Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

These are absolutely insane. The time it must be taking you to get that amount of detail must be crazy. Heck, I may just have to jump on a plane to Finland to do some gaming with your group after you are done just for the experience of playing on your gaming table with that terrain. Thanks for the in depth work in progress photos, it has really given me some good ideas for terrain I am working on.

Those are AWESOME Very nice work
    Always looking for games in my area so contact me if you have something coming up. Fort Wayne Indiana

Annihilator Alfonso the Traitor's Avatar

When all is done you really should submit some photo's and a article to No Quarter magazine .

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso the Traitor View Post
    When all is done you really should submit some photo's and a article to No Quarter magazine .
    Sceond that!

Conqueror

Ok, back on track!

I have been adding little details and made little tweeks to all the houses, but decided not to post any pics because there wasnt really anything new.

The houses are almost finished(wow) and thats the reason why i have started to think about the colors. I have tried many different combos and here is, at the moment, the best version for the walls:

Your work are really fantastic! Hyvin tehty!

Hyvin tehty indeed! Want to share your way of painting that color? What did you use for the texture of the wall and how did you do the grain on the wooden parts? I have my three buildings almost ready as well. Just need to glue on the roof tiles and then I'm going to paint.

Conqueror

I have to check the colors when i get back home. My whole idea when painting terrain is not to use black basecolor. For the houses i will use dark brown basecolour for everything because it will give nice oldish look and tie all the components together.

The texture on the walls is made from bakingpowder. Just thinned pva glue on the wall, add powder and shake off the ecxess. It gives quit nice surface alltought you have to be little carefull for the first layer of paint. At the center of the wall above you can see some flatt surface because i used too much force whit the brush and the powder moved slightly. After the first coat of paint the powder seals properly.

I made the grain on the balsa with blunt hoppy knife. Just draw the lines. Thats the reason why i used balsa because its so easy to mimic grain on it. I have quit a massive project waiting for me because i used quite alot balsa for the houses and all of those needs some grain!!!!

Im really looking forward to see what kind of result you get on the "same" house!!!!
    Last edited by jojukorh; 03-10-2011 at 03:47 AM.

Destroyer of Worlds snapshot_superhero's Avatar

As a tip, if you are looking to texture your walls, you may find it easier to actually mix your glue and texture. This will keep it from flaking off when you paint it.

Looks great so far!

The wood grain looks great, but the walls look a bit dark in the photo. The edges look good for the walls, but you might want to bring it up a bit further to a beige or so.

For wood, since I am modeling with balsa as well, I am trying out using real wood stain, to see how that comes out. From there I will highlight with paint or other chemicals.

7th Ring of Turmoil at the Purgatory CrossRoads

This is one fantabulous labor of awesome. Its those little extra details you spend time on which really puts these a cut above making them such stand out COOL. Any sneak peaks available for how this little harbor venture will turn out?

Very inspirational stuffs.

Conqueror

Thank you for your comments!!

The harbor itself is on hold at the moment because i want to finish the houses first. I have sketched the harbor on paper so when the time comes its only matter of construction to finish the harbor.

I forget to post pics of the door under the merchants outside stairs, so here are some:

Also one new thing is slowing down the project. Because Mordjinn made so beautiful houses, i decided to try something little bit different for my house so that it would look also as good as his. I try completely new method (for me) to build a window. Here is where it started:

...and after the construction and some paint:

...continue in the next post...

Conqueror

..so whats new? I sealed of the backside of the window:

...and poured realistic water on the window. I have neverever tried this so this could be a massive failure BUT i think the window would look fairly cool if i can pull this off!!

So now i have to wait it to harden and i think that i have to add more water because realistic water shrinks a bit. My only concern is that will the plastic sheet come of from the backside of the window...=)

And as always, when you push your skills to the limits it just doesnt always work..here is window frame n.1:

Haha, live and learn!!!

Conqueror

It turned out quite nice and the effect is just what i wanted. Only thing that didnt go as i planned was those air bubbles. I tried to pop those with a needle but didnt get all of them. Usually some bubbles disappear by themself when the water cures but now i had really old water effect and i think that because it was really stiff, bubbles coudnt free themself=)

Anyway, im pleased and im going to use this technique in the future also...

Quote Originally Posted by jojukorh View Post
    I have just spend some extra time with details which really makes terrain stand up. And if somebody says that " i dont have that much time to make terrain like that" he/she is sooooo wrong. I spend something like an hour every second day and this is the result. Everybody can find that kind of time if really wants to.

