Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Destroyer of Worlds

Your skills are amazing without question. Great attention to detail.

My only nitpick is the houses strike me a very "LOTR" at this stage. Are you planning some IK detailing flavor via rivets, metal plating, boilers, gears, etc?

I think it would really sell the board if you want it to have that IK feel...

Conqueror

Yep, this whole project started as Lotr-gameboard but because i finally bought rulebooks for machine and hordes, i will use this also with those games..im not goint to add any machineflavored details on these houses but in the future projects and with the board im going more towards steampunk.

This is the reason why im using hexes because i can change the whole atmosphere of the board with only few different hexes when i change from lotr to machine/hordes.

Conqueror

...and a chain to the front side of the merchants house:

Great little details going on in the buildings. I especially like the decorations on the double door and on the side of the building with the stairs.

Looking forward to seeing how these get painted up.

Beautiful. I am sure that 2 of those buildings were inspired by the old Merchant's House and Blacksmith's Forge resin buildings from Tabletop World. You have recreated them very nicely and added more of your own details too. The interiors especially look amazing. Top notch work!

Conqueror

Yes, those fantastic houses were the inspiration for my project. I was going to buy those sets from Tabletop World but they discontinued the line. I then decided to make my own with extra detail and started the Inn also.
    Last edited by jojukorh; 02-01-2011 at 05:04 AM.

FYI Next time you carve your stones in the foam you might want to try using a pencil, the ink from the pens will bleed through your paint job (especially the red), and you are going to have to paint / prime the heck out of it. But, other than than, like everyone else has said.. Incredible job!

Conqueror

..the ink from the pens will bleed through your paint job (especially the red)..
    Really? I have never had that problem but now when i think of it i have allways used pencil in the earlier projects. Well, there is nothing that i can do about that anymore so lets see whats happens..

Really impressed with what have done so far. Can't wait to see them painted.
    I have a couple of questions. What thickness is the foam you used for the foundations. How many levels of the building are playable. The roofs are removable but can you also access the ground floors.

SFK
    "Average Dice", Biggest myth in gaming.

Great job mate. I've been thinking of building a replica of the Merchant's house myself, but your buildings take the whole concept one level further. In other words: Hemmetin mageita mökkejä

Thanks also for sharing the techniques. I have a couple of questions.
    - How did you do the roofs and from which material?
    - How high is one floor in centimeters? I've been wondering the right scale and your's look spot on.
    - How thick is that foam you used for the lower floor walls? And from where did you buy it?

Can't wait to see 'em painted. Cheers!
    Last edited by Mordjinn; 02-03-2011 at 02:20 AM.

Combatant

Spectacular! The level of detail and attention is stunning. Can't wait to see more!

Conqueror

Saxondog: I carved the bricks on a 3cm foam. Playable levels depends on the building:

Smiths house has two levels, first floor and the small second floor at the top of the stairs. Merchants house has only one level and the bar has two levels. I didnt make any basements (inside the bluefoam) because i thought that these houses are near water and occasional flooding may appear. Thats the reason all liveable levels are above the ground level.

Mordjinn: Kiitos kommenteista!! Playable levels are 7 cm high, bluefoam is 6 cm high. As i said earlier, the bluefoam is 3cm thick and i bought it from local hardwareshop( K-rauta, nimellä Finnfoam). If you mean those white walls, those are made from 3mm foamboard (kapalevy).

The roofs are made mainly from 1mm cardboard which is supported in various ways. I first cut sheets of cardboard and then dryfitted those and made the necessary adjustments. Then i supported the sheets (with balsa, foamboard, tape, plasticstripes ect. It doesnt matter how you do this because it wont be visible) and glued them together.

Last edited by jojukorh; 02-03-2011 at 11:31 AM.

Conqueror

..and the roof tiles were made from thin cardboard stripes:

It takes time but i think its worth it!

Thanks for the answer, I'll take a look and the local stores and see if they have something similar.

SFK
    "Average Dice", Biggest myth in gaming.

You realise he means card board strips which he has taken scissors too right? there is no pre-purchased magic going on there (unless I'm mistaken)
    Devilsquid - "Give a faction player a lemon, they'll cry about how they have to make lemonade. Give a merc player a lemon, he'll squeeze the juice in your eye, beat you down, and steal your lunch money". Searforge Painting & Modelling Thread

CoachB

Wow wow wow!

Simplistic in use of material but the craftsmanship is exquisite. A door with a working hinge and the roof tiles and the architecture and the detail and the......everything.

Seriously move to the Portland Oregon USA and I will serve you beers and offer you space to play with those pieces.

Man you Finns have got some skills.

Conqueror

I think that because we Finns have to stay inside all the time (because its so darn cold and dark in Finland) we have time to concentrate on our little hobbies...and this way we keep our sanity intact! =)

CoachB: thanks for your offer..playspace and beer allways sounds good together!

Maxxev: Yes, no pre-purchased magic...im too poor for that =)

Thanks for the answers and really helpful pictures. It is great to see that all the building stuff I've been hoarding for the future use is exactly what you've been using. Yay!
    Rob said that in the next PP insider there should be instructions of building IK houses. I must say they have to do really well to beat your instructions mate. Cheers!

WOW, you are inspering. I must rethink going to Finland

This should get a sticky..

Conqueror

Ok, word of warning to everybody:

If you are looking at my work and think " hmmm, i could also spend my time on all those little details and get goodlooking terrain", here me out!
    THINK AGAIN!! Today i worked on the windows and after long and hard work i realized that the result was rubbish. It popped in to my mind that why im wasting my time on these windows which have absolutely zero effect on the game itself?!?!? If you want to have decent looking terrain and like to play alot, dont follow my lead. There is no turning back for me but you can still enjoy your life with out headaches about little windows and stairs and freeking tiles....

So why do i do it? I enjoy those little challenges because nowdays i play maybe once a month. This is my way to enjoy the hobby but really, dont use your time on terraindetails if you want to keep your sanity! =) You can make triple the amount of terrain in the same time what you use on very detailed terrain...

Haha, back to business:

On the right is the first try to make the windows and as you can see, it looks too heavy/massive. The problems was that i made quite a few of those windows and lost too much time ripping them off from the wall...on the left you can see the new window concept which is better..here is a pic inside of the Inn after the rework:

Last edited by jojukorh; 02-06-2011 at 12:06 PM.

Sanity is for the weak.

Methinks part of the problem with your windows is the hinges are also too bulky. You're getting kindof a dungeon feel. Try using thinner plastic rod.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner." -Ben Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

Conqueror

Too thin and it would very easily break of...i will continue with these windows for the rest of the Inn, have to figure out something else for the other houses..

Annihilator

Given that it's the Iron Kingdoms, where thick metal rules the day, I don't think the hinges are a problem. I'd choose operable hinges over perfectly scaled hinges every time. That said, I do look forward to what your creative engineering designs for future hinges!

This has inspired me to start building houses. Thank you.

Conqueror

Finished all of the Inn´s windows, here is the second floor:

Up next : second floor doors...

Don't beat yourself up. You're doing a great job.

I also have spent many, many hours slaving away at moving doors and windows on my terrains. Also on LEDs to light torches, streetlamps, and other such features. Yes, it does take a long time, but it's always worth it.

Plus, you can always weave the opening of the windows into your scenario. For instance, you can say the shutters are locked from inside, and a unit or solo entering the house might need to spend their attack that activation unlocking and opening them. Makes them both a thing to covet for the protection they provide, and a thing to pause over, having to lose an attack.

If you also happen to be an RPGer, and you use these in your games, trust me: your fellow players are going to kiss your feet! It's always worth the effort.

I think the windows/shutters look awesome and look exactly how those IK items would look, imo!

T.
    Quote Originally Posted by vytzka View Post
    ... you don't have to tarpit something that is already dead.

you actually inspired me to start making terrain. it's nowhere near your level, but its a start!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragesmith:
    "Internet" of course coming from the ancient Babylonian word for "complaining loudly and constantly about a minor grievance."

Your work is just plain awesome! Really beautiful.

But I have a little thing to think about before you start building your hex fields... I thought about something similar myself. My idea was more about larger boards, but with circular outcuts of something like 20cm diameter which then can be switched.

The problem is, that this helps measuring during the game. If you're playing against someone just nearly competitive, he will fast discover, that he just needs to measure his command distance once to know the size of one hex field and pretty much knows all distances on the boards at once.

That's why I personally prefer to build all scenic elements very modular and put them on my plain boards. (... I'd so much like to have a zuzzy mat, but you can't really get them to europe. )

Cheers from Germany!

Conqueror

I tought about that when i designed the board and i decided that it isnt a problem for me for three reasons.

1) It also helps me to know the distances=)
    2) My gaming group is small and we are not so competitive
    3) All the bigger terrain objects (like the houses, walls ect.) are not attached to the board, so i can but them on plain table for more competitive game

Im more terrain maker and a painter than a player, so this kind of things just isnt that important to me.

I'm so jealous of these buildings...

{quietly pushes his buildings into the corner}

Conqueror

I havent updated a while but dont get me wrong, im still working on the project. At this moment im adding more details and building little stuff(like more doors and rivets..lots of rivets) so there isnt anything big to show you guys...but here are some new pics:

Rivets on the windows:

New door:

Details on the support beems:

..and a pic from a distance:

Your comments and criticism is welcome as always!!!

How does lifting up a layer of house effect gameplay?

Conqueror

O! M! G!!!!!!!!!!

This stuff is fan-FREAKING-tastic! Can't wait to see paint on them. Thanks so much for showing us the progress shots. When you get one done could you estimate work hrs for one of these for us?

I have decided to steal this style and build my own balsa-houses!

This is also giving me the bug to build some buildings too!
    Pictures of my Painted Cryx, Merc, Troolbloods, Menoth Armies http://www.figurepainters.com/galleries/
    Custom Bases available HERE

Conqueror

I have nothing to say ... but wow.
    Protectorate of Menoth; 25pts inbound
    Khador; Battlebox ready

Mind blowing houses, makes me wish I was 2 inches tall, nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by jojukorh View Post
    Finished the hinges on the big doors:

This is the situation at the moment with the bar and merchants house:

Thanks for your comments!! I dont think that my terrain is amazing. I have just spend some extra time with details which really makes terrain stand up. And if somebody says that " i dont have that much time to make terrain like that" he/she is sooooo wrong. I spend something like an hour every second day and this is the result. Everybody can find that kind of time if really wants to.

So roll up your sleeves and start making some terrain because i want to stare something else than my own terrain all the time =)
    Thanks for the encouragement. I (with a lot of help) just finished some hills and forests for our LGS. However your work IS GOOD.
    Look forward to seeing some more
    You want to find out how hard i can punch?--Tallahassee--Zombie Land.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast