.

Destroyer of Worlds SoulReclaimer's Avatar

If I had to bet, PP will release the Campaign rules at some pt in the future. The one in Apotheosis was awesome.
    Our politicians will get their get their crap together when Krueger becomes a Menite priest. -eliassmith27

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Azathoth View Post
    I like the mini-campaigns better than the map campaign or the massive Escalation campaign. We never have time for a full campaign but small plot-driven campaigns where one battle builds off the last one are fun. I am working on a homebrewed one now. I would totally buy a book of mini-campaigns. They could forward the plot with fiction too.
    Quick mini-campaign: Randomly pick three scenarios (PP has published over forty). Choose a place and a reason. Record it to reference for your next mini-cam.

But a book would be useful. Check out the thread about "What do you want."
    We all serve Toruk...some of us just don't wait to die first...