Annihilator

Default Things that make you go Souie: Thornfall Alliance Tactics Discussion

The Farrow are a dirty reviled species that most other races are hard pressed to get rid of. But that?s half the fun in playing them. They represent this in their rules as well as in their fluff, with access to armor buffs to their heavies as well as being about to prolong the longevity of their units with Tough and Go to Ground. As an overview of the race I?ll be touching up on all the currently released models, and addendum this as more models come out in the future.
    New Board : New Thread.

Currently the only way to play the Farrow is through the Thornfall Alliance, which is in No Quarter 31 pg. 56 - 57.

In my tactics I?m making the assumption that you are familiar with models spells/abilities and will focus on situation usefulness and tactics.

Casters:
    Dr. Arkadius
    Unreleased.
    Lord Carver, BMMD, Esq III
    With Batten Down the Hatches, he and his battlegroup are at the lowest Arm 20. Mobility gives him and his battlegroup +2 Spd and Pathfinder. You?re going to be tempted to just go all out and rush down the opponent. This is generally a risky bet, as most armies have a way to deal out massive damage if needed, and being Def 10 on the War Hogs and Def 13 on Carver will get you into trouble. He is a lead from the middle caster. Willing to go out and take care of some models with his spray or charge to free up his Warbeats / Units. Try to refrain from getting to greedy or over reliant on Arm 20 to save you. Carver?s problem is in Fury management. Also with only Fury 6 his beasts will generally run hot on Feat turn. So be wary of were you place them. If push comes to shove Carver can go out and generally hurt their caster and with Spd 8 Mat 7 P+S 15 it?s likely as well. Quagmire seems to be either something cast early and you play the risk game of being Arm 20 and no Fury to Transfer or Casted against prime targets after you?re already in the scrum and you no longer really need Mobility to get to your targets.
    WarBeasts:
    Light
    Gun Boar
    Stats are decent, with Carver he?s Spd 7 Arm 20. Which are rather respectable stats better than some other factions heavy jacks; though missing the boxes. The thing I don?t like about him is his gun, pow 13 for pow 7 blast damage can on average kill arm 13 troopers; only one shot kinda hurts. So far I?ve used him as a charge blocker to keep my War Hogs from getting torn to bits. Arm 20 ( with Carver ) takes a decent amount of damage to take out; so generally it?ll have to be melee. Which also hopefully will mean the opponent will block his own charge lane or need to Trample to the War Hog. Most Heavies can?t kill arm 21 ( with Carver ) without the Charge + Initial Attacks. Dual open fists give some tossing options which is kind of neat to throw one of their models to knock down a crucial target to give your Hog?s a guaranteed chance to kill most targets because if he can hit most opponents can?t take multiple high Pow attacks that the Hog can dish out. Also a Slam can achieve the same effect as a Double Handed Throw if you can get the angle to pull it off.
    Heavy
    War Hog
    This guy is a monster, Spd 4 is slow but with Mobility to mitigate it not really a problem. Having 3 base attacks is very good and a Critical Knock down is great. I personally Boost to hit on the Gore attack, hoping for a critical which will generally mean you are going to thrash your target. Aggression Dial is very powerful but he doesn?t have that many boxes and rolling 3 damage to the wrong aspect at the wrong time can ruin your momentum so don?t get zealous. His animus is very interesting, basically it stacks with Overtake from Carver?s Feat. Granting a total of an additional 2? if you kill your Charge Target. This gives you a very large vector for attacks. 4? ( Base Speed ) + 2? ( Mobility ) + 3? ( Additional Charge Movement ) + 1? ( Massacre ) + 1? ( Overtake ) + .5? ( Non-Reach ) = 11.5? of threat. The stipulation of course is that you kill your Charge Target and that your charge target has to be an Enemy Model to get those extra abilities to go off. Costing 2 Fury is the downside of the Animus on the other hand, though it is only effectively 1 Fury since it allows you to charge for free, and granting you another attack pays for it self in the end but this means you are wasting your extra charge dice against something that you can almost guarantee will die. But in the end if you need the extra 2? wheres the room to complain.
    Units
    Farrow Bone Grinders
    Grinders are cheap, Arcane Bolt is a decent spell to cast offensively especially in a faction that in general lacks Magical Weapons. The +1 to hit for each model in 1? is good but makes them prime targets for AoE?s; which is bad. Bone Magic is this factions way of reliving the caster of the responsibility; note this ability just specifies friendly destroyed Warbeasts so they may have some uses with Lesser Warlock Beasts; Brine is an exception since his Animus is Self. The problem with Bone Magic is that it requires one of your Warbeasts to already be dead. So until they are kind of just hanging around shooting 1 Ranged Attack a turn. Craft Talisman is kind of neat but since the spells you?ll want to be casting are range Control at least with Carver.
    Farrow Brigands
    The bread and butter unit of the Farrow, with Carver they gain CRA which is a boon for them. They have a multitude of abilities to keep themselves alive with Tough and Go to Ground. And have a high threshold for putting out damage with Hod Wild. Though they will die in droves to a stiff breeze without Tough or Go to Ground. One tactic is to pray Hog Wild do some CRA?s then move and Go to Ground or Run out of the range of their counter attack. Remember this unit is here to take the brunt of the Alpha Strike, then move around with Hog Wild and Charges to free up lanes for your biggin?s to do the really heavy lifting. Do no underestimate Rat 7 Pow 14 shots they can end a fair amount of casters. Also being able to give themselves Pathfinder is a strong ability in a pinch when you need to get to a point or charge partially through terrain.

Annihilator

Solos
    Alten Ashley
    He?s a pretty accurate shot and can keep himself out of trouble, with Swift Hunter. But in a faction with CRA?ing Brigands there?s no real need for him, and the feat turn will generally murder most enemy beasts.
    Gudrun the Wanderer
    Really strong flanker, that can basically operate with little to no backup. Feign Death with Binge Drinking can keep him ticking vs ranged armies. And Berserk with Mat 7 means he can take a fair amount of models with him before he goes down. Try not to get to greedy and he can sneak up the flank and get into their back lines to really disrupt their plans. And force the opponent to deal with him or risk a Pow 15 Charge Attack or their support falling in droves.
    Rorsh & Brine
    Rorsh
    Has a ton of nifty abilities, Dig In is solid, and having 2 ranged attacks is very good. Though they are low power, he has the ability to boost which events it out a bit. Diversionary Tactic is his bread and butter, being able to ignore Free Strikes and give Brine an additional 5? onto his charges or just get him out of being engaged with a model can help a lot. His spell is situational at best but generally won?t be stopping something from getting to Rorsh. Out of the 2 Rorsh is the weak link because if he dies so does Brine. But at least Brine gets an attack off before he dies with Rorsh. So in short keep Rorsh out of danger, Souie is there for a reason, Cast Pig Farm, and have Brine charge, out of your control range; since you?ll have an Additional Die on Damage rolls, against living models, and get all of your initial attacks.
    Brine
    Same knockdown weapon as the War Hogs but lacks the damage potential they do with the lack of Aggression Dial. Animus as mentioned a moment ago is strong but only against living models Warjacks and Cryx have less to fear. But he does benefit from Carver?s feat so for 1 turn he can put out a surprising amount of damage; but only if you roll well. Also Pain Response is a very strong ability, since it frees him from having to pay for Charges or Power Attacks. He is also the only other Model that has access to Double Handed Throws outside of the Gun Boar. With Diversionary Tactic this means he can potentially walk 10? and Double handed Throw a jack back towards the rest of your line or at their caster so that the Brigands can start firing away.
    Saxon Orrik
    Blind Spot is a corner case ability, and so is Dismember. A Pow 8 Weapon Master vs Beasts only isn?t that great. Reconnaissance is a pretty nifty ability it?ll allow you to Pathfinder your Brigands, make them Tough and Go to Ground so that very little can get in the way of your front line and theirs. Take down is also a corner case ability but it at least has potential vs most solos; and Remove from Play is a pretty rare ability in Mk 2. Inflict Pain has a neat property of being able to take or give a Fury to a beast, maybe make the opponents Transfer target become full. Or hit one of your own Warbeasts to try and manage some fury. At dice -13 against a War Hog you are unlikely to damage it so long as you don?t Charge yourself. Rifle is good for picking off models when he has nothing better to do.
    Viktor Pendrake
    Beast Lore is an alright ability, it?ll allow Brigand to hit most Warbeasts without Quagmire. But that?s pretty much it in terms of usefulness with the Farrow. Dismember and Duck are also corner case abilities. The Chain Bola is a very nice weapon but Range 8 and only Rat 6 means he?s really close to the front line to pull it off and even then it?s hard to hit. On that same note Luck is nice because Rat 6 means he?ll be hard pressed to hit Def 14+. Orgoth sword is nice if only for a Magical Weapon, but pow 11 isn?t that snazzy.

Annihilator

I'm hesitant to review Arkadius yes till I get some more time with him so he'll stay off for the moment.

Don't forget the rocket launcher....

Rocket Launcher-RNG 14 and POW=RNG+1 is good, but it would've been a whole lot better costing 2 pts instead of 3. RAT is bad, AOE is smallest, but gets better with loader helping out. I'll probably buy one anyhow just to have the model. I can see having it sit behind the unit and shooting your own stuff in the back after they engage the enemy since it can't move and shoot. -K

Destroyer of Worlds

Well it does AD in the theme list, and in any case should be included since it is a Thornfall Alliance model.
    Painted MK2
    Khador: 221, Casters 8
    Mercenaries: 135, Casters 3
    Minions: 50, Warlocks 1

For a second I thought Arcadius's entry just said: Useless, and I chuckled and wholeheartedly agreed.

I'm a fan of League of Legends.

Conqueror

Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    Rocket Launcher-RNG 14 and POW=RNG+1 is good, but it would've been a whole lot better costing 2 pts instead of 3. RAT is bad, AOE is smallest, but gets better with loader helping out. I'll probably buy one anyhow just to have the model. I can see having it sit behind the unit and shooting your own stuff in the back after they engage the enemy since it can't move and shoot. -K

I feel that way about most of the artillery in the game. Needs to be 2 Pts instead of 3.

Destroyer of Worlds

I'm glad that Sevwall is spreading the gospel of Arkadius sucks.

It makes it so you cant lose playing the guy. Either... you win and your awesome. Or you lose, but common, its Arkadius.

win/win I tell you.
    Wrap me up in my old flying jacket,
    And give me a joystick to hold, to hold,
    And I'll soar once again o'er the trenches
    And thus shall my exploits be told.

Warrior Lord Carver BMMD Esq. III's Avatar

A very good write up. I dont have much to add personally. Here lately I've been considering more and more adding in some Bone Grinders just to give my army a way to deal with Void Spirits and their ilk who keep cropping up in armies I play against. With Quagmire and on Carver's Feat turn they can deal out some significant damage, if only for one turn.

Devilsquid; Mercs: We win games the old fashioned way....we earn it.
    crash1972; Well I do have a problem saying 'X' is THE BEST in the game!!! It turns into an Apostate War of Relative Subjectivity at that point.

Warrior

Arkadius: I'm finding Arkadius to be less than useless. He doesn't have a plethora of offensive capabilities like Carver does, but his ranged attack potentual can be devasating really. (+2 STR from the dial, +2 STR from his evolution spell, then cast Primal from a very SAFE 22 inches away for a STR 15 attack.) If the evolution was upkept from a prior turn, you can cast this spell twice with boosted damage which will cook most enemy warcasters nicely! I feel he is primarily meant as a good second caster for larger games though. His medicine-bag of abilities and spells can set up an enemy for certain defeat.

Bone Grinders: The Magic attack from the Grinders is very necessary. I had a Void Spirit blow an entire group of Brigands to hell and back. It was tremendously ugly! I successfully used the mass hoard attack with three full units of Grinders and Quagmire. It turned out spectacular. You can buy 18 of these guys for only 9 points. On a Carver-feat based charge, you'll hear your opponent sucking in his breath as he's getting whomped on by 18 feat-enhanced charge attacks.

Gun Boar: I still have issues as to why people hate the Gun Boar's gun attack so much? I find if paired off, you can easily blow an aspect off of an enemy heavy or remove the majority of a squad of infantry preparing to block a charge lane or setting up to charge. If the Gun Boars or a Warlock they're hovering around gets charged the Animus on them will let them pop a few more shots or a melee attack off in self defense before taking damage. I saved myself by removing yet another aspect off of a Rhinodon in my last battle. Carver took the charge with hardly a scratch on him and there was a near dead Rhinodon waiting to get munched standing on a silver platter.
    Last edited by crashg1972; 01-10-2011 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Added a few extra thoughts on Dr. Ark.

Destroyer of Worlds

The POW of the attack is the warbeasts base STR, so 11.

Finally played my 15 points of pigs tonight under Carver. They definitely hit hard, are hard to kill, and mobility is a great battle group spell.

I did not get to use either animus as I was using all of my fury each turn, though part of that is just getting used to what I want Carver to do each turn.
    Last edited by mongre36; 01-10-2011 at 10:30 PM.
    Painted MK2
    Khador: 221, Casters 8
    Mercenaries: 135, Casters 3
    Minions: 50, Warlocks 1

Quote Originally Posted by crashg1972 View Post
    Arkadius: I'm finding Arkadius to be less than useless. He doesn't have a plethora of offensive capabilities like Carver does, but his ranged attack potentual can be devasating really. (+2 STR from the dial, +2 STR from his evolution spell, then cast Primal from a very SAFE 22 inches away for a STR 15 attack.) If the evolution was upkept from a prior turn, you can cast this spell twice with boosted damage which will cook most enemy warcasters nicely! I feel he is primarily meant as a good second caster for larger games though. His medicine-bag of abilities and spells can set up an enemy for certain defeat.
    You'll need to give Primal Shock another read. The damage roll is at base STR (11). Buffs don't apply.

Combatant

I just dont think Arkadius is that bad.

Carver is just more easy button.

Every faction has their easy button, and Carver/Barnabus are ours.

I just really feel like Arkadius is a caster that preforms at 85% while Carver preforms at 86% and we're like ...OMG CARVER IS SO MUCH BETTER! ARKADIUS IS A WASTE! ERRATA HIM PLEASE!

I've yet to lose a game with Arkadius...

Sure it wasn't as awesome as Mobility/Batten, Mobility/Batten, Pop Feat/Mobility, win.

But it was still awesome.

Jesus guys, give him a chance and play him

You'll like him.

(this is the same discussion I always hear about OH WELL ASPHYXIOUS, or OH WELL BUTCHER CAN...in a vaccum of min/maxing every statistic...yes Carver is better on paper. You win! Now play Arkadius)

I feel sorry for the poor evil scientist.

Carver would be nowhere without him.

EDIT:
    I'd also like to add how much of a change in my personal strategy Arkadius has created by allowing me to COMPLETELY ignore the possibility of Arkadius being a tool for personal assassination. I love just perma leaving him in the back to do everything he needs to. With Carver (or any other caster) I spend so much time debating how I'm going to get their caster within range of the Hand of God.

DOUBLE EDIT:
    I really think the most disappointing part of Arkadius for me was his MAT...I really wanted an evil scientist of his caliber to be something more like MAT 9 with his surgeon hands. But when considering his skill at "poking" you with a syringe, compared to Vilmon's skill with a sword...yeah...sorry Dr.
    Last edited by theletterv; 01-11-2011 at 05:58 AM. Reason: ~ALSO~

Annihilator

Quote Originally Posted by relasine View Post
    You'll need to give Primal Shock another read. The damage roll is at base STR (11). Buffs don't apply.
    Which is why that spell breaks my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by IRSMARTLIKEROCK View Post
    Which is why that spell breaks my heart.
    Be glad it's that way. Otherwise Doomshaper could toss around it around at POW 16.

Annihilator

Would that really be broken?

I don't play Trolls but just looking at eDoomshaper's stats he's the same Fury as Arkadius.

Arkadius could do a Pow 15, against caster's they'd likely still need to Boost or generate a Knockdown.

The most either could toss out is 3 with 1 boosted; that's no where near old Skarre Bomb scary.

Also that means said caster isn't casting any of their other fancy spells that turn.

Warrior

Originally Posted by relasine
    "You'll need to give Primal Shock another read. The damage roll is at base STR (11). Buffs don't apply."
    I've read that card so much I have the text burned into my retinas as a permanent after-image. Kind of like the QVC logo on my grandmother's TV set. Thanks.

A Power 15 attack isn't unprecidented. Just would be nice in a caster than can othewise only acupuncture you to death...

The consensus of our group up here was that it pointedly referred to the power of the beasts statistic and not the P+S of the weapon or any kind of material add-ons. As opposed to boosting the critter through magic, ripping that power out again, and burning our opponent's eyebrows off with it.

If an ever-unmodifieable 11 is the case then I'd be a touch dissapointed being that its his only real offensive power in a game that seems bent on continually modding and enhancing stats and stacking abilities.

HOWEVER, on the bright side. If this is in fact the case. Some opponents will hate him to death since if you cannot add to the stat, therefore you cannot detract from it either, so any of the wasting or disease spells our opponents use on us won't reduce the power of this particular magic attack at all.

Destroyer of Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by relasine View Post
    Be glad it's that way. Otherwise Doomshaper could toss around it around at POW 16.
    I think it power 17 with Mulg. Either way.. it wonderful. I wonder if you cast it with brine, with bribes animi up if you could get 4 dice. I'd need to read the spell and animi.
    Wrap me up in my old flying jacket,
    And give me a joystick to hold, to hold,
    And I'll soar once again o'er the trenches
    And thus shall my exploits be told.

Destroyer of Worlds

It's pretty clear. Base STR is the STR printed on the card. Just look at that number and ignore all other distractions. In fact, that is one of the reasons that Arkadius is getting a lot of (in my opinion deserved) flak from the forums. He's kind of a Skornergetic caster: access to lots of STR buffs and a spell that works off STR but doesn't sync with buffs.

I wrote up some tactics on Carver and the rest of the Pact back in August, and then added my thoughts on Arkadius (and how the pact models work with him) this past Sunday.

The ignorant must be beaten with the Mallet of Wisdom until their heads are swollen and inflamed with knowledge.
    Check out my new blog, Captain Spud Is Amazing, where I post things on the schedule of "Whenever something's finished."
    My Painting/Conversion Thread | Full Privateer Release Schedule

Conqueror

Excellent write-ups! They've been quite helpfull for me and I imagine others will enjoy them as much as I did.

Grtz. Kiev