So roll up your sleeves and start making some terrain because i want to stare something else than my own terrain all the time =)
    That's the most eloquent and succinct way of saying that I've run across also absolutely true.

It turned out quite nice and the effect is just what i wanted. Only thing that didnt go as i planned was those air bubbles. I tried to pop those with a needle but didnt get all of them. Usually some bubbles disappear by themself when the water cures but now i had really old water effect and i think that because it was really stiff, bubbles coudnt free themself=)

Anyway, im pleased and im going to use this technique in the future also...
    That is an awesome way to do windows. I am very impressed
    The Legend.

Social Media at Whitemoon Dreams.

The man behind Kingdom-Con.

Remember that really old glass had lots of bubbles in it anyway so you can with confidence say you did it on purpose

yeah but really old glass was coloured and not clear :P

maybe you shoudl try some coloured windows, like glass in lead kind of thing. that would look great too.

I would not let my friends anywhere near these. The break metal. Not glue bonds. Pewter. They'd breath heavy and break these works of art.

Conqueror

God, this thread just gets better and better.

Actually the bubbles (in the window's glass) just make it look better, more like really old glass panes.

Conqueror

..few sneakpeak wips fotos..

I think your on the right track, on the reaper website they got an interesting article on how to make stain glass low cost.
    Ya, I'm from El Paso.

Historical leaded glass had air bubbles in it, so it matches the look and feel of historical glass. I have worked with these products in the past and found that you need heat to force the bubbles to go away while it is curing. Try either using a hair dryer or, if you're an idiot like me, an open flame like a lighter or matches (PARENTAL WARNING: Don't try the latter at home kids).

Those windows really did come out nice.

Are you planning to add any LEDs inside the finished building?
    Because you never know when you are going to need a crash helmet!

Conqueror

I think that i will leave LEDs alone because,

a) finishing these houses would take even longer

and

b) i suck with electronics..

Conqueror

Ok, i have lost my inspiration..i have time to build the houses but i dont know what to do...well some progress have occurred anyway..

I made these doors to the merchants balcony. Again i used realistic water and it didnt work as i planned but i dont have the strength to do it all over..

I also made the front door and again, im not happy about it..

I really hope that i will find my inspiration somewhere soon...

These are stunning. You dont seem to have messaging on the forums turned on but im wondering if you would be interested either contributing your wonderful terrain making skills and article coverage to a website im starting up. You talents really need to be showcased to a larger audience.

check the website out Hand Cannon Online

and please drop me a line at Lucas@Handcannononline.com
    Last edited by Geist; 03-31-2011 at 01:30 PM. Reason: fix link
    R.I.P. Greedo1379 (1980-2006)...known by many, misssed by all.

Quote Originally Posted by Geist View Post
    These are stunning. You dont seem to have messaging on the forums turned on but im wondering if you would be interested either contributing your wonderful terrain making skills and article coverage to a website im starting up. You talents really need to be showcased to a larger audience.

check the website out Hand Cannon Online

and please drop me a line at Lucas@Handcannononline.com
    The link seems to be busted

fixed

(10 char)

Conqueror

Sorry that i havent updated the project for a while but i have good reason. I became a father a week ago so all my hobbytime diminished alot BUT i have done some minor work on the houses..

I dont have the time or the energy to start the painting process so i add more little details. Here im working with the chimney..

The roof above the door was really a pain in the tail!! Here is what it looks alike..im not 100% happy about it but it will do. There will be few signs above the door..

And Geist, i will aswer you soon..

Conqueror

.... the sound of a jaw hitting the floor .....

AMAZING!!!

Conqueror

Congratulations on the birth of your future wargamer! And as always, your buildings look fantastic and thanks for sharing!

Congratulations on becoming a father and take your time. your child and family definitely need you im sure! was it a boy or girl?

Conqueror

A boy...future terrainmaker!!

Awesome terrain! I have followed it from the beginning but I each time forgot to post. So you deserved a complement. I love the kind of terrain you make. It pushes me to go further with detailing on my terrain.
    Are you gonna enter Rob Hawkins' contest. You would make a huge chance with these buildings.
    And congrats with your son.
    "If you liked it, you should have put a Fellblade on it."

I would like to say you sir are nut. that terrain is super killer and so good looking.
    I have a form of Dyslexia. My spelling may suck from time to time.

Conqueror

Yes, im still here and the project is alive:

I have all the paints ready for the final job. What i need is time.

Wow, I can't wait to see these get painted. Your terrain is both inspired and inspirational.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast