Destroyer of Worlds KamenRiderNecro's Avatar

Default Citadel 'Ardcoat and Its Use

So, I have purchased some Citadel 'Ardcoat (or just Varnish, as they call it these days). Would you people out there mind giving me some tips on how to use it properly so that it will look right on my minis? Thanks!

What are you intending to do? Do you want to use it over everything for protection, or just in specific places to make certain things shiny? For the former, I can't help you, as I've never used it that way. For the latter, just paint it on whatever you want to be shiny (for example, gems, goggle lenses, or pressure gauges on warjack boilers). For large areas especially, try to thin it with some water so that you won't see brushstrokes, and also try to keep whatever layers are underneath as smooth as possible as well. The thing about shiny surfaces is that texture is much more visible than on matte surfaces, so you want to have as little unwanted texture as possible.
    Check out my Hand Cannon Online tutorials:

You can find my painted minis in the Painting Thread Locator.
    Don't be afraid to paint outside the lines!

Follow it up with a coat of matt medium and the shine will be gone.

@Althai: Intending to use it for both purposes, and wanted to just get a feel for it (do I have to thin it with water or alcohol, etc). I seem to recall the recipe for protectiveness is one layer gloss and two layers matte?

Althai's advice is right on the money here. I usually put an extra coat of 'Ardcoat on cape hems, weapon tips, and anywhere that will get knocked or rubbed quite a bit during game play. I always hit it with a light matte spray afterwards to kill the shine (unless I'm trying to get a shiny effect)

You can also use it in layers to build up ice effects. Check out the Juggernaut's ice axe (third pic down in this thread).

Annihilator

For future purchases, avoid GW for varnish, i've heard nothing but horror stories about the quality of their spray and the amount of frosting that it produces. Take a look at the Testors range, their Matte varnish is a beautiful product that lovingly hugs your minatures.
    Last edited by hooligantuesday; 02-16-2011 at 01:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hooligantuesday View Post
    For future purchases, avoid GW for varnish, i've heard nothing but horror stories about the quality of their spray and the amount of frosting that it produces. Take a look at the Testors range, their Matte varnish is a beautiful product that lovingly hungs your minatures.
    I've been using GW varnish for over a decade and i've had one instance of it frosting. In that time i must have varnished thousands of minis, so it certainly isn't that GW varnish is lacking in quality. It's more likely temperature or humidity affecting the varnish and causing the frostiness. That being said, i use Testors alongside GW stuff and i recommend both ranges - neither give me any issues.

However, i'm not sure i want my models "lovingly hung" .

Annihilator

Fair point, i was standing too close to the Testors matte varnish when i sealed my Pyg's today, now all my typos are disturbingly suggestive.

To clarify, this is the brush on stuff I purchased, not spray.

First, God bless you for using the proper form of "its" in the thread title. It's worth replying for that alone.

On topic, I use 'Ardcoat to protect my minis. I thin it with water so it coats more evenly, then spray the whole thing with a matte coating to kill the shine. It's worked like a charm so far, as I've yet to have even the usual chipping around the edges of coats/capes/weapons/etc.
    Like my avatar? Check out more Cardfighters art HERE!

So just add a tad of water to thin it and then take it from there? How many coats of it do you normally use before the matte finish (I do have spray matte finish here at the house)?

I just add water. That's it. I only do 1, maybe 2 coats max before the matte spray, but I let the 'Ardcoat set up for a good 24 hours at least before spraying.

@OldOneEye: Thanks! 24 hours' drying time between coats of 'Ardcoat, too?

Nah, I don't wait that long between individual coats. Probably a couple hours, long enough for it to get dry. You just want to avoid it pooling up in some of the deeper recesses, as it'll lose its transparency if it's on too thick.

Destroyer of Worlds ICleadpeople's Avatar

I use it on sharp points and edges but I've switched to Velejo due to issues with the hard coat drying out. Just picked up Testors dull coat and will never use anything else.