Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Cryx-nar: an epic conversion adventure

The following is the tale of my tier 4 Kraye list:

It all started with the contest in no quarter...28, was it? the one where readers were challenged to thrall-ify their favorite character. My buddy Ray was all over this. He is a cryxian at heart, and a sucker for OTT conversions. This contest was just the excuse he needed to dive into his next ridiculous mod. However, what to mod? He comes to me for advice.

"Just turn Kraye into a soul hunter." I tell him, after very little thought. Overjoyed with the idea, Ray springs into action immediately. After a mere 6 hours of hacking and pinning, followed by a few days of painting this is the result:

Unfortunately, his contest entry was lost. But oh well, he had this fantastic model. I thought it was amazing and was myself inspired. I had been thinking of expanding into a few other factions, one tier list at a time. Kraye was on that list. After seeing this conversion I bartered with Ray to get it off his hands as the start of a full 50 point list of Cygnar models that had been repurposed by some necrotechs.

After careful planning, the bits order was made:

More to come.
    Amon Ad-Raza: 'Cuz with Synergy, dice rolling is just a formality.

The first model on the to-convert list was the lronclad. (or crabclad as he's come to be known) Between the ideas of Cygnar taken by Cryx, and Kraye turning all his 'jacks into cavalry, I came up with the idea of putting everybody on four legs. So Leviathan bits are in order here. While we're at it, may as well replace that open fist with a different kind of open fist eh? How about a levi crushing claw? Then, to top it all off, spines. Spines everywhere. Here's a rundown of how the process went:

The components:

Pinning the legs to the pelvis:

Legs complete, onto the torso:

Ball joint + ball joint, poses a bit of a problem. Fortunately, the owner of my FLGS was kind enough to let me use a belt sander he had laying around to file that down to a pair of nice, flat surfaces. Went right through the metal. I recommend it for stuff like this:

To be continued...

a bit of pinning and...

Almost done! all that's left is the spines. I happen to have ordered four sprues of deathjack spines, that's 20 spines and he happens to have 16 little nubbins on his shoulders. Should work out! But holy crap, what a pain in my @$$...

That's a lot of pinning! Here's the other end of it:

Between putting holes in all those little spines, and then drilling the 16 holes for those spines to go into, all by hand with my little pin vice, I spent about 3 hours. quadrupling the time I've already spent on it. But it was worth every second for the finished product:

Well! one 'jack down, only six more to go! I think the Charger will be up next...

WOW!! Can't wait to see what else is in store!!! Fantastic!

Epic win. Subscribed; this'll be amazing.

Painted Legion (14/20)

Ludicryxly awesome! Can't wait to see more!

Alright, up next is the charger. This fellow is definently gonna end up as the simplest of my conversions here. For the light jacks I'll be using stalker legs, just the rear ones. Easy enough to flip them around for front and back, and they're quite thin and therefore easily bent to the angles I need.

Here's the intended Charger components:

Almost entirely Cygnar bits in this one! Weird! A simple pin all the way through the hips, twice to get the legs on there:

Wow, almost done already. Like I said, simplest mod here. From this point, just attached to the base, glue some arms on, and the obligitory spikes, and we're already done!

Whoo! This one went quick! Good thing too, cuz the hunter that's next on the list is gonna be rough.

Now this is unique and really interesting. I really like your conversions. They mesh together very well and are really imaginative. Can't to see the whole army fleshed out (so to speak).

Just in case you can't tell, I did alot of these all at once, and I'm just now getting them posted, so the first few chapters are all gonna spring up immediately.

So on the hunter, I got a little excited and forgot to take the initial components picture before I started hacking away... oops... Shame, too, cuz he's the most altered. More stalker legs, a harrower cannon (I know, it's huge!), Bane Thrall UA axe, and cankerworm face.

First off, a simple snip and replace on the axe:

Unfortunately, the left leg is molded to the torso. this makes for some difficulty, attaching four more legs, so off it goes, along with the little hip guard things:

Pin holes all the way through the pelvis, and some leg-stacking like I emplyed on the Crabclad, and we have the legs set:

(finished product in next post...)

Pin that giant Harrower cannon on, attach the other arm and the Cankerworm face, then slap a Bane Kight spikes mohawk on there and we have another finished conversion! (definetly gotta get this one painted soon, hard to see all the detail the way he is...)

and another angle...

Now the Sentinel poses a little bit of a challenge, what with the plastic model not being out yet, and me refusing to use that tiny metal one, so I'll just use that plastic lancer I got in the battlebox. The Leviathan gun will do for his chain gun, after all, it is some manner of repeating weapon with multiple barrels, yea? should work. Then that Bane Knight officer sure has big pauldrons... I bet a couple of those could do for a light 'jack shield in a pinch.

Anyway, here's the bits going into the Sentinel:

Used that belt sander again on the double-ball joint. (D'oh! filed the wrong shoulder!)

Bane officer pauldrons get a couple of pins driven into them to make the shield:

Went back and filed down the correct arm for the gun, covered up that flat spot with the other arm. using the same technique for the legs here as I did on the Charger, so that didn't get documented. Went ahead and slapped some bane thrall spikes on the shoulders for variety and here he is:

Well, folks, That's all the models I've finished so far, hopefully soon I'll be able to show you the convereted stormclad and maybe some of these guys painted.

I love it! So much! Cryx makes everything better, including Kraye and his cav jack swarm.

I can't wait to see more of what you do and especially when they get painted.
    Currently despondent over all the pretty Goraxes that are going to be defiled by Minions players...
    For love. For honor. For Devilsquid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyHolly
    Blind me once, shame on you. Blind me twice, shame on me. Blind me thrice, whine on the internet somewhere

Destroyer of Worlds Temoinlanuit's Avatar

I love full conversions. Looking good. Keep us posted
    Quote Originally Posted by Killionaire
    I happen to however, want to discuss the merits and flaws of specific parts of the game in a context of purely a competitive setting. Mindlessly saying 'learn to play, you don't know the secrets I dooooo!' is not a rational defense in a debate setting.

Destroyer of Worlds Dark Fledgling's Avatar

This is so friggan sweet!! Can't wait for more!
    When you do get a second though, could you you post your list so we know what other conversions we have to look forward too?

I think I like the charger the best so far, simple is good, and he seems to look the most natural of all the conversions. That is, if cryx can be considered natural...
    -DF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ysthrall View Post
    I harnessed the raw brutal power of the storm and all I got was this POW 10.

His name is MohSAR, not MoSHAR! Jeez, please stop the madness!

Sweet mother of God - they look amazing!
    There's an evil monkey in my closet .

This is such a great idea. I love the fact that you've clearly thought about keeping the theme consistent with the multiple legs and shoulder spikes, and the conversions are all very well done and look great. It's a shame the hunter is all metal - as you said it makes it much harder to see any details, but from what I can make out it looks just as good as the rest of them. I can't wait to see what else you've got up your sleeve.

We don't see enough of this kind of project on these boards in my opinion.
    David Brown

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."
    -Albert Einstein

This is very cool. Can't wait to see how you zombify some rangers.
    50 pts Tier 4 Ravens of War - 32 pts remaining
    50 pts Tier 4 Black Magic - 30 pts + B&B remaining
    35 pts Tier 4 Rearguard - 8 pts remaining

OK I find this all very interesting. I've come from a Warhammer background where in the tournament scene many people would do major extreme conversions and often inter-race mixtures such as this. Interestingly when I made the move to Warmachine, I was told that in order to play in tournaments you must use the official models, and the bulk of the miniature must be made up of the official miniature. While I applaud your creative efforts, how legal would an army like this be for tournament play in official steamroller events?

Staks.

I go by that as long as 51% of the miniature is the right one (or it looks like it should, no questions asked), I think it's ok.
    In private, as long as it's somewhat obvious and my opponent doesn't get annoyed by me asking all the time :P

Anyways, theese look awesome!
    Brilliant idea and nice execution. Now get to painting! ^^

Cheers ^^
    Rejoice: For bad things are about to happen.

And yes, that is the flying monkey that stole your avatar.

Looking fantastic so far. Can't wait to see more updates.

Wish I'd thought of it

Destroyer of Worlds jonconcarne's Avatar

These look amazing. Especially because Kraye is the caster in Cygnar that I really want to play the most. So good.
    The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanctjud View Post
    I am the Pedobear of the forums, except I spout out "MOAR BANEZ" instead of "FREE CANDY"!

Simply beautiful conversions. I am not a huge cryx fan but this is brilliant work. The best thing is that they these models blend the Cryx and Cygnar elements so well. Wish I had thought of it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Fledgling View Post
    This is so friggan sweet!! Can't wait for more!
    When you do get a second though, could you you post your list so we know what other conversions we have to look forward too?
    Yeah, can't believe I didn't do that already.

Kraye
    Stormclad
    Ironclad
    Charger
    Sentinel
    Sentinel
    Hunter
    Hunter
    Rangers
    Rangers
    Black 13th
    Mechanik and 5 gobbers

Thanks for all the comments, guys! It's really encouraging.

If your painting is half as good as your conversion work, this is going to be one knockout force!

Quote Originally Posted by DrQ View Post
    It seems like some folks were expecting 3utcher to be eHaley and got eCaine instead.

Holy crap. You actually managed to make Cygnar seem cool.
    Currently playing: Farrow & Skorne

Alright, back to work. Today's project is the stormclad. This will probably be my most complex conversion. Lots of cutting going into this one, too delicate for my standard cutters, so I borrowed a friend's jewelry saw. But now I'm getting ahead of myself. Here's the stormclad components:

So, first order of business, I wanna use that crushing claw as his open fist, but I also need to get that buckler on there. The stormclad one has a nice, flat surface for painting my spiffy cryx-nar logo onto, but it's molded to the boring stormclad fist. So, go go jewelry saw!

Once again, I encounter things being molded where I don't want them in the legs/lower torso. Sawsawsawsaw...

Now for something a but more difficult. The stormclad sword is kind of iconic, and it's got that lightning coil running down the middle of it, so replacing it outright is just not an option. How will I remember the electro leaps if I do? But at the same time, it's just not cryx-y enough. So what I decide to do is cut off the front of the stock sword and replace it with the front bit of terminus' sword. Lots of cutting here...

Whew, so much effort already and I'm nowhere near done! Oh well, it'll be worth it. Should have more to show you tonight.

Brilliant idea with the sword!!!!

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out

Subscribed. This is epic.

Paint! They demand Paint! Oh man, I can't wait to see this done!
    Shortest story ever told: "For sale. Baby shoes. Never Worn."

Truly an awesome undertaking. I wish someone payed me to make an army like this for them. I would love to try my hand at something like this!

"I can't remember if that happened, I think I know what you're talking about, but that was during the period of time I believe when Superboy Prime was punching reality."
    -Sinsation

Looking forward to seeing the end results!
    Currently playing: Farrow & Skorne

Very cool. Really like the jacks, esp the Sentinel-Leviathan.
    Judge since February 22, 2013.

2014 WTC Committee Member & Referee

How did I miss this thread?

Amazing stuff

Ok, finished the stormclad, actually finished him a few days ago, just now posting...anyhoo, here's the steps:

K, well the flag doesn't do anything anymore, but it's still awesome. It is however, very cygnar... So...yay new cryx flag! had to file off the thrall hand though.

Easy enough. Then I do the same technique I used on the ironclad to stick the legs on there. This one will be rearing up on it's hind legs, so weird angles this time.

So while that was drying, I started drilling these holes.

ok, so now I feel comfortable putting the upper torso together. Using nightmare's head, pinned the CRAP outta that flag.

I'll post the last bits here later...

Onward!

Upper torso is now complete, pinned both arms on, sawed the right hand off, then re-attached it, got those seether spines on there too.

now, at this point, I got ahead of myself (again) and forgot to take pictures of the base assembly. Basically, it's the rest of the leviathan, along with a few other random bits I had left over from the other' jacks. Had to reposition the head, but it worked out. I think I captured the image of a full tilt ride-by attack quite well, if I do say so myself...

Now, behold my transportation nightmare!

This is freaking epic!

Warmahordes needs more full converted armys like this!

Out of curiosity, how much is the total bill looking? My wallet feels like my crouch when I watch America's Funniest Home Videos looking at all of these amazing conversions.

Well, if I remember my model prices correctly, the total cost of the army is around $240. The bits order, not counting the whole leviathan and soulhunter that were given to me for this project, came to $98.50. So with that, and the fact that my friends gave me a hunter and a box of rangers, this whole ordeal is costing me somewhere around $300. Way easier on my wallet than my previous 50 pt list that I just got done building, which came to a massive $11 per point, and that one isn't converted.

Well, while I'm in here, I may as well post my first black 13th proxy it's blackbane with pCaine's right hand. Easy. He'll stand in for lynch (lynch, that's the leader, right?)

Oooooooo. I like Blackbane as Lynch. Also, you did a fantastic job on that Stormclad.

Are you planning to paint these in your normal Cryx colours (looks like Cryx jacks in the bottom of that picture) or something else?
    Currently despondent over all the pretty Goraxes that are going to be defiled by Minions players...
    For love. For honor. For Devilsquid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyHolly
    Blind me once, shame on you. Blind me twice, shame on me. Blind me thrice, whine on the internet somewhere

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast